I am still on OS7.1 Torch and will upgrade to a OS10 BB device hopefully soon. I caught a closed thread dealing with the legality of sideloading Android apps on a BB OS 10 device. I believe 10.2 has a runtime developer thing in order to do this. I have an idea to fix this problem and move on.
    1. Blackberry sends out a blanket contract to all Android developers having them sign off to legally list their software on BBW. This contract would allow BBW to have an automatic conversion software installer to make it convert to run on a OS10 device seamlessly. User would not know it is being done.

2. All apps on BB World are not free say a $1.00 per download as a starting point including native BB apps already on there and any legally listed Android apps. These apps could keep their ads embedded as well. Additional revenue for developers to utilize BBW.

3. If the developer has a separate version without ads, they can charge at least double #1.

4. If the Android developer also ports and makes the app "NATIVE" BB, he will receive a premium to download - say $5 for starters.

I don't know how all this works with Google but what it provides is incentive to have their apps listed on BBW and actually get paid for it by offering different versions of their software if they so choose. Through BBW, people downloading have legal devices with PIN numbers for logins in order to download. I believe the runtime utility usage can be changed so that it can be only used by developers for testing only. Android apps would only be obtained through BBW with a seamless converter. This eliminates the "I have no idea how to side load so I will just get a Android device." My main reason for posting this is that I want BB to succeed more than ever and the reality that BB will never be able to narrow the app gap so-to-speak. I am a light user of any apps - in other words a communication device.
    08-08-13 08:14 PM
    Although I can see that being a great deal for developers - there won't be many happy customers buying those apps. You'll find the "Well it's free on Android, but $1 (or higher) on BlackBerry!" group.

BlackBerry has been doing a pretty good job so far offering developer kickbacks from devices to straight up cash and I think that's the way to do it. Some day non-BlackBerry developers will realize that they're losing out on an entire user-base. Some day.
    howarmat likes this.
    08-08-13 08:21 PM
    It's a nice idea but I kind of want to cut you off right at step one. Most android ports go through minor modifications to get them to work well on BB10. The Android player isn't 100% exact Android. Look through some of the well done Android ports in BBW, they've modified their menus and such, I'm sure a little has gone under the hood too. So an automatic converter isn't a 100% solution.

For the User experience wise.
    08-08-13 08:23 PM
    Although I can see that being a great deal for developers - there won't be many happy customers buying those apps. You'll find the "Well it's free on Android, but $1 (or higher) on BlackBerry!" group.

BlackBerry has been doing a pretty good job so far offering developer kickbacks from devices to straight up cash and I think that's the way to do it. Some day non-BlackBerry developers will realize that they're losing out on an entire user-base. Some day.
    I agree in general to your statement of being free somewhere else and not on BBW. I am trying to cover a couple of issues - first being the legal thing. I don't want BB to get in trouble having the utility to do so and people downloading and converting themselves. I think most BB users can count on one hand the absolute must-have android apps they need. There have been issues with how some Android apps convert and not work properly. Having a way to get them on BBW and being paid, might get them to actually make a BB versions of their software that works. Yeah I know it is throwing money a little at the problem but might just open things up by offering an olive branch.
    08-08-13 08:55 PM
    It's a nice idea but I kind of want to cut you off right at step one. Most android ports go through minor modifications to get them to work well on BB10. The Android player isn't 100% exact Android. Look through some of the well done Android ports in BBW, they've modified their menus and such, I'm sure a little has gone under the hood too. So an automatic converter isn't a 100% solution.

For the User experience wise.
    You are right, but the extra $ incentive and the more and more Android devs having their apps put on BBW might bring BB to accelerate and work with Android devs to come up with a better and better converter.
    Just need to take the thinking out of the process. Go to BBW, click on the app, download it and enjoy. Ultimately, everything on BBW would be considered "apps" - not Android or BB. I really think it would lead to some real development down the road and a win win for both parties. Of course it isn't perfect - nothing in this world ever is. Thank you for replying.
    08-08-13 09:04 PM