I hammer out allot of messages on my 9900. I've been in the Q forum as well as the Z forum reading the benefits of both. What is intriguing to me is how the Z user base claims significant improvement over time when using the predictive "flicking" of the text.

I tried the Z in a Best Buy today. We don't have the Q yet, so a side by side isn't possible. But, I think I have the idea of a Q from my 9900 experience. I kept goofing up the tests for typing. I would flick a word and it would be the wrong one. Is it just my fat thumbs fault? Was it in demo mode and locked down? Sadly there were no people that could give me any help figuring it out. I think I'm just not doing it right or something.

Man that Z is beautiful. But, with my test today, I am worried about the speed at which I could keep up with my SMS / email requirements.

Snazzy's thread in the Q forum suggested: Media consumption / browsing = Z while SMS / Email = Q. That makes sense to me - but, several threads in this forum have me spinning around.
    05-06-13 09:08 PM
    I used to be a Bold 9900 devotee, but enough time with the Z10 switched me over to touch keyboards. Using it enough to build up a sizable auto complete dictionary helps.

Posted via CB10
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    05-06-13 09:11 PM
    I used to be a nazi when it came to physical keyboards, I bought this z and never looked back. Can't imagine typing without flick.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 09:12 PM
    So it is dependent upon building up the dictionary and the demo model is pretty empty?
    05-06-13 09:13 PM
    I used to be a nazi when it came to physical keyboards, I bought this z and never looked back. Can't imagine typing without flick.

Posted via CB10
    So, you too send out allot of messages? I'm guessing I receive about 200 / day and send 75-100 per day. The sending / replying is what has me a little worried.
    05-06-13 09:15 PM
    yep, the more you use it, the more it adapts to you and your habits. I've always loved the physical keyboard (9900 was perfection) and hated typing on glass but that was until I got my Z10. It never ceases to amaze me how accurate I can type on it. I love the form factor of the Q and it made sense to me 9000 > 9900 > Q10 but I when i picked up the Z10 it felt perfect and I had to have it. No regrets!
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    05-06-13 09:18 PM
    So it is dependent upon building up the dictionary and the demo model is pretty empty?
    Demo models tend to receive the short end of the stick.

The keyboard tends to learn repeated phrases quite fast, so that helps too.

Posted via CB10
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    05-06-13 09:20 PM
    In my limited experience, it is the best virtual peck keyboard out there. I really liked it, and the prediction engine is good.
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    05-06-13 09:21 PM
    I've had the Z10 since it's US launch and I still don't approach the proficiency I had with the 9900. I'm improving but still prone to miss-swipes. Partly from clumsiness and partly because, depending on my level of eyestrain, the predictive choices are too hard to see.

Posted via CB10
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    05-06-13 09:22 PM
    Demo models tend to receive the short end of the stick.

The keyboard tends to learn repeated phrases quite fast, so that helps too.

Posted via CB10
    Okay. That makes sense. I use shortcuts on my 9900 all the time - like typing, "awst" + space and the 9900 fills in "Awesome, thank you very much." Or "mycc" + space and it types in my conference call number / password.

I assume you can still create your own word substitution list on either the Q or the Z?
    05-06-13 09:25 PM
    I've had the Z10 since it's US launch and I still don't approach the proficiency I had with the 9900. I'm improving but still prone to miss-swipes. Partly from clumsiness and partly because, depending on my level of eyestrain, the predictive choices are too hard to see.

Posted via CB10
    Honest feedback is always appreciated.
    Dim-Ize and Harley Kid like this.
    05-06-13 09:26 PM

Posted via CB10
    I find for precision, the auto correct really does a good job for me...I can tell when i type without even looking at the Z10 sometimes and it gets it correct...can't beat that imo. Speed comes with time on the keyboard as in any other just doesn't tire your thumbs out as fast.
    00stryder and Dim-Ize like this.
    05-06-13 09:27 PM
    I did the same thing you did. I went to bestbuy (USA) and tried the z. I found I type much more accurately on that than my iPhone 4S; however, I want a keyboard.
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    05-06-13 09:35 PM
    Help me understand the typing benefits of the Z-img_00000458.png

Posted via CB10
    shivaji and Dim-Ize like this.
    05-06-13 09:37 PM
    Okay. That makes sense. I use shortcuts on my 9900 all the time - like typing, "awst" + space and the 9900 fills in "Awesome, thank you very much." Or "mycc" + space and it types in my conference call number / password.

I assume you can still create your own word substitution list on either the Q or the Z?

