Can anyone confirm that if you hold the Z10 in Landscape mode that the homescreen actually adjusts and Shows apps and Icons accordingly?
    02-12-13 09:45 AM
    The homescreen is in portrait only.
    steinergstaad likes this.
    02-12-13 09:52 AM
    I noticed that in a few videos also. Can't say I'm too thrilled about that design choice - though it could likely be changed in future update.
    02-12-13 10:02 AM
    This lack of landscape support is increasingly frustrating... its awkward to hold the phone for any length of time that way.

This crackberry app is also non landscape friendly...WTF!

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    robitaille93 likes this.
    02-13-13 01:23 AM
    This lack of landscape support is increasingly frustrating... its awkward to hold the phone for any length of time that way.

This crackberry app is also non landscape friendly...WTF!

IOS & Native Android OS does NOT support landscape either from what i know. It could be a issue with all the OS's that they do NOT want to add landscape home screen.
    diegonei likes this.
    02-13-13 01:26 AM
    Android OS do support it mostly anywhere u are on the thing homescreen, apps, browser and continuing
    02-13-13 01:42 AM
    Android OS do support it mostly anywhere u are on the thing homescreen, apps, browser and continuing
    Weird because on my Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, S3 & HTC Raider, i am not able to put the homescreen in landscape?. Please show me a way to do this as i have never seen it unless you get a custom ROM to do it or a app that will do this.. Also gets apps, browser & other things can do it. It depends on the developer as well.
    b320 and diegonei like this.
    02-13-13 01:44 AM
    I don't really care what other platforms do. It's this one I choose to remain with.

Since the Storm & thru every touch screen since, we have been able to type & read via landscape ( makes sense when using a small screen huh!?)

So in an app like this... why am I forced to feel cramped up by using portrait ONLY? Is it impossible to enable landscape?

kbz1960 likes this.
    02-13-13 02:21 AM
    I'd also like to see support for a landscape wide OS mode. I think it's something we'll probably see in a future update - namely when the PlayBook gets BB10. Seeing that the PlayBook is a landscape orientated device it would make sense to just port that UI directly to the phone and vice versa with the phone UI for the PlayBook in portrait mode.
    JAGWIRE likes this.
    02-13-13 05:12 AM
    ...Since the Storm & thru every touch screen since, we have been able to type & read via landscape ( makes sense when using a small screen huh!?)

So in an app like this... why am I forced to feel cramped up by using portrait ONLY? Is it impossible to enable landscape?
    The choice is up to the app developer. Please note that landscape mode *is* available in BlackBerry Hub and the BlackBerry 10 Browser. If you'd like to see it in the CrackBerry App for BlackBerry 10, please post such feedback here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/crackbe...-world-769714/

(PS: I think the CrackBerry app should have landscape mode as well. I'm not sure why it doesn't but there might be good reasons why it's not there or not there just for 1.0).
    02-13-13 05:20 AM
    The Playbook home screen is landscape friendly so it is possible with QNX!

Lets shout for it in the next major OS update.
    02-13-13 05:29 AM
    I'm not a fan of this portrait only mode either. Not everyone can or cares to use their phone and new handed all the time. People with hand and wrist issues especially won't like it.
    02-13-13 05:33 AM
    One of my biggest disappointmentds with bb10 is lack of Os landscape support. I had it in my 9860 and really miss it. Bb10 hub supports it but the home screen and native apps like BBM do not. I really hope it's coming.

02-13-13 02:19 PM
    One of my biggest disappointmentds with bb10 is lack of Os landscape support. I had it in my 9860 and really miss it. Bb10 hub supports it but the home screen and native apps like BBM do not. I really hope it's coming.

Landscape mode would *not* make sense on the homescreen because it would make key gestures cumbersome, especially, when using the phone with one hand. Imagine swiping across horizontally with one hand. Further, single orientation homescreen follows the same model as iPhone and Windows Phone. Both of those platforms get high regard for design and users "get" them.

Still, give BlackBerry a chance to be imaginative here though. Maybe the people working on BlackBerry 10 will figure out a way to do it that will surpass your expectations.

Regarding BBM: BlackBerry is aware that BBM is expected to work in Landscape Mode by users. It appears that BlackBerry is working on it by saying it's not supported "at this time" in this BlackBerry Knowledge Base article:

KB33708-BlackBerry Messenger conversations do not rotate to Landscape orientation
    02-15-13 02:18 AM
    It worked fine on my torch.. just apply the same to this and it would be great
    ndon70 likes this.
    02-15-13 03:53 AM

You are probably already aware of this since you mentioned the hub, but BBM does support landscape as long as you access it through the hub and not the icon (and landcape support for the icon is coming).
    02-15-13 04:07 AM
    It's true..i find that strange
    02-15-13 04:57 AM
    You are probably already aware of this since you mentioned the hub, but BBM does support landscape as long as you access it through the hub and not the icon (and landcape support for the icon is coming).
    Wow that us true, just tried it myself lol.
    Why would it be like that though, very confusing.

