Mnc76, I haven't tested netflix. I've installed imbd, instagram, notes.. all have such a bad loading times that is pathetic!
    Instagram and notes have decent in-app performance, but the imdb app feels so heavy.

The main grip is the loading times, which currently sucks badly!

Posted via CB10
    BDLIVE4463 likes this.
    04-29-14 04:40 PM
    Mnc76, I haven't tested netflix. I've installed imbd, instagram, notes.. all have such a bad loading times that is pathetic!
    Instagram and notes have decent in-app performance, but the imdb app feels so heavy.

The main grip is the loading times, which currently sucks badly!

Posted via CB10
    Instagram is pretty decent (except when you scroll past a video post, and then it gets "stuck" on that post for a bit too long). Yes, IMDB does suck.

You're right about load times though: they suck on pretty much ALL Android apps -- I will definitely concede this.

I find that apps written for Android 2.2 run poorly, while apps that were written for Android 4 or above run much much smoother (once they've loaded that is).

Posted via CB10
    Sergiu1337 likes this.
    04-29-14 04:54 PM
    Wow seriously? Android runtime only uses one core? If that's true BB truly has some of the worst developers on earth working for them (plenty of other evidence to support this observation as well).
    I answered that allegation previously here.

Supposedly that limit (as well as lack of hardware video acceleration) was removed when the Android runtime was updated to Jellybean over 6 months ago.

Unfortunately I can't find official documentation on that point yet.
    04-29-14 11:16 PM
    BB10's Android performance is not uniform across "all Android apps". It can vary tremendously from app to app. There are apps that are so slow as to be literally unusable, and there are apps that you couldn't even tell were ports (unless you saw the tell-tale 'back' strip at the bottom).

According to tickerguy, the worst aspect is I/O performance, and I can believe that. I think he means filesystem performance, not network, but I'm not sure.

Also interestingly, I haven't noticed lately the screen update issue on the app I usually check that with. Which is curious, because I could swear that problem existed after my latest round of OS updates but maybe 10.2.1.2228 addressed it.

I also wish I could figure out why running an Android task manager in the BB10 runtime sometimes sees only itself (makes sense if everything is sandboxed), but sometimes sees (and can kill) a bunch of other background processes. I can't find a pattern to this behaviour.
    04-29-14 11:21 PM
    I answered that allegation previously here.

Supposedly that limit (as well as lack of hardware video acceleration) was removed when the Android runtime was updated to Jellybean over 6 months ago.

Unfortunately I can't find official documentation on that point yet.
    We'll just take your word for it then.
    04-30-14 09:19 AM
    Hardware acceleration is definitely there, just not for everything. That or some other part of the runtime is slow and causing the responsiveness to dip massively at times.

Posted via CB10
    mnc76 likes this.
    05-01-14 01:26 AM
    Spotify is one of those apps that I need to be able to use on my mobile platform. And I'm very disappointed with how it performs on BlackBerry. The Z10 just doesn't seem to have enough power to run Android apps well at all. Audio is constantly cutting out and my phone is getting HOT! Clearly this phone is struggling to keep up and it just can't.

Is anyone else experiencing this or is it just something with my device? I may have to ditch BlackBerry and go back to android.

Posted via CB10
    Enable desktop mode on your browser and access spotify from the web player.

One bonus is that you won't run into the same limitations like you do on the app if you are a free user.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-14 03:22 AM
    Enable desktop mode on your browser and access spotify from the web player.

One bonus is that you won't run into the same limitations like you do on the app if you are a free user.

Posted via CB10
    Just wanna add, might also want to turn your phone to landscape. I find that it can help with sites on desktop mode, particularly the ones that expect landscape instead of portrait

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    kbz1960 and Djlatino like this.
    05-01-14 12:57 PM
    According to tickerguy, the worst aspect is I/O performance, and I can believe that. I think he means filesystem performance, not network, but I'm not sure.

Also interestingly, I haven't noticed lately the screen update issue on the app I usually check that with. Which is curious, because I could swear that problem existed after my latest round of OS updates but maybe 10.2.1.2228 addressed it.

