Help possible upgrade from 9810 to Z10

Hi everybody - possible upgrade from 9810 to Z10... Have a bunch of specific questions... Thanks in advance for any help...

1. I love how 9810 manages photos and media... Instant search and display of name and date... Etc... How does the Z10 compare...?

2 Saved Emails... Supposedly my saved emails won't survive the upgrade... How does Z10 save emails...?

3. Emergency Alerts - does AT&T support them on Z10...?

4. Protect - please confirm it can still locate device via GPS...?

5. LastPass - AFAIK there is no native app, so, has anybody successfully used the android version on BB10...?

And, finally, any comments good or bad from Torch 9810 users who upgraded to Z10 would help Me out a lot...
    01-05-14 10:25 AM
    Help possible upgrade from 9810 to Z10

Hi everybody - possible upgrade from 9810 to Z10... Have a bunch of specific questions... Thanks in advance for any help...

1. I love how 9810 manages photos and media... Instant search and display of name and date... Etc... How does the Z10 compare...?

2 Saved Emails... Supposedly my saved emails won't survive the upgrade... How does Z10 save emails...?

3. Emergency Alerts - does AT&T support them on Z10...?

4. Protect - please confirm it can still locate device via GPS...?

5. LastPass - AFAIK there is no native app, so, has anybody successfully used the android version on BB10...?

And, finally, any comments good or bad from Torch 9810 users who upgraded to Z10 would help Me out a lot...
    1, There are some features that are missing from BBOS. That said, I find picture management to be extremely easy to manage on the Z10, It's different, and there is a learning curve.
    2. The Z10 uses EAS. In later OSs there is an option to sync to forever. If they're on the server they will come to the Z10.
    3. Yes, visible in the Hub
    4. I'd have to check on this but I believe so
    5. Last Pass - I defer to someone who is using it.
    9700_User likes this.
    01-05-14 10:34 AM
    4. Yes Protect can use all location based services, including GPS and GLONAS.

Posted via CB10
    9700_User likes this.
    01-05-14 11:57 AM
    I just ordered the Z10 - but I only did it to try it out... Its not in the stores any more, so, this is the only way to test it... I already feel the Z10 will *not* be the phone for Me because of all the missing features I'm used to with the 9810... I'm hoping to find an out-of-the-box solution to Saved Emails... Probably won't work so I will just return the Z10 within the 2 week allowance and return to the 9810... I hope my fears about the Z10 are wrong though... :|
    01-05-14 05:54 PM
    ...also make sure that you have BlackBerry Link installed, and when you first plug in your Z10 it will ask to hook up your 9810 first and Link will migrate all sorts of information from the 9810 to the Z10...I forget what all gets pulled over as I haven't done it since I migrated my 9860 to my Z10 back on February 5th...and that was the original Link..it has improved a lot and added features since then...If you want to save your emails (I don't remember how I did it)...open them up, and send them to an alternate address...and once the Z is set up...send them back to yourself and save them to the Z...it can be time consuming dependant on how many emails...but it achieves the same result...also do a full back up on your 9810 on BlackBerry Desktop Manager before migrating. The Z10 will obviously have a bit of a learning curve to get used to the new way of doing things, but most of the functionality is there...it's just done differently...

Posted with my awesome Z10...or maybe even my Q10...50/50 chance...
    9700_User likes this.
    01-05-14 06:09 PM
    I came over from a 9810 and am very happy with the z10.

Like it's been said, there are features that didn't make it over, but overall I have not even considered going back. I still have my 9810 because I-much like you, wanted to be sure too.

1- Photo management is neater in BB10(10.2.). The fact that there's a built in editor makes up for the other changes that were done.

2- Instant search is great, you can't see the dates and stuff there but the results are there.

3- Sorry can't say about AT&T, but my Verizon z10 does. I had to leave AT&T because there's an area I drive to/from work that I lose signal each time.

4- yes, Protect can still locate the phone and restore (1 time) from it).

5- I don't use last pass but I downloaded it and at least on the 10.2.1.1259, it runs and seems to work ok.

Hope that helps. See attached.

