***EDIT: I think I know why people had been misreading my post! By "important apps" in the first sentence, I'm not talking about apps that are important to the well-being of BB10, I'm talking about the concept that apps are important to their users because they make the user more productive in a given sutation REGARDLESS OF PLATFORM. I put this post in this particular forum becaus I've seen many recent posts asking why apps are so important because they're just toys and games, etc. I hope that clears things up!***

I'm really confused why the concept of "important apps" escapes people. A well coded app with functionality that is useful in your everyday life simply becomes an extension of your phone. People, including businesspeople contacting clients, use Skype for international communication. Some people only think of Skype as video chat, but it's a lot more than that. I personally use Skype's chat functionality a lot, even more than voice calls/video chat. One time my brother, after moving away from the area, was really homesick. I got on Skype when a bunch of friends were out at happy hour, and even though the bar was loud I was able to pass my phone around and everyone could chat with my brother using text chat.

As for Netflix, say you're at a restaurant with your young kids Bobby and Sue. Bobby wolfs down his food (growing boy, and all), while Sue is taking her time. Bobby starts to get restless while Sue finishes her dinner...and you know you're seconds away from dealing with a tantrum in the crowded restaurant. With Netflix, you can fire up a kids show, plug in headphones, and little Bobby will be entertained while Sue finishes her food. Crisis averted!

Back when I was in grad school, I was using my Sidekick to take notes, create flashcards, edit PowerPoints and Word documents, etc. Sidekicks were pretty bare bones, and everything else I wanted to do was app driven.

I live in Tornado Alley, and in the spring I rely on an accurate, radar map driven, weather app. First app I downloaded on the Z10? BeWeather Pro. That functionality is definitely worth $5 to me. I also use Tune In Radio for NOAA weather during emergencies. Yes, I have these things at home as well, but I'm not always at home when the weather turns nasty so I rely on smartphone apps to keep me safe.

When I'm not dodging tornadoes in the spring and summer, I spend a lot of time walking/biking on area trails and tracking how far I'm going, where trails pick up, etc. I look forward to this every year, and it's a big part of my life in the warmer months. I can only find this functionality via certain apps.

Everyone touts BlackBerry as the best communication device. Shouldn't this include ALL WAYS that people communicate? Heck, BB10 integrates Facebook and Twitter into the hub because BBRY recongizes these services have become important communication tools. Instagram is catching on rapidly as another social media tool, just like Facebook and Twitter. Facebook and Twitter have had their own naysayers in the past ("I don't want to be poked or invited to play stupid games on facebook!" "I don't want to know when people are taking a dump on twitter!"). Doesn't that sound a lot like today's "I don't want to know what people are eating on instagram?" Do you think, maybe, that this notion is wrong kind of like how facebook isn't just for game playing and twitter isn't just for dump broadcasting?

So yes, I do think apps are important. I think people that dismiss apps only think apps = games or novelty time-passers (read: fart apps). I promise you, this is not the case.

For those that have been on other platforms, or for those that know of certain apps they'd love to have on BB10, EMAIL THOSE COMPANIES!!! It doesn't make much of a difference when we just complain here on the forums. Going DIRECTLY to the companies with our requests shows them that the need for their apps is there, and that their apps on BB10 would be utilized, and in some cases purchased.
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 03-28-13 at 04:57 PM.
    grover5, eldricho, jon4400 and 5 others like this.
    03-28-13 01:53 PM
    I think people just post about not caring about apps because they're really sick of reading about it.

Not to mention also probably really sick of people that seem to think BlackBerry isn't FULLY aware that the lack of some apps is hurting them a bit at the moment.

Posted via CB10
    ErinnM, SDTRMG, tjseaman and 1 others like this.
    03-28-13 01:58 PM
    That is the exact reason I sideloaded Netflix. For my daughter when she is in one of "those" moods. I haven't used it for myself. Don't care to.

I am sure Blackberry is trying their hardest to get the top apps on the phone. I doubt they are ignoring it. It has been 2 months since it was released and more and more come every day.
    shaleem and CDM76 like this.
    03-28-13 02:01 PM
    Here's How We Should Address the App Situation!-img_00000128.png

I'm just going to copy and paste this from now on... 750k in apps for Google play store/apple didn't happen overnight for a new OS but there are still plenty to choose from

http://m.crackberry.com/blackberry-1...ions-customers

http://apps.goodereader.com/playbook...-android-apps/

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    jodirt, SDTRMG and BBZ10wannabe like this.
    03-28-13 02:06 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000128.png 
Views:	1024 
Size:	329.2 KB 
ID:	144752

I'm just going to copy and paste this from now on... 750k in apps for Google play store/apple didn't happen overnight for a new OS but there are still plenty to choose from

BlackBerry 10 Now Offers More Than 100,000 Applications to Customers | CrackBerry.com

Blackberry Playbook and BB10 Android Apps | Android APPS - BB10 Apps & Playbook Apps

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    I'm not quite sure what this has to do with my post? I'm not lamenting the lack of apps, I'm addressing those who think that apps don't matter, or apps = games and fart apps and that you can't do anything important or worthwhile using an app.
    03-28-13 02:18 PM
    I think people just post about not caring about apps because they're really sick of reading about it.

