And vodaphone was charging around �534 for the z10. Much more then it's competitors prices. Yes, you are right the Z10 is very cheap now after the epic fail it's launch price was. The Z10 is not a better deal because it has no support from developers. Motorola G is a much better device for consumers because it has the latest software from Google and has an ecosystem far better then BB10 has. Wouldn't see any reason to buy a Z10 over a Moto G, unless I was a top level employee at a firm which requires high security.

Edit: just found out that the Q10 had a launch price of �579. They should be selling these devices at �350 Max.
    A logical extension of your argument is that the Motorola G is a better phone than a 4s/5c/5s for consumers. The launch price of the Z10 at Carphone Warehouse was 499/529 depending on the day of week. A Moto G seems a very good phone buy unfortunately had no NFC and no 4G/LTE compared to a Z10. I find the range of apps on the BB10 OS more than adequate and only 2 days ago I had a productive email discussion with a BB10 app developer who was enthusiastic about the platform.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 05:56 AM
    Still the z10 is being ordered by various Government organisations around the world... speaks out loud about the reliability of z10...

Let them grab headlines... but BlackBerry will bounce back... because bb10 is a solid product.

Posted via CB10
    A quick google on us government ditching blackberry revealed several instances where they have left Blackberry for other platforms.
    12-23-13 05:58 AM
    Edit: Just found out that the Q10 had a launch price of �579. They should be selling these devices at �350 Max.
    Just found out the launch price of a 5C was 469... LMAO... 469 for last year's tech in a plastic case. I would rather spend 230 on a Lumia 920 if I wanted 12 month tech in a plastic case... a massively better phone than a 5C.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 06:01 AM
    A logical extension of your argument is that the Motorola G is a better phone than a 4s/5c/5s for consumers. The launch price of the Z10 at Carphone Warehouse was 499/529 depending on the day of week. A Moto G seems a very good phone buy unfortunately had no NFC and no 4G/LTE compared to a Z10. I find the range of apps on the BB10 OS more than adequate and only 2 days ago I had a productive email discussion with a BB10 app developer who was enthusiastic about the platform.

Posted via CB10
    Moto G is an excellent device, supported by large ecosystem and a very low cost. Everyone talks about NFC but I have yet to see it in use in the U.K.

You might find the apps adequate, but I can barely find any of them top 100 apps in the app world, and my experience with sideloading has been terrible.
    12-23-13 06:01 AM
    Moto G is an excellent device, supported by large ecosystem and a very low cost. Everyone talks about NFC but I have yet to see it in use in the U.K.

You might find the apps adequate, but I can barely find any of them top 100 apps in the app world, and my experience with sideloading has been terrible.
    YMMV... the Z10 is ideal for me. I agree the 4G is a great phone but missing a couple of features for me.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 06:08 AM
    12-23-13 06:09 AM
    From the article you just posted.

"BlackBerry handsets were widely used throughout U.S. federal departments but Apple Inc.’s iPhones have steadily eaten away at that monopoly.

Last year, the Department of Homeland Security said it would move away from using only BlackBerry devices for its more than 17,000 employees. The National Transportation Safety Board also dropped BlackBerry smart phones in November last year and adopted the iPhone 5."

Read more: BlackBerry Z10, Q10 get Pentagon approval | IT World Canada News
    or visit IT World Canada Information Technology news on products, services and issues for CIOs, IT managers and network admins for more Canadian IT News
    12-23-13 06:13 AM
    Wah.

Can't believe you guys managed to whine this page to 12 pages long.
    12-23-13 06:18 AM
    Wrong, I'm typing from z10.

Angela merkel and her crew has more than one.

Uk based firms have more,

Your boss may have one try checking

Posted via CB10
    The definition of what is "good" without any associated metrics is dependent on each person's use, likes, and needs. I don't base my definition of "good" on what Angela Merkel, the whole of the UK, or my boss has (which by the way I also have and I manage for my agency.)

I base my definition of "good" on what I personally am trying to accomplish. It might not agree with yours. But your definition of "good" is not necessarily the same as mine and vice versa.