Help possible upgrade from 9810 to Z10-img_20140105_231348.png

Help possible upgrade from 9810 to Z10-img_20140105_232018.png

Help possible upgrade from 9810 to Z10-img_20140105_232611.png

Posted via CB10
    extisis, curvezzz and 9700_User like this.
    01-05-14 10:27 PM
    From 9810 to z10 here.
    You're insane if you go back to the 9810. The power of bb10 vs older BlackBerrys is unbelievable. I went from a 200mb plan which I could barely max to now a 6gb plan because this phone can do so much I can't let it down.

Posted via CB10
    9700_User likes this.
    01-06-14 12:05 AM
    From 9810 to z10 here.
    You're insane if you go back to the 9810. The power of bb10 vs older BlackBerrys is unbelievable. I went from a 200mb plan which I could barely max to now a 6gb plan because this phone can do so much I can't let it down.

Posted via CB10
    Ditto I'd never be able to go back to my 9810

? AT&T Z10 STL100-3/10.2.0.1791 ?
    9700_User likes this.
    01-06-14 01:47 AM
    Well, guys, I don't know if "insane" is correct. Different people choose devices for personal reasons which may differ from ours.

Best of luck, OP. Please give the device time, there is some getting used to. That said, I can only manage a few days with my BB7 devices, one of which is a 9810, before really wanting my BB10 device back.

Posted from my awesome Q10 via CB10.
    9700_User likes this.
    01-06-14 04:13 AM
    Thank you so much everybody for your advice and screenshots - big help...

My BlackBerry Torch 9810 has my ENTIRE LIFE on it... Everything... Taxes, important documents, my song writings, lifetime photos, Passwords, important Saved emails, and my Daughter's first text messages to Me... It is critical to Me that these items migrate to the Z10...

I'm reading as much as I can about BB10, but, am very concerned about possible 30 day email limits and mass email deletions that I've read about...

I should receive the Z10 on Wednesday and I will give a detailed "first day impression" review when I get it... Thanks again for all the great help and don't hesitate to write some more... I read all your comments...
    01-06-14 04:41 AM
    As another former 9810 owner I can unequivocally recommend the Z10. There are differences, in where things are and how things work, but give it some time and you will be amazed by the capabilities of the Z10.

For me, one of the first adjustments was in phone weight and how to hold the phone for speedy typing. The Z10 feels very different, but the typing experience is amazing once you get settled in.

I do highly recommend updating the OS to one of the 10.2.1.xxxx leaks that are available. I am on AT&T and am using 10.2.1.1925 with no issues. These newer leaks really provide options and capabilities that older OS's, including the current AT&T OS, don't.

With Link, there was no problem migrating stuff from my 9810. I would also recommend that you download the app "Firechest". It is a great way to backup and restore your phone. It is also free, which is really nice.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    9700_User likes this.
    01-06-14 08:24 AM
    I received the BlackBerry Z10 Wednesday and tested it to see if it would meet my needs as a replacement for my BlackBerry Torch 9810...

Quick to-the-point verdict: No, I will not be keeping the BlackBerry Z10 as the successor to my BlackBerry Torch 9810...

Long answer:

I had read many things for months before trying the Z10... I was hoping some of the negative reviews were wrong... I was hoping that I could find clever workarounds for the missing BB 7 features I read about...

Everyone has their own opinions and needs in a smartphone... And I understand that is why people have different views on the matter... All I can say is that my personal needs were not met after testing the Z10 all last night...

Here are my random thoughts as I wrote them down during testing...

* The Z10 is a good feeling and good looking device...

* The back cover is a bit difficult to remove and feels too bendy/flimsy...

* The non-slip back cover is cool...

* Bigger screen looks nice...

* BlackBerry Link is abysmal... SLOW... BlackBerry Desktop Software for BB 7 is light years better... Deal breaker...

* Z10 still took at least 90 seconds or more to boot...

* Setup with Link - excruciatingly slow and totally, unacceptably INCOMPLETE... Saved Emails and Messages looked like they were being transferred but in fact were not... EVERYTHING ON PREVIOUS BLACKBERRY SHOULD BE TRANSFERRED - NO EXCUSES... MEGA Deal breaker...