02-15-13 05:01 AM
    Landscape mode would *not* make sense on the homescreen because it would make key gestures cumbersome, especially, when using the phone with one hand. Imagine swiping across horizontally with one hand. Further, single orientation homescreen follows the same model as iPhone and Windows Phone. Both of those platforms get high regard for design and users "get" them.
    I'm sorry but I completely disagree with your logic. BlackBerry needs to innovate as opposed to merely imitating. Following through on your logic would suggest that BlackBerry should never deviate from that of which is standard on other platforms. Where's the competitive advantage in that approach?

Plus an option is just that - something that can be enabled or disabled. If it's not to your liking then simply disable it (or use the rotation lock).

Still, give BlackBerry a chance to be imaginative here though. Maybe the people working on BlackBerry 10 will figure out a way to do it that will surpass your expectations.
    I think this point somewhat contradicts your above comment - but I do hope you're right.
    kbz1960 and ndon70 like this.
    02-15-13 06:23 AM
    It worked fine on my torch.. just apply the same to this and it would be great
    BlackBerry 10 results from a from-the-ground-up rebuild of the OS, bundled apps and platform using a different (and better) UI philosophy. Code from the legacy apps cannot be just applied or copied.

if BlackBerry just winged all these features, people would've been complaining even more. Give BlackBerry time to address properly.
    02-15-13 07:45 AM
    I'm sorry but I completely disagree with your logic. BlackBerry needs to innovate as opposed to merely imitating. Following through on your logic would suggest that BlackBerry should never deviate from that of which is standard on other platforms. Where's the competitive advantage in that approach?

Plus an option is just that - something that can be enabled or disabled. If it's not to your liking then simply disable it (or use the rotation lock).

I think this point somewhat contradicts your above comment - but I do hope you're right.
    I think that we agree more than disagree.

BlackBerry is largely meeting the main goals set out for this new platform, most importantly, bringing the OS to the point where it's on par with the other competing platforms -- not talking about the app ecosystem here but about the OS itself. Most reviews (other than those that didn't "get it") have agreed that BlackBerry 10 brings BlackBerry to par with iOS and Android (as in each of those is still best in some ways and BlackBerry is the best in others but overall the three are on par at the OS level). This is an amazing achievement.

Another major goal was to redo the entire UI in such a way that it's competitive with the market leaders, still fresh but in such a way that most consumers "get" it easily without feeling as if they have to do things a "special" way. This means simplifying things. I personally love millions of options for different things but the average American consumer will live with one way if it works well (see Apple). However, the mobile device market is a game that's almost entirely about the vast masses (read billions of potential customers of different cultures, backgrounds and technology-experience levels). It's not about the enthusiasts.

Finally, where did I say that BlackBerry should *only* imitate? I think BlackBerry *should* be the platform where things are done differently (as long as that means they're done better) and leave direct "carbon-copy design" to others (see Apple accusing Samsung and others of doing this in Apple's litigation over past three years). Having three hundred bells and whistles for the pure sake of having something whether that something is done well or not is not good, it is the imitation that you don't think is enough (again, we see a lot of this in Android).

Let me clarify from my previous reply (italicized text is added):

Still, give BlackBerry a chance to be imaginative here though (as in further homescreen improvements) . Maybe the people working on BlackBerry 10 (as in BlackBerry's OS development team) will figure out a way to do it (by it, I mean "landscape homescreen orientation") that will surpass your expectations.
    Let BlackBerry focus on the most important things now with room for further innovations later. My main point was that the way that the homescreen is now, it by and large works and it's been reviewed as "very good," "excellent" or at minimum "acceptable" (again by those who didn't just "not get it"). If BlackBerry just slapped rotation onto the current homescreen, that would detract from the simplicity of the current design and every "expert" out there on the Internet would jump on BlackBerry about a "weird and inconsistent" homescreen.
    Last edited by b320; 02-15-13 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Reply was originally posted accidentally before it was finished.
    02-15-13 07:57 AM
    Nice reasoning b320. But...it needs landscape.

02-15-13 12:06 PM
    Let BlackBerry focus on the most important things now with room for further innovations later. My main point was that the way that the homescreen is now, it by and large works...
    Thanks for the clarification of your earlier post - It's a tone I'm more inclined to agree with. Your point above is particularly pertinent and echoes the comment I made earlier on in this thread...

I'd also like to see support for a landscape wide OS mode. I think it's something we'll probably see in a future update - namely when the PlayBook gets BB10. Seeing that the PlayBook is a landscape orientated device it would make sense to just port that UI directly to the phone and vice versa with the phone UI for the PlayBook in portrait mode.
    Which leads to...

I think that we agree more than disagree.
    ...Of which I concur.
    02-15-13 02:21 PM
    Funny..

I have my auto-rotate off. I dislike landscape mode for most things. It seems you lose too much real estate for reading...especially with the keyboard up
    02-15-13 02:24 PM

Regarding BBM: BlackBerry is aware that BBM is expected to work in Landscape Mode by users. It appears that BlackBerry is working on it by saying it's not supported "at this time" in this BlackBerry Knowledge Base article:

KB33708-BlackBerry Messenger conversations do not rotate to Landscape orientation
    The point is that it would be user choice. And the gesture thing would not be a prob. Note how it works fine in the PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 11:38 AM
30 12