I also call BS - I only ever used that much data in that short a time with about 12 hours of netflix or 4 days of off and on tethering. I can afford to try to run it up since we combined gave 18gb of data on our mobile plans shared and I still have never hit more than 3 GB in a month with a lot of tethering.

BBM can't be compared to a text plan, it's a data feature. It's always been a data feature.

Side note, I really hate the word rape being cheapened by using it about an app store. Really, really hate it.

SENT FROM TAPATALK 2 - Anything I say in no way represents the view of my employer, amd please do not PM me regarding account information or questions. Thanks.
    As I said before this is not trolling, or bs. I posted a pic of the data usage of my one account. I am a very heavy BBM user, with attachments. I upgraded from the 9800. I was always bridged to my PB. I conduct 90% of my business that way. While bridged with my 9800 I never used more that 1GB of data. The same cannot be said for the BBM and tethered z10. I know that BBM always used data, however, the fact that you could use it without worrying about size of attached files ect made it an invaluable to business IMHO. Now I suppose regular text will have to suffice........the point of the thread now would be. Watch for data gremlins.
    03-11-13 07:40 AM
    Optional?
    so I can still use BIS and compression with a Z10?
    The Z10 recognizes a BIS connection, however I am under the impression it is not using it (might be wrong through).
    akavbb likes this.
    03-11-13 07:57 AM
    As I said before this is not trolling, or bs. I posted a pic of the data usage of my one account. I am a very heavy BBM user, with attachments. I upgraded from the 9800. I was always bridged to my PB. I conduct 90% of my business that way. While bridged with my 9800 I never used more that 1GB of data. The same cannot be said for the BBM and tethered z10. I know that BBM always used data, however, the fact that you could use it without worrying about size of attached files ect made it an invaluable to business IMHO. Now I suppose regular text will have to suffice........the point of the thread now would be. Watch for data gremlins.
    What kind of attachments are you talking about?
    03-11-13 07:59 AM
    No downloading on data - I have my data turned off until I get to my selected few hotspots for wifi. But BBM wont work in a hotspot unless data is turned on. Maybe bell has an issue ??
    Ok there a lot of questions you raised. First off, bbm messages still go through BlackBerry servers and thus are compressed. I don't think there is any kind of discernible difference between bbm 10 and older versions in terms of data usage. I am not completely sure on this so if someone has better info, please share.

Next, bbm absolutely does work on wifi only. I just tested it with mobile network off. Maybe there is a specific network issue here for example, a public hotspot might block bbm data ports. I Had issues getting BIS Data in the past at certain hotspots.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 08:04 AM
    Can somebody answer please?
    In my case coming from a torch with BBOS6, I got the z10 before launch (they supposedly launch this month or beggining of April in my country & Carrier.

First day I received a notification on 106mb usage on my z10 (with bis I had about 600mb/month top with 1G fair usage). Called them up and this is what they told me from the BB tech department of my Carrier resuming it:

We are testing the device and are not sure how the set up will work yet. Although you are on BIS, the phone does not compress so the data used the carrier channels for open data (like any other phone). MOST of the things you need data for are using the normal carrier channel and "some" still use BIS channels. That said they commented that BB does get data through the service (going through bb server????) but not identify them as BIS (they did not register my device with BIS on SIM update on the z10).

To resolve this they temporarily gave me the following: 1GB fair use with BIS and 1,5GB on normal no-BIS data plan. They will know more upon launch supposedly.

I know this is not a clear answer and I suspect there is some "info gaps" that make no sense in what I was told but my general understanding is that some services do run through BB server and most do not. (If I had to guess I would say BBM runs through BB servers).

I have let this one to rest until they get to launch and officially tell me how this would work. I believe there is reason to suspect that the possibility is there but I highly doubt any carrier would opt to use BIS when they can charge for a non BIS data plan. BBM I get the impression will be run through "BIS" in some way.