* Photo Gallery not as good as BB 7... No dates, names, or PROPERTIES (?!)... Nope... Built in editor not enough to sway or impress Me... Deal breaker...

* LastPass - I actually was surprised to find it in BlackBerry World as of December 2013... I don't understand how, but, my guess is it's an Android App... It did work as far as I could quickly tell though...

* Size = too big for my 1 handed operation... The 9810 is actually a better 1 handed device in my opinion because you can reach the trackpad and keyboard... Not so with the large Z10 screen... Deal breaker...

* Twitter = important to Me as I'm a hardcore user... Stock version totally locked up on startup... Had to upgrade... Upgrade worked... Worked fine... Search was good because it seems to default to all tweets search results... Again, much SLOWER than BB 7 Twitter to load up... I prefer the one-by-one-scrolling of BB 7 Twitter...

* Calendar - nowhere near as good as BB 7... Recurrences were terrible... Agenda is terrible... Deal breaker... Hate the scrolling wheel input, but, I think only a physical keyboard helps that... However, I have multiple hourly reminders that BB 10 did alert Me too correctly from my transferred 9810)..

* Already feeling like BB 10 is a dumbed down version of a combination of IOS and Android... Gross... Barely feels like true BlackBerry...

* Phone quality sounded pretty good actually, but, the lame calling screen lacked information/options... BB 7 seems better again...

* Browser was pretty good actually...

* HUB = it was different... Not hard to use, but, felt gimmicky and annoying by going back to previously opened items, etc... Not overly impressed... On my 9810, all I do is press "m" (or "end key", "m" if in another app) and I'm at my 9810's "hub"... 2 inputs... The swipe gesture alone is like 2 inputs then you have to gesture the messages, etc... Lukewarm about it at best...

So, it was at this point that I stopped testing because I knew I could not use the Z10 as my primary device...

Some will say that I didn't test it enough, but, there were too many deal breakers already... Total departure from the productive, useful, *functional* way I work with email, messaging, etc...

Very disappointed in a sad, lose-a-friend kinda way...

I just pray that AT&T and BlackBerry will continue to support BB 7 Legacy Devices because as of right now I have no successor to the BlackBerry Torch 9810 due to it's superior functionality...

As always, no offense intended towards my Z10 / BB 10 friends... Just my opinions - your mileage may vary...
    01-09-14 02:06 AM
    i don't have a problem with your findings really because you value your 9810 much more (I still have mine as a backup). however there are some things you should elaborate than just saying something is terrible. i also disagree with a few things - but i'm opening debate. Let me expand.

The back cover is a bit difficult to remove and feels too bendy/flimsy...
    i have a little trick where i put my fingernail in between the cover and phone and slide it across like you would a credit card a door, knock a few pegs off and then peel it off from there.

BlackBerry Link is abysmal... SLOW... BlackBerry Desktop Software for BB 7 is light years better... Deal breaker... Saved Emails and Messages looked like they were being transferred but in fact were not... EVERYTHING ON PREVIOUS BLACKBERRY SHOULD BE TRANSFERRED - NO EXCUSES... MEGA Deal breaker...
    I would say it's very comparable... I remember having problems with BB Desktop even up until it's final releases primarily with backups. Link for backing up is a jiff, even more so now with the latest update it's smoother than it's ever been. I do feel it's slow to copy or transfer files around but I would just use Windows explorer for that. As for the messages not being in the backup- your text messages will transfter but not e-mail, that will only sync but not through Link. I believe Link may not do all the things that BB Desktop did but I think it does certain things better, quicker. OH, and the fact that you can backup your apps in Link is something that was missing from BB Desktop. Of course, there's always alternatives. When I had the 9810 I used BBSAK to backup my apps, but it wasn't the same. I would install them but the 9810 saw them as third party installed apps and wouldn't update them or tell me when there updates for them. Anyway, I'm wondering if you used the latest Link because I saw a major difference with the current version compared to the previous.