Even when metrics are used there is the undefinable "like" factor.....a person is drawn to something intrinsically. I happen to like chocolate over vanilla. Can't explain it, it's a preference. There are times when I use one phone over another.

If I base my definition of "good" on yours, or Angela Merkel, or the whole of the UK, then I am following others' perceptions over my own needs, wants, likes. And that is what here is euphemistically and derisively referred to as "sheep." I'm sure that the insinuation is not that we should follow others' opinions over our own preferences, needs, and likes, correct?.
    Anilu7 likes this.
    12-23-13 06:25 AM
    Hope you don't mind me jumping in on this. They are all good devices but I personally wouldn't wanna spend $800 dollars on a phone. Those prices have to come down. If I was given the choice to chose one I would go:

1) Note 3
    2) Z30
    3) iPhone 5
    4) Z10
    5) Galaxy 3
    I have a Note3 too and I have to say that, that phone is a Killer, never used one smartphone so perfect like that I upgraded from my 2 I'm so happy but I m upset about the speakers on my 2 was.much louder than the 3 , I have a iPhone 5 and Z10 and I have to say that I prefer my Z10 so far IOS s so boring Os I Hate Home button!

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 06:28 AM
    No winners or losers. We are just discussing/ debating. Nothing wrong with different point of view. I have a question for you if you don't mind answering. If the iphone 5s, galaxy 3, note 3, z10, and z30 were all 800 dollars which one honestly do you think is the best value with everything considered? Btw anyone can answer this.
    It's been excruciating reading some of the stuff here and I haven't caught up since leaving it a message or two back but this is a ridiculous question to pose.
    I've experience android, and ios and I know what those who have moved on are saying but it's mind numbing sometimes lol

Flagship phones have lately been about rushing to tick all the checkboxes eg spec wise with the odd unwanted "feature" thrown in to entice the gullible.

Yet we don't go on about what we need to get out of a phone. These who just need a communicator, a media consumption device or both.

To me, commodisation is creeping through and soon it'll be price alone esp in the crowded android market. You have companies like blu's life pure offering a 5inch 1080p screen, 32 gb with decent specs at a good deal at 350 usd and we're asking which device for 800?
    Is this specs alone because I know I prefer BlackBerry 10 as an os and fortunately each device released by BlackBerry hasn't skipped a beat with its fluidity. It is unique enough to stand out.

There are pit falls for BlackBerry 10 like all other mobile platforms and I know some in here prefer a note 3 and that's fine but if you're selling to me that a 2 panel app sharing is good, you'll be right but it's still very limited and that's not something I'm interested in yet.

It's unfortunate that people feel the need to attack the gestures when it doesn't take long to acclimatise to it.
    So instead we mark it as not good enough or unintuitive.
    What happened to exploring and gazing at something new? it's a new way to deliver this information... and you know what swiping isn't new! One or two new swipes and it's too hard or confusing.
    When a swipe up and to the right gets me to all my messages is not intuitive enough...

They believe BlackBerry is lacking yet attack it without listening. Usb otg, miracast and hdmi isn't a sign that BlackBerry is sitting back. These are standards that are useful.

It blows my mind that people need to attack BlackBerry with a small feature on another platform that is inconsistent and gimmicky and feel the need to thrash talk them for sticking with an archaic form factor? Yeah let's Criticise them for their willingness to listen to their keyboard wanting fans.
    BlackBerry might be cutting back but they're not letting go of their enterprise business without a fight.

I know I didn't choose a BlackBerry device on specs alone, I chose it for the experience and unfortunately some media outlets haven't had that same experience.
    Anilu7 likes this.
    12-23-13 06:36 AM
    No phone is intuitive unless it has a dial.
    Attachment 232369
    Posted via CB10
    I know you're kinda sorta joking, but these were far from intuitive. Back in the day, major TelCos produced informational films showing users how rotary dials worked, because said users were baffled.

The first phones required users to ask the operator for the customer then wait to be connected. Now that's intuitive!
    zensen likes this.
    12-23-13 06:40 AM
    I base my definition of "good" on what I personally am trying to accomplish. It might not agree with yours. But your definition of "good" is not necessarily the same as mine and vice versa...
    A well put point of view however many consumers don't or can't objectively state what they want or don't want from a phone and rely on reviews, popular opinion and what they are marketed.

