Yep same for me with AT&T but I think it was because the store was woefully inept.
    AT&T still grandfathers their unlimited data plan.

Timett, Son of Timett
    04-18-13 01:36 PM
    Yep, I am on AT&T and they let my unlimited plan follow me and changed phones many times. Once the rep messed up and it took two day but my plan was restored. Keep you eye on it.
    04-18-13 01:38 PM
    I'm on Vzw and nothing has changed so far. Still shows unlimited online and my Vzw mobile app. I figured it would change at the beginning of the next billing cycle but 10 days in and no change. I'm not holding my breath it will stay like this though.
    04-18-13 02:12 PM
    I'm not holding my breath it will stay like this though.
    So i'm not the only one.... wonder what VZW has up there sleeves this time.
    04-18-13 02:19 PM
    I have changed devices with ATT many times recently and have kept my unlimited plan very time.
    When I jumped from an Iphone 5 to the Z10, I was told I would not be able to go back to the iPhone and keep my unlimited plan( if I didn't like the Z)
    Not sure if this is true as I was told different by another store/rep.

Turns out to be a non issue as I'm digging the Z going to jump to Q when it comes.

Via Z
    04-18-13 02:22 PM
    During my preorder process online for my Z10 it said I would no longer be able to keep my unlimited data plan do to the fact that I was upgrading to a 4g LTE sim. Disappointed, but I carried on choosing the amount of data and pricing.... Afterwards, I ranted to countless cust reps on the phone as to why I couldn't keep my unlimited plan, with no luck.. So I figure I just gotta deal with it.

But now looking at my latest VZW bill and tracking current data usage, it remains to say i'm still under an Unlimited Data plan??

Not that i'm complaining, but has this happened to anyone else?
    Just talked to a VZW supervisor about this because I currently have a grandfathered unlimited data plan as well. I was told that if I upgrade to ANY new phone I lose my unlimited under their new policy. Question: does anyone know what the average BIS data compression ratio is? I'm trying to estimate my average uncompressed usage. I may have to stay with my 9930 a while.
    04-18-13 03:00 PM
    I'm on Verizon and one of the reps told me a way to keep my unlimited plan when I got my Z. We have 3 smart phones and 1 reg phone my son uses. We share min, and unlimited text. My wife lost unlimited when she got her GS3, my daughters line still has unlimited until she upgrades, I had unlimited as well . When I got the Z I added it to my son's line for 5 min, then switched it to my line. Used his upgrade, and got to keep unlimited min. Made me so happy.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 03:02 PM
    Just talked to a VZW supervisor about this because I currently have a grandfathered unlimited data plan as well. I was told that if I upgrade to ANY new phone I lose my unlimited under their new policy.
    This is exactly what I was told EACH time by a rep, so I went ahead and opted for a 2 gig data plan when i pre-ordered.... yet again, up until now (2nd billing cycle) I'm still classified as 'unlimited data' with VZW w/out having to do any of the phone/line switching ordeal that someone just posted.
    04-18-13 03:09 PM
    I'll add a wrinkle into the foray: Two lines on our account, both had upgrades available, and my fiance and I both used our upgrades to get the Z10 last month from Verizon. When we activated the phones, our account showed that her line switched to the 2 GB plan we had to swallow, but my line (the primary) is still listed as unlimited. I'm keeping an eye on it but hoping Verizon kinda forgets about the whole thing and I can keep my unlimited! (She doesn't use much data so her line shouldn't be a problem.)

Posted via CB10 & loving it!
    04-18-13 03:54 PM
    I wonder if that's part of the issue. Mine is the primary also.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 04:00 PM
    Woooooo unlimited!
    04-18-13 04:20 PM
    Ok, I answered my own question lol. Telus has a data conversion tool to compare between BB and other platforms. The BIS compression is as follows:
    -Emails 10:1
    -IM 6:1
    -Apps/games 10:1
    -Web pages 2.5:1

Pretty significant in in everything. My work phone would go from 3.6GB w/BIS to 19.2 without. My company pays for that so not worried. But with my personal phone it would go from 1.3GB to 4.59GB with my mixed average use. I may decide to stay with my 9930 personal phone and take the Z or Q for work.

TELUS data calculator
    04-18-13 04:44 PM
    I had to open a new line to keep my unlimited plan with Verizon. So now it's like paying 40 instead of 30. I'll take it, since 2gbs or 5 won't cut it with the z10.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 04:59 PM
    I had to open a new line to keep my unlimited plan with Verizon. So now it's like paying 40 instead of 30. I'll take it, since 2gbs or 5 won't cut it with the z10.

