Who's not having problem with managing their contact list? Please chime in and give us your trick....

Back in the days of the Curve/Bold/Torch, I switched from Hotmail to Gmail due to the the push email AND the capability of Gmail/Google to manage my address book thru GoogleSync. Back then, I would just use GS to initially load my address book, and each time I add a new contact, I got into a habit of just updating my Google address book immediately. And the world was round. Nothing was added nor deleted nor modified in my Blackerry address book if I didn't initiate it.

Now with the Z10, everyday, I can't seem to find a solid way to keeping my Contact list the way I want. Everyday I look, it seems I get a duplicate contact here and there, and my text messages are getting sent to the wrong person, and my texts are coming under a different sender name....I mean, WTH?????

It seems like the phone is managing my contacts and combining them and crossing them between different contact lists that I do not want to be in my phonebook. For example, I do NOT want Facebook integrated into everything that I do. I want FB to be just an app that gives me notifications and only run when I open the app. I don't want a facebook PHONE. I don't want to see my contacts' FB pictures, nor do I want to see anything else, like birthday or yada-yada-yada....yes, I know I can just go to my Gmail contact list, but I want ALL my contacts to be from one source that I can edit and control when "I" want....

...am I missing something????? I set my other gmail accounts, hotmail accounts, and work email to do not sync contacts...and some works well....but I guess a lot of it is Facebook that seems to take over this phone and the fact that I have no control of what BB10 does with my contacts that I can't stand..
    04-17-13 09:43 AM
    I'm hoping someone can shed some light for you.

I use Office 365 now (personal), and the only time I see duplicates is when I have social media connected. But, after a while, the device will automatically 'link' them if certain phone numbers are the same...
    04-17-13 11:09 AM
    I have the same problem, too many contacts in the same line and it's just hard to link them one by one
    04-17-13 12:00 PM
    I'm hoping someone can shed some light for you.

I use Office 365 now (personal), and the only time I see duplicates is when I have social media connected. But, after a while, the device will automatically 'link' them if certain phone numbers are the same...
    this is exactly one of the things I do not want....I do not want my contacts linked with social media....

I was at the gym earlier, and I texted 2 people...but I got responses from OTHER contacts...then when I respond to those contacts, I got responses from OTHER contacts.....BB10 is merging and crossing all my contacts together...ARRRGGHGHHHHH!!!!!!
    04-17-13 12:44 PM
    I'm assuming that Blackberry ID somehow has your (or certain) contacts stored in the cloud somewhere???? Is there a way for me to go in and edit these contacts or use them as permanent???
    04-17-13 12:48 PM
    I Do Not use social network and everything working flawlesy. All I do is transport Google Contact to Outlook and sync with Z10. 5 min work and have no problem.

Posted via CB10
    MeetJoeAsian likes this.
    04-17-13 12:50 PM
    I Do Not use social network and everything working flawlesy. All I do is transport Google Contact to Outlook and sync with Z10. 5 min work and have no problem.

Posted via CB10
    ThanX....I will try that....hopefully it will be flawless in transferring and updating contacts...I just wiped my phone because when I sent texts out, they coming back from different people
    04-17-13 04:13 PM
    I have all of my contacts stored on device .... "Local" ..... since the ATT rep transfered my contacts off of my BB9900 with their magic contact transfer tool.

If I add New Contacts, the contacts app will automatically establish a "LINK" on:
    -Local
    -SIM

As a test ..... I later synced my:
    xxxxxx @ gmail --- Contacts
    xxxxxx @ live --- Contacts

Now I find that when I add New Contact on Z10 ...... the contact is automatically linked with and/or stored/sync'ing with:
    1- Local
    2- SIM
    3- Gmail
    4- Live
    After you add the new contact ..... if you don't want "Links" for all of these you can re-open the Contact and "Unlink" the ones you don't want. You will then likely wind up with with 2 contacts. The original one you added + another one with Links that you "Unlinked". You can delete the Contact containing the Links that you Unlinked and be left with the one Contact that contains the Link(s) that you want (for storing/sync'ing).
    -------- I think this needs to be corrected in future OS updates so that it allows you to establish default links for new contacts or at least lets you set them when you are adding the new contact. -------
    (NOTE: This is only an issue if your adding contacts on your Z10. It does not apply if you add them on Outlook, gmail. yahoo, etc.)

