I am about to upgrade my microSD card from a 32GB to 64GB. Before doing so, I backed up my 32GB microSD card and noticed that my computer was able to read and write to the microSD card faster if I just pull it out of the Z10 and insert it directly into the media card reader that is in my computer. So this got me thinking.

Will I notice a difference between any of these microSD cards?

SanDisk Extreme PLUS UHS-I Card capable of up to 80/50MB/s read/write speed ($69)
    or
    SanDisk Extreme UHS-I Card capable of up to 45/45MB/s read/write speed ($59)
    or
    SanDisk Ultra UHS-I Card capable of of up to 30 MB/s ($38)

Is the Z10 capable of utilizing the fastest card or should I just save some money and buy the cheapest one.

Thanks
    06-04-14 01:46 PM
    When I moved to a new, 64 GB mSD card, I went for the best I could locate. The only difference was playing large video files. Much smoother. I haven't had a bit of stutter since. That alone was worth it for me. For the relatively small cost difference, I'd go for the faster.
    06-04-14 02:11 PM
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/44236900

Try this app. Measures the read/write speed from device to sd card.

I use another benchmark software to gauge sd card speed on my desktop.

I found that using faster cards do have an effect on our devices.

The cards I compared were a class 4 sandisk VS class 10 64gb sandisk ultra.

There are even faster cards now as you have mentioned the sandisk extreme and extreme plus micro SD but ive havent used or tested them so I wouldnt know of there was a positive effect on top of my already fast sandisk ultra.

It would be interesting to know what is the limit or fastest i/o read/write speeds our devices can handle where sd cards are concerned.

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    06-04-14 02:18 PM
    I did the same thing - put the microSD card into an adapter and right into the SD Card slot on my laptop. I just assuemd this would be faster than the USB connection or going over the WiFi network. . . not sure if the speed of the hardware in the Z10 is actualy a factor or not.
    06-04-14 03:12 PM
    N4BB did a test when the Z10 was launched and they got read speeds of 10Mb/s for class 4 and 10 and write speeds of 4Mb/s for class 4 and 8Mb/s for class 10

Posted via CB10
    06-04-14 03:18 PM
    N4BB did a test when the Z10 was launched and they got read speeds of 10Mb/s for class 4 and 10 and write speeds of 4Mb/s for class 4 and 8Mb/s for class 10

Posted via CB10
    I'd like to see them do it again with a SanDisk Extreme PLUS UHS-I Card capable of up to 80/50MB/s read/write speed.

I wish BlackBerry would provide some specs on the Z10 that would address this.

Thanks for the info.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-14 03:29 PM
    I'd like to see them do it again with a SanDisk Extreme PLUS UHS-I Card capable of up to 80/50MB/s read/write speed.

I wish BlackBerry would provide some specs on the Z10 that would address this.

Thanks for the info.

Posted via CB10
    The app I posted above is crap. The results were completely inconsistant.

I downloaded A1 SD Bench using snap and this is my result.

How fast is the microSD card reader in a Z10-img_20140605_052528.png

I did the benchmark 3 times.

On average 20MB read. 5MB write. Sandisk Ultra 64GB on a Q10SQN100-2.

Why dont some of us compare?

06-04-14 04:28 PM
    I am about to upgrade my microSD card from a 32GB to 64GB. Before doing so, I backed up my 32GB microSD card and noticed that my computer was able to read and write to the microSD card faster if I just pull it out of the Z10 and insert it directly into the media card reader that is in my computer. So this got me thinking.

Will I notice a difference between any of these microSD cards?

SanDisk Extreme PLUS UHS-I Card capable of up to 80/50MB/s read/write speed ($69)
    or
    SanDisk Extreme UHS-I Card capable of up to 45/45MB/s read/write speed ($59)
    or
    SanDisk Ultra UHS-I Card capable of of up to 30 MB/s ($38)

Is the Z10 capable of utilizing the fastest card or should I just save some money and buy the cheapest one.

Thanks
    The reason the copying is slow when you copy from the phone has nothing to do with the type of card but with the way it's setup as a network drive not mass storage.. a network drive is generally really slow...

