Our cell contract has been up for a while and I swore I would never lock myself into another after a fiasco with Bell and the Samsung Vice purchase. My wife's 9700 is acting up and needs something new so I started calling around. Called Rogers (my provider is Bell) and they offered us many goodies to sign up, Bell was reluctant at first but have offered what I think is a good deal to keep us if we both sign back up for a three year contract with new devices.

It doesn't show in my post count but I spend a great deal of time on Crackberry, wouldn't consider myself a fanboy but I like to support the underdog, love the 9810 and my wife's 9700 and would like to continue supporting local. All that introduction just to tell you we are planning on getting a Q10 for the wife and Z10 for me this week.

I want the Z10 but wasn't going to get it yet because I'm not careful enough! My 9810 has been dropped so many times, hard enough at times that the battery and back comes off and the hard case is cracked in two places. I've also had to replace the digitizer when I let it go for a swim in the toilet (luckily just water in it at the time )

I've got the "Ballistic Shell Gel (SG)" case on the way, it makes the phone much bigger but I need the protection. Is the Z10 durable? I'm not expecting miracles but is it as durable at the S3 and iphone? The 4thGen iPods my daughters have seem so durable even with all that screen realestate, If they are as durable as that I would feel much better about my upcoming purchase.

I'm also a little concerned about

- Booting on it's own
    - Battery life
    - Touch screen typing
    - ****Durability
    - Going to miss my trackpad

Other than that I'm looking forward to the
    - Larger screen
    - New OS
    - Camera
    - Android sideloading,
    - LTE
    - Web browsing
    - Media share

Looking forward to upgrades that give us

- Improved Playbook bridge
    - USB Host
    - Multiple alarms
    - Headless apps
    - Colour LED indicator

Looking for honest opinions

Thanks!
    06-02-13 10:49 PM
    Wow, just noticed this is my very first post after all this time reading Crackberry!
    06-02-13 10:51 PM
    About your concerns;

Random reboots seem to be isolated cases. I've had an STL100-1 for two months and I haven't had a single reboot. People who have this problem have replaced their phones and carried on.

Battery life is hard to predict, I for one I'm very happy with it. Full work day on 3g. Your mileage will always vary. Updates to OS have improved it though.

Typing on a Z10 is wonderful. I learned to stop worrying and trust the spacebar as well as swiping p predicted words. It's ecstatic.

Durability is something that can only be trusted to Blackberry. It's too soon to tell if they're durable or not. Mine has fallen a couple of times from my desk and once from my hand doing something stupid. It's survived gratiously all of them. Legacy BBs were pretty durable, so I trust my Z10 will be too.

You may get past the trackpad. I did. And I thought I'd never get over it. A good touchscreen UI doesn't really depend on that. You mentioned bridge, so you have a playbook; do you miss a trackpad on it?
    06-02-13 11:49 PM
    Sorry I can't help with Q10 cheers. I wanted to wait for it because of the keyboard and the slightly smaller size. Today, I'm glad I took a leap of faith on crackberry users speaking wonders of the virtual keyboard because they were right.

Now if only I could get my hands on a Q10 and spare the dough for it,.. I'd go ahead and get one. Just to see if I'm still good at typing. However the large screen of the Z10 has really spoiled me, My last phone was a 9790 and I managed with it for a year.
    06-03-13 12:01 AM
    The Z10 is very durable as I've dropped mine twice from good heights and once it landed on the screen. Nothing but a few scratches on the side.

Typing is very fast and intuitive. Most sentences can be finished in a few flicks. Word predictions are good and improve as you use the phone.

Battery life is about 15 hours on a charge with moderate to heavy use.

Overall flow of the os is great. Personally, I love the screen size and feel of the Zed.

That being said, I have experienced the reboot issue but it is not happening with the most recent 10.1 update.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-13 12:17 AM
    Sounds like you have read enough crackberry to know all the potential problems that could occur with the z10, and yes all of those have affected people, but remember, not everyone is having problems.

I have had two reboots since I purchased my phone a couple months ago (had my second about an hour ago) im ultra sensitive to watch for reboots due to all the issues that have been brought up on here but in reality, Id say probably every smartphone I have ever owned rebooted every now and then and I never thought twice about it.

Purchase a case based on the level of protection you need. Im not familier with the one you have on the way, but I know trident makes some good ones with two different levels of protection that supposedly dont interfere with the touchscreen, there is also a very good hard screen protector that people seem to really like here on CB that is availble (havent got to try it yet), the phone isnt bulletproof, but I havent seen/heard anybody having problems related to build quality.

