So, question about the GPS.

When the GPS is active, the little GPS icon appears in the corner and disappears a while after closing down BlackBerry Maps or whatever I was using.

My question here is this: when I am using apps which do not use the GPS, is this effectively the same as having the GPS switched off entirely as far as battery life is concerned? As you will all be aware, every little helps as far as the Z10 battery life goes but I am seriously getting annoyed by going in and out of the settings and switching the GPS on and off as and when I need it.

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    07-04-13 04:35 AM
    Good question. Not too sure, but I'm going to test it out today and see if there is any difference in battery life. Will let you know.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-13 07:35 AM
    The icon you speak of indicates that Location Based Services are active. This could be the GPS or it could be Network based location. If the icon is not displayed then the GPS is off. The only exception would be something with deep access to the OS. I haven't checked to see if BlackBerry Protect causes the icon to be displayed when you try to locate the device from the website for example.

One of the features that is coming in 10.2 is geo-fencing. This is the ability for software to be triggered when you enter or leave certain areas like, home, work, etc. To do this the phone will need to have Locations Services on all the time, or turn it on at regular intervals. I don't know what the UI displays will be with that, but I assume the user will be able to turn it on and off, and potentially limit it to Network based location which does not use much more power than having it off.
    07-04-13 08:21 AM
    So, question about the GPS.

... but I am seriously getting annoyed by going in and out of the settings and switching the GPS on and off as and when I need it.

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    Ah, how are you switching GPS on/off manually? Can't find that option on my phone. I see where you can "allow" GPS to be on. And, if you start "Compass", that activates GPS. But I do not see a GPS on/off.

Basically with GPS "on" it's really not in use unless an app requires it.
    07-04-13 08:24 AM
    Ah, how are you switching GPS on/off manually? Can't find that option on my phone. I see where you can "allow" GPS to be on. And, if you start "Compass", that activates GPS. But I do not see a GPS on/off.

Basically with GPS "on" it's really not in use unless an app requires it.
    Go to settings, scroll to location services, select, and then toggle them on or off.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-13 08:40 AM
    The settings doesn't really mean "turn on GPS now"

It merely means "Enable GPS capability on this device", so apps with GPS permission can turn it on when needed

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    07-04-13 09:20 AM