Ya I can't see BBM using that much data, your carrier must be pushing something to your phone as soon as you connect. I do hope that Onavo, snappli or some other third party data compression company comes to BB10 soon though since BB doesn't want to charge carriers for BIS services like this anymore.

JR
    03-09-13 03:44 PM
    I'm with Bell and 1gig plan with 1 day to go and only used 670mg so far. Definitely has to be something else causing your prob I hate to say. ya it used to be better compression in the previous OS's but I guess this is the new world of 4g lte.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 04:10 PM
    I just noticed this today with regards to data usage: I left App World on as an active frame at home with the sleep cover of my case closed and it did suck more data every hour. I normally dont have any active frames going when I close the phone but today I did leave App World going and sure enough.

It still wasnt huge but a noticeable spike. I think App World in particular does need data even under wifi just from past experience with my Torch so I'm not sure if other apps left running would do the same or not but something to be aware of anyway.
    03-09-13 07:41 PM
    High data usage-img_00000055.jpg
    Connected to WIFI maybe i HIGHLY doubt just using 4G! I call BS on this one. I am a heavy user and don't even hit 2GB on the 4G network!
    The proof is in the pudding as they say.
    03-09-13 08:04 PM
    Ya I can't see BBM using that much data, your carrier must be pushing something to your phone as soon as you connect. I do hope that Onavo, snappli or some other third party data compression company comes to BB10 soon though since BB doesn't want to charge carriers for BIS services like this anymore.

JR
    It's not that BlackBerry doesn't want to charge carriers for BIS its the carriers that have always balked at having to pay that fee to access BlackBerry servers so for BB10 they bowed to the pressure and made it optional.

As for BBM causing heavy data usage there is no way if your on bell they still require a BBM plan. So any bbms you send are unlimited and don't eat normal data.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 08:34 PM

You wanna talk about crazy bills, get your 14 year old daughter an iPhone and watch Apple rape you through their app store.

Lil sidenote, that same 14 year old daughter has her iPhone for sale on Kijiji, she wants a Z10 I'm so proud of her, my little girl is growing up.
    Lol! No offence wilderr, that is too funny!
    03-09-13 08:45 PM
    It's not that BlackBerry doesn't want to charge carriers for BIS its the carriers that have always balked at having to pay that fee to access BlackBerry servers so for BB10 they bowed to the pressure and made it optional.

As for BBM causing heavy data usage there is no way if your on bell they still require a BBM plan. So any bbms you send are unlimited and don't eat normal data.

Posted via CB10
    According to bell tech BBM does use data. You purchase of what they are calling a blackberry data plan.
    03-09-13 09:52 PM
    I am sure that BBM doesn't use a lot of data cause here in South Africa 1 Mobile/Service provider is offering free bbm for life and the other isn't offering it an additional plan has to be purchased in order to chat on BBM which I find disappointing if it can workout of the box without BIS why can it not work BBM the same way.
    03-09-13 10:55 PM
    If you all would look around and see that there have been lots of people over the last month commenting about the Z10 burning through their data plan allotment extremely quickly. Search for data usage, I believe CB has a thread about it somewhere.
    03-09-13 11:41 PM
    Last month I tweeted @BlackBerryHelp and ask them if the BB10 use BlackBerry DataSmart� technology?

They message me back with:

"Hey Sudevi, DataSmart Technology is not available in BlackBerry 10. Let me know if you have any questions. ^CB"

I'm still using my BlackBerry 9320 with OS 7.1 but I do want to get a Z10 or Q10 in the near future.
    03-10-13 12:03 AM
    I'd check your email setup. On my mom's android phone, when her school district was having mail server issues, her EAS email account tried like crazy to retrieve email which caused horrible battery life and my plan's data consumption to go from my average 400MB/mo across all lines to nearly 2GB for just her line, and I found the problem in less than 1 week and shut it down until they got their server running correctly. I know that android isn't an equal comparison to your Z10, but your problem sounds pretty similar. She's a very light internet user and easy on the apps, and her data use was redonkulous. I have heard the Z10 has had some quirky email issues especially on POP accounts and SMTP. Just a thought....
    03-10-13 03:40 AM

Posted via CB10
    Optional?
    so I can still use BIS and compression with a Z10?
    03-10-13 03:53 AM
    I created a thread about it as having exact same problem here in UK on O2

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=778101

Posted via CB10
    03-10-13 04:03 AM
    How much BBM video did you do?
    03-10-13 11:29 AM
    How much BBM video did you do?
    None. Only wifi with data turned off.
    03-10-13 11:58 AM
    Okay. Updated. The task manager has revealed some android tasks running in background. One of the was a calendar link, another I couldn't identify. I have deleted all android apps. I am monitoring usage and will cross reference app use with data consumption.

