Thinking about this I wondered how many app's I actually needed. Looking at my laptop the only app I have is Skype everything else uses the browser, facebook, twitter, linkedin, amazon, ebay, google, you tube, banking etc and of course its all on a big screen, well big compared to a phone. Also have a Playbook and can honestly say that 85% of app's I have downloaded never get used after initial trial period. In fact every so often I go through them and delete apps I never use. Is it really so much better to have an icon with your banks name on it than an internet short cut with your banks name on it.
    Bungalow_Bill likes this.
    03-26-13 03:27 PM
    When your on your computer you are mostly using wifi. So ya go nuts on the website...problem is...on our phones we are using data...and data costs money..or we run out if our cap
    Why do I want to use data to surf to a page. When I can open an offline app and do what I want in the app?

If I have to send and receive everything I want to do in Docs to go I don't need to be online for that app. Maybe apps that are live only...

Give me unlimited data...you have a case.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-13 03:34 PM
    Thinking about this I wondered how many app's I actually needed. Looking at my laptop the only app I have is Skype everything else uses the browser, facebook, twitter, linkedin, amazon, ebay, google, you tube, banking etc and of course its all on a big screen, well big compared to a phone. Also have a Playbook and can honestly say that 85% of app's I have downloaded never get used after initial trial period. In fact every so often I go through them and delete apps I never use. Is it really so much better to have an icon with your banks name on it than an internet short cut with your banks name on it.
    To be fair, your computer has a top notch application: the browser.

Now, this is another place that overall functionality is what matters to me. My mobile browser is synced to my desktop browsers. Bookmarks, history, everything. That is another field that I think a specific app (in this case, Chrome) makes a huge difference, even with regards to browsing.
    03-26-13 03:42 PM
    I was never a big app user. I liked using Iheart Radio and or pandora. I used them on the tourch. Have to give it some times for Iheart and Pandora to catch up with Z10. We will see what happens... Everything looks good so far...
    03-26-13 04:03 PM
    I must agree to this, but there are still some things here and there (Shazam, Endomondo, Kobo, Zinio, Scrapbook, SugarSync, Wikititude, Audible, come to mind. Oh! And Skype! But not Intagram or NetFlix ) that would be welcome additions the the Platform.
    Try this scrapbook
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...0-89-a-786860/
    03-26-13 04:07 PM
    03-26-13 04:13 PM
    And that is where, for my needs, I would balk. I need to be as productive as possible on the go. I don't want to have to put off my productivity till I get to a terminal, or have to lug around a laptop.

For me, apps increase functionality. I understand not everyone has those needs. The great news? BBRY seems to understand my needs, and is working hard to meet them. I am grateful BBRY does not seem to be saying "just use the browser!"
    What productivity apps do you have that can take the place of a computer program?
    03-26-13 04:22 PM
    What productivity apps do you have that can take the place of a computer program?
    Where did I say I had productivity apps that can take the place of a computer?
    03-26-13 04:36 PM
    Funnily enough I have more apps on my Z10 than I ever played with on the bold 9900...

Then again things like the toolbox are really more of a gimmick...

Posted via CB10
    03-26-13 04:37 PM
    Bone Crunching Mother:
    "Make excuses here, BlackBerry faithful. Consumers in the U.S. expect apps."

If consumers expect the apps, they have to DEMAND them from the app developers. Raise some stink with Netflix, Skype, Instagram, ... Have you been posting on their forums? We wouldn't expect anything less from a demanding person.

I don't complain to the manufacturer of my television or my cable provider when I don't like the programming. I don't complain to Dell when I am having problems with my Microsoft software. Do iPhone users of Instagram denigrate Apple if something their Instagram app has any problems?
    You must mistake me for a newbie.

Yes, I have complained to the developers.

Been around here a while. And I manage IT programs.

And I have given Apple plenty of pain when I deemed necessary...nwhich was once.

Their apps? Perfectly fine.

Posted via CB10
    DawgMan likes this.
    03-26-13 04:44 PM
    Lovely.

Just noticed today there is no battery monitor.

So....anti app brigade.....is the answer to use a calculator?

Posted via CB10
    03-26-13 05:08 PM
    Just wondering how other people use their z10 from an apps perspective.

Having used apps for almost everything on my android device I find with the Z10 my need/desire for apps has pretty much been suppressed by the amazing browser on the Z10.

Granted their are some things that work better in app form.

