These data sucking problems are interesting. I'm on Virgin (under Bell) and I still have much the same data usage I got when I had my Torch. I actually expected to see my data usage jump horrendously after getting a Z10 (knowing what it could do to make you want to use data more) but my data usage over the last month + a week has been only marginally higher than previously.

Looks like the OP found his data issue source. I didn't see how BBM would make data usage jump anywhere near 1gb in 4 days...even if every single one of them were picture messages. I guess it pays to actually research the problem before you jump to outrageously bizarre conclusions.

For the record...no NHL team is worth my time this year. Boycott still on!
    03-10-13 01:46 PM
    For the record...no NHL team is worth my time this year. Boycott still on!
    I'm with you on that one. Have not watched a single game or highlight this year. The NHL has become a joke in my eyes.

Anyways, my data usage is roughly the same. I did see a spike when I first got the z10. But, it's back to normal now.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-13 02:37 PM
    BBM just does not eat any significant data, even if you don't have unlimited BBM.

There is no doubt I am using more data now but I also using a lot of the multimedia which I am aware sucks data. It's too bad BlackBerry had to give up its compression for these phones but such is life. I still love it vs. BB7 and I would never go back.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-13 03:13 PM
    Honestly you probably have your browser set to desktop mode... I use the desktop mode for the most part on most devices and it does dramatically use more data.

also with new device we tend to download a lot of apps and updates which are very large compared to the older BBOS... should try to only download and update them while on wifi.
    03-10-13 03:42 PM
    I'm with Bell, actually we have 6 devices on our personal plan (wife, kids and myself) and I don't see how you can blame bell for your increase in data usage.

I'm sure you are doing more with your Z10 than your other device, when you use the browser, are you using the desktop or mobile version setting?
    Your text and airtime plan should be the exactly the same, not sure I understand what Bell is doing to to you.

You wanna talk about crazy bills, get your 14 year old daughter an iPhone and watch Apple rape you through their app store.

Lil sidenote, that same 14 year old daughter has her iPhone for sale on Kijiji, she wants a Z10 I'm so proud of her, my little girl is growing up.
    Parental Controls and Passwords, because COMMON SENSE. I understand that 14 is actually older than a lot of the kids i see with phones, but if you put your credit card on the phone and give the kid the password this is NOT Apple's fault. Honestly, as much as i dislike apple right now I think that their willingness to refund a lot of the money that kids spend in apps due to parents lack of judgement is something that they do not have to do. One of the very few things they are doing that is good for consumers.
    03-10-13 03:57 PM
    Were you on a BlackBerry previously and did you change your plan when you got the Z10? Reason why I ask is because I recently had to speak to Telus regarding my plan. I had a 6gb plan for my 9900, but when I picked up the Z10 I had to switch over to another. The reason they told me was due to the BIS provisions in the old plan potentially causing data usage to measure as higher when using a non-BIS enabled device. I ended up switching over to the identical PDA version of the plan I had. Dunno how much of this is true, but that's what they told me anyway.

The real complaint of the thread was the fact that BBM has been excluded from Bell text and video messaging plans. I hate that.

That is all.......
    One of the things that attracted people to BBM initially was because it wasn't part of SMS and MMS plans. Carriers use to make people pay through the nose for those until IMs became really popular. Can't really have it both ways...you either rely on your carrier to handle SMS/MMS or a 3rd party server (be it BBM, Whatsapp or whatever else) via your data.
    03-10-13 04:45 PM
    Honestly you probably have your browser set to desktop mode... I use the desktop mode for the most part on most devices and it does dramatically use more data.
    also with new device we tend to download a lot of apps and updates which are very large compared to the older BBOS... should try to only download and update them while on wifi.
    Using the browser in desktop mode WILL eat a lot more data over the course of a month! Mine is always off.

However, some sites are not 'up to speed' with BB10 and will automatically load the desktop version instead of the mobile. One Sci Fi site I go to, io9.com will not let me load their mobile version m.io9.com. This will be corrected I'm sure but the browser ID is too new at this stage for some websites. If it doesn't autoload I always try the default: m.xyz.com and hope for the best. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    03-10-13 05:25 PM
    I found with the Z10 with normal use you can function with about 1 GB per month. This is with very little video and music streaming over the mobile network. But you can read a lot of emails and do a lot of browsing with displaying a lot of text and the normal amount of pictures displayed on web pages. The streaming of video and music will use a lot of data with this phone. You have to bare in mind this phone has a very high resolution display capability that approaches that of a normal size computer monitor. Just because you see it in a small picture does not mean less data is used.