Dont worry about typing, you are going to love it, while i didnt come from a physical keyboard, I can tell you the Z10 has the most fluid and responsive/user friendly keyboard availble on any virtual keyboard phone.

Be realistic with your expectations for the battery and what you want to use it for, I dont think anyone would argue the fact that the battery is undersized/powered for the features of the phone. That being said, I find it makes it through a normal day of average use with 20-15% to spare for me on average. If you are a power user, consider the battery charger pack.

Dont let all the negative on CB discourage you, remember people come to CB for help when they have problems so we end up seeing the worst of the horror stories on here (over and over again). These stories almost kept me from ever buying my Z10 but Im sure glad they didnt, this is hands down the best phone experience I have ever had (ex android/old windows mobile). BB10 is a great OS and its only going to get better.

Im not a fanboy, infact ive never had a BB prior to this one, but I believe in a great product when I find one and the Z10/BB10 is just that.

In conclusion, get the phone and enjoy, hope you get as good of a unit as I picked up. If you happen to have any problems the CB community will be here to help.

PS sorry that kind of turned into a rant at the end but I just wanted to get that out there, I hate the fact that isolated problems get repeated over and over on CB and lead to misconceptions about the quality of the Z10
    06-03-13 12:33 AM
    I am coming from a 9930 and now have a Z10 and I LOVE it! I always thought I would use a physical keyboard because I didn't enjoy the experience on a touchscreen keyboard. The Z10 has the best touchscreen keyboard around!

So far the experience has been good with it. At first it was a bit frustrating with the OS that it came with out of the box, lagging and glitches and all that, but a leaked OS fixed all that. 10.1 is much better! Running much smoother now and not one random reboot. I have Verizon so the LTE kinda eats up the battery at times. But with future OS updates I'm sure that will improve.. and the Q10 has a bigger battery and less screen to power and also dark themed so it wins the battery war. I have heard good things about the Q10 battery life.

The overall feel of the Z10 is great in the hands! I use a case on mine because it's like holding a new born baby without one on it. Don't want to drop it. If the screen cracks, the touchscreen stops working. I have seen in a few threads of people who have broke their Z10 already.. The Q10 I haven't played with yet, but I'm sure it's much more durable than the Z10. It has a strong bezel around it and smaller screen with less chance of shattering.

So overall I think the Z10 is better because the OS is made for it with all the swiping and peeking and flowing. With the Q10 it just doesn't seem as efficient, but you get the physical keyboard which BlackBerry is known for! So really you won't be satisfied unless you have both devices. Lol.. I do miss my physical keyboard, but I will sacrifice for a bigger screen and a better experience!

I choose the Z10 over the Q10 because I just feel it has a better experience. Bigger screen for games and movies. And it just seems to flow better. But if you don't want entertainment and just really use a phone for communication purposes the Q10 is your device. So it really just depends what you want from the device. Like I said before, I never thought I would leave my physical keyboard, but the Z10 proved me wrong. I am more than satisfied with it!
    06-03-13 12:36 AM
    I have never had a problem with the Z10 - Have has the STL100-1 and everything works just fine.
    It runs on 3G and off the charger at 7am it lasts me till at least midnight with mainly emails - a few calls and some social media apps with of course some CB10.
    I only download software that are officially released - I dont install leaked OS and I only install apps from Blackberry World.
    No issues at all -
    For your concern about the durability - just get a stronger case to protecct the phone - there are so many out there that will meet each person's needs.
    Love the Built in Remember App - makes me so much more productive -
    Watch a few more demos and you won't go back :-)
    06-03-13 12:48 AM
    I'm also a little concerned about

- Booting on it's own
    - Battery life
    - Touch screen typing
    - ****Durability
    - Going to miss my trackpad
    With regard to your worries about durability, there's no way the Z10 is any more fragile than an iPhone or S4. Any phone will break if it lands the wrong way. You either use a case or you don't. I'd cross the durability issue off your list.

The bottom line with the Z10 is that you have to be ready to exchange if necessary, and to invest a little time into it. Sure, you may get one that works perfectly, but if you've been reading here, you'll know that there are lots of little things that can happen (ignore these people who say 'I'm not having any issues'. Everyone knows there are problems). As long as you're okay with that, go for it. You'll be supporting the underdog, like you mentioned.

