tl:dr I suggest that you buy it and try it.

Dim-Ize, it sounds like you have done your research. I get what you are asking in your post, but I don't think that other posters can help you with this. In the time that I have spent watching people use various phones with physical and virtual keyboards, landscape and portrait, and type one-handed or two-handed, this comes down to individual preferences and motor skills.

Some of the people on this forum took to the Z10 instantly after using mostly physical keyboards in the past, while others took a few days, while still others took a couple of weeks. It is going to vary from person to person. Some people like predictive text while it drives me batty. Some people need some sort of feedback whether it's from physical buttons or just the clicking sound on virtual keyboards. Others have no need for this feedback.

Differences in how a person learned to type could play into this, as well. A person who learned to type on manual typewriters has a different set of motor skills than someone who learned to type on a computer keyboard. Did you learn to type by formal instruction or did you learn to type by getting faster and faster at hunting-and-pecking?

There are many factors that determine whether or not you will enjoy using a virtual keyboard. I don't doubt your ability to do so, but you may not find the task enjoyable. On the other hand, you could get a Z10 and wonder why you waited so long to take the plunge.
    Wow. Great advice. And, yes - I learned to type with formal instruction. Looking back, that has been an invaluable lesson...thanks, Mr. Wyatt.
    05-06-13 11:51 PM
    OP you definitely should stick around the physical keyboard. The Q is calling your name.

Post via CB Z10
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    05-07-13 12:29 AM
    From my experience, the Z10 has an amazing keyboard and most of the time I am just pressing the space bar to complete longer words.
    Having had many different touch screen phones, I have to say that the speed and accuracy in German as well as English is second to none.

If you give it a good try, you won't be disappointed, however would recommend the Q10 for you. As far as I know it has no auto correct but still provides the precipice swipe.

You do not need to be accurate and the less you focus on hitting the correct letters, the faster you are. All that matters is the first letter. When you type the first letter wrong, it is next to impossible that you get a correct prediction.

On top of that the screen truly learns how accurately you are pressing the letters and adjusts to your thumbs.
    Using somebody else's Z10 is then providing you with a scewed representation of said accuracy. I am slower on the demo units than on my own.

Having used the 9900, I must say that it is a completely different experience and you will need to get used to the swiping, auto correct and word completion.

It still has adjustable shortcuts which help me a lot in my daily job, as mist of the sentences I include in emails are fixed..... Just like you are used to them.

The biggest Benefit of a physical keyboard is that you don't need to look at the keyboard while typing as you are getting the muscle memory.

It just took me a few days of typing on the Z10 to become possibly faster on it than on the Bold.

Reason being is the amazingly accurate auto correct and word completion.
    After roughly two weeks of typing you can also swipe most of you standard responses which allows you to increase the speed even more.

Posted via CB10
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    05-07-13 12:54 AM
    I use licking all the time and it is truly amazing! I came from the Iphone 4S and it really frustrates me with its autocorrect. Now with the Z10, I can type long emails just like I do using a desktop computer and the predictive words are very accurate. I demo the keyboard to many non-blackberry users and they are amazed!
    05-07-13 01:17 AM
    What are you doing? We are waiting for you.

^^
    Took me 14 touches to the screen to make the above msg to a co-worker.

In theory, with a physical keyboard, it would take you about 43 key presses.

After a while, you just get used to the flicking. Plus your thumbs will thank you

But you seem to like physical keyboards, virtual keyboards aren't for everybody, aren't you glad BlackBerry has 2 versions

Posted via CB10
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    05-07-13 01:23 AM
    I also want the Q10 because of the instant actions. Being able to type. "Email Bob" and you open up the email app or type. " tweet hello" and it posts to twitter.
    Those little things are the productivity things you can't get in the z10
    Hey, I think productivity is a great goal, but the difference of time it takes you to type "email bob" vs. tapping on universal search and typing "email bob" isn't as significant of lost productivity as you might think it is

Posted via CB10
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    05-07-13 01:30 AM
    It helps with flick typing to think of using the flick on the second letter of the word you are typing and sometimes even the third.
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    05-07-13 01:34 AM
    Attachment 158992

Brick phone to Motorola flip to 8100 to 8120 to 9700 to 9900 to zed10...

Posted via CB10
    Did you do that with one thumb???? If so that's amazing

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 06:25 AM
    I replaced my trusty old 9900 with the Z10 as a temporary measure until the Q10 became available. At least that was the idea at the time.

