Is there a way in 10.3 to prevent sending a text to a contacts Home number? If I choose to compose a text message and select the contact from my contact list I have to remember to check which number is going to be texted to. Is there a way to globally set a feature to block using the text to number to Home numbers or Land-line numbers?
    03-18-15 09:39 AM
    I'm pretty sure the answer is no.
    03-18-15 09:42 AM
    Just select the mobile number to text to instead of the landline number....
    der_mit likes this.
    03-18-15 09:44 AM
    Which 10.3? Is this still an issue on the official 10.3.1.1767? I had this on 10.2.1 until the end but was very happy that this seems to work now on my Z30 after the big update. One of the very few improvements I really noticed.
    03-18-15 09:45 AM
    I would have thought it pretty easy to set a parameter to allow the texting component to only select mobile numbers from the contact list.
    03-18-15 09:45 AM
    The problem is: you don't select a number, you select a name, and this silly thing takes then one of the numbers for you, probably the first one ...
    03-18-15 09:46 AM
    When the numbers appear they only appear as numbers and not Mobile or Home so unless I memorize everybodies number I have to double check before sending
    03-18-15 09:48 AM
    Then maybe set a contact for mobile and landline, granted it's two listings for the same person, but you can select the contact labeled "Sam Jones mobile".....not "Sam Jones Home".......
    03-18-15 09:54 AM
    This issue is very annoying, and I hope BlackBerry addresses it. We shouldn't have to find work-arounds for such obvious things. They normally do so well in this area.

Posted via CB10
    Camelhmpz likes this.
    03-18-15 10:08 AM
    I agree that it would be helpful if texts to a landline could be blocked by not having that number appear as a choice. I will say, though, that when I compose a text, as I start typing the contact's name, ALL the numbers I have for that contact appear in the list and each has a designation as to whether it's a work, home, or mobile number. I just have to tap on the mobile number and I'm good to go.

I'm still on 10.2.1.2991 on my Z30 because Verizon hasn't chosen to release an update yet!
    03-18-15 10:19 AM
    I didn't see OP respond to the question about which 10.3 they are using. I just updated from 10.2.1.xxx to 10.3.1.1784; when I compose a text, the expected category info on the phone numbers is displayed - mobile, home, work, etc.

Regardless of that, I don't believe that restricting texting to numbers classified as "home" is a good idea. Many have their home phone service now tied directly into their mobile number. Even my aunt, a non-techie by all means, has hers set up this way - a number that for years and years used to be her dedicated landline number, is now automatically forwarded to her mobile. So when I text her, I text her..."home" number.

Richard
    03-18-15 10:31 AM
    when i compose a text the contact name comes up with the numbers and their labels.

however, as an example, one contact's numbers comes up in the following order
    Home
    Mobile
    Work
    Other (email)

When i open the contact with the Contacts App the order is
    work
    home
    mobile

when i edit the contact i've set the order as
    mobile
    work
    home

the lack of consistency is a major **** off

how hard would it be either have the order from the edit screen? or filter the numbers so the first option is mobile when composing at text?

the other thing i miss from bbos is having "work" and "work2" fields available. in my ideal world the numbers label could be editted. and categories for contacts would be nice to have again.
    03-18-15 11:16 AM
    Oi...
    I just clicked on text, then compose and started typing out a name. It gave me the option to select that persons HOME or MOBILE.
    der_mit and Conan69 like this.
    03-18-15 11:19 AM
    I didn't see OP respond to the question about which 10.3 they are using. I just updated from 10.2.1.xxx to 10.3.1.1784; when I compose a text, the expected category info on the phone numbers is displayed
    No, not in every case. If you go into the Hub and press the blue Create button on the bottom and select SMS then you get the infamous SMS screen. This one allows you to select receiver names from the contacts list. If you press Ready then it's ready, no numbers involved at all. In this case this thing should indeed ask the user, as long as there are multiple numbers found in a single contact. And also marking a "preferred number" in the contacts would be a proper solution. But starting to type a name just to get the numbers displayed is a bad solution, especially one you can't guess.
    03-18-15 11:34 AM
    I compose sms from the hub and while I type the name it is displaying the recipients numbers, home or mobile so I obviously select the mobile number, easy.

