It's a stretch for my thumb and the times I have used an S3 and stretched for the buttons the phone feels as if it could fall out of my hand.

My bet is both i-phone and android will get rid of those buttons over time. Apple will call it some BS name and it'll be amazing. They already have the swipe down but have ruined it with the ios7 theme which looks like it was built by a drunk theme builder.

Posted from my Z30 via the CB app
    I hope not. I really like the feel of the button on the iPhone. It feels as natural as it did to have the buttons and the trackpad on the legacy devices. I like the physical design on both and I hope they don't remove them.

As far as iOS7, I like the colour scheme. I like the brightness of it over the dark background and dark icons on BB10. I find all that dark oppressive.
    12-24-13 08:44 AM
    They didn't put the button there because it's ideal. They put it there because there isn't another place. People had to adapt which then became a natural habit, not a natural action.

Most of the smartphones I have owned, long before the iPhone and the Samsungs, have had the buttons at the bottom. Even the 9800, 9810, and 9860 had them at the bottom. The exceptions have been the BlackBerry devices which had them in the middle.
    12-24-13 08:47 AM
    They didn't put the button there because it's ideal. They put it there because there isn't another place. People had to adapt which then became a natural habit, not a natural action.

Hmm, seems to work fine for me. Not even sure what you are talking about still. What, hundreds of millions of people seem to get by with a button there. Seems quite natural to me.
    12-24-13 08:53 AM
    I hope not. I really like the feel of the button on the iPhone. It feels as natural as it did to have the buttons and the trackpad on the legacy devices. I like the physical design on both and I hope they don't remove them.

As far as iOS7, I like the colour scheme. I like the brightness of it over the dark background and dark icons on BB10. I find all that dark oppressive.
    Aha I see. It's down to preference then and not set in stone that BlackBerry needs to catch up with the competition as others have said.

I honestly cannot see why there wasn't a fuss made when they released that OS which looked like that. The lairy imessage isn't generically pleasing either.

I really like the dark themes for BlackBerry. It's all personal preference though

But like I tweeted this week. Apple are absolute masters at selling the sizzle and not the sausage.

Pete The Penguin likes this.
    12-24-13 08:54 AM
    Most of the smartphones I have owned, long before the iPhone and the Samsungs, have had the buttons at the bottom. Even the 9800, 9810, and 9860 had them at the bottom. The exceptions have been the BlackBerry devices which had them in the middle.
    Yes the 9860 in particular is in the same boat I assume as I haven't used one but it's the same concept. I'm open, I wouldn't defend BlackBerry for something I didn't believe in.

12-24-13 08:57 AM
    Not even sure what you are talking about still.
    Ok you need to focus or I won't reply to your posts.

12-24-13 08:59 AM
    Ok you need to focus or I won't reply to your posts.

My focus is pretty good, actually. It's just that of all the criticisms I have heard about iPhones, or for that matter Android phones, a button on the bottom isn't on the radar.
    12-24-13 09:02 AM
    My focus is pretty good, actually. It's just that of all the criticisms I have heard about iPhones, or for that matter Android phones, a button on the bottom isn't on the radar.
    You'll be ok.

Merry Christmas

12-24-13 09:03 AM
    I think that for as many people that know what they want, there are just as many who don't. The market for smartphones has burgeoned in this past year will probably continue to grow. The reason for this thread is that some reviews are being dismissive of a BlackBerry as not being a good enough smartphone for 'the masses' when the opposite is quite possibly true. Owning a Z10 or any other BB can be just as painless and fruitful an experience as owning an Android or iPhone or Windows Phone provided it meets the user's needs and is good to use. Most reviewers focus on specs and ecosystem, and while the latter is important it is not as major a stumbling block as is made out to be. As a responsible person I would not recommend the most expensive feature rich phone, even though it may be the best, to anyone whose needs are more modest or more focussed, or for whom those features would go unused or unappreciated and therefore a waste of money.
    I wish there were more reasonable and logical thinking people such as yourself. Every point you made in your post is bang on.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 09:11 AM
    You'll be ok.

Merry Christmas

Hope so. Merry Christmas to you as well.
    12-24-13 09:28 AM
    I've been wondering that......
    Loyalty to any handset other than a BlackBerry is mocked
    That's a handful of people who can't separate their emotional attachment to the brands they use. The mocking only occurs because you have iPhone or Android users coming into these forums with no intention of having subjective opinions.

I'd imagine the same occurs on iMore and Android Central between those users and BlackBerry or WP fans. Everyone in here should be using one staple line in there responses: "I agree to disagree! "

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 09:58 AM
    I've been wondering that......
    Loyalty to any handset other than a BlackBerry is mocked
    Apple, Microsoft and Google aren't on the edge of extinction.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    12-24-13 12:42 PM
    You've clearly never even seen the guardian never mind read it. It's not populist and it's not a tabloid. You don't like their review fine, but trashing the entire newspaper is just being silly.
    That's right... the very same gutter rag that glorified Snowden's treachery and crimes and is still trying to boost a failed circulation on the back of it. Notorious for many years as the "Grauniad" from its inability to avoid simple spelling errors, and the accuracy of factual content is about the same level.