You can get the HDMI adapter for this phone and display it on a large TV set or any HDMI computer monitor in full resolution. In fact is is very amazing for such a small device. But, just remember the Z10 is more powerful than the average desktop computer of maybe six to ten years ago.
    03-10-13 10:24 PM
    Z10 = normal data usage, just like any other smartphone.
    Legacy devices= low data usage
    03-10-13 10:28 PM
    5 pages and no real mention of this... I bring this up as the OP *repetitively* states that their BBM usage is included in their plan.

Unlimited BBM plans (usually part of a texting bundle, etc) only apply to devices running on OS 7.1 device or older. BBM on BlackBerry 10 devices use regular data for BBM and are not eligible for the unlimited provisioning.

If you BBM every second of every day, yes, you will see a significant data increase. Real word though, BBM usage uses ridiculously little data. Providing its text only. Start adding pictures and other media and you'll see an increase, but gigs? You must be as popular as Kevin.

Posted using BlackBerry 10
    03-10-13 10:36 PM
    Z10 = normal data usage, just like any other smartphone.
    Legacy devices= low data usage
    A BlackBerry Bold is not a legacy device.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 03:59 AM
    A BlackBerry Bold is not a legacy device.

Posted via CB10
    Yes it is lol, all bbos devices are.
    03-11-13 04:03 AM
    Connected to WIFI maybe i HIGHLY doubt just using 4G! I call BS on this one. I am a heavy user and don't even hit 2GB on the 4G network!
    I also call BS - I only ever used that much data in that short a time with about 12 hours of netflix or 4 days of off and on tethering. I can afford to try to run it up since we combined gave 18gb of data on our mobile plans shared and I still have never hit more than 3 GB in a month with a lot of tethering.

BBM can't be compared to a text plan, it's a data feature. It's always been a data feature.

Side note, I really hate the word rape being cheapened by using it about an app store. Really, really hate it.

SENT FROM TAPATALK 2 - Anything I say in no way represents the view of my employer, amd please do not PM me regarding account information or questions. Thanks.
    03-11-13 04:17 AM
    Side note, I really hate the word rape being cheapened by using it about an app store. Really, really hate.
    Agree completely!

Posted via CB10
    reeneebob likes this.
    03-11-13 04:32 AM
    Yes it is lol, all bbos devices are.
    In what way? Because it does not conform to some consumerist media consumption. Device desire?

The browser worked well, docs to go was actually better than on the Z10 (new file format document creation).
    You know, I do like the Z10 and i do highly recommend it, but I do hav very good memories of my Bold.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 04:35 AM
    With the fact that BB10 devices don't use BIS for data, having a carrier include "Unlimited BBM" or even charging a fee for it would require carriers to actually monitor data packets. Do you really want your carrier doing this? I don't think so. Not only does it become a privacy issue, but it also opens the door for them to start charging extra depending on what type of data you are using. Carriers would love that but it would be very bad for the consumer.

Everyone is just used to how BlackBerry devices worked in the past; which was different than any other smartphone. Given how people want everything to be faster these days it may also be a good thing that BIS isn't used anymore, since requests dont have to go through your carrier's network then to BlackBerry's before being sent to your phone in a compressed state.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 04:41 AM
    In what way? Because it does not conform to some consumerist media consumption. Device desire?

The browser worked well, docs to go was actually better than on the Z10 (new file format document creation).
    You know, I do like the Z10 and i do highly recommend it, but I do hav very good memories of my Bold.

Posted via CB10
    Lol, legacy is not a bad word, it simply a word unofficially chosen to draw a line between old bbos devices and the new bb10 devices, nothing more nothing less.
    03-11-13 04:41 AM
    I think he means is a legacy device in that the OS is now on life support. It's like webos. It's still supported but it's now, for all intents and purposes, a dead operating system and that makes it a legacy device.