Not to mention also probably really sick of people that seem to think BlackBerry isn't FULLY aware that the lack of some apps is hurting them a bit at the moment.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you, your right on with that. Users need to check that their gadgets can run the apps which they need, instead of buying a phone and then whining endlessly about the absence of the "must have" apps.
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-28-13 02:43 PM
    I'm curious why everyone keeps posting about apps everywhere EXCEPT the Blackberry 10 Apps forum
    ErinnM and anon(5639363) like this.
    03-28-13 02:47 PM
    I'm curious why everyone keeps posting about apps everywhere EXCEPT the Blackberry 10 Apps forum
    My reasoning: Because the people that should hear this message are probably not searching the Blackberry 10 Apps forum because they think that apps don't matter because there's nothing useful or important that can be done with an app.
    03-28-13 03:01 PM
    Or maybe they just don't want to read about apps, there is a reason that section's there
    ErinnM likes this.
    03-28-13 03:03 PM
    So, I get what you're saying, but maybe I'm missing something. TuneIn is on the Z10, so is BeWeather. You talk about navigation for trails for biking and walking, and Nogago Maps looks really good for this.

The only one I see that would be an issue is Netflix, and in the use case you mention, you could probably find stuff on Crackle that would entertain your kids, too.

So, I'm kind of puzzled; it sounds like at least most of the stuff you want is already there
    03-28-13 03:08 PM
    Not saying Netflix would not be beneficial,because it of course would but back before Netflix on phones was a reality there were ways to contain "Little Bobby" without putting a small TV in front of him. Just saying.

With that said I will now go discipline my kids just for ****s and giggles

Sent from  using Tapatalk
    ErinnM likes this.
    03-28-13 03:08 PM
    So, I get what you're saying, but maybe I'm missing something. TuneIn is on the Z10, so is BeWeather. You talk about navigation for trails for biking and walking, and Nogago Maps looks really good for this.

The only one I see that would be an issue is Netflix, and in the use case you mention, you could probably find stuff on Crackle that would entertain your kids, too.

So, I'm kind of puzzled; it sounds like at least most of the stuff you want is already there
    Right, I'm *NOT LAMENTING THE LACK OF APPS* here. I'm giving examples why apps are useful/important to people. Those are the examples I could come up with based on my own usage. This is directed to the people who say that apps aren't important, or they don't understand why apps is a big factor in deciding what smartphone to get, or all apps are either games or fart apps, etc. It's to show that apps are definitely useful/relevant to becoming extensions of the capabilities of one's phone. Does that make sense?
    03-28-13 03:20 PM
    I agree that apps do matter but you posting this doesn't proove or help anything.
    people merely state other options available on blackberry such as the browser to stop the platform from getting slated so early because all the apps aren't there yet........
    If specific apps are so important to you then they are on bb10 already as posted above.....
    03-28-13 03:28 PM
    And... You can sideload NetFlix, although honestly, that appeal baffles me given the offerings... Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have this friend, his name is Torrance, bit of an eccentric, he's a self-described Pirate, lives on a Bay... When I have movies that I've purchased, if I can't figure out how to convert them digitally in a format that I can transfer I always go to Torrance and he helps me out. If I've already purchased the movie or show, I have no problem asking him for help... =)
    R Field likes this.
    03-28-13 03:32 PM
    I don't have Netflix, but I do have an Amazon Prime account and have movies and TV shows, on my PlayBook and Z10. Not only does it work full screen, it displays on a big screen via HDMI.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 03:33 PM
    Do you guys ever have dreams where you're trying to communicate something...but suddenly you've lost your voice and you can't get your message across? That's what I feel like right now, lol. Let me try to clarify.

I'm not saying the apps that I mentioned aren't available on the Z10. I have the ones available for BB10 already downloaded, and I'll be sideloading the others when I get a chance. They were just about how I use apps in my everyday life.

This isn't talking about how certain apps are absolutely needed for BB10.