Calendar - nowhere near as good as BB 7... Recurrences were terrible... Agenda is terrible... Deal breaker...
    whoa. how are recurrences terrible? you can customize them just like BBOS and i believe it has more preset recurrences. and what's so bad about agenda? i love the design of the calendar, it does more than the BBOS version and it's prettier (dark theme ftw).

HUB = it was different... Not hard to use, but, felt gimmicky and annoying by going back to previously opened items, etc... Not overly impressed... On my 9810, all I do is press "m" (or "end key", "m" if in another app) and I'm at my 9810's "hub"... 2 inputs... The swipe gesture alone is like 2 inputs then you have to gesture the messages, etc... Lukewarm about it at best...
    i can knock down that number to just one single gesture, depending on where you're at on the screen. if at a normal screen where you can see the dots under the apps, just flick towards the left across the tiny envelope to go to the hub. you don't really have to swipe up then across every single time to get to it, those gestures were mainly presented so you can "peak" and "flow" better with the OS. So even if you're in an app, you can swipe up and just slightly across to view that text that just came in or that e-mail just to have a preview and if it's not urgent just let go. and i don't usually do the two swipes, i usually go from the bottom towards the right center in a diagonal motion or you can just flip the entire page to the left to get to the hub (if you're at you're first page of apps). anyway, just saying- it's just as easy and maybe even faster than the 9810. I remember hitting the messages on my 9810 and that slight lag would get me every now and then it was so annoying.

All in all, I know you won't be keeping your Z10 but I just don't think it's as bad as you think it is. Mainly, the fact that the Z10 does not bog down, does not lag (can't promise that on a leak) like the 9810 did in flying colors. Oh and you said 90 seconds to boot the Z10 like it was a bad thing.. my 9810 would take upwards to FIVE minutes to boot sometimes and sometimes not even boot at all because it would get stuck towards 70% and I've have to reboot again so that it would reboot all the way. I loved my 9810 but I could not rely on it every single time I needed it because it loved spinning its clock and freezing up for moments at a time. But like you said, you're looking for functionality but I wouldn't accept the 9810's faults for impeding that because of hardware limitations.
    Last edited by extisis; 01-09-14 at 09:43 PM.
    01-09-14 08:57 PM
    I did the 9810 to Z10 upgrade. No comparison. There is nothing about the 9810 that I miss

CB10'n it via da Z
    extisis and curvezzz like this.
    01-09-14 09:35 PM
    I received the BlackBerry Z10 Wednesday and tested it to see if it would meet my needs as a replacement for my BlackBerry Torch 9810...

Quick to-the-point verdict: No, I will not be keeping the BlackBerry Z10 as the successor to my BlackBerry Torch 9810...

Long answer:

I had read many things for months before trying the Z10... I was hoping some of the negative reviews were wrong... I was hoping that I could find clever workarounds for the missing BB 7 features I read about...

Everyone has their own opinions and needs in a smartphone... And I understand that is why people have different views on the matter... All I can say is that my personal needs were not met after testing the Z10 all last night...

Here are my random thoughts as I wrote them down during testing...

* The Z10 is a good feeling and good looking device...

* The back cover is a bit difficult to remove and feels too bendy/flimsy...

* The non-slip back cover is cool...

* Bigger screen looks nice...

* BlackBerry Link is abysmal... SLOW... BlackBerry Desktop Software for BB 7 is light years better... Deal breaker...

* Z10 still took at least 90 seconds or more to boot...

* Setup with Link - excruciatingly slow and totally, unacceptably INCOMPLETE... Saved Emails and Messages looked like they were being transferred but in fact were not... EVERYTHING ON PREVIOUS BLACKBERRY SHOULD BE TRANSFERRED - NO EXCUSES... MEGA Deal breaker...

* Photo Gallery not as good as BB 7... No dates, names, or PROPERTIES (?!)... Nope... Built in editor not enough to sway or impress Me... Deal breaker...

* LastPass - I actually was surprised to find it in BlackBerry World as of December 2013... I don't understand how, but, my guess is it's an Android App... It did work as far as I could quickly tell though...

* Size = too big for my 1 handed operation... The 9810 is actually a better 1 handed device in my opinion because you can reach the trackpad and keyboard... Not so with the large Z10 screen... Deal breaker...