I also wish I could figure out why running an Android task manager in the BB10 runtime sometimes sees only itself (makes sense if everything is sandboxed), but sometimes sees (and can kill) a bunch of other background processes. I can't find a pattern to this behaviour.
    Yeah, I would buy that is slow as well (file io, network io, or possibly both).

I haven't noticed the screen update issue either (it used to happen all the time with Flipboard), but I still notice a 1-2 second delay when resuming an Android app during which time the app ignores any touch input. I also often see the app redraw the screen just before it becomes responsive again.

I will note : very often with Android apps in BBW, the version of the same app on Snap (Google Play) is much better than the BBW one. Flipboard and PicsArt are two examples. For example: the version of Flipboard on BBW generates an error if you "like" an Instagram post using it, while this bug has been fixed on the Snap version. It also seems to perform a bit faster.

The Kobo ebook app is another one. The Snap version has cool animated page transitions that the BBW version doesn't.

Horrible android app performance?-pageflip.png

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by mnc76; 05-02-14 at 07:37 PM.
    05-02-14 11:25 AM
    Yeah, I would buy that is slow as well (file io, network io, or possibly both).

I haven't noticed the screen update issue either (it used to happen all the time with Flipboard), but I still notice a 1-2 second delay when resuming an Android app during which time the app ignores any touch input. I also often see the app redraw the screen just before it becomes responsive again.

I will note : very often with Android apps in BBW, the version of the same app on Snap (Google Play) is much better than the BBW one. Flipboard and PicsArt are two examples. For example: the version of Flipboard on BBW generates an error if you "like" an Instagram post using it, while this bug has been fixed on the Snap version. It also seems to perform a bit faster.

The Kobo ebook app is another one. The Snap version has cool animated page transitions that the BBW version doesn't.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pageflip.png 
Views:	189 
Size:	150.4 KB 
ID:	267410

Posted via CB10
    That'd be because the developers haven't updated the app in BlackBerry World yet.

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    05-03-14 05:14 AM
    That'd be because the developers haven't updated the app in BlackBerry World yet.

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    I was aware of that.

Just pointing it out for anyone who's only experience with Android apps is with those from BBW.

I will note one worrisome issue however:

Some of the newer Snap versions have been upgraded to use Google Play Services (GPS), so they don't work on BB10 (even though the older version from BBW still works).

Sometimes uninstalling the new (non-working GPS) version and then reinstalling the old (working) version doesn't work : the old version will just crash (even if it used to run perfectly).

It appears that sometimes the new version leaves configuration artifacts that aren't fully deleted when it's uninstalled, and these corrupt any subsequent attempts to reinstall the old version.

As an example, people have reported this issue with Waze I believe.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 06:46 AM
    Sometimes uninstalling the new (non-working GPS) version and then reinstalling the old (working) version doesn't work : the old version will just crash (even if it used to run perfectly).

It appears that sometimes the new version leaves configuration artifacts that aren't fully deleted when it's uninstalled, and these corrupt any subsequent attempts to reinstall the old version.
    Something I have long been afraid-of with Android apps on BB10. There is almost no visibility of the changes such apps make on the system, nor any "official" way to uninstall a non-BBW-installed app.

Using the storage tab in Device Monitor is the crowdsourced preference, but A) no official support from BB on this, and B) it is known to still leave "artifacts" at times. Some Android apps seem to create data folders in very strange places. (Recent 10.2.1 OS versions seem to have added some additional soft-links to certain folders - presumably an attempt to address some of that.)

As an example, people have reported this issue with Waze I believe.
    No wonder there, Waze is a virus.
    05-04-14 09:47 AM
    No, it's not you.
    In general, the android apps perform poor, another good example is imdb. Poor load times, poor in-app performance.

Posted via CB10
    Why not download the Native IMDB app in BBWORLD? Works great.

Posted via my ZED30
    05-04-14 12:09 PM
    Why not download the Native IMDB app in BBWORLD? Works great.

Posted via my ZED30
    You mean the third party app IMDB app by S4BB? Didn't know it existed until your post!

Posted via CB10
    05-05-14 04:21 AM
64 123