Hi all, amidst all the bs and disinformation, I thought folks here would like to know that the gps works really REALLY well on my Z10.

INSIDE my house, it snaps to my exact location within 3 - 5 seconds. The map is accurate and the voice directions from the BB Maps app have been accurate and timely, lots of advance notice to get ready to make a turn. I've even stopped using the gps built into my car's dashboard cuz the Z10 is THAT GOOD.
    02-15-13 11:08 AM
    Has anyone really dinged the GPS, or is it the mapping program people are talking about? I assumed it was the latter.
    02-15-13 11:12 AM
    Could be to do with the NFC antennas on the back of the Z10's case.
    02-15-13 11:13 AM
    Has anyone really dinged the GPS, or is it the mapping program people are talking about? I assumed it was the latter.
    Yes I was using BB Maps, but it wouldn't be able to get an accurate fix on my location without using GPS. Yes, I tested this after turning off my mobile network to see how it does without using the mobile network tower triangulation method (aka aGPS).

So my comment is about the gps itself. Also, I'm impressed with the turn-by-turn directions from the BB Maps app.

What??? The nfc antenna has nothing to do with the gps system.
    02-15-13 11:22 AM
    Not at all. It has more to do with the device's ability to get assistance from the phone radio. PlayBook does not have assisted GPS (aGPS) and was at a distinct disadvantage.
    02-15-13 11:28 AM
    I agree, I tested it the other day, on a route I have driven a few times, but not enough to go by memory. It was very sufficient, wasn't a proper GPS replacement, lacks too many features at the moment. It did get me there and back without getting confused with the UK's complicated town centres!
    02-15-13 11:37 AM
    I agree, I tested it the other day, on a route I have driven a few times, but not enough to go by memory. It was very sufficient, wasn't a proper GPS replacement, lacks too many features at the moment. It did get me there and back without getting confused with the UK's complicated town centres!
    Agree and when in the car my Garmin is free no data usage so BlackBerry maps isn't a replacement. A great alternative as the accuracy and turn by turn is excellent.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-15-13 06:35 PM
    INSIDE my house, it snaps to my exact location within 3 - 5 seconds.
    I found the same thing, which is about 3-5 minutes faster than my old phone... lol...

I did see one person complain it takes forever... not for me...
    02-15-13 06:47 PM
    My GPS was working swimmingly until I hit some sort of "dead spot" on a major road while driving home a friend yesterday. It just said the signal was lost, and wouldn't update even after driving back. This was with both the official maps application, as well as the sideloaded Google one which I fired up on the return trip just in case it stopped working again. It was really strange, because my reception seemed just fine. It's as if some paranoid lunatic built an underground bunker underneath Cambie St and put a GPS jammer in there...

Hopefully it was just some weird anomaly and it won't happen again.
    drcrane likes this.
    02-15-13 07:25 PM
    Does anyone have a link to this app? I deleted it when I first was playing with my phone and can't seem to find it in app world.
    02-15-13 10:33 PM
    oh yes the GPS is working quite well for me too, fast and accurate
    02-15-13 10:47 PM
    When I tested GPS via the Maps application my location was pin-pointed very accurately. Furthermore, the Compass application pin-pointed my longitude and latitude to the precise minute. Scary.
    02-15-13 11:29 PM
    i never used android or google map, so coming from the spooty GPS on the OS7, this is great
    02-16-13 07:43 AM