Posted via CB10
    So you opened a new line and then activated the Z on your unlimited account?
    04-18-13 05:10 PM
    So you opened a new line and then activated the Z on your unlimited account?
    Depending on your plan, if have an old basic phone around you can put it on the new line to cut the monthly cost. That being said, if you're paying $30+/month plus taxes, in the long run it is cheaper to just buy a phone outright.

The following $30 figure comes from the monthly cost for a basic phone under Verizon's current Share Everything plan.

30x+200=530
    X=~11 months

24-11=13

13x30=$390 more than you had to spend if you keep the new line for the remaining 13 months.

Phone total cost= $956.00 - without taxes. Value includes monthly fee for 24 months, new line activation fee, and new line device cost. Value does not include any state or federal taxes.

Including taxes the cost crosses well over $1,000, versus buying it outright for $530+ taxes.

~ Timett, Son of Timett
    04-18-13 05:31 PM
    I upgraded to a Z10 on VZW and they changed my plan from unlimited to 2GB (Which I knew was coming)
    The Verizon rep who I upgraded with assured me 2gb would be enough for me. But after a week, I had gone through 1.5gb. I called Verizon to change my data plan and thought that if I made a fuss that the woman who set up my plan didn't tell me 4G would consume more data, they would give me a discount of some kind..... they ended up giving me back unlimited data. #Winning

Posted via CB10
    00stryder likes this.
    04-18-13 06:04 PM
    Yeah, I don't know why more people just don't buy outright. It cost me about 637 to get the X10 which is far better than juggling a 2nd unnecessary line.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 06:08 PM
    Mine is also the primary line.
    04-18-13 06:10 PM
    The only way that my family was able to maintain our data plan when I got my Z10 was that the Loyalty Department was about to work around the issue by putting our I pads (the three of us have one and they upgraded to the I phone 5) that are on the account on a 2 year plan while allowing me to upgrade at the $200 price. I had to return the Z10 that I originally bought on the day of launch and pay the restocking fee and reorder it once it became available in their system at the loyalty department because the systems are different we were told. But they were able to work around that issue and said that in store they don't tell the customers that which is why it is best to call and ask them. So far we haven't had any issues with our plan. I've had the new phone for about a week or two now.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 06:37 PM
    The only way that my family was able to maintain our data plan when I got my Z10 was that the Loyalty Department was about to work around the issue by putting our I pads (the three of us have one and they upgraded to the I phone 5) that are on the account on a 2 year plan while allowing me to upgrade at the $200 price. I had to return the Z10 that I originally bought on the day of launch and pay the restocking fee and reorder it once it became available in their system at the loyalty department because the systems are different we were told. But they were able to work around that issue and said that in store they don't tell the customers that which is why it is best to call and ask them. So far we haven't had any issues with our plan. I've had the new phone for about a week or two now.

Posted via CB10
    You're with VZW?
    04-18-13 07:19 PM
    Without BIS my data consumption for my personal phone will have to be curtailed somewhat if I go to a BB10 device. Quite a quandary.
    04-19-13 10:18 AM
    Yes I am with VZW. I was surprised that there was a work around for it. I just wished that I had found out about it before hand so that I wouldn't have had to return the phone just to do the process all over again. But I was about to get $617.00 back so I won't complain.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-13 11:11 AM
    I'm on Verizon and one of the reps told me a way to keep my unlimited plan when I got my Z. We have 3 smart phones and 1 reg phone my son uses. We share min, and unlimited text. My wife lost unlimited when she got her GS3, my daughters line still has unlimited until she upgrades, I had unlimited as well . When I got the Z I added it to my son's line for 5 min, then switched it to my line. Used his upgrade, and got to keep unlimited min. Made me so happy.

Posted via CB10
    I used the same trick to upgrade to my Z10. I wanted to make sure I kept my Unlimited data plan.
    04-19-13 11:32 AM
    I'm on Verizon and I assumed I'd lose my unlimited data, but I didn't. The way it happened for me is that my mother works for Verizon and thusly gets a nice discount so I'm on a plan with her, as well as my impossibly old grandmother, who will never use her upgrade ever. When pre ordering this phone, I didn't have an upgrade on my line and was told that I couldn't transfer the upgrade. So I just got the upgrade on her line, when it got delivered to me I called Verizon immediately and had them activate it on my line instead. So brand new phone for me, and technically since I didn't use MY upgrade on my own line, unlimited data for me too.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-13 12:05 PM
49 12