I've toggled everything to off in the actual contacts, and it's fine from there, but it's any other field that populates a contact field that is the issue. If that makes sense...

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 10:53 AM
    agp101, that might be the case. Perhaps syncing selectivity is out of question. However, a, they ability to not sync contact information from Facebook would be nice, or, the ability to then go through what has been synced and manually delete what the user deems to be non-pertinent information would also be nice as well as logical.

HOWEVER, I do not believe that to be true. Since only certain information is being pulled from Facebook, ie. birthday, experience, education, email, mobile number and not the rest of the information a Facebook user has listed ie. Religious view, political views, gender. I dont see why those are filitered out and the rest can not be as well if the user deems it necessary information. Although that is not my primary issue. I am more concerned with the fact that much information when pulled from Facebook becomes double listed under contacts if the format of the information is not exactly the same.
    04-10-13 10:59 AM
    Looks like the main problem the OP is having is not understanding how the OS works. If you manage your contacts correctly in your settings, you can minimize the confusion.
    BB10 doesn't differentiate between contact lists, so you may have multiple lists in your master list. You can shut off which lists display in contacts, but you can also control which lists show up in the master list. You set this up with your account settings. Turn off/on sync contacts for each account you want in your master. As far as I know, this isn't an option for social lists aside from what you control displays in your contact list only.
    Choosing contacts is diabolically easy...just tap the letter to the right of the list for your contact (as was posted earlier) so that all contacts with the selected letter display. I'm not sure why you would have such a space between two Bobs such that one would be off the screen....my contacts display one below the other with nothing but the name displaying.

Posted via CB10 with my BB10 Z10
    04-10-13 10:59 AM
    I've toggled everything to off in the actual contacts, and it's fine from there, but it's any other field that populates a contact field that is the issue. If that makes sense...

Posted via CB10
    Gotcha. I was just wondering if you knew what the source of the blank contacts was. I figured the best way to identify it would be to go one by one and toggle only one contact source on/off at a time to see which contact source includes the blank contacts. Meaning, if its on only on your SIM or say GMAIL maybe you can go and delete them that way? Just a thought?
    04-10-13 11:01 AM
    Turn off/on sync contacts for each account you want in your master. As far as I know, this isn't an option for social lists aside from what you control displays in your contact list only.

Posted via CB10 with my BB10 Z10
    That's a partial issue. If social media contacts are added to my master list, I would like the ability to turn off my social media contacts from syncing to my master list.
    04-10-13 11:08 AM
    @pandapurple: I've been navigating contacts that way
    I link my duplicate contacts and they become one entry and I erase multiple numbers in the entry details.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 11:18 AM
    While your in your contacts, swipe down from the top and the settings icon will appear. Tap that and you can turn your Facebook and Twitter contacts off so they don't show up in your contact list.
    This only works until you power cycle the Z10 off then back on. After that, the contacts reset to the default settings.

Posted via CB10
    amkas90 likes this.
    04-10-13 11:18 AM
    @pandapurple: I've been navigating contacts that way
    I link my duplicate contacts and they become one entry and I erase multiple numbers in the entry details.

Posted via CB10
    Are you able to delete information for linked Facebook accounts, however? Every time I attempt to do so and save the contact, the deleted information pops right back up.
    04-10-13 11:23 AM
    For same contacts from other accounts, you can link them together. That was what I did on my Z10

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 11:31 AM
    You can't choose what you want to sync, with any smartphone, computer, anything. When you sync Gmail for example you'll never see the option of just syncing phone numbers, with any device. It's just not something that is supported through the Gmail and Facebook sync protocols.

Posted via CB10
    That makes sense. However, the option to not sync information would be very nice then.
    04-10-13 11:48 AM
    I'm sure Bb is going to change this. It is stupid.

Posted via Crackberry Z10
    amkas90 likes this.
    04-10-13 11:49 AM
    I was messing around with my Contacts the other day flip'n switches and what not.. totally got messed up. I just Shrugged.
    04-10-13 11:51 AM
    That makes sense. However, the option to not sync information would be very nice then.
    More options is always a good thing, I'm just not sure if BlackBerry can implement options for selective syncing of accounts due to the respective service's syncing limitations.

