I can't believe the sales reps in the phone kiosks and phone shops, they only want to push the androids! Apple only pushes their own! BlackBerry should be spreading some marketing cash around if they aren't going to have their own shops!

I've been drooling over the Z30 and the reps look at me as though I'm mad. Really!

About apps, apple and android may have a gazillion apps, but I've yet to find one that I want that I can't get on BlackBerry.

I like having a reliable phone that doesn't crash. That can do many tasks with ease.

BlackBerry bashers just make me more committed!

Posted via CB10
    There are a lot if apps I use that I can't get on BB. The other issue is that Samsung probably spends more on marketing in a year than the total value of BB. BB is WAY smaller than Apple, Google and Samsung. It's hard to see them winning an advertising battle.
    12-23-13 10:39 PM
    Bb4life21 I gave you an opinion on the silly question presented to us..

If presented at the same price whether it was a dollar or a million dollars most would choose the device that suited them.

The price is arbitrary because I can only assume your pairing specs/perceived value which is trumping user experience. We're not all heavily reliant on an app ecosystem either.

Your investment into the BlackBerry ecosystem didn't work out for you. I never felt like I missed out.

If you don't accept my 'paragraphs of reasoning', that's fine because you certainly can't respond without being defensive .

I just put weight behind my reason.
    12-24-13 12:27 AM
    Bb4life21 I gave you an opinion on the silly question presented to us..

If presented at the same price whether it was a dollar or a million dollars most would choose the device that suited them.

The price is arbitrary because I can only assume your pairing specs/perceived value which is trumping user experience. We're not all heavily reliant on an app ecosystem either.

Your investment into the BlackBerry ecosystem didn't work out for you. I never felt like I missed out.

If you don't accept my 'paragraphs of reasoning', that's fine because you certainly can't respond without being defensive .

I just put weight behind my reason.
    Lol o man you are a character. First off the question was directed to a poster I was in a conversation with the OPTION if anyone else wanted to answer it. He and other posters were able to to without going into a crying rant about nothing. If you thought the question was silly why did you answer it?? It wasn't even too you. But I know you wouldn't want to miss a chance to go on a pointless rant about nothing. Once again if you can't come up with a logical response to a simple question just pass by it.
    12-24-13 02:05 AM
    They're actually very good. I have a Lumia 620 ... a very compact phone with excellent features and best of all excellent Nokia specific features i.e. offline maps/navigation and Nokia music. Navigation isn't as slick as BB10, and keyboard and email support is better on BB10 IMO.

Posted via CB10
    I'm at a decision making point. My Z got dropped in water so it's dead and I'm back to my 9900. So I'm trying to decide whether to get a Lumia or the Q10. I'm not too keen on the Q10 so I might pull the trigger on the Lumia. I've got some time to decide.
    12-24-13 05:54 AM
    I didn't say they use default blackberries you find in stores, i said they use blackberries, which you obviously agree on...if the iphone was so special why don't they put those chips in an iphone? thank you, no further questions.... my "statement" was more of an opinion. Iphone IS mediocre. Does it have millions of apps? Sure. Am I ever going to use a million apps? No...and I doubt you will either... i can't tell you how many times I've walked by a repair shop at a mall or something and it's full of iphones.... and when the z10 came out it was NOT more expensive than the latest iphone... at the very least if you wanted a 32g iphone you would have to shell out about another $200...cost to upgrade the storage on my z10? about $15... enjoy your iPhone buddy, i'm sure you'll be camping out for the next one in a few months with money in hand....no, you're not a sheep at all. sheeps eventually learn.

Posted via CB10
    Well I don't know why anyone would go to a mall repair shop to fix an iPhone since it's so easy to just walk into a store to get your phone seen by an Apple tech, just like a BlackBerry....oh...nevermind....well it's also ironic that we're discussing iPhones at mall shops when I could not get anyone to fix my rebooting Z or bricking/nuking 99xx devices at any mall shops since what was required was a leaked OS which I could just do at home. And the bricked 99xx devices, well, there was no saving them anywhere. Interesting that in the time I've owned three different iPhones I haven't had one break....how odd....unusual....strange....I must have a magical hand for iPhones and a horrible one for 99xxs and Z10.

