Hi, my Z10 is defective.
    There's a white pixel on the screen that always stays white, especially noticeable during boot up and when playing games. Looks like it's a dead pixel.

I want to have the device swapped out, but looking on ShopBlackBerry's support, how am I meant to get an RMA number if there's no phone number to call?

Does anybody know how to arrange a return or the phone number to call?

Please don't tell me to put up with it, trust me I tried, the device is only 3 months old and I believe that this should be covered under the 1 year warranty.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Someone7272; 09-15-14 at 07:50 PM.
    09-14-14 05:51 PM
    You can contact them here:

ShopBlackBerry Customer Service
    09-14-14 06:20 PM
    Thanks for directing me to their seemingly only UK point of call.

Being honest, I am disgusted at their "solution".

Thank you for contacting the BlackBerry EU online store.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Unfortunately, we cannot initiate a replacement for the product that you
    purchased.

We highly recommend you to contact our technical support for further
    assistance regarding this issue, they can be reached at:

URL: Sites - Global
    Phone: <removed>
    Why can't you initiate a replacement for a product THAT I PURCHASED WITH WARRANTY?

How do they expect technical support to fix a HARDWARE defect?!
    Nevertheless I will call that number later to see if BlackBerry themselves can do anything about this. I'm not really expecting them to be very helpful either.
    I don't want to be forced to sell this Z10 at a loss and source a new one elsewhere.

I know I won't be buying from Digital River AND/OR ShopBlackBerry again if they don't honour the 1 year warranty!
    Last edited by Someone7272; 09-15-14 at 07:58 PM.
    09-15-14 07:48 PM
    It is a common practice of online retailers to maintain control over the issuance of an RMA number. You initiate the process by contacting them, they issue the RMA.

Now if you call tech support and they still refuse to exchange the phone then it is worth letting people know.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 07:11 AM
    Alright, now this is ridiculous now. I just called the number in the email, and the automated voice directed me to the website (obviously no help at all) or wants to charge me $49 for a fault concerning warranty! I will contact ShopBlackBerry UK again with a more stern email. ShopBlackBerry UK really needs a dedicated phone number for warranty and service as this is just despicable.
    09-16-14 10:02 AM
    I'd be interested to hear how things turn out for you. I'm also having a dead pixel (not very noticeable in everyday usage as it's just staying black and not really in the center of the screen) and never even bothered with any warranty-claim, as I had somewhere in the back of my mind that it needed to be a certain number of dead pixels to get anything replaced (but this knowledge stems from PC monitors, so maybe it's different with phones?).

BlackBerry should give us S/MIME and PGP capabilities!
    09-16-14 10:37 AM
    Subscribed. Never bought direct from BlackBerry and heard many horror stories about ordering from them via Digital River. I'm curious how your bit turns out. BlackBerry direct is what I wanted to do for the BlackBerry Passport, but maybe I'll go the other way altogether and pick the Craigslist route.

Customer service, or better put, lack-thereof, is a major problem with BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 11:04 AM
    I'd be interested to hear how things turn out for you. I'm also having a dead pixel (not very noticeable in everyday usage as it's just staying black and not really in the center of the screen) and never even bothered with any warranty-claim, as I had somewhere in the back of my mind that it needed to be a certain number of dead pixels to get anything replaced (but this knowledge stems from PC monitors, so maybe it's different with phones?).

I'm not one to compare Apples and BlackBerries ( get it? See what I did there? ) but I know I've swapped countless iPhones in the past with no questions asked, some for just 1 dead pixel, some for dust under the screen. Even if the "genius" themselves can't see it.

Now with BlackBerry this seems to be significantly harder. With no store to take the device to, or a free phone number, I'm worried that I'm gonna be bounced between ShopBlackBerry and BlackBerry's support... ONLINE!

I've sent BlackBerry a message direct from this link and we'll see what happens. I'll be updating this topic as it happens.
    blee4 likes this.
    09-16-14 11:10 AM
    Thanks for keeping us up to date then .
    Would be fantastic to get that dead pixel out of the way via warranty.

09-16-14 08:22 PM
    I think the fact that you have to jump through all these hoops just to get a device under warranty replaced puts iPhone ahead of BlackBerry. Apple is the most forgiving company out there when it comes to repairs. I've had friends that had entire units with cracked screens (which was not covered pre Apple Care+) replaced over a technicality which was a broken mic (which was his own fault because he dropped his phone in food damaging the mic). All for $0.00

Posted via my Q10
    09-16-14 08:32 PM
    I think the fact that you have to jump through all these hoops just to get a device under warranty replaced puts iPhone ahead of BlackBerry. Apple is the most forgiving company out there when it comes to repairs. I've had friends that had entire units with cracked screens (which was not covered pre Apple Care+) replaced over a technicality which was a broken mic (which was his own fault because he dropped his phone in food damaging the mic). All for $0.00

Posted via my Q10
    Yes... but. I remember a few years back people trying to get their Apple laptops replaced when they came with dead pixels and Apple telling them to go **** themselves.