This is in response to several posts I've seen recently basically asking how apps can be important, giving the impression that apps are just for time wasters, etc. It sounded to me that they don't understand the concept of apps, or that maybe they use apps every day but don't even consider to be apps because they might've been included natively. A lot of those posts I've seen came from this forum. Instead of trying to track down every one of those posts and personally replying to it or sending the poster a PM, I thought I'd make a blanket statement. Sorry if I've offended or gave the impression that I was continuing the "omg there aren't any apps on BB10" b!tchfest because that's not the case. I'm talking about the importance of apps and how they could be useful to the user regardless of platform.
    03-28-13 03:41 PM
    Well I think there ok with the app but im not a big app guy so and they are coming soon
    03-28-13 03:47 PM
    I'm not quite sure what this has to do with my post? I'm not lamenting the lack of apps, I'm addressing those who think that apps don't matter, or apps = games and fart apps and that you can't do anything important or worthwhile using an app.
    So , what should be done? Ignore a better and innovative product/ OS and stick with existing stale products. To me the most important application is browser with Flash support which is really good in BB10. Also, the fact that BB10 is open and uses standard peripherals/ API is very important to me as opposed to IOS closed system. I just loathe the idea of using iTunes to interface with iPhone and computer. At this point, all BB can do is provide good tools and platform to develop apps which, I believe it has already done. Rest all depends on the developer and user adoption and being a user I will do my part. I hope developers will follow.
    03-28-13 03:51 PM
    My reasoning: Because the people that should hear this message are probably not searching the Blackberry 10 Apps forum because they think that apps don't matter because there's nothing useful or important that can be done with an app.
    Just curious, not attacking you, but wondering just who is it that you think should hear this message?

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 03:52 PM
    03-28-13 03:54 PM
    Do you guys ever have dreams where you're trying to communicate something...but suddenly you've lost your voice and you can't get your message across? That's what I feel like right now, lol. Let me try to clarify.
    Ah, yes. I've been there. Well, absolutely, and given the popularity of iOS and Android, the bar has been set, for sure. Not sure what else to contribute, pretty sure that Blackberry gets it, in every single way. I think you'll see the apps trickle in over the coming months. Some developers held off initially to see how BB10 was received by consumers I think. Other developers, particularly the big ones, may have other reasons that speak to arrangements with other platforms. Look at the iOS6 Apple Map fiasco. Google ended up porting (or re-porting) Google Maps for iOS6 because (a) Apple is huge and hard to ignore and (b) they scored a major propaganda/marketing coup after Apple massively screwed up. Still no sign of Google Maps (by Google) for WP8 or Blackberry....

As for anyone who says apps don't matter, it's pretty evident they do matter, for many and varied reasons. Blackberry opened up their app development environment to make it as painless and as easy as possible to developers from what I'm seeing. So I don't hold them responsible, I believe they'd love to have offered Instagram, Skype, etc right from the beginning. And for me, it isn't an issue, but I understand it certainly is for others. Cheers.
    03-28-13 03:57 PM
    Just curious, not attacking you, but wondering just who is it that you think should hear this message?
    Are you asking me to search the forum and give you usernames for every single reference to "fart apps" "apps are just time wasters" "apps are for toys" etc? I can't recall everyone by name, but I remember a few such posts in the returning Z10 after 5 days thread.
    03-28-13 04:01 PM
    OK I got it!! Let's try this:

Pretend that we wake up tomorrow, and we to to check BB World on our Z10s, and BAM!!! We have a MILLION apps available, including every single big name, small name, and every app in between we could think of. We go on a downloading frenzy, and everyone is so excited to try all of these new apps. But then there is one group who continues to say that they don't understand why apps are so important, why we need them, how they're just for making fart sounds or playing games and why would anyone want that? And this is exactly what I'm seeing, only in reality we don't have all those apps yet, but just like in the example I gave, that particular detail really isn't the issue. The issue is trying to explain how apps can be useful to these people who don't understand that particular concept. That's all I'm trying to say.

I apologize for not respondign to everyone who's asking me questions. I'm on an ancient version of IE at work and I'm getting a gray box in the text box 90% of the time when I'm trying to respond!
    03-28-13 04:20 PM
    Apps do matter. People uses and relies on a lot of them. New OS, requires time for apps to come. By summer, I'm pretty sure some of these needs would be addressed.
    03-28-13 04:26 PM
    The app situation is dire... and I do not think poor android ports, whether they are offered in BBW or sideloaded, are the answer. They are a stop gap for sure.. but a poor shortsighted one at best.

I know BB is planning on updating the runtime engine to 4.2... but for goodness sake... it is still on 2.3?! That automatically leave out well functioning apps from android.
    03-28-13 04:29 PM
37 12