As far as camping out money in hand to buy the next iPhone....if that is sheep like behaviour, why isn't it sheep like behaviour to preorder a device on a new OS without testing it first in hand, particularly with BlackBerry's execution track record and as resulted, later, with the rebooting Z10s?

Fact is, people want what they want. I know what I expect from a BlackBerry and I know what to expect from an iPhone and I know what to expect from a Galaxy line. Therefore I have no problem getting the next device. Loads of people feel that way. So why is the pejorative used only when it comes to iPhone? Why am I not a sheep after going back repeatedly to a company whose last offerings were plagued with problems for me and I'm a sheep for going back repeatedly to a company whose last offerings had absolutely no problems for me? Would I not be more of a mindless sheep by going back repeatedly to a company that has repeatedly given me faulty devices, or is that considered loyalty when in reference to BlackBerry? Why is loyalty to BlackBerry something to be admired and extolled and loyalty to the iPhone something to be ridiculed and mocked and users called sheep?
    12-24-13 06:23 AM
    Fact is, people want what they want. I know what I expect from a BlackBerry and I know what to expect from an iPhone and I know what to expect from a Galaxy line. Therefore I have no problem getting the next device. Loads of people feel that way.
    I think that for as many people that know what they want, there are just as many who don't. The market for smartphones has burgeoned in this past year will probably continue to grow. The reason for this thread is that some reviews are being dismissive of a BlackBerry as not being a good enough smartphone for 'the masses' when the opposite is quite possibly true. Owning a Z10 or any other BB can be just as painless and fruitful an experience as owning an Android or iPhone or Windows Phone provided it meets the user's needs and is good to use. Most reviewers focus on specs and ecosystem, and while the latter is important it is not as major a stumbling block as is made out to be. As a responsible person I would not recommend the most expensive feature rich phone, even though it may be the best, to anyone whose needs are more modest or more focussed, or for whom those features would go unused or unappreciated and therefore a waste of money.
    12-24-13 06:39 AM
    I think that for as many people that know what they want, there are just as many who don't. The market for smartphones has burgeoned in this past year will probably continue to grow. The reason for this thread is that some reviews are being dismissive of a BlackBerry as not being a good enough smartphone for 'the masses' when the opposite is quite possibly true. Owning a Z10 or any other BB can be just as painless and fruitful an experience as owning an Android or iPhone or Windows Phone provided it meets the user's needs and is good to use. Most reviewers focus on specs and ecosystem, and while the latter is important it is not as major a stumbling block as is made out to be. As a responsible person I would not recommend the most expensive feature rich phone, even though it may be the best, to anyone whose needs are more modest or more focussed, or for whom those features would go unused or unappreciated and therefore a waste of money.
    I disagree. I think that the main things that matter with a phone now are apps and ecosystem. Everything else, hardware and OS, is there to deliver those two. And I don't think BB is even competitive in delivering those.
    12-24-13 06:56 AM
    Absolutely agree with almost everything you said. I will add that the sad situation BlackBerry finds itself in is due to the absolute failure to be proactive and aggressive in getting the message to the public. Then, had there been a customer who really didn't know what to choose, there would have been a BlackBerry as a choice rather than just those companies who are aggressive and who do fully promote their products.

I feel there is a great deal of blame placed on customers, carriers, media when the real problem is the failure of BlackBerry to tell those customers who may be on the fence that "hey!!!! take a look at this!!!" Had there been a presence in the media, with carriers, on the walls of Metro trains, then articles such as the one quoted would be easy to refute or would not have proliferated over the last few years. If a journalist, sees no presence in the media, if BlackBerry hasn't sent him/her a device just like they did with Erin Burnett on CNN, if he/she doesn't see a strong presence from BlackBerry then he/she is more likely to go with the path of least resistance. Not every journalist, if that is what you can call these "reviewers," is one that is going to be objective. They exist, but frankly they do what the carriers do, they write for hits.