Sent from an Otterbox wrapped Samsung Galaxy.
    Lendo likes this.
    12-24-13 01:22 PM
    Apple, Microsoft and Google aren't on the edge of extinction.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    So what?
    12-24-13 01:54 PM
    If that comment about a two year old operating an iPhone is even true, then that just confirms for me why it seems like a dumbed down OS to me.

Posted via CB10
    Just because something is simple to use, doesn't mean it is "dumbed down." It just means that it is, well, simple.

For many people the whole purpose behind smartphones are to do things easily and in the most simplistic of ways. This isn't to say that I don't find BB10 to be pretty simple to use, but yeah.

Honestly, BB10 is not instinctively intuitive. Unless one knows to swipe, they have no idea to make use of the gestures. Gestures may make sense after using the OS for a bit, but that doesn't mean it intuitive. I'm sorry, but people can't just pick up a BB10 device and intuit what they should do to make it work.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 02:55 PM
    Happy Christmas everyone ... even to Guardian reviewers... hope they get a Z10 for Christmas

Posted via CB10
    niss63 likes this.
    12-24-13 02:57 PM
    Just because something is simple to use, doesn't mean it is "dumbed down." It just means that it is, well, simple.

For many people the whole purpose behind smartphones are to do things easily and in the most simplistic of ways. This isn't to say that I don't find BB10 to be pretty simple to use, but yeah.

Honestly, BB10 is not instinctively intuitive. Unless one knows to swipe, they have no idea to make use of the gestures. Gestures may make sense after using the OS for a bit, but that doesn't mean it intuitive. I'm sorry, but people can't just pick up a BB10 device and intuit what they should do to make it work.

Posted via CB10
    That's the point of the boot up tutorials. People were equally confused about Windows 8 had they not done tutorials.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    12-24-13 03:06 PM
    That's the point of the boot up tutorials. People were equally confused about Windows 8 had they not done tutorials.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    I did the tutorials and didn't get the up swipe correct. I wasn't starting low enough. People were laughing at me when I showed them my new phone. Then I read on another forum how to do it correctly and it has been fine since.
    12-24-13 03:11 PM

What you do is customize the background and the contrast of icons to background changes dramatically. Very simple.
    The Hate continues The Guardians Phone review 2013 z10 just tossed,-img_00000304.png

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 03:14 PM
    What you do is customize the background and the contrast of icons to background changes dramatically. Very simple.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000304.png 
Views:	750 
Size:	703.1 KB 
ID:	233061

Posted via CB10
    Interesting

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    12-24-13 03:18 PM
    One of my favorite features of the Z10 are the physical buttons on the side and on top of the phone. They feel great and their location is perfect. I would like the phone to have better camera and if possible expand the size of the screen without making the phone bigger in size. The size now is perfect to hold and manage with one hand. I imagine having difficulty with bulkiness of the Z30.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 03:19 PM
    That's right... the very same gutter rag that glorified Snowden's treachery and crimes and is still trying to boost a failed circulation on the back of it. Notorious for many years as the "Grauniad" from its inability to avoid simple spelling errors, and the accuracy of factual content is about the same level.

Sent from an Otterbox wrapped Samsung Galaxy.

The Guardian even owns the domain name
    grauniad.co.uk

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 07:36 PM
    I stopped after he tossed the z10. Lame analysis.

Posted via CB10
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    12-24-13 07:47 PM

Posted via CB10
    If you put an iPhone or an Android into the hands of someone who has never used it before the same thing could be said. The difference is in how easy it is to learn. All OS can be inuitive once you learn how it operates. My car radio and controls are intuitive to me but anybody driving my car for the first time is going to look around for controls. No mobile OS navigation styles are identical. The only thing similar that major OSes have are 'home' buttons. B10 has a 'home' gesture. It is known already that this OS uses gestures so to be stumped means you are really new to it and therefore it is not inuitive to you. BB10 gestures are intuitive to the OS. The reason why BB10 and Playbook owners pick up an iPad and swipe up a couple of times before smacking their head at how dumb they felt (trust me i've been there more times than I care to admit) is because the swipe gesture navigation is what they are used to using and almost instinctive to them. It is a great way to navigate a mobile OS and may take some a day or two to master, but I can't say it is unintuitive.

For the record, without looking at tutorials, BB10 can be tricky because, well, no buttons at all. But you would already know that it uses gestures from the start and the tutorial is kind of forced on you anyway.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 08:50 PM
    Wow really? So my comment about my previous deleted comment which had valid points against iphones also got deleted? I thought we were free to speak our minds in here, guess not.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 09:21 PM
454 ... 1516171819