Has anybody else found the same similar using the Z10?
    My reply is a little more complex than a straight yes. The browser is good enough that it makes having an app less important, however the convenience of the app is nice. An app that has been ported, or not tested however is likely to drain the battery and be more of a hindrance.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-13 05:17 PM
    Actually mine has increased? lol. I'm not a huge app user even less of a games person, but on older BBOS devices i had endomondo. Not so on BB10. lol. Though the brighter side, i have an awesome CB10 app, and an awesome F1 news app. Previously I could at least have 1 of my bank with an app. The others none at all, not even mobile page. But on BB10 i have none at all. But at least i can turn on desktop mode, but still, its cumbersome.
    03-26-13 05:38 PM
    Golf season coming up. Gps app would be nice. Luckily skydroid has sort of been ported.

Can't open a website handily for that.

Good thing BlackBerry has my needs covered through someone else's platform
    Posted via CB10
    03-26-13 05:52 PM
    My reply is a little more complex than a straight yes. The browser is good enough that it makes having an app less important, however the convenience of the app is nice.
    Quite right. Applications running on the smartphone or tablet are very useful when you are away from WiFi, carrier network, or have no need for a data connection at the time. For example, you are in the library researching some topic for a report. Would you prefer a local application (word processor, text editor, bibliographic archive) which typically means extended battery life when you enable "airplane mode"? If you could have a local application and a remote application (remote application meaning any non-local resource accessible via SSH sessions, RDP sessions, etc.), and these applications could share the data (file transfer or cloud service, etc.) this would likely be the preference of many people.

One feature I would like implemented with BlackBerry Balance is support for access to an encrypted media card using an encryption key stored in the work partition of the BlackBerry Z10. The encrypted content could be viewed and edited, as appropriate, on the BlackBerry Z10 work partition and savable only back to the media card or in the work partition, and on the BlackBerry PlayBook via BlackBerry Bridge the media card is accessible tunnelled through the smartphone's work partition and the content can only be saved back to the media card or to the smartphone's work partition or to the tablet only if the tablet has been configured with BlackBerry Balance, otherwise only savable to the smartphone. The complexity of the access matrix needs to be clearly defined but should be implementable.
    03-26-13 05:53 PM
    Posted via CB10
    Battery Guru is your knight in shining armour. I was actually hoping BlackBerry would have licensed Battery Guru from the developer and integrated its monitoring features into the default battery meter of the BlackBerry Z10.
    03-26-13 05:58 PM
    Lovely.

So....anti app brigade.....is the answer to use a calculator?

Posted via CB10
    Don't try and be clever.
    Everybody knows you can't tell what percentage of battery you have left using the calculator because THE CALCULATOR DOESN'T HAVE A PERCENT KEY!!!

Posted via CB10
    03-26-13 06:00 PM
    Golf season coming up. Gps app would be nice. Luckily skydroid has sort of been ported.

Can't open a website handily for that.

Good thing BlackBerry has my needs covered through someone else's platform
    Posted via CB10
    The built-in Compass application features GPS coordinates (longitude and latitude).
    03-26-13 06:02 PM
    I have Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Crackberry. I'm happy

Posted via CB10
    03-26-13 06:03 PM
    Where did I say I had productivity apps that can take the place of a computer?
    I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or anything like that. I genuinely wanted to know.
    03-26-13 06:06 PM
    Don't try and be clever.
    Everybody knows you can't tell what percentage of battery you have left using the calculator because THE CALCULATOR DOESN'T HAVE A PERCENT KEY!!!

Posted via CB10
    ROFLMAO
    03-26-13 06:13 PM
    I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or anything like that. I genuinely wanted to know.
    Neither was I, but I could probably be clearer.

I don't think any smartphone can completely replace a computer just yet. I do enjoy pushing the boundary though, and well-designed utilities help me to that end. A good video chat client, RDM, MS Word clone and cloud storage are key business tools I need.

If i can get things done effectively on the go, then I am happy. I haven;t had to take my laptop with me to basic stuff in years.
    03-26-13 06:27 PM
    Don't try and be clever.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry... that was hilarious...
    03-26-13 06:27 PM
    Considering the overwhelming lack of useful and quality apps. Yes!!!

Posted via CB10
    03-26-13 06:34 PM
    I actually have more apps on my Z10 than on my old Bold 9900. Still, I don't use most of them, as I don't see the need to take pictures of my food before I eat it, to look up transit times when I have a car, to fling birds at pigs or to sign on to one of the dime a dozen messaging apps that spring up like weeds.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-13 06:56 PM
209 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD