05-08-13 09:43 PM
44 12
tools
    My Z10 is awesome. However, my phone just restarted for the umpteenth time. Reading over the forums it came to the conclusion that it is either this or that.

When is BlackBerry going to hold itself to the higher standard that they have set themselves to when they took BlackBerry in their current direction. It would be nice if the ceo or someone with some weight woukd come out and say "Yeah, the reboot thing is an Issue"

I get why they wouldn't want to do that right now. How they are trying to set BlackBerry up for the future and how that would be really damaging esp the way the media would kill it. For all sakes given do something. I don't know where the attitude of "It's going to be Fixed" or "Return the Phone".

To me taking the phone back to get it replaced is like ordering food and it comes out cold, no big deal. Then you tell the waitor its cold (no big deal make me a new one) but instead goes to the back and throws your burger in the microwave.

But hey, it's no big deal. I have high expectations for BlackBerry. Maybe I should just accept it for what it is and wait and not gripe and complain and be a good BlackBerry user. I don't have any other option for I don't want a I phone or to go back to android.

So what I'm saying as a consumer is that I NEED issues this big fixed not overnight but definitely no longer than a month. If not come out big and say somthing about it. Also, that I FEEL BlackBerry is way better and should be held to a higher standard.

With lots of love, rainbows, and all that is sweet in the world. Thank you

Posted via CB10
    The reboot issue is indeed a mystery and yet, no word of assurance as to whether they've found the cause. At least tell us they've identified it and a fix is coming.

I understand your dilemma, but what if BlackBerry's job is to secure the OS? They wouldn't come out saying much of anything. If they do, they'd be risking exploitation of their BB10 phones.

As google.com has shown me, I can assure you that since Samsung's Galaxy S3 uses the same MDM8960 chip as the Z10, they also experience random reboots. So you can be sure that this is clearly a hardware issue, not on behalf of BlackBerry, but most likely a Qualcomm issue. Also, random reboots on iOS is not as common, but only to those who install non-approved apps following a jailbreak. There's even iOS reboot issues after changing out the LCD.

We all know that QNX is stable as a rock, very developed and not to mention, has code that's 31 years old--very mature. This issue can be fixed very quickly with the help of the community with the proper tools as I've helped a game company identify a memory leak which caused their game to crash and losing all saved progress. They then had no room to blame on anything else causing the issue and quickly corrected it. Hackers have also known to patch exploits on iOS even before Apple has even gotten to it.

The issue here with the BlackBerry community is that when one mentions anything remotely related to a jailbreak, it would be deemed as a sacrilege and you will be burned at the stake. It's cute in a juvenile sort of way, but locking down a system in such a way also has its drawbacks such as this. If this reality were to change, one can easily run a debugger and pin point where the reboot is originating from.
    05-07-13 11:11 PM
    Is it possible that there's maybe a certain app you've downloaded that's some how not agreeing with the OS? Just an idea.

Sam
    05-07-13 11:19 PM
    Is it possible that there's maybe a certain app you've downloaded that's some how not agreeing with the OS? Just an idea.

Sam
    Quite possibly yes, but I think some here has had random reboot even without installing any apps.
    05-07-13 11:23 PM
    I just got my phone last week. The first few days it rebooted randomly. Two days ago I backed up everything on my SD card then formatted it using the phone, then moved the data back to the card. The phone has not rebooted since.

The card is one I used on my old 9860.
    05-07-13 11:40 PM
    BlackBerry already acknowledged the random reboots in a KB article.. they are working on it, but we don't know what the time frame is like.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 02:03 AM
    "Curiouser and curiouser. They must go by the carrier" Said Alice. I have not had any reboots with Z10 but my first 9900 did it daily. Until I changed the mobile network menu from "2g or 3g" to "Always 3g". I think I read somewhere that some networks were having stability problems. I know that the Z10 does not give a choice of network, but I think this is one theory that could be explored. It fixed my 9900.
    05-08-13 02:19 AM
    And it did it again.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 11:52 AM
    BlackBerry already acknowledged the random reboots in a KB article.. they are working on it, but we don't know what the time frame is like.

Posted via CB10
    That's what I thought.

I'm on Verizon I've had my phone for about a month now. Had about a handful of random reboots all days apart. It's now 5/8 and I haven't had a random reboot since 5/1. Knock on wood... I'm curious to see how long it will go. Other than that, my phone has been pretty solid.
    05-08-13 12:10 PM
    From what I can see there is a pattern of complaint about the reboots here. I see many of you are from the states. Could it not be US Carrier related? Again, I'm with Bell and then have applied both OS leaks and never have had a random reboot, ever since I picked it up in Feb. Maybe apply the latest OS leak, clean install and only restore settings as a try. You can use BBWorld to restore apps, etc. and test the theory. Store your pics, ringtones, etc. on your SD card. It's a better place anyway. Good luck...
    05-08-13 12:12 PM
    I don't know why some folks keep having reboot issues. I've never had one since the day I got my Z10....not even with 2 OS leaks. I'm in Canada. are the reboots isolated to certain countries/carriers? very strange. sorry you're having this prob. This is weird...

Posted via CB10 using Z10
    Ditto here. It's gotta be a specific carrier issue?

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 12:16 PM
    You guys have to realize that the random reboots are rare. Despite what is happening to us, it's not happening to the majority of the user base at all. Regardless of that fact, they are working on the problem and they believe it is a software issue. I hope they're right.

If you're experiencing reboots that frequently you should probably take it back and get a replacement. There's no reason for you to suffer while you wait on a fix.

Posted via CB10
    I do not have any reboots and yet I DO NOT agree with you.
    Even if it is one device faulty, they should pay attention.
    Unless the device was given as a gift and not being paid for.
    You have worked hard to make the money to afford the Z10.
    If you hadn't worked hard your employer wouldn't have paid you.
    Why give away that money to BB?
    I love my Z and I am a BB fan, I can't imagine myself with another device.
    Nevertheless, fair is fair.

Finally, IMHO rebooting issue is probably hardware related or if it software probably from android ports.
    I too run .1627 with no issues whatsoever.
    (only Skype sideloaded).
    05-08-13 12:24 PM
    I think these re-boots are a very complex issue, both from reading many of the posts from people who have them regularly and from my own single uncommanded reboot.

I was listening to a podcast via BlueTooth in my car. The podcast was saved on the SDCard and the software is configured to delete the 'cast after it finishes playing. The podcast ended, I started music and about 30 seconds into the first song the audio stopped, a few seconds later the BlueTooth connection went down and the phone was rebooting. The last time my SDCard was formatted was in a 9700.

If the reboots need a perfect storm of, for example in my case, BlueTooth streaming, reading from an SDCard with maybe an iffy format, and deleting a largeish file from the SDCard at the same time, it can be very difficult to reliably replicate the conditions so that the source can be found. And for those waiting for BlackBerry to say what the problem is, it is very possible that if the problem is know by malicious actors they may be able to turn the crash into malware. I know there is something up with BlueTooth streaming on 10.0. I've had the streaming go silent and require a reboot to get it back; and I've had it run away at high speed which only needs a Pause/Play to fix. But this again seems only to happen on my SDCard. When I get time I intend to reformat it, but that may not be before 10.1 is dropped so I may never know if the SDCard was part of the problem or not.

I have also noted that lots of people say they aren't running any sideloaded apps now. This leave the question, did you wipe and restore the OS after you removed the sideloaded apps? If not, are you sure that they didn't leave something behind?

It's complicated.
    05-08-13 12:51 PM
    Turning it off makes it easier to clean the screen.
    (Off topic!)
    Just go to Settings > Display > Allow Gestures when Locked = Off

Then click the top button to turn off the display and clean away. WIth "Allow Gestures when Locked = Off", it won't turn on again while you are cleaning the screen.

When you're done, just set "Allow Gestures when Locked = On"
    05-08-13 01:08 PM
    I definitely think its time BB acknowledge this problem more formally. I mean, they could be losing customers over this.

I have only experienced one random reboot before I upgraded to BB 10.0.10.672 (build 445581).

Not one reboot since. But again, I'm in Canada with an STL 100-3. Definitely seems the majority of users with this problem are Americans.
    05-08-13 01:12 PM
    I am on Bell mobility and I have been having the same issue. As well as a morning of unexplained 250 mb data usage and battery drain(4hrs)with phone in holster.
    I had this happen to me in the last week. I'm in Canada with Rogers

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 01:35 PM
    Z10STL100-4/10.1.0.1483 on Verizon

I too was fed up with all the reboots (I didn't even install the latest OS from Verizon when I bought this BlackBerry), but after I finally did enough waiting and research I installed this leaked OS.

Still had reboots (albeit less than before) so I decided to permanently delete all the Verizon-installed applications.

Lo and behold, I haven't had any reboots for three to four days which is an immense difference.

My opinion (don't quote or crucify me on this) would be memory leaks? Because my free memory would start at 1.2GB to start my day and then stabilise around 800-700MB.

I hope this post helped at all because other posters in threads saved my relationship with me and BlackBerry many times.

.... Or is it BlackBerry and I? Grammar Nazis please proofread haha

Anyway, good day and/or night to you all.
    05-08-13 01:43 PM
    Not my Z10 mines been perfect but my gf's Z10 reboots everyday and she has never even signed up to blackberry store let alone download anything. We're both on Telus in Canada since Feb. Scares me that we both have the same phone same OS yet hers reboots and mine doesn't.

If it is hardware related, will blackberry return a million phones?

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 01:45 PM
    I know that the Z10 does not give a choice of network, but I think this is one theory that could be explored. It fixed my 9900.
    Actually, it does. You have the option to choose the network mode, (on my unlocked STL 100-1, at least) - just go to: Settings > Network Connections > Mobile Network > Network Mode
    05-08-13 02:18 PM
    Just now. I'm watching my warriors win go to check my messages and the phone is now off. Took a few to start again. Uuugghhh.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 09:43 PM
44 12