* Twitter = important to Me as I'm a hardcore user... Stock version totally locked up on startup... Had to upgrade... Upgrade worked... Worked fine... Search was good because it seems to default to all tweets search results... Again, much SLOWER than BB 7 Twitter to load up... I prefer the one-by-one-scrolling of BB 7 Twitter...

* Calendar - nowhere near as good as BB 7... Recurrences were terrible... Agenda is terrible... Deal breaker... Hate the scrolling wheel input, but, I think only a physical keyboard helps that... However, I have multiple hourly reminders that BB 10 did alert Me too correctly from my transferred 9810)..

* Already feeling like BB 10 is a dumbed down version of a combination of IOS and Android... Gross... Barely feels like true BlackBerry...

* Phone quality sounded pretty good actually, but, the lame calling screen lacked information/options... BB 7 seems better again...

* Browser was pretty good actually...

* HUB = it was different... Not hard to use, but, felt gimmicky and annoying by going back to previously opened items, etc... Not overly impressed... On my 9810, all I do is press "m" (or "end key", "m" if in another app) and I'm at my 9810's "hub"... 2 inputs... The swipe gesture alone is like 2 inputs then you have to gesture the messages, etc... Lukewarm about it at best...

So, it was at this point that I stopped testing because I knew I could not use the Z10 as my primary device...

Some will say that I didn't test it enough, but, there were too many deal breakers already... Total departure from the productive, useful, *functional* way I work with email, messaging, etc...

Very disappointed in a sad, lose-a-friend kinda way...

I just pray that AT&T and BlackBerry will continue to support BB 7 Legacy Devices because as of right now I have no successor to the BlackBerry Torch 9810 due to it's superior functionality...

As always, no offense intended towards my Z10 / BB 10 friends... Just my opinions - your mileage may vary...
    There actually are properties for photos. It's in the overflow menu (the three dots to the left). I know you have your preference already but I think you will do yourself a disservice if you don't give yourself a chance to get used to the Z10 before you send it back. I can't imagine you've figured it all out after one day and you may find solutions to all your problems with more practice.

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    01-09-14 09:45 PM
    I did the 9810 to Z10 upgrade. No comparison. There is nothing about the 9810 that I miss

CB10'n it via da Z
    Wait you don't miss the battery pulls and the spinning hour glass?? Lol

extisis and ibpluto like this.
    01-10-14 01:16 AM
    I respect everybody's opinions, but, each person has their own point of view... Everybody works differently...

I will say that the Z10 I temporarily had was using 10.1 or something (I don't remember), so, I could not try the latest OS... Not sure I could have returned it if I installed a new OS...

Regarding Agenda - on my 9810, I just hit "a" and "spacebar" to advance each day... I love it... "m" for month... "d" for day...etc...

Recurring - on 9810, I could pick which days and stuff... Didn't see that ability on Z10 (or it's buried somewhere)

"Spinning clock" - if you monitor you available memory regularly, that is rare for Me... Actually, I keep it open at all times and with the press of an "o" I instantly see available memory at any time... Once I see it get down to 130 or so I battery pull restart...

Should mention I also quickly tried voice commands and did not feel it was not that much better than the competition... While I know 9810 does not have many voice options (except maybe the slow Vlingo) it wasn't enough to sway Me...

I guess for Me the problem is BB 10... That's why I probably won't try the Q10 even though it has the awesome keyboard shortcuts...

I look forward to seeing if Chen can turn BlackBerry around - I hope so...
    01-10-14 04:57 AM
    Just wanted to mention that Battery Pull restarts on the 9810 don't have to be long... I just pulled at 130 MB and it took 2 minutes 20 seconds... The Z10 took at least 1 minute 30 seconds on my tests...

Also, for anybody with older BlackBerry - there is an awesome App in BlackBerry World called Application Resource Monitor (by BlackBerry itself) that helps with spinning clocks and memory - get it !
    01-10-14 05:17 AM
    Just wanted to mention that Battery Pull restarts on the 9810 don't have to be long... I just pulled at 130 MB and it took 2 minutes 20 seconds... The Z10 took at least 1 minute 30 seconds on my tests...