If you have no patience for things like that and you want something that is going to work right out of the box, you may want to think twice or wait until things settle down with the OS a bit. As much as people here love to hate on the iPhone, it does what it does pretty well and most everything just works.
    Last edited by mset; 06-03-13 at 01:23 AM.
    06-03-13 01:05 AM
    With regard to your worries about durability, there's no way the Z10 is any more fragile than an iPhone or S4. Any phone will break if it lands the wrong way. You either use a case or you don't. I'd drop the durability issues from your list.

The bottom line with the Z10 is that you have to be ready to exchange if necessary, and to invest a little time into it. Sure, you may get one that works perfectly, but if you've been reading here, you'll know that there are lots of little things that can happen (ignore these people who say 'I'm not having any issues'. Everyone knows they exist). As long as you're okay with that, go for it. You'll be supporting the underdog, like you mentioned.

If you have no patience for things like that and you want something that is going to work right out of the box, you may want to think twice or wait until things settle down with the OS a bit. As much as people here love to hate on the iPhone, it does what it does pretty well and most everything just works.
    I agree with you. Yes the Z10 is a great device and BB10 is a great software, but it really does need more time to develop to really be a solid platform. It's almost like it's in beta mode right now because it is missing so many little things and that's because it's so new. So you definitely have to be patient if you do end up getting a BB10 device. But it will only get better. Just a matter of time!..
    06-03-13 01:17 AM
    The Z10 is great, excellent battery life and the OS is easy to use and fast to navigate. I've never had any reboots (STL100-1) the phone runs perfectly, with regard to durability the phone is bigger than my previous BlackBerry so I've never dropped it for the month I've had it now, plus I bought a case that doesn't make it look bigger but protects the phone against fall and bumps.

I say go for it, bigger things are coming to this OS, remember its a brand new Operating system its awesome already and future updates will bring awesome new functionality to the platform. Take the leap, you won't regret it.
    06-03-13 03:29 AM
    The Z10 and Q10 are excellent phones.

If you have the tendency to drop the phone often, consider a good protection case. The investment will pay for itself. This way you won't bust up your phone as easily.
    06-03-13 05:19 AM
    Reboot - hit or miss the 10.1 software update seems to solve most if not all issues. Still boots up for me on the charger but that's it.
    Battery life - average battery life similar to most smartphones that aren't the note 2
    Typing - don't be I came from the 9780 and this is a awesome keyboard. I thought it would be terrible to after using the iphone and note 2 keyboards and coming from a qwerty keyboard. Only thing I miss is the tactile feedback
    Durability - clearplex screen protector and get a decent holster or case. I've dropped my phone once from a kitchen counter on to hardwood face down (friend knocked it off the counter) and dropped it 3 times still in one piece.
    Track pad - just miss this for copying and pasting but the gestures are great so you will forget about it quickly.

Pros way outweigh the cons. You'll love it q10 or z10 you can't go wrong whatever suits your needs best.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    Last edited by R Field; 06-03-13 at 11:20 AM.
    06-03-13 05:38 AM
    THe Z10 is very durable and is overall a great phone. I wouldn't be very worried. You will be blown away!
    06-03-13 05:51 AM
    You mentioned bridge, so you have a playbook; do you miss a trackpad on it?
    Lol, yes I do. I find some websites with small links difficult to select with my fat fingers. The zoom in to select is tiresome and copy and paste is a breeze with the trackpad. Another thing is using the trackpad keeps the screen clean!

I'm sure I will get used to not having it. Looking forward to the Z10

Thanks

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 via Tapatalk
    retomex likes this.
    06-03-13 11:01 AM
    Thanks for all the advice everyone! Like hearing all the 'drop testing' some of you have performed even if by accident.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 via Tapatalk
    06-03-13 11:05 AM
    Z 10 is a more refreshing choice.

I dropped it at least 10 times with the soft plastic card pase case. Not a scratch.

I personally would recommend all my friend give Z 10 a go.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-13 11:20 AM
    I have dropped mine more times than I care to think about and I do not have a durable case on my Z10 but i do have a screen protector lol.

And for some reason my 3 reboots a day have diminished to nothing... i haven't had one in two weeks and before that they became less and less frequent ... no update (Verizon) so idk why

Get the phones... you will love them!

Posted via CB10
    06-03-13 11:26 AM
    Well I did it, got the Q10 and Z10 last Thursday!

Posted via CB10
    SantaBerry likes this.
    06-14-13 04:25 AM
    Well I did it, got the Q10 and Z10 last Thursday!

Posted via CB10
    And.... do yall love them? of course you do!

Posted via CB10
    06-14-13 06:24 PM