Posted via CB10
    Richard Buckley and Conan69 like this.
    03-18-15 03:06 PM
    No, not in every case. If you go into the Hub and press the blue Create button on the bottom and select SMS then you get the infamous SMS screen. This one allows you to select receiver names from the contacts list. If you press Ready then it's ready, no numbers involved at all. In this case this thing should indeed ask the user, as long as there are multiple numbers found in a single contact. And also marking a "preferred number" in the contacts would be a proper solution. But starting to type a name just to get the numbers displayed is a bad solution, especially one you can't guess.
    I just did exactly this, and got the exact response I mentioned before. I see home, mobile, etc. So again I'll have to assume this comes down to OS version one is running.

Richard
    03-18-15 04:18 PM
    This is not true. What is version are you running ?
    der_mit likes this.
    03-18-15 05:21 PM
    This is not true. What is version are you running ?
    Friends, IT IS TRUE. I use the official 10.3.1.1767 on a Z30. Read exactly what I say: The visibility of numbers depends on typing a name in the recipient's input field. Yes, you see the numbers there. I said this before and I hoped this was clear.

But if you don't start typing a name (I never do that, why should I???) but press the small + on the right of the line and take a name from the contacts list you won't see any number, even if this contact has five different numbers. And in 10.2.1 it was usual that the device selected a landline number, again and again, for sending SMS. On 10.3.1 this didn't happen again until now. But you still don't see that the recipient has multiple numbers and which one is taken. It's true, I just checked it again.
    03-19-15 01:16 AM
    It DOES work in 10.3.1 (well, .1784 at least)!

When you hit the '+', select the name from your contact list. The name will appear in the 'To' field (but as you say, with no number).

HOWEVER ...

If you then press on that selected name (it'll be in a box), you'll get a drop-down menu which will then allow you to select the specific number belonging to that particular contact entry and to which you wish to send your SMS to. Voila!

HTH

Posted via CB10... on my Z30 10.3.1.1784
    tfp likes this.
    03-19-15 03:44 AM
    I just went to compose a text message and when I type a contact's name on the right side it tells me what type of number I'll be selecting.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    03-19-15 06:00 AM
    I just went to compose a text message and when I type a contact's name on the right side it tells me what type of number I'll be selecting
    This was already in 10.2.1 the case. Now you again.
    03-19-15 06:14 AM
    It would be very easy for them to filter the numbers based in the labels, but their research probably said that too many people incorrectly/carelessly add cellphone numbers as "home" or "work" (and vice-versa), that they could not safely rely on that as a filter.

I can't imagine the uproar that they would face for people complaining that "they added the contact, but it doesn't show up for texting,.. BlackBerry needs to get it together, even my old Nokia back in 1999 did a better job at not losing contacts!!!!!!"

So yeah, I don't think you'll see this addressed past the little home/mobile/office indicator that shows up on the "To:" bar of the compose screen.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 06:36 AM
    But if you don't start typing a name (I never do that, why should I???) but press the small + on the right of the line and take a name from the contacts list
    Hmmm: all-touch phone, long list of contacts. Type a couple letters to advance down the list and see all the details I need, or press + and have to scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll until I find who I want and then can't see immediately all their available numbers. HMMM.

(By the way your response in post #14 said nothing about choosing the name by pressing + - not until post #18 did you inform us this was your path)

When there are several ways to get something done, I'm going to choose the one that is quick and/or works well; bonus if it's both.

Richard
    arieltf and der_mit like this.
    03-19-15 07:49 AM
    When there are several ways to get something done, I'm going to choose the one that is quick and/or works well; bonus if it's both.

Richard
    Agreed. If the way you do it isn't working, but a different way does, change the way you do it. Don't continue doing it the way that doesn't work and then complain that the system is broken.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    arieltf and der_mit like this.
    03-19-15 07:59 AM
    I had not even noticed the + next to the recipient box. That is far less efficient than typing the first few letters of the name.

I do think the screen that comes up when you hit + should be improved to show phone numbers if BB is going to keep it around. Why wouldn't I want to be able to select which number to send the text to?
    03-19-15 09:00 AM
27 12