So I just picked up a new Z10 and got rid of my iPhone, good riddance. After having it for 2 days I am really really impressed. Enough to pick up a decent amount of BBRY stock, I have a feeling they are finally back on the right path. However, the contacts application on the Z10 is beyond frustrating. I have no idea how more people are not more frustrated with the lack of control the user is given over contact integration on the Z10.

My issues:

1. While the social integration within Z10 contacts is a very good idea, however, oh how frustrating it is. Every contact of mine that finds a corresponding Facebook or Twitter force fills information from those sources under my contacts. I have no interest in having this happen (ie. all my birthdays, numbers, emails are already correctly filed under my gmail contacts), however I would enjoy having the ability to see their updates and activities from the contacts. When attempting to delete say a birthday or education from the contacts the information is immediate force fed right back in indicating a OS level integration between a contact "master list" including gmail, facebook, twitter, ect. This is especial evident when composing say a text message....see #2

2. When composing say a text message one starts typing a name "ja..." and the list starts to auto populate from the aforementioned "master list" including Facebook contacts and emails. Where is the logic in populating a text message to: column with emails?

Why cant app contact information be retained within the app and allow the user the ability to use the information if they would like to do so?

I spent 2 hours with blackberry on this issue and they indicated that they will forward it to the development team. Are people not as frustrated with this as I am?
    CDM76, angieberry10 and bros3n like this.
    04-10-13 01:07 AM
    I feel your pain. I simply got used to the contacts.

Sent From My BlackBerry Z10
    Mischief433, SDTRMG and CDM76 like this.
    04-10-13 01:22 AM
    You have all the birthdays and related information manually filled out on your Gmail? Damn, the feature in BlackBerry contacts is supposed to help regular consumers save a lot of time by not doing that lol.

But you're not a regular consumer it seems. You're a darn OS on your own! No wonder you find it inefficient.

As for the text message where then email addresses populate.. yeah I'm not sure why it does that but I really think there's a reason. It's done this on all BlackBerry phones in the past, would like to know what exactly then purpose is, but I really have the feeling there is a purpose since it's been so uniform throughout BlackBerry phones, and they don't kid around when it comes to comms.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 01:44 AM
    I text someone named "Bob" a few times a day. Every time i search contacts for bob, it first displays a guy i went to high school with, putting the bob i wanted to text off the screen...worse, the one its showing doesn't even have a phone number...

It should show common contacts and ones with phone numbers first...

Posted via CB10
    angieberry10 likes this.
    04-10-13 01:57 AM
    zerobelow, I agree. atleast it sohould show "your" contacts first, then the rest, although I dont understand why this cant be toggled off.

agp101, not all of them, but those that I have are showing up duplicate and i cant delete the ones from Facebook. Maybe I am OCD but I want my information shown since I know it to be correct, not that which someone puts on their profile. Where there is a benefit to someone who wants all that information displayed why not simply allow the user to choose what they want synced and what they do not.
    04-10-13 02:29 AM
    I just wish it had the option of making groups you could separate instead of having to scroll down that long *** list of contacts.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 03:51 AM
    I text someone named "Bob" a few times a day. Every time i search contacts for bob, it first displays a guy i went to high school with, putting the bob i wanted to text off the screen...worse, the one its showing doesn't even have a phone number...

It should show common contacts and ones with phone numbers first...

Posted via CB10
    Wouldn't you want to keep your sms conversation with "Bob" in your Hub or Text Messages App, so that you can easily retrieve and repeat your text? Why do you need to keep searching for his name in Contacts?

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 04:04 AM
    I just wish it had the option of making groups you could separate instead of having to scroll down that long *** list of contacts.

Posted via CB10
    Groups would be a nice-to-have. But without it, you can still get to your contacts pretty fast.

Have you used the index at the side of your Contacts view? If I want "Bob", other than using the Search function, I can just tap "B" to jump to entries starting with the letter "B".

How are people not more frustrated about the blackberry contacts??!!-img_00000473_edit.png

You can even add a number or symbol before the name, to put some special people always at the top of your Contacts list.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 04:12 AM
    For the multiple contacts issue we can achieve link the same contacts together right? That's what I did

Posted via CB10
    AngryEdmontonian likes this.
    04-10-13 04:16 AM
    The contact issue is a big one and it's causing several issues. I myself just learned of it last night and I spoke to Verizon and the agreed BlackBerry needs to fix this issue ASAP.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 04:17 AM
    Contacts are driving me mad on Z10, had to unlink facebook to be able to save changes + I have no idea how to access and delete local contacts. Hope this will be fixed in an update soon.

Posted via CB10
    amkas90 likes this.
    04-10-13 05:00 AM
    I sync my outlook com contacts and some dont appear. So I have to un check the contacts and recheck it for them to appear. And even then some are missing. Plus, nearly every contact has 5 duplicates. Gets annoying. On top of that, some Facebook contacts don't sync pictures etc

Posted via CB10
    amkas90 likes this.
    04-10-13 05:04 AM
    I have had to reload my Gmail account twice so far I keep loosing my contacts. The email is still there but the contacts disappear. I spoke to Verizon support last night and blackberry is aware of all the issues with the contacts and they are hoping for a quick fix.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 05:16 AM
    What drives me insane, is somehow, most of my contacts that I have show the phone number I entered for them in my address book, PLUS a duplicate in the format +1##########. So when autofill is looking for a contact when I'm trying to compose a new SMS, the list is ridiculously long because of all the duplicates showing up.
    amkas90 likes this.
    04-10-13 05:20 AM
    You can't choose to not include social?
    robson21 likes this.
    04-10-13 05:28 AM
    The moment I bought Z10, I had taken backup and outlook sync but was urprised to see, z10 neither supported backup from previous BB devices nor sync with outlook. I was so frustated but was unable to do anything. only one option was available to transfer contacts thru buetooth. One can imagine pain of tranferring 1400 contacts one by one.

Yes, integration with other social netwroks have been aweful. lot of improvements are to be required.
    04-10-13 07:02 AM
    While your in your contacts, swipe down from the top and the settings icon will appear. Tap that and you can turn your Facebook and Twitter contacts off so they don't show up in your contact list.
    duckduke, kbz1960, SDTRMG and 2 others like this.
    04-10-13 07:30 AM
    While your in your contacts, swipe down from the top and the settings icon will appear. Tap that and you can turn your Facebook and Twitter contacts off so they don't show up in your contact list.
    x1 ...... what I was going to say

You can set your contacts to appear the way you want them using the above tip.
    04-10-13 07:39 AM
    x1 ...... what I was going to say

You can set your contacts to appear the way you want them using the above tip.
    Yes, but all this does is it prevents from the "Facebook" "Twitter" contacts from appearing on the left of the contact screen. However from the moment Facebook and Twitter are installed they are force linked to all contacts no matter what the aforementioned settings to on or off. It seems many people have some issues with the contacts, but my primary issue is this force linking, where it is nice that the contacts are linked, I dont understand why it force feeds information from Facebook to my contacts (ie. birthday, mobile number, education, experience) some of which I have no interest in being displayed in my contacts (experience, education) and other things that I dont need since I already have the information (mobile number, email ect) which just shows up in duplicate. That is if I have someones mobile number formated 1 (555) 555-5555 and they have posted their mobile number 1555-555-555 the Z10 will make duplicate mobile numbers. All I'm saying is if the Z10 is going to force link the accounts please allow me to select what information I want force fed into my contacts. All for linking accounts for ease of access, very frustrated with the inability to selectively delete some contact information that was added by Facebook or Twitter.
    SteelGreek and frifred like this.
    04-10-13 10:14 AM
    Contacts is a disaster imo, for me at least. I have about 100 completely blank contacts above my first contact. Can't get rid of them. I delete them and they always come back. I've turned off everything in my contacts app that isn't necessary, and I can browse them fine from the actual contacts application, but any other app that populates a contacts field pulls all these nothing contacts.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 10:21 AM
    So I just picked up a new Z10 and got rid of my iPhone, good riddance. After having it for 2 days I am really really impressed. Enough to pick up a decent amount of BBRY stock, I have a feeling they are finally back on the right path. However, the contacts application on the Z10 is beyond frustrating. I have no idea how more people are not more frustrated with the lack of control the user is given over contact integration on the Z10.

My issues:

1. While the social integration within Z10 contacts is a very good idea, however, oh how frustrating it is. Every contact of mine that finds a corresponding Facebook or Twitter force fills information from those sources under my contacts. I have no interest in having this happen (ie. all my birthdays, numbers, emails are already correctly filed under my gmail contacts), however I would enjoy having the ability to see their updates and activities from the contacts. When attempting to delete say a birthday or education from the contacts the information is immediate force fed right back in indicating a OS level integration between a contact "master list" including gmail, facebook, twitter, ect. This is especial evident when composing say a text message....see #2

2. When composing say a text message one starts typing a name "ja..." and the list starts to auto populate from the aforementioned "master list" including Facebook contacts and emails. Where is the logic in populating a text message to: column with emails?

Why cant app contact information be retained within the app and allow the user the ability to use the information if they would like to do so?

I spent 2 hours with blackberry on this issue and they indicated that they will forward it to the development team. Are people not as frustrated with this as I am?
    This is the one frustration I have with my Z10. I dont like the address book format at all. Thanks for bringing this up with BBerry, hopefully they rectify this annoyance!
    04-10-13 10:30 AM
    Don't get me wrong, I like the actual layout of the contacts, I think each contacts' actual screen looks fantastic, and its great how it pulls information from related sources. The implementation and population of contacts is just damn messy at times.
    04-10-13 10:32 AM
    Contacts is a disaster imo, for me at least. I have about 100 completely blank contacts above my first contact. Can't get rid of them. I delete them and they always come back. I've turned off everything in my contacts app that isn't necessary, and I can browse them fine from the actual contacts application, but any other app that populates a contacts field pulls all these nothing contacts.

Posted via CB10
    Although not my primary issue I cant relate. I believe that the root cause for your issue is that the Z10 has a "master list" of contacts that most applications access. In turning the setting toggles to off under contacts all one accomplishes is hiding those particular contacts from the main contacts screen, but, every other application uses this master list of contacts, even if there are names, or in your case, blank contacts that you do not want to be used. Out of curiosity have you tried to toggle on/off under settings one by one to identify the source of the blank contacts?
    04-10-13 10:33 AM
    Definitely annoying but not something I'm angry about. I've gotten used to it and I'm just hoping that they fix it soon.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 10:36 AM
    zerobelow, I agree. atleast it sohould show "your" contacts first, then the rest, although I dont understand why this cant be toggled off.

agp101, not all of them, but those that I have are showing up duplicate and i cant delete the ones from Facebook. Maybe I am OCD but I want my information shown since I know it to be correct, not that which someone puts on their profile. Where there is a benefit to someone who wants all that information displayed why not simply allow the user to choose what they want synced and what they do not.
    You can't choose what you want to sync, with any smartphone, computer, anything. When you sync Gmail for example you'll never see the option of just syncing phone numbers, with any device. It's just not something that is supported through the Gmail and Facebook sync protocols.

Posted via CB10
    giggabotch likes this.
    04-10-13 10:38 AM
53 123