I just bought a Moto Z play. My Z10 is doing my nut in. It is close to impossible to charge. I have 5 different chargers and none of them work with it any more. The only way I can charge it is from my laptop which isn't exactly ideal. I got the Z Play for £226. It is waiting for me in Ireland and I will get it when I return in September. I am not prepared to pay the insane amounts of money for a new BB, this, I am afraid, is goodbye. I have used BB for the best part of 10 years and I am sad to leave, but, it is time to go.
    BTW it is on its 3rd digitiser. The most recent one being fitted at the start of March. on the other two the speakers failed.
    07-03-17 03:46 AM
    I just bought a Moto Z play. My Z10 is doing my nut in. It is close to impossible to charge. I have 5 different chargers and none of them work with it any more. The only way I can charge it is from my laptop which isn't exactly ideal. I got the Z Play for £226. It is waiting for me in Ireland and I will get it when I return in September. I am not prepared to pay the insane amounts of money for a new BB, this, I am afraid, is goodbye. I have used BB for the best part of 10 years and I am sad to leave, but, it is time to go.
    BTW it is on its 3rd digitiser. The most recent one being fitted at the start of March. on the other two the speakers failed.
    A 'new' battery is £5 directly from Amazon and a compatible charging cable won't be much more.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-17 08:41 AM
    The battery clearly isn't the problem. Both of them are holding a reasonable charge. As the digitiser is only a few months old I can only assume it is the main board that is a bit ropey. The gravitometer failed years ago, that really annoyed me as having a map app and no compass is a massive pain in the ***, it is clearly long past the time to move on. I will miss the Z10 and the OS, the Android keyboard is dire, but, looking forward to being able to use Signal and a 4 day battery life.
    07-03-17 09:01 AM
    still my daily driver. I'm will jump to the dtek50 in november
    07-03-17 09:17 AM
    Just retired mine on Friday - my new CDMA KeyOne came in. Sorry to see the Z10 and BB10 go, but life goes on...
    07-03-17 09:19 AM
    I'm still using my Z10.

 B L A C K B E R R Y P A S S P O R T ™ SQW 100 -1 KEYᵒⁿᵉ Bell Network O S Version 10.3.3.2205 Powered by Q N X "For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life." J O H N 3 : 1 6
    07-03-17 10:51 AM
    Nope but love the Z30 tho!!
    07-03-17 11:44 AM
    The battery clearly isn't the problem. Both of them are holding a reasonable charge. As the digitiser is only a few months old I can only assume it is the main board that is a bit ropey. The gravitometer failed years ago, that really annoyed me as having a map app and no compass is a massive pain in the ***, it is clearly long past the time to move on. I will miss the Z10 and the OS, the Android keyboard is dire, but, looking forward to being able to use Signal and a 4 day battery life.
    Mine didn't ship with a Gravitometer, however sensors can fail in any device. The issue you describe is more likely to be battery or charger related than port or board.

However having experienced this for some time I expect you've already discounted the most likely causes.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-17 12:58 PM
    I am using Z10 but like to have passport SE

Posted via CB10
    07-06-17 02:27 PM
    I've just treated mine to an upgrade now it's 4 years old. I've not yet received the items but I am expecting (hoping for) the following:

BlackBerry LS1 Battery (Amazon EU Sarl)
    Back door cover (Red Mobile @ Amazon Marketplace)
    Otterbox Clearly Protected 360 ° Series Protector (Amazon EU Sarl)

Total: £12.24

I understand it's a risk buying now the device is getting old but I'm hopeful it's all new, original and in good condition.

My current back door cover is held together with superglue, brown tape secures the NFC, and the whole thing is attached to the phone by the Transform shell case. Frustratingly somewhere at home I've got a brand new battery lost still in its box and my original battery which has about 3-400 less cycles on it sitting in the charger bundle also lost. The Otterbox is purely a dabble to see what a screen protector with a 'lifetime warranty' looks and feels like after only ever experiencing the ones that ship with the Transform cases.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-17 09:04 PM
    Ok, I thought I'd give your advice a try and guess what? I just wasted the money on a new battery that will only charge from my laptop. Hopefully it will hold a better charge but clearly this is a main board problem.
    07-11-17 12:50 AM
    Still using my Z10, it's my daily driver.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-17 06:17 PM
    Ok, I thought I'd give your advice a try and guess what? I just wasted the money on a new battery that will only charge from my laptop. Hopefully it will hold a better charge but clearly this is a main board problem.
    What is the amperage of the wall charger you are using?

Is your laptop USB port USB 2.0 or 3.0?

Posted via CB10
    07-11-17 08:41 PM
    just like a super phone BB 10

Posted via CB-10 BlackBerry 10 [10.3.3. 1463]
    07-11-17 09:31 PM
    Three chargers that are mains, two BlackBerry and one Samsung both 2amp, all three worked perfectly in the past to charge the phone. USB3 on both computers. I am unsure of the capacities of the battery ones as I left them at home and I am not there now.
    07-11-17 10:21 PM
    Three chargers that are mains, two BlackBerry and one Samsung both 2amp, all three worked perfectly in the past to charge the phone. USB3 on both computers. I am unsure of the capacities of the battery ones as I left them at home and I am not there now.
    2A is far too high for the Z10, that should not be your original battery charger (I believe the Z10 charger delivered 5V at 700mah, the Z30 'powered-charger' at 850mah) and USB 3.0 is rated at 900mah. Typically charging at 2A will break the battery, certainly not charge it effectively (it will get too hot, you'll experience shutdowns well before your device reports 0%) or the device will just refuse to take a charge.