Ultimately it is futile to look for balance in a media saturated with bloggers who need only a computer and internet access to post their "articles." The power and the responsibility lies with BlackBerry and they have allowed this to happen by being asleep at the wheel. And the constant posting of negative articles empowers the writers of these articles because they see the hits. So....in complaining against these writers and clicking on their articles folks are giving them the impetus to continue.

BlackBerry needs to ACT. The silence is deafening and has not served the company well.

The one piece where I disagree with you is the ecosystem. I do find it important to my full experience.
    12-24-13 06:57 AM
    iPhones are great

But the Z10 at �12 per month , was for me a amazing deal as there are many good things about the Z10 ( my last windows phone �28 per month Nokia lumina 800 )

The hub is good at lest as good as apple and windows phone
    Video playback is good and films at 79p is amazing
    Keyboard is good miles better than my �100 android phone.
    Screen quality is very good at the price point
    Swiping is fine
    Apps the guardian , independent, ny times, globe news, the weather channel, ok I have more on my ipad but am happy with apps on my Z10
    Like the nighttime clock feature
    Has not really crashed in the month I have had it

I would say the Z10 is excellent value

I am also happy with my ipad so I am not a one brand person who has to stick to one company, so I would say impartially the z10 is excellent value at the moment

Dylan

At the moment would only consider a blackberry or iPhone on next upgrade , depending on what happens , but honestly consider blackberry a good choice
    12-24-13 07:01 AM
    I admit I'm a sheep. I had to change flocks in 2007 however as the leader of that flock almost led us down a cliff. The new flock I'm in has led me through a nice smooth scenic path. That old flock in 2007 I think is still near that cliff, almost fell a couple times but have managed to hold ground. The few remaining grumble from time to time but keep saying things will get better. There's just no other flock out there that's better than ours, never or so I hear.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    12-24-13 07:16 AM
    Why is loyalty to BlackBerry something to be admired and extolled and loyalty to the iPhone something to be ridiculed and mocked and users called sheep?
    I've been wondering that......
    Loyalty to any handset other than a BlackBerry is mocked
    EddieAIG and GadgetTravel like this.
    12-24-13 07:24 AM
    Everything else, hardware and OS, is there to deliver those two. And I don't think BB is even competitive in delivering those.
    As in we need a button(s) where our thumb isn't lool

Posted from my Z30 via the CB app
    12-24-13 07:35 AM
    As in we need a button(s) where our thumb isn't lool

As in what are you talking about? Seriously, what is your point?
    12-24-13 07:44 AM
    It's ironic that the guardian actually has a pretty decent app for the phone they chuck away. The baldy guy slates the z10 because it's gesture based yet raves how easy the new iPhone is to use when you swipe around.

Posted via CB10
    Glad you noticed that.....what a ******* ***** that guy is, makes me wonder how credible their news articles are....

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 07:53 AM
    I disagree. I think that the main things that matter with a phone now are apps and ecosystem. Everything else, hardware and OS, is there to deliver those two. And I don't think BB is even competitive in delivering those.
    Here's a simple case where hardware and OS matter. Download a film from iTunes to an iPhone and play said film on a large LCD TV that does not have DLNA or Airplay. A Z10 does this out of the box albeit with a 1.99 cable. An iPhone 5 needs a 40 cable conversion plus said HDMI cable. If I had a DLNA TV, BB10 OS supports this natively, iPhone does not ... it needs the help if an app. Try transferring a file over Bluetooth, replacing your battery, increasing your phone's memory to store more media ... etc. etc. These are really important things yet not mentioned or just glossed over in reviews as not bring a positive feature for BB10 or a negative one for that other popular brand of phone.

