you do realize that all apple was able to get working on the original iphone was the phone right? Even that didn't work well.

The only thing they did was popularize touch screens by making capacitive screens work well with phones when most others were still using resistive.

The app store didn't exist. Apple didn't provide any services outside of itunes really as they relied on google for all that.

Blackberry didn't copy anything. They built their ui/ux on top of the qnx neutrino micro-kernel entirely from scratch. There's a difference between a kernel and an os.

They are the only major player to ever attempt to use a micro-kernel os to build a full fledged computing platform.

Qnx neutrino is mostly used in embedded applications where there is no need for a gui. Where there is a graphic user interface at all, it is usually limited to just a few functions. Essentially, an app. Blackberry 10 is the first time an entire system has been built to run on top of neutrino.

Rim (at the time) completed the acquisition of qnx in 04/2010. Just over three years ago. If we were talking about anyone else besides blackberry, we would not have a product on the market today. Android and ios each spent around 5 years in development before the first consumer products were released and both launched a hell of a lot less complete then bb 10.
    +1,000,000

~stv
    blackburberry likes this.
    05-26-13 03:08 PM
    Think about it. Giants like Apple, Google and Microsoft could not match what BlackBerry did with BB10. iOS (at the time iPhone OS) launched literally as an app drawer with no MMS, no copy and paste, no 3G, no custom ring tones, practically nothing. Windows Phone - same story - bare bones and now 3 years later, still waiting on it to be as feature complete as BB10 is. Android was a mess. Slow, buggy, inconsistent UI, rushed to market to compete with iOS.
    What? You know nothing about Apple then.

1. Engineers worked on transitioning OSX to Intel (real chips) in less than 7 months for almost all of their products. Completed in 9 months and their target was 12 months! (yes OSX was meant to be processor agnostic since it began creation but with no actual hardware to make it really work it was just running on a VM in their back labs until the partnership with Intel was solidified).

2. iOS began to run apps after an overhaul in less than 2 years.

^ those are facts that match what BB did with BB10 in the same time frame. Only the core kernel in iOS is 90% the same of OSX but its not using any of the same GUI.
    05-26-13 03:12 PM
    Give it time, more apps will come over time. BlackBerry had 50,000 apps at launch. That's more then anyone on a new OS has ever had at launch. One thing I don't get is why all the fuss about banking apps? Just use the browser to go to the banks site and bookmark it or put a shortcut icon on your phone. It's the same thing. I did that with Scotiabank before their app was released and the app is the exact same thing as going to their site on the browser. What's the big deal? Also the trolls here make it sound like BlackBerry hasn't done a damn thing in the app department. Like they just make the OS, built the phones and that's it. They put a lot of time, money and effort into getting devs to make apps. Gee they flew around the whole world going to so many cities even in small countries to show devs what bb10 is all about and getting them to make apps for bb10 and this is just the beginning. Bb10 hasn't even been on the market for 6 months yet. Give it time. I think they are doing just fine and are only gonna get better. I think they are listening to people like us and giving the people what they want in updates they have already released and that's just the start. They will add more things that people want and make the OS better but again, that takes time.

BlackBerry Z10 and 32gb PlayBook
    05-26-13 03:15 PM
    This thread should be closed now. Another Goodbye BlackBerry/We are all blind fanboys/ too little too late thread. And what's worse is that OP going around calling everyone trolls too. Then why post this? You knew what you were doing. Don't lie OP. Kill this thread MODS. I was given an infraction for making a joke last week and it pisses me off to see these threads get away with this stupid BS.
    If you read it, this is none of the above. I am simply expressing am optimistic and hopeful outlook for the future of BlackBerry. I want to see them succeed, grow, and regain a respectable position in the marketplace. And to do that, the concerns I expressed (along with others) must be addressed to give the average consumer reason to use these devices. Everyone keeps talking about leaks, and workarounds, and sideloads, but you have to remember that's not what blackberry was about when they dominated the market. They used to be the "it just works" phone before Apple ever thought of that mantra. Like I said, I think the BB10 os is simply not ready for prime time. It is still immature and I am hopeful that future devices and updates to will do it justice. The concept is there, but the reliable, convenient, accessible usability is far off.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using CB Forums mobile app
    05-26-13 03:48 PM
    Give it time, more apps will come over time. BlackBerry had 50,000 apps at launch. That's more then anyone on a new OS has ever had at launch. One thing I don't get is why all the fuss about banking apps? Just use the browser to go to the banks site and bookmark it or put a shortcut icon on your phone. It's the same thing. I did that with Scotiabank before their app was released and the app is the exact same thing as going to their site on the browser. What's the big deal? Also the trolls here make it sound like BlackBerry hasn't done a damn thing in the app department. Like they just make the OS, built the phones and that's it. They put a lot of time, money and effort into getting devs to make apps. Gee they flew around the whole world going to so many cities even in small countries to show devs what bb10 is all about and getting them to make apps for bb10 and this is just the beginning. Bb10 hasn't even been on the market for 6 months yet. Give it time. I think they are doing just fine and are only gonna get better. I think they are listening to people like us and giving the people what they want in updates they have already released and that's just the start. They will add more things that people want and make the OS better but again, that takes time.

BlackBerry Z10 and 32gb PlayBook
    Depends on the bank.
    My bank, and a lot of UK banks, requires a key fob to generate a secure code when logging into the mobile or desktop site.
    With the app, not yet on bb10, this isn't needed, as the app can read balances only, not make transactions.
    Same with a few other banks.

And yes, BlackBerry spent a lot of time courting small app devs.
    Some people think that's great. Some people think that's why there's so many small pointless apps in the market, because those are the devs that were aggressively courted, for quantity over quality.

Personally what really blows my mind is, when they need to be delivering apps and choice, the fact that they have chosen to block certain apps, like torrent remote apps, which aren't even illegal, tells me the app relations team has lost the plot.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 05:17 PM
    With those words of wisdom the discussion comes to an end, before insult trading takes over completely from rational debate.
    05-26-13 05:19 PM
106 ... 345