05-09-13 06:56 AM
30 12
tools
    Running battery monitoring software also consumes some energy from the battery and will slightly add to the temperature. When the main operating components in the device are active they themselves will generate some heat this adds to the total temperature of the device. The battery also heats up if there is heavy current drain.

Running more software and having activity on the device will certainly increase the total temperature of the device. Action games, streaming data as like for video and music are big consumers of energy. These types of activities will increase the temperature of the device.

The temperature you would read for any device is also influenced by the environmental temperature. When the environment is warmer the resulting temperature of the device will be warmer.

I found third party software that reads the temperature from the device internal sensors is not guaranteed to be very accurate. The result would be dependent on how accurate the programmer can write the necessary code to read the thermo sensors. Some of these sensors are not accurate for linearity over the thermo span of range. The safety circuits in the device are looking for a specific resistance range to know if the area is overheated or is within safe range. The linearity of the resistance over the span is not considered critical when the resistance is below or above a specific cutoff or activation point. These devices can be either positive or negative thermo coefficient depending on the particular design requirement.
    05-07-13 05:36 PM
    You should get one of these laser thermo readers and take a reading of the battery temperature and compare the results, I would not be surprised of the software for this is not accurate.

I have to admit, the software is interesting...
    05-07-13 05:38 PM
    Does your Z10 refuse to charge if it's hotter than 99F?

Mine does. Verizon here too.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 05:50 PM
    Pretty hot after an hour of game playing

Sent via my Z10 support your local paramedics run with scissors.
    05-07-13 07:21 PM
    Running battery monitoring software also consumes some energy from the battery and will slightly add to the temperature.
    Actually, properly written BB10 battery monitoring software, as Battery Guru is, runs for only a few milliseconds every couple of minutes, and therefore adds insignificantly to the overall power drain and, thus, the temperature. You will find no measurable increase in temperature from running my Battery Guru app.

I found third party software that reads the temperature from the device internal sensors is not guaranteed to be very accurate. The result would be dependent on how accurate the programmer can write the necessary code to read the thermo sensors.
    Actually, no third-party software is even capable of reading the device sensors on BB10, as far as I know, and in any case I'm sure none does. The OS is solely responsible for interfacing with those devices, and the results are very likely as accurate as the BlackBerry engineers were capable of making it (or at least as accurate as they needed to make it).

In the case of BB10, there are multiple temperature sensors that have their readings "fused" in some fashion, to produce an overall system temperature, which is the one all third-party temperature apps -- including Battery Guru -- are reporting. You should see no variation between them, and no identifiable error either.

Typically temperature sensors of this type are accurate only to within a few degrees, though I suspect the way they've done it within the BB10 devices it's slightly better. It's also irrelevant, because so long as the error is consistent on a given device, and it generally would be, then when you see an increase in temperature it's a real increase. Comparing between different devices and expecting them to match to a fraction of a degree would, however, be silly.
    Last edited by peter9477; 05-09-13 at 11:11 AM. Reason: fix quoting
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    05-09-13 06:56 AM
30 12