What particularly irritates is that many of these so called reviews proudly announce that the best phone happens to be the biggest, fastest, flashiest and most expensive. Shock, horror. The only phone that breaks this mould is the Motorola G and could be a landmark device because it may actually makes people think about spending considerably more money for a device that offers marginally better functionality.

I personally like Windows Phones as well as BlackBerry phones and have no hesitation in recommending a Lumia 520/620 to friends if they ask my opinion because they offer excellent value and functionality. I also recommend my Z10 not because of fanboyism, but because right now it really is at an excellent price / performance point (in the UK at least) to be ignored.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 06:47 AM
    Smartphone smackdown: the best (and worst) of 2013 – video review | Technology | theguardian.com

Well he had a z10 and just chucked it, as a z10 owner I was quite pissed this is a good phone better then most people think,
    I have had this phone since August I have had no one single issue, it has run smooth as silk does what I need it to do
    there issue is apps, the almighty apps,
    I understand there is still uncertainty with Blackberry but I believe the the current Management is trying to right this ship again, I have supported Blackberry for years now, and I am use to people taking the mick on me, with their Iphone cracks, but how many security and OS issues as Apple had this year compared to Blackberry

One day there will be credible journalists ,
    It's easy to decide whether a review is worth reading or watching. If the author/presenter says the iPhone 5S is the best smartphone of 2013, you can look elsewhere for a more balanced review.
    12-23-13 06:52 AM
    A well put point of view however many consumers don't or can't objectively state what they want or don't want from a phone and rely on reviews, popular opinion and what they are marketed.

What particularly irritates is that many of these so called reviews proudly announce that the best phone happens to be the biggest, fastest, flashiest and most expensive. Shock, horror. The only phone that breaks this mould is the Motorola G and could be a landmark device because it may actually makes people think about spending considerably more money for a device that offers marginally better functionality.

I personally like Windows Phones as well as BlackBerry phones and have no hesitation in recommending a Lumia 520/620 to friends if they ask my opinion because they offer excellent value and functionality. I also recommend my Z10 not because of fanboyism, but because right now it really is at an excellent price / performance point (in the UK at least) to be ignored.

Posted via CB10
    I am *this* close from jumping on a Windows Phone. Really, *this* close. Curiosity, really. I haven't bought one yet and I'm very curious.

The three words I bolded are metrics that can be easily researched, so I don't have a problem with an article quoting speed, as an example, because it can be researched.

My personal peeve is the "best" or "good" labels because they are purely subjective (if no metrics are used) and task dependent.
    Anilu7 likes this.
    12-23-13 06:54 AM
    It's easy to decide whether a review is worth reading or watching. If the author/presenter says the iPhone 5S is the best smartphone of 2013, you can look elsewhere for a more balanced review.
    iPhone 5S is one of the top three smartphones this year.
    12-23-13 06:55 AM
    I actually have to agree with Dave on this one. Blackberry hasn't market the phone. Period.
    All of the device reviewed by the Guardian do exactly what they supposed to do but love is in the eye of the beholder. It is the companies duty to make sure that the products are marketed correctly and adopted by the masses. In my opinion Blackberry has failed miserably.

Having said that, it does seem rather interesting why even the rest of the Blackberry crowd who have the choice and are in the market for a new Blackberry phone chooses OS7 over OS10 as shown in the financial report. This raises some questions.
    Ummmm cause companies upgrading phones are still using bes5 and not 10 yet so replaced older devices at cheaper cost with existing licenses?

Probably has nothing to do with the os, more cost than anything.

That or parents finally woke up and instead of blowing their left n*t on a piece of glass for a snot nosed teenager whining of wanting a phone, got them a blackberry with a keyboard for texting and saving data, cause lord knows the phone companies are not serving data up on a silver platter anymore, the BlackBerry os7 handles data compression best.

BlackBerry forever, haters never!
    12-23-13 07:09 AM
    But not the best .... because the reviewers said so .....

