Here's the story. Since updating to 10.1 back when it was first released I have started to notice an interesting WiFi issue that is really starting to get on my nerves. It seems as though WiFi will just completely stop working, leaving me unable to search or connect to any WiFi networks until I do a restart of the device.

I just got my original Z10 back from BlackBerry after I sent it out for repair last week and the issue is persisting. According to the work order, all that was done to the phone was a software reflash and then an update to 10.1 again.

Now here is the best part; this exact issue has also been happening on another Z10 that I have been using. Both devices are STL100-3 on Bell Canada. My original Z10 is SIM unlocked and both devices are running 10.1.0.273. Like I said before, I never had this issue before updating to 10.1.

I've taken picures of the issue happening on both phones with other devices to prove that it is just the Z10s that are having this problem. You can view the gallery here.

I tried getting help from BlackBerry's support forums, but never received a response. (LINK HERE). Calling in to my carrier for support resulted in them quickly telling me to just send the phone out for repair.

I am going to post this on /r/blackberry and on CrackBerry's forums in an attempt to get some extra assistance to see if anybody else has had this issue. I have searched extensively online but it seems that I am the only person to have this issue.

I may try the latest leaked OS update on my Z10 to see if that resolves anything, but I do not have high hopes.
    07-06-13 10:17 AM
    I think your carrier may have it right.

The wifi should just work. If it doesn't, there must be something wrong with your unit.

FYI: my Z10 is from Bell and it is unlocked as well. Got .273 on it. It's an STL-100-3.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 10:19 AM
    I think your carrier may have it right.

The wifi should just work. If it doesn't, there must be something wrong with your unit.

Posted via CB10
    I'd agree with them as well if I didn't witness this issue happening on two separate units. Both STL100-3, both on 10.1.0.273
    07-06-13 10:22 AM
    Would it be worth deleting the wifi settings then rebooting and then put the settings back in again?

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 10:23 AM
    Would it be worth deleting the wifi settings then rebooting and then put the settings back in again?

Posted via CB10
    I've already done that on both units, as well as security wipes on both units. It did not fix the issue either time
    07-06-13 10:24 AM
    I'd agree with them as well if I didn't witness this issue happening on two separate units. Both STL100-3, both on 10.1.0.273
    Just go ahead and get it repaired. You'll waste way more time with a hundred time-wasting "solutions" people may recommend. I've used my Z10 on wifi all over western Canada, in the Netherlands, in Mxico, in Switzerland and Turkey. Not one problem. My daughter has used hers throughout Canada and the U.S., no problems.

Just send it in and get it fixed.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 10:26 AM
    That's what happens with leaks, never to sure

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 10:30 AM
    Just go ahead and get it repaired. You'll waste way more time with a hundred time-wasting "solutions" people may recommend. I've used my Z10 on wifi all over western Canada, in the Netherlands, in Mxico, in Switzerland and Turkey. Not one problem. My daughter has used hers throughout Canada and the U.S., no problems.

Just send it in and get it fixed.

Posted via CB10
    I've already sent it in to get fixed, it came back with a work order stating that the software was reflashed (something that I had already done myself)
    07-06-13 10:32 AM
    That's what happens with leaks, never to sure

Posted via CB10
    Neither phone currently has one of the leaked OSes on it, they are both on the official 10.1.0.273. The one that was sent out for repair has that exact OS flashed directly by BlackBerry
    07-06-13 10:34 AM
    I'm on BBOS, and I've noticed wifi peculiarities since BB10 arrived. I have very good wifi at home, yet from time to time my BlackBerry will stop loading web pages over it. It will give some error message (forget exactly which one) indicating not enough network resources. Then when I switch to mobile network it will work again. If I then re-enable wifi, pages will load again. So, I don't think it's just Z10's on some build, I think it's something with the noc or how it's configured for BB10 or some latest build of BB10. (I know BB10 is supposed to be sans BIS, but that doesn't mean BB10 data is not routed through the noc somehow when you use a BB10 BlackBerry. For government spying/surveillance purposes maybe?)
    07-06-13 10:50 AM
    I had an issue with my WiFi dropping back when I first started using my Z10. Turns out, the problem was caused by my router, specifically with DNS. I changed the DNS settings on my Z to use OpenDNS and I haven't had a dropped WiFi signal since. Maybe it will help you.

The OpenDNS addresses to use are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

http://www.opendns.com/

Posted via CB10
    keyboard_cat likes this.
    07-06-13 10:51 AM
    I had an issue with my WiFi dropping back when I first started using my Z10. Turns out, the problem was caused by my router, specifically with DNS. I changed the DNS settings on my Z to use OpenDNS and I haven't had a dropped WiFi signal since. Maybe it will help you.

The OpenDNS addresses to use are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

Internet Security or DNS Service for your Business or Home - OpenDNS

Posted via CB10
    I'll definitely give that a shot, but my issue isn't with WiFi dropping but WiFi not being able to see anything at all. You can check that link in the original post for the gallery to see exactly what I'm talking about.

It seems as though if I stay connected to a hotspot I wont have any issues, but if the phone goes out of range to a network its connected to it sort disables wifi completely (for instance, I will leave home connected to WiFi and drive to work. In order to connect to my work's WiFi I will have to restart the whole phone).
    07-06-13 10:55 AM
    I'll definitely give that a shot, but my issue isn't with WiFi dropping but WiFi not being able to see anything at all. You can check that link in the original post for the gallery to see exactly what I'm talking about.