The real complaint of the thread was the fact that BBM has been excluded from Bell text and video messaging plans. I hate that.

That is all.......
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    03-10-13 12:02 PM
    Then I also use wife more with my Z10 than I did with my bold... Let's see.

Posted via CB10
    Egads man, that's a little too personal!

hpjrt, schiri and scorepion like this.
    03-10-13 12:36 PM
    Egads man, that's a little too personal!

Looks like the spellchecker got me too.... gah... (note, I'm not married, never have been ).

Its one of the things I would have thought it had learnt by now... grr...
    Well, I'm not along with that replacement... the peril of on screen keyboards with automatic error correction...
    03-10-13 12:48 PM
    Okay. Updated. The task manager has revealed some android tasks running in background. One of the was a calendar link, another I couldn't identify. I have deleted all android apps. I am monitoring usage and will cross reference app use with data consumption.

The real complaint of the thread was the fact that BBM has been excluded from Bell text and video messaging plans. I hate that.

That is all.......
    Ah, no no no, that is not all, not by a long shot.
    It's about a month in and people were waiting to hear horror stories of Android apps, either through app world or sideloaded, that began acting in bizarre ways, to examine the effect this would have on BlackBerry security for BB10 consumers.

If you went through 4 gigs in 4 days because of Android apps, then that's a huge huge issue and highlights the dangers of unvetted Android apps on BB10, where you may not have any idea where they come from, and you have zero protection compared to Android apps on Android devices. You could be the first of many! Were the apps sideloaded or legit?
    03-10-13 12:55 PM
    Ah, no no no, that is not all, not by a long shot.
    It's about a month in and people were waiting to hear horror stories of Android apps, either through app world or sideloaded, that began acting in bizarre ways, to examine the effect this would have on BlackBerry security for BB10 consumers.

If you went through 4 gigs in 4 days because of Android apps, then that's a huge huge issue and highlights the dangers of unvetted Android apps on BB10, where you may not have any idea where they come from, and you have zero protection compared to Android apps on Android devices. You could be the first of many! Were the apps sideloaded or legit?
    Lol, 1gb in 4 days, I don't know where it escalated to 4gb in 4 days.
    leehardballer12 likes this.
    03-10-13 12:57 PM
    Then I also use wife more with my Z10 than I did with my bold... Let's see.

Posted via CB10
    So you use your wife more since getting the BlackBerry Z10 huh? That's very thoughtful and I am sure she appreciates the extra attention.

Posted via CB10 on the BlackBerry Z10
    03-10-13 01:01 PM
    So you use your wife more since getting the BlackBerry Z10 huh? That's very thoughtful and I am sure she appreciates the extra attention.

See comment above - the spellchecker got me the same way it caught out another user...
    I'm unmarried (never have been married either - still time for that... if it ever happens...)

It is annoying though as it should learn that I want to write "wifi"...
    03-10-13 01:14 PM
    Lol, 1gb in 4 days, I don't know where it escalated to 4gb in 4 days.
    Oops, quite right, 1 gb in 4 days, still, if that's down to Android apps and not BBM as OP first thought I woulda thought you'd be all over this!
    03-10-13 01:17 PM
    I'm confused...its my understanding that BBM works through a BlackBerry data plan, not as regular texting through the network. It was my understanding that back when a lot more people had BlackBerry's and before unlimited texting plans, one could save on text messaging usage by using BBM, so obviously they are separate. At least thats how it works on Verizon. My BBM messages are not tracked or counted in my messaging usage. That seems shady to me if there are carriers that charge separately for BBM usage.
    03-10-13 01:29 PM

Hillarious!!!!!
    03-10-13 01:29 PM
117 12345