As someone already pointed out, you need to initiate your return through your retailer/reseller. Not BBerry direct. Sure, it's easy to walk into an Apple store... but that's where most people make their purchase.
    09-16-14 08:54 PM
    Okay now we actually seem to be getting somewhere. Here is part of the email BlackBerry sent me:
    I am very sorry for all the trouble you have had with your BlackBerry. I'll make sure to help you out the best I can.

Please, submit the following information:

1. A picture showing the dead pixel
    2. Download the BlackBerry Virtual Expert from BlackBerry World
    3. Complete the Display Tests, click Continue at the bottom and then, tap on the Submit button
    I've sent them the photo and performed the Virtual Expert Display Tests. Surprisingly, the App did not ask for any identifying information upon submitting the results to BlackBerry, so I wonder how they'll know which was my result?
    09-17-14 09:09 AM
    Okay guys here is Monday's update...

BlackBerry themselves (NOT ShopBlackBerry) have allocated me a RMA number and will be sending me a package containing return packaging.
    When that arrives, I'll send the device to their service center. They have been very vague on the warranty process however.
    They have not told me 1) Whether the unit will be repaired or replaced | 2) If the unit is being repaired, how long the process will take. Replacing the Z10's screen involves completely replacing the front fa�ade and also completely disassembling the device.
    In the meantime I would be stuck with my 64GB iPhone 4S with iOS 6 - LUCKILY, I HATE iOS 7/8 lol.
    So I ask the community. Has anybody got any experience with BlackBerry UK's warranty/repair process?

Thanks in advance.
    09-22-14 07:59 PM
    Or you could replace the screen yourself for about 10 quid. It is extremely easy.
    Replaced my wife's screen a month ago. Ordered it from Amazon. Two screens with digitizers plus shipping cost me around $24 US.

8-9 screws and 5 ribbon connectors. Took me about 20 mins to remove and replace.
    Regardless of product (electronics, automotive) warranties have never been worth the hassle, so I just learn to fix **** myself

STL-4. 10.3.0.1130
    09-22-14 11:09 PM
    Or you could replace the screen yourself for about 10 quid. It is extremely easy.
    Replaced my wife's screen a month ago. Ordered it from Amazon. Two screens with digitizers plus shipping cost me around $24 US.

8-9 screws and 5 ribbon connectors. Took me about 20 mins to remove and replace.
    Regardless of product (electronics, automotive) warranties have never been worth the hassle, so I just learn to fix **** myself
    While this may seem like a good idea, I'm scared of actually damaging the device more, or ending up with dust underneath the camera lens... or worse - in the camera module itself!
    09-23-14 06:12 PM
    Hello again,

Just wanted to update you guys, it's been a week. The DHL service DID NOT come to my premises on the day of the collection. After 2 support emails, on the 2nd October, I decided to take it down to my local DHL service desk, who told me the cost of sending my Z10 off will be charged to BlackBerry. The device has been delivered at their service center. Rather worryingly, I have heard nothing, even after sending another email requesting an update on the status. I will give it a few more days, but this warranty experience so far has not been a good one.

-- OFF TOPIC --
    While my BlackBerry Z10 is in for repair, I decided to use my iPhone 4S running iOS 6.1.3 which to my horror was already downloading the iOS 8 update. So I forced-interrupted the update using my web filtering proxy, and hit "Erase all content and settings" on the iPhone. I was left with a blank iPhone which showed "Connect to iTunes" screen. But when iTunes tried to sync, it gets up to "Preparing apps for sync" and at this point, iTunes crashes. The iPhone says something like "Restore not complete" and goes back to the "Connect to iTunes screen" so I tried syncing my mate's iOS 8 phone... same problem, crashes when trying to sync apps, however his phone got stuck on an endless syncing loop... very disappointed with Apple. This only has started happening in iTunes 11.4. This resulted in the iPhone being sent straight back into its box.
    Just thought I'd include this incase you needed a subtle reminder of why you use BlackBerry.
    10-05-14 08:53 PM
    Thanks for the update. You do have a number for your return on your phone, right?
    So at least you can tell them that if you can get a hold of them eventually.

