07-15-17 11:21 PM
957 ... 373839
tools
    Oh am I ever on the z10.

I'm using it on 10.2.1 for a true nostalgia trip loll

Posted via CB10
    07-14-17 09:25 PM
    I just spent a week with a mid level Android because I needed some apps for a client. I was going to port over everything and switch to the Priv or KEYone, but after dealing with Android (Marshmallow) for a week, I'm going to buy a couple new batteries and stick with BB10 and my Z10 for as long as possible, even if that means double-carrying the Android phone.

I had really hoped that Android was better than I remembered. The OS really is much better, but the apps are all bloated, ugly and slowwww!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    07-14-17 10:24 PM
    2A is far too high for the Z10, that should not be your original battery charger (I believe the Z10 charger delivered 5V at 700mah, the Z30 'powered-charger' at 850mah) and USB 3.0 is rated at 900mah. Typically charging at 2A will break the battery, ....
    It's sorry, this is completely, utterly wrong. It will not damage the battery. The battery will draw whatever current it needs, the charger does not "push" current to the battery. Charging at a higher current will make it hotter and will also degrade the battery faster (slightly) , but the limits are determined by the charge circuitry which is in your phone and no competent designer will let you draw enough to damage the battery.

In fact if you look at the list of devices compatible with the PlayBook charger as provided by BlackBerry, all the phones are listed even the old Bold 9900.
    07-15-17 12:56 AM
    No, most likely I would guess the USB port has gotten loose from all those years of plug/unplug from the cable. Although that should be pretty easy to check if your Z10 can't talk to your computer. If not then you're probably right, something has finally failed with the charging circuit on your main board.
    Either way, not good news
    07-15-17 01:03 AM
    It's sorry, this is completely, utterly wrong. It will not damage the battery..Charging at a higher current will make it hotter and will also degrade the battery faster..
    That's the exact point I made so why the contradiction and utterly irrelevant objection in your post? Do you not class premature degradation as breaking? Does running an engine at higher revs not near it's demise? Of course it does, it generates heat. Heat breaks, unless the composition of an item strengthens with heat due to some curing process or a process I'm unaware of. Perhaps your issue is with the word break.

I don't really need a lesson on electronics, electricity or compatibility lists and don't care to derail the thread further. No one needs to check the Samsung website to note an absence of the BlackBerry Z10 on the list of compatible devices, irrelevant?

If you were responsible for remotely managing devices, presented with a charging issue, I'd expect you would want the battery and charger eliminating before proclaiming the motherboard is faulty and concluding it's ready for the bin.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-17 10:08 AM
    I think all the battery talk has sent this thread in the wrong direction. My BlackBerry Z10 is going strong and handles all my business and personal emails text and other communications very well.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-17 02:01 PM
    That's the exact point I made so why the contradiction and utterly irrelevant objection in your post? Do you not class premature degradation as breaking? Does running an engine at higher revs not near it's demise? Of course it does, it generates heat. Heat breaks, unless the composition of an item strengthens with heat due to some curing process or a process I'm unaware of. Perhaps your issue is with the word break.

I don't really need a lesson on electronics, electricity or compatibility lists and don't care to derail the thread further. No one needs to check the Samsung website to note an absence of the BlackBerry Z10 on the list of compatible devices, irrelevant?

If you were responsible for remotely managing devices, presented with a charging issue, I'd expect you would want the battery and charger eliminating before proclaiming the motherboard is faulty and concluding it's ready for the bin.

Posted via CB10
    It's entirely reasonable to check the battery and charger before blaming the mainboard.
    However, blaming the charger because it is rated at higher current than the default charger is completely and utterly wrong. That has absolutely NOTHING to do with damaging the battery.
    It is true that charging at higher than specified current WILL damage the battery. No doubt about that. But charging with a higher rated charger does NOT necessarily charge at a higher current. As I stated, it is up to the charging circuit in the phone to determine what current to use to charge the battery and no designer worth their salt is going to allow a charge current high enough to damage the battery.

You got people chasing the wrong things in this whole debug process. That's like saying oooh, the charger doesn't have a BlackBerry logo on it, maybe you should suspect that. Yeah, sure in the end you need to test the charger, but not for that reason.
    07-15-17 11:21 PM
957 ... 373839