I was just trying to show my mother how time-saving BB10's Peak & Flow can be in cases where you just want to "peak" at an sms or e-mail just received but don't really want to reply to it. I then took her Android and tried to show her how many "more" steps she would have to go through in order check up on a new message or e-mail. Surprisingly (In my head, for some reason, I always thought BB 10's Peak & Flow was something unique to it) it turned out, contrary to my supposition, that it took just one, single pull-down gesture of the curtain to "peak" and "flow" back to where I was. So this prompted me to log back on to Crackberry and ask the community how they think BB's Peak & Flow is different form Android's Curtain Pull-down, if you will.
    05-02-13 01:19 PM
    Peek let's you peek and go back to what your doing quickly without causing interruptions.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 01:23 PM
    Peek let's you peek and go back to what your doing quickly without causing interruptions.

Posted via CB10
    But Android's pull-down action let me do the same. I pulled down half way down, read the email excerpt, then pulled back up, back to where I was...
    05-02-13 01:25 PM
    The only advantage I see with the Z10 vs android would be if person has a big phone like S3 or Note 2 you would mostly likely need to use two hands to pull down the notification bar to peek whereas the Z10 its obviously just a quick gesture up. Or dependent on the app that is being used on Android, sometimes the notification bar is hidden and usually requires two swipes down to. See notification. Other than that there isn't no real advantage. I came from a few years of multiple Android phones , most recently the S3.

Posted via CB10
    bluetroll likes this.
    05-02-13 01:43 PM
    Another advantage is that you easily access all messaging apps in one single swipe even in you do not have an notification to view. If you do that on Android, you will see an empty notification pulldown and can't do anything from there.
    jaygere likes this.
    05-02-13 01:51 PM
    Another advantage is that you easily access all messaging apps in one single swipe even in you do not have an notification to view. If you do that on Android, you will see an empty notification pulldown and can't do anything from there.
    Valid point.
    dierre likes this.
    05-02-13 02:09 PM
    Frankly, the biggest advantage is not really Peek and Flow, but the Hub itself. I have three main email accounts, SMS, WhatsApp, etc... and all of the social bits most everyone else has too. In order to work with any/all of them on a Berry, I go to one place, one 'app' that's always running and updated - the Hub. Try to do that on an Android phone and you end up launching apps all over the place, each with a different UI/UX... it's crazy. Even if you BUY an Android app like AquaMail to keep all of your email in one spot, you still can't get all of the rest of the messaging/communications in one spot. That's by far the biggest differentiator and why I won't go back to Android or iOS.

Root.
    kidmac13 likes this.
    05-02-13 02:14 PM
    And I might be wrong, but I think what make it quicker is that you can, not only see the excerpt(not only for email), but you can reply to anything in that hub without having to close, open, then re close and open the individual apps to respond.

That's where that whole keeping you moving thing works for me.

Sent from Amber via CB10.
    05-02-13 02:18 PM
    It's the Hub. The ability to put pretty much whatever you want in there and easily sortable instead of clicking icons for text email whats app etc. It's all in there, all the time.

Posted via CB10 powered by BB10
    05-02-13 02:18 PM
    It's the flow. Try using the droid for a while and navigate throughout the OS. You'll realize that there really is a sort of flow in the OS of bb10.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 02:47 PM
    It's the flow. Try using the droid for a while and navigate throughout the OS. You'll realize that there really is a sort of flow in the OS of bb10.

Posted via CB10
    The gestures itself is unique. You can either swipe up to peek at the time, battery life, signal, or you can continue to swipe to the left and peek into the Hub, or you can just continue to swipe up to minimize the Window. All those 3 parts done in one flow.

And why can't I edit my posts?

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 02:52 PM
    IMHO, Android does NOTIFICATIONS better, but the Z10 handles what you can do AFTER you get an incoming message a lot better. For notifications, hands down Android wins. When a message comes in, you can see it scroll through the sender, subject, and first few lines and decide if you want to reply to it. If you do, pull down the shade and select the notification. It'll take you to the app the notification came to where you can respond.

Now, if you want to go BACK to something that's previously came in, that's where the hub shines. It's super easy to find past messages. On Android of course you can do a search on your device, but you have to remember enough to execute the search. On the hub you can scroll through with the info right there. Also it's easy to compose messages straight from the hub. You don't have to concern yourself with where a certain app is located in order to send a message.

As far as peak & flow, though...I really don't see many advantages over Android in terms of convenience for checking notifications. I find peak is clunky because of the two-gesture movement, whereas Android has the notification scroll at the top of the screen, and after that it's just a gesture and tap and then you're into the message. Plus when I'm doing something on my phone in landscape, I can't peak. I have to either turn my phone to portrait or swipe out of what I'm doing completely.
    05-02-13 02:59 PM
    IMHO, Android does NOTIFICATIONS better, but the Z10 handles what you can do AFTER you get an incoming message a lot better. For notifications, hands down Android wins. When a message comes in, you can see it scroll through the sender, subject, and first few lines and decide if you want to reply to it. If you do, pull down the shade and select the notification. It'll take you to the app the notification came to where you can respond.

Now, if you want to go BACK to something that's previously came in, that's where the hub shines. It's super easy to find past messages. On Android of course you can do a search on your device, but you have to remember enough to execute the search. On the hub you can scroll through with the info right there. Also it's easy to compose messages straight from the hub. You don't have to concern yourself with where a certain app is located in order to send a message.

As far as peak & flow, though...I really don't see many advantages over Android in terms of convenience for checking notifications. I find peak is clunky because of the two-gesture movement, whereas Android has the notification scroll at the top of the screen, and after that it's just a gesture and tap and then you're into the message. Plus when I'm doing something on my phone in landscape, I can't peak. I have to either turn my phone to portrait or swipe out of what I'm doing completely.
    I agree, it's what you can do after peaking in BB that makes it better than the Android. However, the peaking part itself is probably equivalent to the scrolling down in Android.
    05-02-13 03:17 PM
    I'm being a anal here but "Peak" would be the top of something. Like peak of a mountain. The proper word is peek. Like peekaboo.

Posted via CB10
    jaygere likes this.
    05-02-13 04:33 PM
    I'm being a anal here but "Peak" would be the top of something. Like peak of a mountain. The proper word is peek. Like peekaboo.

Posted via CB10
    What if it was peakaboo?

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 04:44 PM

Not so, I just did a landscape peek. Slide thumb from bottom of screen ( right) to the top of the screen (left side) and back down again. You do have to tap the active frame to re enter the app you were previously using...but far easier than android imo.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 05:05 PM
    Valid point.
    Indeed

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 05:33 PM
    Peek is a BB10 OS concept. It's just used as a way to "Peek" into your HUB. Which is where your notifications and all messages come to in one place.

Now, imagine you're talking to one person who sent you directions. You can open up that conversation. Go to lets say the maps app, and you're 2 or 1 and a half swipe if you curve to peek between the app and the directions.

It has its uses.

Android and BB10 are both similar concepts different implementations. They have their own ways of doing things. In terms of notifications, one might not be more superior than the other.

But in terms of messaging, BB10 is the way to go.
    05-03-13 01:21 AM