Hi everyone, I just lost my Z10 and was looking for some information. I was able to lock and display a message to call me on the device, but since then, it won't respond and calls go straight to the voicemail. My question is this; since it's locked, if they write the password wrong 10 times, does it erase the SD card along with the rest of the wipe? I have really personal stuff on the SD card, so this is more important to me than the phone itself right now!

Also, if they wipe it through BB Link or other methods, does the SD card get wiped as well? Unfortunately, I couldn't click the wipe button from BB Protect before they turned it off.
    Thanks!
    05-25-13 07:12 PM
    Call your carrier and suspend the account. See if they can locate it for you?

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 07:22 PM
    Thanks, but my main issue is with the data on the SD card. Do you have any idea whether it is erased when someone enters the password wrong 10 times? Or is it just the phone.
    05-25-13 07:26 PM
    Damn that sucks! Sorry dude I've never used the BB Protect feature so can't help but I'm sure others here will probably respond with some info.
    05-25-13 07:28 PM
    Use BlackBerry Protect maybe you get lucky and find it.

Yes if they put password in wrong 10 times it will get erased

Also with BlackBerry Protect u can remotely erase device.

Problem is if they removed the Sim then it's not going to find your device.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 07:29 PM
    I believe only the device storage is wiped. Perhaps someone can confirm. Did you have encryption enabled for the SD card?

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 07:30 PM
    Since you were able to lock the device, the only option they will have is to enter a password which after ten incorrect tries will wipe the device and card. This will leave the phone as a brick unless they managed to figure out the password. The only problem is that they can remove the card and if it is not encrypted it will be readable if taken out before attempting login...

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 07:37 PM
    This is the info directly from the BlackBerry Protect website regarding a remote wipe:

"Delete all of your device data, including email messages, contacts, and third-party apps. If possible, back up your data before proceeding. On devices running BlackBerry 7.1 or earlier, the data on your media card is also deleted"

Unfortunately, that sounds like it will not wipe the data on a card in the Z10. I hope you had it encrypted.
    JustWatching likes this.
    05-25-13 08:03 PM
    I think so long as your card was encrypted you're fine... it cannot be accessed
    05-25-13 08:04 PM
    Don't know if the SD card is erased via remote wipe, but if it is encrypted the can't do anything with it.
    05-25-13 08:07 PM
    Dang... that's rough. I kinda wanna know what's on that SD card to make it more valuable to you than your Z10, but on second thought, maybe I don't! haha
    05-25-13 08:11 PM
    Any SIM card that gets inserted back into the phone will cause the phone to wipe if you have sent the command. You can bet that whoever has it will likely insert a SIM card at some point. BB Protect has nothing to do with the SIM card. It uses the device PIN, but does require an active data connection.
    05-25-13 08:57 PM
    Thanks guys, so I did send the wipe command, but I'm very worried about the SD card (which wasn't encrypted). It had a lot of pictures that could be very detrimental to a few people in the area where the phone was lost.

Honestly, I'm not trying to say that this isn't my fault, but for a company that prides itself on security, the fact that the wipe won't erase SD card contents is a serious oversight.
    05-25-13 09:29 PM
    Although the phone is off if you click on wipe phone it will wipe when the phone is turned back on. Or at least that's what happens on OS 7

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 09:29 PM
    So does anyone know whether or not 10 failed password attempts wipes the SD card along with the rest of the phone??

I would love to know the answer to that.
    05-25-13 10:02 PM
    So does anyone know whether or not 10 failed password attempts wipes the SD card along with the rest of the phone??

Wipes only the phone

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 10:19 PM
    I don't think it's an oversight, as you are responsible for the use of the phone. The manufacturer gives you the option to encrypt the card, so if the phone is lost or stolen, wiping the device will make the SD card unusable. If you didn't encrypted the card, so is your fault.

Same thing happened to me, I left my Z10 on a cab, and I had ver important documents and pics from an ongoing investigation on the SD card, but mine was encrypted, so nothing to worry.
    TheTigerTek likes this.
    05-25-13 10:40 PM

Dude. Are you blind? Someone already said that if you didn't encrypt your card then it can be accessed even if you wipe your phone.

And if those are sex pictures then it's not a big deal.

Posted via CB10 (BB Z10 : BLK)
    05-25-13 10:53 PM
    Dude. Are you blind? Someone already said that if you didn't encrypt your card then it can be accessed even if you wipe your phone.

And if those are sex pictures then it's not a big deal.
    1) Nobody said that before. They were referring to the online BB Protect, while I was talking about the 10 failed attempts. Anyways, it's resolved now.

2) Yes, the pictures were private. How is it not a big deal? I'm not even worried about anything that leads to me, I'm more worried about the innocent people whose privacy I just jeopardized by being an ***** and a) not encrypting the card, and b) being careless with the phone.

Anyways, thanks for everyone's help. I just hope that the person wipes everything, including the SD Card. I'm monitoring eBay and Craigslist in the area to see if the phone will turn up there. It has two unique dents that I could easily use to distinguish it from other Z10s.
    05-25-13 11:22 PM
    I encrypt everything that's one of the cool things about nothing having a sd capable phone. You don't have to worry if you lose your phone.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 11:44 PM