Posted via CB10
    omega supreme likes this.
    12-24-13 07:58 AM
    double post
    12-24-13 07:59 AM
    As in what are you talking about? Seriously, what is your point?
    It seems apple is more important than logic. Both apple and android have buttons unnaturally at the bottom. Until they catch up, then, it'll be a good idea.

12-24-13 08:08 AM
    Here's a simple case where hardware and OS matter. Download a film from iTunes to an iPhone and play said film on a large LCD TV that does not have DLNA or Airplay. A Z10 does this out of the box albeit with a 1.99 cable. An iPhone 5 needs a 40 cable conversion plus said HDMI cable. If I had a DLNA TV, BB10 OS supports this natively, iPhone does not ... it needs the help if an app. Try transferring a file over Bluetooth, replacing your battery, increasing your phone's memory to store more media ... etc. etc. These are really important things yet not mentioned or just glossed over in reviews as not bring a positive feature for BB10 or a negative one for that other popular brand of phone.

Posted via CB10
    Th replaceable battery is surely an advantage of BBs. It is a very nice feature. But there are a lot of Android phones that have this as well. As for the TV part, I think the overall integration of iphone/iTunes and so forth with Apple is more seamless and the fact that you need an app for it isn't that important in the long run. Plus, I'm not sure how many people do that. For most, I doubt it comes close to making up for the missing apps.
    12-24-13 08:09 AM
    It seems apple is more important than logic. Both apple and android have buttons unnaturally at the bottom. Until they catch up, then, it'll be a good idea.

What is so unnatural about a button at the bottom? My thumb naturally rests near the bottom as I hold the device. For me, it is a farther reach to swipe up. That is not a consideration for me as to the device I buy.

Come to think of it, what is so unnatural about buttons in general? If there were something unnatural about buttons then the iconic BlackBerry keyboard would not still be the ultimate state of the art keyboard.
    12-24-13 08:14 AM
    Plus, I'm not sure how many people do that. For most, I doubt it comes close to making up for the missing apps.
    Unfortunately many features that Smartphones have usually go unnoticed until you explicitly point them out. The resulting response is usually "wow... I never knew I could do that... thanks for pointing that out ... that's really useful". I had such an experience showing some friends how they could use their Android and iPhone as mobile hotspots.

There also seems to be some misrepresentation concerning brand names for certain technologies. Most people don't realise that I can do Bluetooth and wireless data transfer or play audio and video to a networked device using DLNA because my phone doesn't have a branded or proprietary technology called Airplay or Airdrop.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 08:33 AM

Why is it unnatural? Who says they are catching up? Given what BBs looked like when the iPhone came out and what they look like now, it would be easier to argue BB hasn't figured out how to go from a lot of buttons to only one button.
    12-24-13 08:34 AM
    Moved
    Posted by the inimitable Z10 handheld system
    12-24-13 08:35 AM
    What is so unnatural about a button at the bottom? My thumb naturally rests near the bottom as I hold the device. For me, it is a farther reach to swipe up. That is not a consideration for me as to the device I buy.
    It's a stretch for my thumb and the times I have used an S3 and stretched for the buttons the phone feels as if it could fall out of my hand.

My bet is both i-phone and android will get rid of those buttons over time. Apple will call it some BS name and it'll be amazing. They already have the swipe down but have ruined it with the ios7 theme which looks like it was built by a drunk theme builder.

12-24-13 08:38 AM
    Still continue to be impressed with BB10

http://m.youtube.com/watch?utm_mediu...ampaign=Buffer

Posted via CB10
    omega supreme likes this.
    12-24-13 08:39 AM
    They didn't put the button there because it's ideal. They put it there because there isn't another place. People had to adapt which then became a natural habit, not a natural action.

12-24-13 08:41 AM
454 ... 1415161718 ...