Posted via CB10 from my Z10STL100-1/10.3.0.442
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-04-14 04:41 PM
    The reason the copying is slow when you copy from the phone has nothing to do with the type of card but with the way it's setup as a network drive not mass storage.. a network drive is generally really slow...

Posted via CB10 from my Z10STL100-1/10.3.0.442
    I had it set up as a USB drive. Not using Link. Just connected to a USB port and used Windows Explorer to copy the contents of the media card to a folder on my computer's C drive. No networking going on here.
    If I take the card out of the phone and do the same thing by using my computer's media card, I get the job done much much faster.

I think that's to be expected. But my question is, if I just want to have the convenience of using just my Z10, then is it really worth buying an extra fast card if the phone can't really take advantage of the extra speed anyway.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-14 08:15 PM
    I had it set up as a USB drive. Not using Link. Just connected to a USB port and used Windows Explorer to copy the contents of the media card to a folder on my computer's C drive. No networking going on here.
    If I take the card out of the phone and do the same thing by using my computer's media card, I get the job done much much faster.

I think that's to be expected. But my question is, if I just want to have the convenience of using just my Z10, then is it really worth buying an extra fast card if the phone can't really take advantage of the extra speed anyway.

Posted via CB10
    Speed of the card may also affect how well video and sound are recorded. Faster card might keep up better - at least, for some functions.
    06-04-14 09:03 PM
    I think the best way to measure speed is to copy from internal storage to SD card.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-14 02:06 PM
    The app I posted above is crap. The results were completely inconsistant.

I downloaded A1 SD Bench using snap and this is my result.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140605_052528.png 
Views:	632 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	276043
    What the heck is internal/external SD card? There's only one (micro) SD card slot on the phone.
    06-06-14 01:23 AM
    What the heck is internal/external SD card? There's only one (micro) SD card slot on the phone.
    I think what he means is to take a large file that is in a folder of the internal device storage of your Z10 and copy it to the microSD card that is also in your Z10.

Posted via CB10

EDIT
    Sorry I thought you were talking about the previous post and not what is shown on the pic. I also have no idea what is the other SD card unless it's just another one that is in his computer.
    Last edited by Sierras; 06-06-14 at 07:20 AM.
    06-06-14 06:46 AM
    I think what he means is to take a large file that is in a folder of the internal device storage of your Z10 and copy it to the microSD card that is also in your Z10.

Posted via CB10

EDIT
    Sorry I thought you were talking about the previous post and not what is shown on the pic. I also have no idea what is the other SD card unless it's just another one that is in his computer.
    There's a bug. What's depicted as "external" sd card is actually internal/device memory. You can tell by the memory size.

Internal SD is your external sd card in which case mine is 64GB.

06-07-14 12:44 PM
    I intend to upgrade my memory card from a 32gb to a larger 64gb. Will I see any more of an advantage if I buy a card with a read/write speed of 45/mbs over a less costly 30/mbs speed?? What is the max transfer SPEED that my host Device/OS (Q10) is capable of?

I hope we can get a 'factual' answer to this question.
    06-09-14 10:27 AM
    It really depends what use you are planning to give the card, what kind of app you will use and the nature of the data you will read and write. For downloaded commercial videos and music saved to SD you will probably find most grades of SD will be adequate, but if you are handling something which streams continuous high volume data a more capable SD might be beneficial. It will also depend whether you plan work only with data handled on-device (reasonably fast) or pass data over USB or network links to external devices (slower) where the bottleneck is the external link and the card is never asked to approach its capability.
    ygevalt likes this.
    06-09-14 10:46 AM
    This is how my 32gb card came out. It is a SanDisk ultra.

How fast is the microSD card reader in a Z10-img_20140609_115232.png

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    06-09-14 10:55 AM
    Looks like there is no reason to buy a faster card if the device cat use it.

Can anything run the rates that they are stated to do? Windows? Mac? Linux?
    06-09-14 11:06 AM
    I wish this had a read test, but alas. 64GB SanDisk Ultra:

How fast is the microSD card reader in a Z10-img_20140609_121355.png

Posted via CB10
    06-09-14 11:16 AM