Hey everyone, I just used the GPS on my Z10 and guess what? It worked perfectly. Found my location in a couple of seconds without using the mobile phone network.

Boom there was the blue dot on the map... and I'm inside the house. Pretty good functionality.

Lots of times I use BlackBerry Maps to get around. Works really well, especially the voice guidance.

Posted via CB10
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    06-04-13 04:55 PM
    Yep, its my first phone with a usable GPS receiver. I remember My Galaxy S... useless.... playbook...useless... 9700 so so.....
    06-04-13 05:23 PM
    Ya i agree , works pretty good!
    06-04-13 05:25 PM
    I think it's the best GPS system on a phone out there!!!

It worked beautifully for me everywhere I've gone since February... all across western Canada, all around Amsterdam, all around Istanbul plus out in the Turkish countryside around Bodrum and Ephesus.

The maps, the voice guidance, the turn-by-turn directions... plus very timely: for example one time in Turkey it told me to take the second exit from the traffic circle just as I was approaching it, then it gave me a reminder just as I came to that second exit.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-13 02:56 PM
    Hey everyone, I just used the GPS on my Z10 and guess what? It worked perfectly. Found my location in a couple of seconds without using the mobile phone network.

Boom there was the blue dot on the map... and I'm inside the house. Pretty good functionality.

Lots of times I use BlackBerry Maps to get around. Works really well, especially the voice guidance.

Posted via CB10
    Without mobile network? I gotta try that... typically it's much longer without mobile network. that was the main problem with the PlayBook

Posted via CB10
    06-06-13 02:58 PM
    I find it superb at getting a lock, much faster than it used to be (thanks 10.1) and it will lock on strongly indoors..."GPS Test" Free version for Android is a good app to use for checking.
    06-06-13 03:01 PM
    Uhh. Really? Where are you getting the maps?

What I mean is... GPS uses satellites, cell nav uses cell towers. You have to be using cell nav to be using Maps as the maps are downloaded as needed from cell towers. You are using GPS in tandem, because they come on together. Buit once you get to a place where there is no reception, unless you have maps for that area already on your phone somewhere... good luck.
    Last edited by scrannel; 06-06-13 at 03:25 PM.
    06-06-13 03:12 PM

What I mean is... GPS uses satellites, cell nav uses cell towers. You have to be using cell nav to be using Maps as the maps are downloaded as needed from cell towers. You are using GPS in tandem, because they come on together. Buit once you get to a place where there is no reception, unless you have maps for that area already on your phone somewhere... good luck.
    Sorry Scrannel, you forgot about wifi. By turning off the mobile service, the Z10 only has its GPS sensors to determine my location. The maps for that location can then be downloaded using wifi.

When mobile data is on, the phone can also use cell tower triangulation to determine my location. And that works great too. I was just emphasizing that the actual GPS sensor seems to work really well.

But, most of the time, I have both on. I just turned off the mobile service to see how good the Z10's built-in GPS sensor is... and the answer is: it is really good.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-13 08:28 PM
    Yup.

It's an awesome GPS. The z10 is just awesome all around.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-13 08:31 PM

I bought Mireo. Offline maps.... data free! amazing app

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    06-06-13 08:54 PM