Is it possible to do 'clean' install? Meaning wipe the entire OS and install a new updated OS on the phone. If so, how do I do it with official AT&T OS? I know legacy OS can do clean install, coming from legacy OS, sometime I wish it is just the same procedure

I am waiting for the AT&T update, and once it arrives, I want to do clean install. I have been experiencing weird stuff going on in my BBM (some member pictures in the groups is not viewable - it shows black picture, for one).

Does it matter to do update via OTA or just Link and cable?

Thanks.

PS: please do not reply with instruction for the leak OS. I am not interested in any leak OS. Thank you.
    anon(9186565) likes this.
    06-27-13 12:50 PM
    Is it possible to do 'clean' install? Meaning wipe the entire OS and install a new updated OS on the phone. If so, how do I do it with official AT&T OS? I know legacy OS can do clean install, coming from legacy OS, sometime I wish it is just the same procedure

I am waiting for the AT&T update, and once it arrives, I want to do clean install. I have been experiencing weird stuff going on in my BBM (some member pictures in the groups is not viewable - it shows black picture, for one).

Thanks.

PS: please do not reply with instruction for the leak OS. I am not interested in any leak OS. Thank you.
    You restore to factory settings using Blackberry Link while your device is connected via cable to your computer. At the top there should be "Reload Device Software".

Updates OTA or via Link don't matter, but you'll have to be connected via WiFi or it won't update, pretty sure.
    06-27-13 01:31 PM

Thanks.

The only way to "wipe" your OS is to soft brick it, to do that you will need a autoloader of any variety. During the write process you'll need to unplug your device, effectively soft bricking your device. You can than proceed to use BlackBerry Link or Download BlackBerry Smartphone Software & BlackBerry PlayBook Software - US to reload the OS to your device. The OS it reloads is the stock OS based to your Carrier.
    06-27-13 01:31 PM
    The only way to "wipe" your OS is to soft brick it, to do that you will need a autoloader of any variety. During the write process you'll need to unplug your device, effectively soft bricking your device. You can than proceed to use BlackBerry Link or Download BlackBerry Smartphone Software & BlackBerry PlayBook Software - US to reload the OS to your device. The OS it reloads is the stock OS based to your Carrier.
    Good to know, thanks. I thought reloading the os software did a security wipe / reload.
    06-27-13 01:40 PM
    Good to know, thanks. I thought reloading the os software did a security wipe / reload.
    It is the better way, but they way the OP described "clean" install, I took it as how I posted my response

Posted via my Q10 SQN100-1
    06-27-13 02:46 PM
    I've done it through IE in the BlackBerry.com/update website. Or through Link.
    06-27-13 02:49 PM
    @KrisSmindson, thank you for your suggestion. Isn't it the same as restore to factory settings?

how safe is your procedure if I soft brick (meaning will i be able to 100% restore the phone)? I don't want to end up with brick phone.

Thank you.
    06-27-13 03:29 PM
    @KrisSmindson, thank you for your suggestion. Isn't it the same as restore to factory settings?

how safe is your procedure if I soft brick (meaning will i be able to 100% restore the phone)? I don't want to end up with brick phone.

Thank you.
    Soft bricking won't kill your phone, no worries. I've done it a few times. Kris will confirm but just so you hear it from a few sources!

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 03:39 PM
    I read a post where someone said to open Link on your computer, turn your phone off and plug it onto your computer. they said you would then get a prompt asking if you wanted to install the original software. Will this work and if so is the end result any different then the soft bricking method above?
    06-27-13 03:54 PM
    I read a post where someone said to open Link on your computer, turn your phone off and plug it onto your computer. they said you would then get a prompt asking if you wanted to install the original software. Will this work and if so is the end result any different then the soft bricking method above?
    You should be able to just plug in your phone with BB Link active, then go into settings and choose Reload Device Software. That's it.

Of course it goes without saying that you should backup your phone before attempting...

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 04:02 PM

Thank you.
    It's safe, had to do it to put stock back on my Z from 10.2 before letting it go

06-27-13 04:19 PM
    I see. OK, what I will do then is the following

Once the AT&T update is out, I will plug in my Z10 into Link, then proceed to update. I will do backup first for my data. Then while in progress of updating, unplug the phone. Then phone is 'brick'. Plug in the phone back and then click 'restore'.
    06-27-13 05:16 PM
    I see. OK, what I will do then is the following

Once the AT&T update is out, I will plug in my Z10 into Link, then proceed to update. I will do backup first for my data. Then while in progress of updating, unplug the phone. Then phone is 'brick'. Plug in the phone back and then click 'restore'.
    download a autoloader, don't use link to soft brick your device

06-27-13 05:21 PM
    thanks. where can I download an autoloader? Thanks.
    06-27-13 07:26 PM
    Over in the leaked/beta OS forum section

06-27-13 07:37 PM
    Thank you. One question. If I soft brick my Z10, how can Link know which OS to update? Isn't Brick essentially a corrupted OS? Then Link will restore to the default OS, but which default?

And also, do I need to insert my SIM card during this procedure? I prefer not to insert SIM card because of the down time.

Thanks.
    06-30-13 02:09 PM
    Guys, everything I have to do to make "clean install" is
    1. backup my phone
    2. security wipe
    3. plug in my phone, connect to wireless, run BB link, reload OS..
    thats it?

or just 3. ?
    02-08-14 06:16 PM
    Guys, everything I have to do to make "clean install" is
    1. backup my phone
    2. security wipe
    3. plug in my phone, connect to wireless, run BB link, reload OS..
    thats it?

or just 3. ?
    I'm still waiting on this too. Not sure if you take the battery out when you do this, as I tried to do this the other day, and my phone light lit up green when hooked up but nothing downloaded for me at all, and its driving me nuts
    02-08-14 07:34 PM