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 07:15 AM
    I am *this* close from jumping on a Windows Phone. Really, *this* close. Curiosity, really. I haven't bought one yet and I'm very curious.
    They're actually very good. I have a Lumia 620 ... a very compact phone with excellent features and best of all excellent Nokia specific features i.e. offline maps/navigation and Nokia music. Navigation isn't as slick as BB10, and keyboard and email support is better on BB10 IMO.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 07:23 AM
    I'm not even going to go anywhere your mighty stylus. It is a big phablet. You don't see a GS4 with a stylus. Don't say the Note 3 is better because of a stylus. It makes me feel like you really needed to pad your response.

Split screen. Yes it is cool. Can copy and paste from anywhere anyway. But the splitscreen thing has its merits. Also won't find it on anything but a Note. If the Note does it for you why are you arguing about why another phone is inferior? How crazy.

Yeah Google maps and messaging from your computer. Sounds great. For a guy with a big Note 3 you use your computer a lot. Same response goes for the play store on your computer but we can do this too.

Yes your ecosystem is mature. This is all you got?

Ok Z30 has stereo speakers. Yeah. I went there.

BB10 has the HUB which is nothing like a notification dropdown. Why? Because you can not only view notifications but reply and manage your emails, SMS, BBM, Whatsapp, Facebook, Twitter, application notifications (including Android notifications), calls, Voicemails including Visual Voicemail and more without ever needing to open any of these applications and navigate them separately.

And what someone mentioned before, Toast Notification on BB10 is also different. You get a toast notification through SMS, BBM or Whatsapp and you don't have to leave what you are doing to answer back. Quick Reply. You answer directly from the notification without leaving what you were doing. I think that's what that guy meant to say. And seriously if Android or the even just the Note can do that I have personally never seen one do it.

I'm not knocking your Note3. It's a great phone. If we can call it that. You could easily just come here and say "Apps" and you've won the argument. But that's not the point. That's too easy and I won't let you get away with that kind of laziness if your going to come here and argue. BB10 works well and you have no clue about it but just come here to argue with people who think it is great because you have a more powerful phone. The Z30 has its merits and if it doesn't do it for you then move on. There are many people who would benefit in their social interactions more so with a Z30 than a Note. It all depends on what their needs are. The crappy thing is most people will see horrible half-arsed reviews from crap-for-brains like these guys and go for a different phone. It doesn't matter if it has a whole lot of things they don't use or need or, even though it has a crazy fast quad-core processor, the OS is more inefficient to navigate because of its dependence on multiple apps to manage communications. Nope doesn't matter at all. People don't see that. They see what's popular and what the reviewers like (get paid to like). No hard feeling mate. Try harder next time. This post kind of annoyed me.
    Actually a lot of Android devices have split screen. The Galaxy S3 and S4 are two non Note branded devices which have the feature. So that's one less feature that's the Note series has going for it
    12-23-13 07:27 AM
    tossed the z10 because of swipe jestures and then justified apple screen size for same. How could anyone take him seriously after this, what a *********. sorry for the language but sometimes its called for.
    12-23-13 07:33 AM
    But not the best .... because the reviewers said so .....

Posted via CB10
    Reviews, specs, ecosystem, user reviews, popularity all place this as the number one. Heck apple sold more devices in one weekend then blackberry did in half a year..
    12-23-13 07:35 AM
    Reviews, specs, ecosystem, user reviews, popularity all place this as the number one. Heck apple sold more devices in one weekend then blackberry did in half a year..
    I really don't care. My Z10 does what I want for less than half the price of a iPhone. That's what matters to me. It was a researched and objective purchase. I looked at iPhone and decided it was too overpriced and compromised/limited in functionality for my purposes.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 07:38 AM
    Agreed, it's at the top for one category of people.
    12-23-13 07:40 AM
    I really don't care. My Z10 does what I want for less than half the price of a iPhone. That's what matters to me. It was a researched and objective purchase.

Posted via CB10
    Good for you! But the majority of the consumers obviously have not felt that their needs have been met with Blackberry devices.
    12-23-13 07:41 AM
454 ... 1011121314 ...