Help me understand the typing benefits of the Z-img_00000171.png

Posted via CB10
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    05-06-13 09:38 PM
    After 3 months using the Z10 keyboard, I could never go back. Simply love it. Especially the fact that I can type so fast with one thumb.

Posted via CB10
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    05-06-13 09:42 PM
    From my experience, I only use the flick typing when using one hand. It is definitely faster than one handed typing on the qwerty for me. As for two thumb typing, once you use it for a while, it starts to understand your typing style and where your thumbs land and you can put a lot of faith in the auto correct. I'm now at the point that I can pretty much just look at the screen and let the keyboard figure out the Mish mash I actually input and it correctly fixes it 95% of the time. For those times it doesn't, one swipe back takes the word away and I can start again. I'd say that I'm just as, I'd not more, proficient on my Z10 as I was on my 9700.

Posted via CB10
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    05-06-13 09:43 PM
    the best way to type on a Z10 is just trust it, it does the work for you.
    dosto, 00stryder and Dim-Ize like this.
    05-06-13 09:44 PM
    I found the "flicking" not useful for normal typing. But I do think the flicking was great for one hand typing.
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    05-06-13 09:45 PM
    Snazzy's thread in the Q forum suggested: Media consumption / browsing = Z while SMS / Email = Q. That makes sense to me - but, several threads in this forum have me spinning around.
    I have read Snazzy's thread and i concur. I have had Curves, a Tour, Torch(s) and a Bold. I have also had the Galaxy, the iPhone4S and am currently stuck on an Android. I am leaning for the Q simply for the QWERTY and the ability to respond to the SMSs & emails quickly. I guess I fall into the "keyboard loyalists" after trying multiple touch devices. My daughter is a Storm 2 faithful and is dying to get the Z10. I, on the other hand, am waiting out this contract to get my paws on the Q. I feel that the best device for someone is the one that most effectively fits their needs. Please dont misunderstand me, I would gladly give the Z10 a fair shot if one happened to come my way!
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    05-06-13 09:48 PM
    I also want the Q10 because of the instant actions. Being able to type. "Email Bob" and you open up the email app or type. " tweet hello" and it posts to twitter.
    Those little things are the productivity things you can't get in the z10
    Dim-Ize and LadyOfTheLAN like this.
    05-06-13 09:51 PM
    After 3 months using the Z10 keyboard, I could never go back. Simply love it. Especially the fact that I can type so fast with one thumb.

Posted via CB10
    +1. I too LOVE, in fact now almost PREFER, to type with one thumb. And, with one thumb...maybe it's just me....I seem to make fewer mistakes and I'm faster thanks to the flick typing
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    05-06-13 09:53 PM
    Yes you can create and add your own word substitutions to the list.

It has taken me some time to master the word flicking but I am getting much better at it. Most sentences I type now are mostly flicked words. So fast. And you have a lot of ways to customize your keyboard. I have always had blackberries and was very hesitant to give up my bb keyboard but I can honestly say I would never go back.

Posted via CB10
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    05-06-13 09:57 PM
    Help me understand the typing benefits of the Z-img_00000266.png

Brick phone to Motorola flip to 8100 to 8120 to 9700 to 9900 to zed10...

Posted via CB10
    Dim-Ize, jasonvan9 and AT_Nepal like this.
    05-06-13 10:05 PM
    tl:dr I suggest that you buy it and try it.

Dim-Ize, it sounds like you have done your research. I get what you are asking in your post, but I don't think that other posters can help you with this. In the time that I have spent watching people use various phones with physical and virtual keyboards, landscape and portrait, and type one-handed or two-handed, this comes down to individual preferences and motor skills.

Some of the people on this forum took to the Z10 instantly after using mostly physical keyboards in the past, while others took a few days, while still others took a couple of weeks. It is going to vary from person to person. Some people like predictive text while it drives me batty. Some people need some sort of feedback whether it's from physical buttons or just the clicking sound on virtual keyboards. Others have no need for this feedback.

Differences in how a person learned to type could play into this, as well. A person who learned to type on manual typewriters has a different set of motor skills than someone who learned to type on a computer keyboard. Did you learn to type by formal instruction or did you learn to type by getting faster and faster at hunting-and-pecking?

There are many factors that determine whether or not you will enjoy using a virtual keyboard. I don't doubt your ability to do so, but you may not find the task enjoyable. On the other hand, you could get a Z10 and wonder why you waited so long to take the plunge.
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    05-06-13 10:21 PM
44 12