If your 5V USB port delivers 5V at up to 900mah then I would suspect a compatible wall charger may still charge your phone?

Edit:

I usually charge my device with the original Z10 charger, a slow charge with a USB 2.0 port (rated at 500mah) or an Apple charger (rated at 1A).

My Kindle HDX charger delivers 5V at 1.8A (the battery is 4500mah), the Z10 takes a charge but due to the fact it gets so hot the battery life is poor. It takes reconditioning with the original charger to 'fix' the battery afterwards.

My device will not accept a charge from my Samsung chargers which both deliver 5V at 2A, although my first battery did on occasions, it probably explains the fact that battery developed issues after only a few hundred cycles.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by oystersourced; 07-13-17 at 03:03 AM.
    07-13-17 02:08 AM
    The chargers I have been using for over three years with the phone are now suddenly the reason it won't charge? Ridiculous
    07-13-17 11:20 PM
    My 4-year-old Z10 has been charged with a Samsung 2A charger at least a few hours almost every day for three years. Even with that, the Battery app I have says only 1.5A is being drawn. Same as the BlackBerry charging pod that came with my phone.

The Samsung charger is in the kitchen for the evening (or weekend) top-offs, while the BlackBerry charger is in the bedroom for overnight charging.

And, the phone never got hot on either charger.

I'm still on the phone's original battery, so, yeah, it won't hold a charge for as long as it used to. But at 4 years, that's expected of an already under powdered Li-ion battery circa 2013.

Joel
    07-14-17 12:34 AM
    My partner.
    07-14-17 04:23 AM
    still my daily driver. I'm will jump to the dtek50 in november
    People on here say the "60" is a better choice. The one you are looking at, the 50 is a bit basic. OK if that's what you want. Just saying.
    07-14-17 04:42 AM
    My 4-year-old Z10 has been charged with a Samsung 2A charger at least a few hours almost every day for three years. Even with that, the Battery app I have says only 1.5A is being drawn. Same as the BlackBerry charging pod that came with my phone.

The Samsung charger is in the kitchen for the evening (or weekend) top-offs, while the BlackBerry charger is in the bedroom for overnight charging.

And, the phone never got hot on either charger.

Joel
    'Top-offs' and charging a flat battery are different, you are either living somewhere with a very cold ambient temperature or more likely your practices are preventing higher heat build up (heat is generated, more heat if the battery is flat and more if it's a higher powered charger and the battery is flat).

The Z10 takes 5V at 1.8A from flat fine however the battery has a shorter lifespan (battery calibration issues exist, there will be examples in these forums of people complaining their battery dies before 0%), if neither your phones battery or charger gets hot during that process then something is highly peculiar.

Does your Z10 regularly draw from the 2A chargers from flat?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by oystersourced; 07-14-17 at 12:47 PM.
    07-14-17 12:30 PM
    I'm in South Louisiana where we basically don't have winters - well, maybe for two weeks. Summers go well into December and humidity is anywhere from 50 to 75% on a dry day.

But, I do limit how much my phone is in the heat (at least we have air conditioning). It's only drained completely, maybe 5 or 6 times during the life of the phone. It does drop to 20% or below more now than it used to, but I still try to limit that as much as I can.

Also, BlackBerry's own car premium car charger that I also use is 1.8A. But then, even hooked up to that phone, the phone still only draws 1.5A.

Hooked up to a regular PC USB port (as it is during work) shows only 0.5A, as it should.

Joel
    07-14-17 03:06 PM
    It's only drained completely, maybe 5 or 6 times during the life of the phone. It does drop to 20% or below more now than it used to, but I still try to limit that as much as I can.

Also, BlackBerry's own car premium car charger that I also use is 1.8A. But then, even hooked up to that phone, the phone still only draws 1.5A.

Hooked up to a regular PC USB port (as it is during work) shows only 0.5A, as it should.

Joel
    I've got the same car charger, I think it's quality. I would think it's not possible to know what the phone draws from a charger with an app when the phone is completely flat (when it would draw the most, when it creates most heat) because the phone is off?

It sounds like you maintain your battery well, the fact it's lasted 4 years is testament to that. I'm surprised your battery is never warm to the touch if it's drawing 1.5A (assuming that is correct), charging from flat you should.

Correct, a USB 1.0 and USB 2.0 delivers 5V at 500mah.

Back to the original discussion (heat and battery longevity a side), as previously stated the Z10 may refuse to charge from a high powered charger. If the battery charges fine from a USB 3.0 port at 900mah, is it not worth trying a compatible charger similarly rated before moving to a new device? 'My advice' consisted of a question of whether or not the battery and charger had been discounted as possible causes, as they are more likely to be than a motherboard. It's been established that they have not been discounted.

Coming back and whinging that a battery has been bought on the back of that and it's still not working is ridiculous, especially when the original charger has not been used. Perhaps if the original post had stated as much you'd have got a different response as to a reason why your phone might be knackered before its time.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-17 05:47 PM
    Oh am I ever on the z10.

I'm using it on 10.2.1 for a true nostalgia trip loll

Posted via CB10
    07-14-17 09:25 PM
    I just spent a week with a mid level Android because I needed some apps for a client. I was going to port over everything and switch to the Priv or KEYone, but after dealing with Android (Marshmallow) for a week, I'm going to buy a couple new batteries and stick with BB10 and my Z10 for as long as possible, even if that means double-carrying the Android phone.

I had really hoped that Android was better than I remembered. The OS really is much better, but the apps are all bloated, ugly and slowwww!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    07-14-17 10:24 PM
1,079 ... 3637383940 ...