SENT FROM TAPATALK 2 - Anything I say in no way represents the view of my employer, amd please do not PM me regarding account information or questions. Thanks.
    03-11-13 04:42 AM
    I think he means is a legacy device in that the OS is now on life support. It's like webos. It's still supported but it's now, for all intents and purposes, a dead operating system and that makes it a legacy device.

Well, it's not dead yet and there will be at least another bbos device to come out.
    03-11-13 04:53 AM
    Lol, legacy is not a bad word, it simply a word unofficially chosen to draw a line between old bbos devices and the new bb10 devices, nothing more nothing less.
    Talking of a legacy, one generally refers to a positive bit of history (can be bad too though).

Calling something a "legacy device" or "legacy service" has the ring of "dead and good riddance, die at last" to it.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 04:55 AM
    With the fact that BB10 devices don't use BIS for data, having a carrier include "Unlimited BBM" or even charging a fee for it would require carriers to actually monitor data packets. Do you really want your carrier doing this? I don't think so. Not only does it become a privacy issue, but it also opens the door for them to start charging extra depending on what type of data you are using. Carriers would love that but it would be very bad for the consumer.

Everyone is just used to how BlackBerry devices worked in the past; which was different than any other smartphone. Given how people want everything to be faster these days it may also be a good thing that BIS isn't used anymore, since requests dont have to go through your carrier's network then to BlackBerry's before being sent to your phone in a compressed state.

Posted via CB10
    Deep packet inspection... just what the carriers want to get rid of met neutrality and the content producers to fight unlawful copying - and who cares about all the unrelated data that gets analysed... (actually the customer in Europe does, so I do hope it won't come in my life time... I would need a lot of hope for that though...)
    However there is another way one could separate BBM traffic - simply use an obscure port - maybe even throttle data on that port - if it is BBM nobody would notice.

Which makes me think: anybody with the right network setup at home to monitor packets who could check what port BBM uses?
    (on wifi obviously)

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 04:59 AM
    BB have handed over the data aspect to the Service Providers. Whereas previously this data routing via BIS bypassed the local SP's (with subsequent financial loss) as it utilised Canadian based servers affording both security from a prying govt. who now no longer had access to servers on foreign soil & at a much cheaper rate. BB have in my view sold-out by handing the data aspect back to local SP's with the result being as it no longer goes through BB servers it has now become chargeable & once more a source of revenue for the Service Providers. Not only that but it now means that what once was a relatively secure method of communication in countries that heavily monitored IM services is no longer secure - as the SP's within these countries are once again legislated to give full access to any Govt body requesting these records. The SP's are even required to ensure that they have full records going back as much as 10 years readily available. Under these conditions I doubt that the Velvet revolutions witnessed in Egypt & elsewhere would have taken place as they relied heavily on the ability of communication to mobilise that was not controlled by the Govts at the time.
    03-11-13 05:32 AM
    Optional?
    so I can still use BIS and compression with a Z10?
    Can somebody answer please?
    03-11-13 06:44 AM
    Can somebody answer please?
    Thor said we would have a choice... I'm gonna try to keep it when I pick up my z10, but considering it needs a new sim, it might be up to the carrier
    03-11-13 06:55 AM
    BB have handed over the data aspect to the Service Providers. Whereas previously this data routing via BIS bypassed the local SP's (with subsequent financial loss) as it utilised Canadian based servers affording both security from a prying govt. who now no longer had access to servers on foreign soil & at a much cheaper rate. BB have in my view sold-out by handing the data aspect back to local SP's with the result being as it no longer goes through BB servers it has now become chargeable & once more a source of revenue for the Service Providers. Not only that but it now means that what once was a relatively secure method of communication in countries that heavily monitored IM services is no longer secure - as the SP's within these countries are once again legislated to give full access to any Govt body requesting these records. The SP's are even required to ensure that they have full records going back as much as 10 years readily available. Under these conditions I doubt that the Velvet revolutions witnessed in Egypt & elsewhere would have taken place as they relied heavily on the ability of communication to mobilise that was not controlled by the Govts at the time.
    Only to a certain extent, legacy bbos devices are still available to buy if that stuff is really important. And they will be available and supported for a few years yet
    03-11-13 06:56 AM
117 ... 2345