10-06-14 03:33 AM
    If Blackberry is like this with Warranties, then it's best to jump ship.

No customer should have to endure such poor customer service.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 06:55 AM
    Hi guys, another update for you.

I've received my phone back from the service, it is the exact same device.
    It's not good news. The screen has been replaced. BUT!
    The new screen exhibits a similar but not identical issue!
    It doesn't look like a dead pixel like the original screen had, but instead, either gaps in the LCD grid or tiny pieces of glass caught between the display and the panel glass.
    This causes the white effect that the previous screen with a dead pixel did, but it's only visible when the display is at full brightness and viewed slightly off center. It was hard to get a decent picture of this, but if you can't see it, it's around the center of the image, slightly to the right. The second one is slightly left of the first one but did not come out well in this pic. If you're me, you'd spot it instantly though!
    How do you return to ShopBlackBerry (Digital River)?-img_0002.jpg
    I can definitively confirm that this is NOT dust, it actually emits light, and there's more than one of this on the new screen.

I've already written back to BlackBerry informing them about this issue. Gee, do they not bother to TEST the device before sending it back to the customer?
    If Blackberry is like this with Warranties, then it's best to jump ship.

No customer should have to endure such poor customer service.
    It would be a shame to have to do that because I actually love my Z10! I just wish they did not cheap it out by using terrible quality LCD displays. If I recall, this problem heavily affected the PlayBook, I'm lucky my PlayBook is pretty much perfect and the display is flawless... (APART FROM SCREEN BURN-IN ) but that only lasts like 2 minutes.
    If I could jump ship, I would have already done so.
    But, I hate Apple (Tim Cook is a [censored] and iOS 7 - onwards is an eyesore ), I hate Samsung and other Android based devices (poor security) and I hate Windows Phone (Metro interface... eughhh ).
    BlackBerry is my last hope. I know what you're thinking, I may aswell not have a phone!

I'll get back when BlackBerry respond to me.
    Last edited by Someone7272; 10-09-14 at 06:07 PM.
    10-09-14 05:55 PM
    Oh.....somehow seems like fatty fingers to me.....

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.632 and a Z30
    10-09-14 06:05 PM
    Oh.....somehow seems like fatty fingers to me.....

What's that mean?
    10-09-14 06:26 PM
    Wow, I guess the moral of your story is basically don't buy anthing from digital river ever again! Sorry for your troubles. It amazes me on how many horror stories that are posted via here and on the net but people still flock to DR again and again and then experience the same low level of customer service. Some people even insist on purchasing a 2nd item from them. Personally, I only dealt with them once and once was enough. I learned my lesson. Took two months for my items to arrive and not one email or tracking number was ever received in that time. I actually had my credit card reverse the charges.

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.1.396
    10-09-14 06:35 PM
    What's that mean?
    It seems like fat smudges on the LCD screen..... meaning poor assembly by (most likely) Samsung.....

10-09-14 06:46 PM
    It seems like fat smudges on the LCD screen..... meaning poor assembly by (most likely) Samsung.....
    Say it isn't so! I despise Samsung!
    I hope BlackBerry scrapped the Z10 screen manufacturer on the Passport, this is unacceptable.
    But it's not smudges or dirt, there's actually light coming out of those spots, it just didn't show up well in the picture. As I mentioned, there's either gaps in the LCD pixel grid allowing the backlight through at certain angles or miniscule fragments of glass under the touch panel which reflects the backlight's white light at certain angles.
    If I tilt the device randomly on full brightness, areas on the screen glisten like the starts at night when there's a clear sky.
    I bet there's an App for that.
    Now that would be all well and good, but this isn't an app, this is bootup screen!
    Last edited by Someone7272; 10-09-14 at 07:24 PM. Reason: In before the Grammar police put their sirens on...
    10-09-14 07:23 PM
    OH DEAR. I don't know what to say.
    My Z10's dead pixel woes continue because I have just received my device back from repair for THE 2nd TIME! And YET this screen is EVEN WORSE than the first repair and the original screen. When the screen brightness is high, these dead pixels really stand out. I examined one of my mate's Z10 and turned it's brightness up and I can confirm that he does not have these defects.
    Is BlackBerry's quality assurance team drunk, or do they even exist?

See for yourself below, I'm off to write ANOTHER email with this image to BlackBerry support. Man I wish I didn't send the original panel off for repair which only had ONE dead pixel, now I've ended up with this.
    How do you return to ShopBlackBerry (Digital River)?-img_0124_upload.jpg
    Last edited by Someone7272; 11-03-14 at 11:38 AM. Reason: To update signature
    11-03-14 11:20 AM
30 12