I've enabled prediction, and find that I can hammer away more quickly than I could with the 9900. Ice tried the Q10 as well. (We have one at the office that the partner is looking at, possibly to replace some aging devices.) after 2 days of use, I find that I now prefer the Z over the Q!
    05-07-13 08:33 AM
    I've had the Z10 since it's US launch and I still don't approach the proficiency I had with the 9900. I'm improving but still prone to miss-swipes. Partly from clumsiness and partly because, depending on my level of eyestrain, the predictive choices are too hard to see.

Posted via CB10
    I won't say I'm the exact opposite, but I do find myself typing faster on my Z10 than I ever did on the 9900. Even with the physical keyboard that I swore by for so many years, I still had typos. The difference was that they took much longer to correct on the 9900, while after learning my habits, the Z10 corrects 99% of them automatically. And with the 10.1 OS leak, it's even faster now.

I will not try to say that the Z's virtual keyboard is better for everybody. But I will say that I'm much faster on it than I ever thought I'd be -- faster than I was on any of my QWERTY BB's, and certainly any other virtual keyboard I've used before now.
    05-07-13 08:48 AM
    I've had the z10 since it came out for tmobile on March 26th. It's not A hard keyboard to use. I make lots of mistakes, but apparently the auto correct is good enough to catch about 99 percent of my mistakes.
    Help me understand the typing benefits of the Z-img_00000268.png

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 08:49 AM
    I use licking all the time and it is truly amazing! ...
    I never tried typing with my tongue, but to each their own.

I found it interesting that all the typing I had done on my Bold made the tips of my fingers hurt by the end of the day. It got to the point where I would either shorten my responses, or use a lot more word substitution. My word substitution library kept growing to the point where I could type without spelling out most words.

Now, with the Z10, I'm not typing as many words out. The text prediction does very well, and I find that I am writing a lot more detail by flicking words up all the time.

The philosophical side of me wonders if these truly are the words I would have typed anyway, or if having word suggestions affects which words I will actually use next.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 11:00 AM
    [QUOTE=Xopher;8438859The philosophical side of me wonders if these truly are the words I would have typed anyway, or if having word suggestions affects which words I will actually use next.

Posted via CB10[/QUOTE]

I believe that it is working both ways, depending on how well you know what you are going to write.... . quite often it helps me out when I am stuck...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Warlack; 05-07-13 at 12:31 PM.
    05-07-13 11:52 AM
    tl:dr I suggest that you buy it and try it.

Dim-Ize, it sounds like you have done your research. I get what you are asking in your post, but I don't think that other posters can help you with this. In the time that I have spent watching people use various phones with physical and virtual keyboards, landscape and portrait, and type one-handed or two-handed, this comes down to individual preferences and motor skills.

Some of the people on this forum took to the Z10 instantly after using mostly physical keyboards in the past, while others took a few days, while still others took a couple of weeks. It is going to vary from person to person. Some people like predictive text while it drives me batty. Some people need some sort of feedback whether it's from physical buttons or just the clicking sound on virtual keyboards. Others have no need for this feedback.

Differences in how a person learned to type could play into this, as well. A person who learned to type on manual typewriters has a different set of motor skills than someone who learned to type on a computer keyboard. Did you learn to type by formal instruction or did you learn to type by getting faster and faster at hunting-and-pecking?

There are many factors that determine whether or not you will enjoy using a virtual keyboard. I don't doubt your ability to do so, but you may not find the task enjoyable. On the other hand, you could get a Z10 and wonder why you waited so long to take the plunge.
    This is great advice. Some people just can't convert to touch screens because they first learned on an iPhone and the opposite.
    05-07-13 10:39 PM
    I also want the Q10 because of the instant actions. Being able to type. "Email Bob" and you open up the email app or type. " tweet hello" and it posts to twitter.
    Those little things are the productivity things you can't get in the z10
    I got the leaks on Z10 and just did type in the search, from home page, email Christine and that is what it did, bring her up

but I don't know about twitter
    05-07-13 11:21 PM
    After 3 months using the Z10 keyboard, I could never go back. Simply love it. Especially the fact that I can type so fast with one thumb.

Posted via CB10
    Omg, I've had this thing for a month and never knew that I could swipe and the whole word would disappear! Thank you!!!!!

Dang it I quotes the wrong guy sorry :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    05-07-13 11:34 PM
    I got the leaks on Z10 and just did type in the search, from home page, email Christine and that is what it did, bring her up

but I don't know about twitter

Help me understand the typing benefits of the Z-img_00000103.png

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 01:00 PM
    Flying Thumbs app is awesome.

Post via CB Z10
    05-11-13 10:07 AM
    Flicking is good for one handed or casual typing. However i tend to just type two thumbed without flicking most of the time, which is a lot quicker for me. However i do still make a lot more mistakes compared to when I typed on my physical keyboard BlackBerry, even with a comprehensive dictionary etc.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-13 11:59 AM
44 12