Also, for anybody with older BlackBerry - there is an awesome App in BlackBerry World called Application Resource Monitor (by BlackBerry itself) that helps with spinning clocks and memory - get it !
    Just curious, how often do you have to pull the battery?

01-10-14 07:27 AM
    I battery pull at least once a day for preventative reasons...

But, if you relied on BlackBerry Application Resource Monitor you MIGHT be able to do away with battery pulls all together... When I started using it, I think I made it a week before a restart...

I forgot to mention, BlackBerry Application Resource Monitor is only available on BB OS 7.1 (maybe 7.0 also don't remember)

But, the memory recovery function actually takes longer than a battery pull, so, I just battery pull... I most rely on ARM to monitor battery sucking and memory sucking processes if they occur...
    01-10-14 07:43 AM
    I had arm on my 9810 on 7.1 but was up to 4-5 pulls a day. Even now when I charge up my 9810 Mem dwindles with non use. Battery pulls are a deal breaker for me. You missed out being only on 10.1. I'm missing out not being on a leak but 10.2 I pretty nice. This os is it's infancy and apparently not for everyone bbos user.

01-10-14 07:55 AM
    5 a day...?!? Wow... I wonder why...?
    01-10-14 08:05 AM
    Coming from the 9810 to the Z was like night and day. I have to admit that there is a tactile learning curve as well as a system learning curve. There is also a big difference between 10.1 as compared to 10.2. The latter opens up so many options, and then the difference between 10.2.0 to 10.2.1 is a light years jump.

I have to admit, that even though I was really excited about BB10 it did take me a week to begin to feel comfortable with my Z. But now, I would never willingly go back to my 9810 even though I was running the latest leak and had the phone set up just right. BlackBerry 10 is so much smoother. The predictive keyboard is amazing. I was a fast and fairly accurate typer on the 9810, but I can really fly with accuracy on my Z10.

I love the browser...it blows away legacy devices. I love the freedom to load android apps directly. For me, this Z10 just rocks the tar out of the 9810 or any legacy device.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    Last edited by newcollector; 01-10-14 at 12:58 PM.
    extisis likes this.
    01-10-14 10:04 AM
    5 a day...?!? Wow... I wonder why...?
    she's not the only one. that was the least of my probs with the 9810. i'd say you're very lucky to have a 9810 that boots that quickly, I've never seen it. i do have to get on your other points though, first with your 10.1 experience... holy crap... you totally missed out on all the things we're enjoying over here in BB10. You could have installed an official 10.2 then reverted back to 10.1 if you really wanted to return it after that but you really did yourself a disservice but not at least trying 10.2- there was the basis of your "deal breakers". regarding the agenda.. you're comparing the 9810's buttons to the Z10 screen? there isn't much of a comparison there you should have gone with the Q10 if you wanted to use shortcuts. The recurrences are right there in plain sight... but that might have been implemented in later OS releases, in 10.1 it may be buried, i don't remember. Spinning clock... the fact that you have to mention it with the 9810 already puts it at a disadvantage. You say you only need to pull the battery once a day. You never have to with the Z10 and if you do, it's not because of memory problems. Application Resource Monitor hardly ever helped me with my memory probs with the 9810, even on 7.1 when they updated it- i never noticed a difference when it was supposedly working. the 9810's memory was just that bad. Voice commands on Z10 aren't impressive, they weren't either on the 9810 with Vlingo, but SayIt has improved a lot since it's inception and people are clamoring that it should be the default voice command app for BB10. Anyway, if you should have tried anything in the BB10 lineup it should have been a Q10 with 10.2 loaded. You took just a quick peek at BB10 while it was still on 10.1 and that saddens me hopefully you'll consider the Q10 in the future.
    curvezzz likes this.
    01-10-14 12:48 PM
    Maybe if AT&T drops the price of the Q10 and it comes pre-installed with 10.2 or higher then I'll try it...

But untl there is a solution to the the Saved Messages problem, I can't upgrade...
    01-10-14 01:39 PM
42 12