I'm wondering how good security BlackBerry smartphone email if I give my credit card number and expiry date to someone I trust? I did give Credit Card number one time but without expiry date. I am using Hotmail email right in BlackBerry Z10 smartphone. Someone saying he feel full confidence BlackBerry email security that can give out Credit Card information out? How do feel by this?
    04-30-14 08:56 AM
    I'm wondering how good security BlackBerry smartphone email if I give my credit card number and expiry date to someone I trust? I did give Credit Card number one time but without expiry date. I am using Hotmail email right in BlackBerry Z10 smartphone. Someone saying he feel full confidence BlackBerry email security that can give out Credit Card information out? How do feel by this?

Email is not a secure from of communication unless both parties are using some form of encryption. And if you are using a non-BES Z10... you are using pretty much all the same communication standards as everyone else. If you are using a BES Z10, at some point it will leave BlackBerry's network and travel through other networks that are not as secure.

That said how secure is your credit card when you hand it to a waiter at the restaurant and he disappears for 5 minutes....
    jpvj and PHughes like this.
    04-30-14 09:09 AM
    Make sense. The salesman at Ford dealer saying he is full confidence of secure of BlackBerry smartphone email. I am assume he wrong. Thanks.
    04-30-14 02:09 PM
    Also, if you are using wifi, at some public place (cafe, library, etc) and use it for email, it is as secure (or not) as the wifi connection.
    04-30-14 06:23 PM
    To make sure you are on a safe boat, you can subscribe to VPN services that will allow you to access your email and browse securely and/or anonymously through public Wi-Fi hotspots from your phone for a monthly fee. In a VPN, the device at each end of the tunnel encrypt the data entering the tunnel and decrypt it at the other end.
    05-01-14 12:14 PM
    To make sure you are on a safe boat, you can subscribe to VPN services that will allow you to access your email and browse securely and/or anonymously through public Wi-Fi hotspots from your phone for a monthly fee. In a VPN, the device at each end of the tunnel encrypt the data entering the tunnel and decrypt it at the other end.
    VPN would work between a device and your companies email server.... and someone using VPN on the same network. But once your email left that network, it would no longer be truly encrypted it would bounced around switches and servers on the internet, until it arrived at the recipient (who may or may not be on a Wi-Fi hotspot).

The key to BlackBerry security was more that it created a VPN "like" connection between the device and your BES Server which was sitting right next to your Exchange Server (in most cases), so in network emails are secure. Once it left the company... that changed. Or better BBM messages which are always on the same BlackBerry Network (but the apparently all using the same "key").
    Dr Rose likes this.
    05-02-14 07:15 AM