Hello, All.

Today my headphone suddenly stopped working and all sound would only come from the phone speaker.

I was listening to music in the morning, took my headphone out of the housing, came back from lunch, put my headphone back in, and the Z10 wouldn't recognize the headphone.

-I went home and tried 3-4 other headphones and that didn't work. (still only sound from the phone speaker)

-jiggled the headphones around (still only sound from the phone speaker)

-I restarted the phone (still only sound from the phone speaker)

-I did a battery pull (still only sound from the phone speaker)

-security wiped my phone (still only sound from the phone speaker)

-reload the firmware to factory (still only sound from the phone speaker)

-bluetooth audio works, when it is paired in my car, the sound does not go out the phone speakers, it only goes through the car speakers.

So just posting here as a last resort to see if anyone has experienced this or have a fix before I contact BlackBerry and have to send my baby off for probably 2 weeks.

I'm beginning to think this is a hardware issue because of all the test I did above ;(
    04-26-13 12:00 AM
    Yea the headphone port is a piece of plastic with copper pins that line up with the markings on the headphone jack its self. Sometimes and rarely the headphone pins can be broken or bent or shorted if coming in contact with liquid. There is a liquid tape inside to measure if the device had come in contact with liquid. I think it's a hardware fault.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-13 12:19 AM
    Yea the headphone port is a piece of plastic with copper pins that line up with the markings on the headphone jack its self. Sometimes and rarely the headphone pins can be broken or bent or shorted if coming in contact with liquid. There is a liquid tape inside to measure if the device had come in contact with liquid. I think it's a hardware fault.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the reply, no liquid has touched the Z10. It's so weird that it worked one minute, then it just stopped working. I am on the road now so will have to wait after the weekend to contact BlackBerry anyways, figured I would give this forum a go until then.
    04-26-13 12:27 AM
    Same thing happened to me. Just stopped working randomly. Still have to go to Rogers to send it in for repair. Just can't live without this phone so I keep delaying. LOL

Posted via CB10
    04-26-13 12:53 AM
    mines the opposite sometimes. Ill unplug the headphone jack and the phone refused to play audio from the speaker rather it routs it to the headphone jack wich has nothing
    04-26-13 12:58 AM
    mines the opposite sometimes. Ill unplug the headphone jack and the phone refused to play audio from the speaker rather it routs it to the headphone jack wich has nothing
    You should at least call BlackBerry. I think they will advise you to send it off to them to be fixed. Hopefully you have a backup phone.

I think the first thing I read when opening the Z10 packaging was "Have problems? Call us!" or something like that.
    04-26-13 01:14 AM
    It's a common defect with blackberry and other companies headphone jacks. The jack pins get bent or snapped off. I had this issue with my old 9300 and 9800. While the 9300 was a simple replacement part the 9800 jack was soldered on to the motherboard and needed to be returned. So I just bought a good quality blue tooth headphone set.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-13 01:35 AM
    It's a common defect with blackberry and other companies headphone jacks. The jack pins get bent or snapped off. I had this issue with my old 9300 and 9800. While the 9300 was a simple replacement part the 9800 jack was soldered on to the motherboard and needed to be returned. So I just bought a good quality blue tooth headphone set.

Posted via CB10
    Z10 specifically has this issue though, of the headphone port failing, poor blackberry!
    04-26-13 04:45 AM
    You should at least call BlackBerry. I think they will advise you to send it off to them to be fixed. Hopefully you have a backup phone.

I think the first thing I read when opening the Z10 packaging was "Have problems? Call us!" or something like that.
    I'll try that. Thanks. But only a week with this device and I have headphone problems? Hopefully it's just software bugs that get ironed out. My original. I replaced it on the third day. By the year I had 5 replacements and like 6 repairs. I don't want something like that happening to this

Posted via CB10
    04-27-13 12:32 AM
    How long have you had your phone? If you purchased it at a store within the last 14 days you should be able to exchange it. Some states give you 30 days.

This is a very common problem for phones and tablets. This is especially true with charging ports. There are a number of phones and tablets being sold on Ebay that have this problem. I know it sucks.
    04-27-13 01:01 AM
    Yup this is definitely a hardware problem.
    BlackBerry should address this.

I use headphones extensively with my phone, and having a headphone jack that fails just after a month's use is extremely disappointing and frustrating.

Does anyone know if BlackBerry is willing to repair the phone if we call explaining the headphone jack issue? I purchased my STL100-3 from GSMNation in the USA, and I live in Canada, so I'm just wondering.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 12:51 AM
    Obviously this suggestion won't be viable and I am sure it will sound repulsive to a few but if you bought a BlackBerry mini speaker you could pair that with your phone and then plug your headphones into the mini speaker. My headphone jack works perfectly on the Z10 but I still prefer to utilize the BlackBerry mini speaker as middleman for many reasons so I just thought I would put it out there even though it's not an ideal solution I think it's a highly enjoyable one

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 01:07 AM
    Headphone plugged in your phone (any type of phones) + putting it inside your pocket are common cause of this. You guys can figure it out why... its the same thing as sleeping with headphones plugged in your ears.

Posted via (CB)
    04-28-13 01:15 AM
    Perhaps systemvolker but I'd just like to add that I've done exactly what you've said with my previous BlackBerry 9700, iPod touch and iPhone and never acquired a headphone jack problem. I've had headphones themselves fail and spoil over the years, but not a headphone jack.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 06:05 PM
    The same thing happen to me. I had a curve for 3 weeks!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 06:40 PM
    Headphone plugged in your phone (any type of phones) + putting it inside your pocket are common cause of this. You guys can figure it out why... its the same thing as sleeping with headphones plugged in your ears.

Posted via (CB)
    Ok, i guess you might have to return the phone and get a new one.

Posted via (CB)
    04-29-13 01:03 AM