The real point made is that normal data plan subscription is in order for the phone to work well. So I guess this is where it all goes towards.

PS: I am just mentioning what info my carrier gave me. I know much of this may be just "commercial talk" and since I am no tech I could not know. I merely present you with the answer I got, hopping this may be useful. I believe no BIS will be there, at least no BIS in terms of it being a "commercial data plan".
    03-11-13 08:16 AM
    Ok there a lot of questions you raised. First off, bbm messages still go through BlackBerry servers and thus are compressed. I don't think there is any kind of discernible difference between bbm 10 and older versions in terms of data usage. I am not completely sure on this so if someone has better info, please share.

Next, bbm absolutely does work on wifi only. I just tested it with mobile network off. Maybe there is a specific network issue here for example, a public hotspot might block bbm data ports. I Had issues getting BIS Data in the past at certain hotspots.

Posted via CB10
    One has to remember Z10 takes photos and videos in a much higher format so requesting a full quality photo from a Z10 would use 2mb or more instead of 1mb and so on with video.

If the op sends lots of them then yes, bbm will use more data.
    03-11-13 08:17 AM
    What kind of attachments are you talking about?
    You can send files through BBM, so I guess he means images or maybe draft documents.
    03-11-13 08:19 AM
    You can send files through BBM, so I guess he means images or maybe draft documents.
    But that's the thing, photos from a Z10 are much bigger.
    03-11-13 08:31 AM
    But that's the thing, photos from a Z10 are much bigger.
    Yes, but unless I am misunderstanding something, the implication is that all data through BBM was not counted including files - with the z10 this might not be the case any more - all data counts towards the allowance.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 08:39 AM
    Yes, but unless I am misunderstanding something, the implication is that all data through BBM was not counted including files - with the z10 this might not be the case any more - all data counts towards the allowance.

Posted via CB10

Not all carriers operated like that, mine didn't , Vodafone uk
    03-11-13 08:53 AM

Posted via CB10
    Here in Canada BBM has always counted towards your data bucket. But under the old BBOS on BIS, some carriers here offered "Social" plans, which basically were unlimited BBM, Facebook and Twitter, but no regular data (ie. no web browsing).
    reeneebob and wxmancanada like this.
    03-11-13 09:01 AM
    One has to remember Z10 takes photos and videos in a much higher format so requesting a full quality photo from a Z10 would use 2mb or more instead of 1mb and so on with video.

If the op sends lots of them then yes, bbm will use more data.
    Yes but bbm compresses the photos so it doesn't use much data, maybe 35 kb per pic.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 09:06 AM
    Yes but bbm compresses the photos so it doesn't use much data, maybe 35 kb per pic.

Posted via CB10
    And reduces the resolution. It still does by the way.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 09:31 AM

Posted via CB10
    Not if you choose to transfer the full quality picture, then the whole lot gets transferred.
    03-11-13 09:33 AM
    Not if you choose to transfer the full quality picture, then the whole lot gets transferred.
    True but the default is set to low res/compressed pics to save on data and the OP is complaining about data usage.

I don't really get the point of this thread because BBM is pretty much the best and most efficient device-to-device messaging application available. Everybody needs to accept that the beloved (and sometimes hated) BIS system is gone and BlackBerry 10 phones will use way more data than legacy models. The benefit of which is the ability to use any data plans and not just BlackBerry ones, which some carriers did not support.
    03-11-13 10:53 AM
    Well, it's not dead yet and there will be at least another bbos device to come out.
    True, I keep forgetting about that.

SENT FROM TAPATALK 2 - Anything I say in no way represents the view of my employer, amd please do not PM me regarding account information or questions. Thanks.
    03-11-13 01:28 PM
    You can now track your daily, weekly, monthly and unlimited data usage with the Data Usage Counter app

Available at the BlackBerry World

Last edited by tonyblaze; 05-21-13 at 01:48 AM.
    05-08-13 11:58 AM
117 ... 345