Actually .......... you can go in and view just the SIM card contacts ..... delete them ..... and if they were "Linked" on Local and/or email account they will still be there ........ just their SIM card Link/storage is gone.

I know this may sound a little confusing .... but after playing with it a little and figuring out how it works.... it's pretty simple.

I actually like the way it works....... again, I just feel you should have the option to set default New Contact "Links" or at least be able to set/modify them when adding a new contact.

I also have: Facebook, LinkedIn & Twitter contacts that show up in Contacts (this really has nothing to do with adding,deleting, or maintaining contacts). It will cause some duplicates to show up if you display them in your Contacts....... if the names don't exactly match etc., but, there is a way to "Link" these contacts together so that they only show as one contact.

I have a better explaination of the above New Contact management in another thread that I will link here.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-works-796749/
    Last edited by duckduke; 04-17-13 at 05:15 PM.
    biranty likes this.
    04-17-13 04:54 PM
    Most of the above was related to New Contact management.

As far as existing contacts........ I think it's best to have them in one place.
    - Either put them all Local or all SIM and sync with Blackberry Link
    - Or, maintain them all on gmail/yahoo/outlook sync

But ...... when adding New Contacts on Z10 you should be aware that every new contact is being added to
    - Local
    - SIM
    - every email where you are syncing contacts
    (NOTE: This does not set up duplicates in Contacts. It simply storing new contacts in multiple places.)

IF YOU ARE SEE A DUPLICATE IN YOUR CONTACTS:
    I would suggest first checking the "Links" established for a set of duplicates. One may be linked to Facebook and one to gmail, etc. or one to Local and one to gmail, etc.
    You can easily merge or combine these contacts.
    1- Open the contact that you want to keep (i.e. the one sync'ed with your email, or stored on local) and click on "Links" at the bottom.
    2- When the "Links" screen opens ..... click on "Add Links" at the bottom
    3- Now scroll through your contacts and click the duplicate.
    Now the "Links" will all be combined under one Contact entry.

Hope this helps someone!!!
    04-17-13 05:09 PM
    I can't really manage it. I use Outlook and the sync is only one way. Duplicates show up. I would delete everything in it and sync c from Outlook if I. Could figure out how.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by jgrobertson; 04-18-13 at 03:30 AM.
    04-17-13 05:38 PM
    I had to manually add the contacts I want to Favorites.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 05:43 PM
    I can't really manage it. I use Outlook and the sync is only one way. Duplicates shoe up. I would delete everything in it and sync c from Outlook if I. Could figure out how.
    It's should be pretty easy.
    - get all of your contacts in one place (off of your phone)
    - remove all contact acount links from your phone
    - go to your Contacts and make sure you have none showing.
    - now get all of your contacts on Outlook
    - now go to Z10 and set up Outlook contact -- sync
    You should be good.

At this point the hard part for you may be the first item ....... depending on where and how your contacts are set up now.
    Last edited by duckduke; 04-17-13 at 10:06 PM.
    04-17-13 06:19 PM
    It's should be pretty easy.
    - get all of your contacts in one place (off of your phone)
    - remove all contact acount links from your phone
    - go to your Contacts and make sure you have none showing.
    - now get all of your contacts on Outlook
    - now go to Z10 and set up Outlook contact -- sync
    You should be good.

At this point the hard part for you may be the first item ....... depending on where and how your contacts are set up now.
    I need to clear out all of the contacts on Z10. Then download from Outlook. I have several hundred contacts. I see no way to clear ALL contacts on Z10.
    04-18-13 03:35 AM
    Well, probably I'm going to be the black sheep here. I was using Google for managing my contacts, but it was very annoying the duplicate contacts issue and no official solution found. So I removed Google and synced my iCloud account (yes, Apple service) with my Z10. And believe it or not, the duplicate contacts are gone and everything is working flawlessly.
    04-18-13 04:41 AM