It seems as though if I stay connected to a hotspot I wont have any issues, but if the phone goes out of range to a network its connected to it sort disables wifi completely (for instance, I will leave home connected to WiFi and drive to work. In order to connect to my work's WiFi I will have to restart the whole phone).
    Just out of curiosity, have you tried deleting the automatic connect feature. That is, I wonder if you have a very common SSID in your collection of stored profiles and the phone is trying to connect to that SSID, but the passwords don't match.

If you never disabled a saved wifi, it is pretty easy. Tap wifi, then tap on the saved icon. Hold your finger on a save wifi ssid, then eventually you will get a menu to stop the autoconnect.

The autoconnect is considered a security problem by some people. It depends how much you want to nitpick. When you have SSIDs set up to autoconnect, the phone does a probe over wifi for that SSID. If the SSID is 123_Oak_Lane, then people know where you live. The MAC is also broadcast. As you drive around town, you phone will randomly connect to whatevever coffee shop chain you frequent. If you use a wifi hotspot that is unique, like a one of a kind motel where you have a woman on the side, the private detective that is sniffing your packets knows where you hang out.
    07-07-13 12:55 AM
    My old Linksys router did the same thing to us. 3 Different os versions on 3 different Verizon Z10's! New Linksys router....Fixed! Was Wrt54g now E4500N...good luck.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 03:43 AM
    Thunder Rodriguez. You may PM me if you like...

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 03:45 AM
    I've had intermittent problems with 2 Z10s and 2 playbooks on my home network, dating back to when we bought our PB's over a year ago. Our wifi ssid would just disappear, but we could still see our neighbour's etc. What's more, other devices in the home would still work on our network. I tried all sorts of security settings, flashed the router, all sorts of things. Like another poster I eventually changed my DNS router settings to use Google and our home network has been much more reliable since. Our Internet provider is Rogers.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 06:38 AM
    I noticed this issue lately as it happened to be for the first time two weeks ago. I have been on 10.1 with Bell since release date so I thought it was my router but then it happened again yesterday trying to connect at a friend's place...bizarre.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 06:47 AM
    OP, depending on how much data your carrier account has, try this. Temporarily turn on HotSpot on one of the Zeds and have the other one connect through the HotSpot. This totally eliminates your home Wi-Fi. See if the problem persists. If it does, this is a phone or OS problem. If not, it is a compatability issue between that OS version and the router firmware.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 07:00 AM
    Try turning off data services in the mobile network settings when you are on wifi. I had issues when it was on but none since doing this.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 07:14 AM
    Used to have problems on my old router with ios, android, PlayBook. Got a linksys e4200 and it fine now... Except for when the damn thing overheats.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 03:08 PM
    Just out of curiosity, have you tried deleting the automatic connect feature. That is, I wonder if you have a very common SSID in your collection of stored profiles and the phone is trying to connect to that SSID, but the passwords don't match.

If you never disabled a saved wifi, it is pretty easy. Tap wifi, then tap on the saved icon. Hold your finger on a save wifi ssid, then eventually you will get a menu to stop the autoconnect.

The autoconnect is considered a security problem by some people. It depends how much you want to nitpick. When you have SSIDs set up to autoconnect, the phone does a probe over wifi for that SSID. If the SSID is 123_Oak_Lane, then people know where you live. The MAC is also broadcast. As you drive around town, you phone will randomly connect to whatevever coffee shop chain you frequent. If you use a wifi hotspot that is unique, like a one of a kind motel where you have a woman on the side, the private detective that is sniffing your packets knows where you hang out.
    The only saved network I have are my two hotspots, and neither have a common name. As shown in the gallery link, the issue is that no networks whatsoever populate when I do a scan.
    07-07-13 04:48 PM
    My old Linksys router did the same thing to us. 3 Different os versions on 3 different Verizon Z10's! New Linksys router....Fixed! Was Wrt54g now E4500N...good luck.

Posted via CB10
    I can connect without issue to my router after I do a full restart of the device
    07-07-13 04:49 PM
    I noticed this issue lately as it happened to be for the first time two weeks ago. I have been on 10.1 with Bell since release date so I thought it was my router but then it happened again yesterday trying to connect at a friend's place...bizarre.

Posted via CB10
    Are you able to see any hotspots at all? My issue is that when I try to search for hotspots it comes up with nothing until I do a restart of the device
    07-07-13 04:50 PM
    OP, depending on how much data your carrier account has, try this. Temporarily turn on HotSpot on one of the Zeds and have the other one connect through the HotSpot. This totally eliminates your home Wi-Fi. See if the problem persists. If it does, this is a phone or OS problem. If not, it is a compatability issue between that OS version and the router firmware.

Posted via CB10
    I can create a hotspot no problem, and other devices can see the hotspot except for the Z10s in question. Restarting the non-hotspot Z10 will allow it to connect to the hotspot Z10
    07-07-13 04:52 PM
    Used to have problems on my old router with ios, android, PlayBook. Got a linksys e4200 and it fine now... Except for when the damn thing overheats.

Posted via CB10
    This is only an issue with my Z10s
    07-07-13 04:53 PM
32 12