Other than that, I hope BlackBerry makes as many tweaks as possible to anything they can given they are able to

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 12:10 PM
    Groups would be a nice-to-have. But without it, you can still get to your contacts pretty fast.

Have you used the index at the side of your Contacts view? If I want "Bob", other than using the Search function, I can just tap "B" to jump to entries starting with the letter "B".

Attachment 149866

You can even add a number or symbol before the name, to put some special people always at the top of your Contacts list.

Posted via CB10
    This only works by letter group, there is no internal "speed scrolling" through a letter group. If you have several thousand contacts it is still a massive pia to find contacts...essentially you have to use search. Android JB4.2.2 has the scroll nailed by providing the ability to speed scroll through the letter group. Hopefully BB will make this improvement.
    04-10-13 05:44 PM
    My complaint about Contact application is the inability to set the sort order by surname and keep the setting after closing the application.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    Edmo likes this.
    04-10-13 05:53 PM
    The "force linked" contacts issue is really painful. It shows up again when trying to use handsfree in your vehicle. When you ask to call a specific contact, you will get multiple entries for the same person and some of these entries aren't even phone numbers....they show up as emails?! It makes no sense at all. This shows up even after toggling all social and email contacts to off.
    04-10-13 07:10 PM
    I must be doing something wrong that works. My contacts are just people I call or text. The contacts transferred from my 9930 using link. Initially all contacts were there from fb,BBM,etc. In the settings menu I turned all selection off and ended up with just phone contacts.
    04-10-13 07:41 PM
    I've powered off my Z10 numerous times. My contacts still just include the contacts that I transferred from my 9900. I have all the toggles turned to off except SIM Card Contacts.

This only works until you power cycle the Z10 off then back on. After that, the contacts reset to the default settings.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 07:49 PM
    The most annoying thing to me is that when you create a new contact, it's automatically added to all possible contact sources. On my phone, I have SIM, Local Contacts, my work's Exchange account, Outlook.com, and Gmail CardDAV.

If I create a contact, it actually creates five contacts, all linked (so they appear as a single item in the list), and the only way to delete the unwanted ones is to unlink them one by one, so they become separate items in the list. Because of this, I was only creating contacts on the Outlook.com web site, but in the past few days, changes made to the web site stopped syncing to the phone.

To troubleshoot, I deleted and re-added that account, and now it only syncs my Windows Live Messenger contacts. I created a thread in their support forum because of this. It was working perfectly when I first set it up.
    04-10-13 08:09 PM
    I feel your pain my friend.

And u must say I like how you approach your problem with this thread.

Hopefully BlackBerry addresses this issue.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 08:18 PM
    @amkas90: I haven't erased specific info from linked Facebook accounts, but I deleted a ton of Facebook contacts and they stayed gone without erasing my contacts in Facebook

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 02:12 AM
    Totally agree. Just try to deal with it.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 02:22 AM
    Totally agree. Just try to deal with it.

Posted via CB10
    This is the attitude that got BlackBerry one step away from the graveyard. At the point the company is standing at the edge of the self-dug grave plot. Death by a thousand cuts is just as fatal as a single cut of a major artery.
    dj_matty_s likes this.
    04-11-13 06:54 AM
    I spoke to Blackberry Technical Service today because it was driving me crazy... Go to your general phone settings and I think it is the "accounts". When you tap it, you will see your email accounts and any social media accounts. Mine had Yahoo, Linkedin and Facebook.
    Select the social media accounts one at a time and choose the delete function. This does not delete the social accounts from your phone, it just deletes them from your contacts.... I hope this helps.
    04-11-13 09:19 PM
    For the multiple contacts issue we can achieve link the same contacts together right? That's what I did

Posted via CB10
    I found that with multiple contacts,.. it was a issue of not having them entered the same in each app, my Outlook,.. my phone contacts,..sim card. I went through and made each identical and POOF, no multiple contacts. Straightened out the whole mess. You can also choose which you want showing in the contacts hub. Just a thought.
    04-11-13 09:30 PM
53 123