Hey all, suddenly my GPS icon at the top of the homescreen is always on. Even when I have no active frames running. Even after a couple reboots.

It does go away when I turn off location services.

The behavior im used to is that icon is only up when the device is using GPS, for example when I'm using maps.

Any ideas?

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 10:29 AM
    You must have Poynt installed. Open and close it for it to go away, or uninstall if you don't use it.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 10:39 AM
    There's clearly an app running in the background that is accessing your location all the time. Might be Poynt, or something else. Have a look through the apps you've got to see where the culprit might be.

JB
    05-07-13 10:47 AM
    Definitely Poynt. I deleted the app. It was a favorite on my 9900, but not on Z-10. Even with gps on constantly it wouldn't pick up my location and I always had to add manually. Dissatisfied with the Z-10 app.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 10:53 AM
    I do have poynt. Thanks for the help

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 11:40 AM
    It's the weather component of Poynt. Turn weather off and you'll see it disappear and in my case, make gps accurate again cause I couldn't get it working properly since I bought my q10 and installed poynt.
    flyingblackbeard likes this.
    05-07-13 03:36 PM
    It's poynt, I had this problem yesterday and once I uninstalled Poynt it was gone!

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 04:02 PM
    Another reason to stay away from android ports
    05-07-13 04:05 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=801953

Yeah I had same problem still no reply from Dev.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 05:07 PM
    I have the same issue, but it seems to be from Gas Buddy. Every time I use it the gps stays on.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 11:39 PM
    I seem to have the same problem when my battery goes less than 20 percent.
    Could it be that BB protect understands the fact and gives a last known position before the phone dies?

I don't have poynt installed and no other android ports except Skype.
    05-07-13 11:47 PM
    Same thing for me. Did a full restart and still I have my gps on. It's very confusing. My phone has had this on since 11pm last night. I have done nothing different or installed anything new.

Posted from my lackluster Z10
    05-08-13 09:05 AM
    Went through the same thing a few days ago. I thought it was Facebook, then BB Maps and it finally disappeared for good when I deleted Poynt.
    05-08-13 09:15 AM
    I deleted Poynt and that did the trick. Emailing developers.

05-08-13 09:16 AM
    It's poynt, I had this problem yesterday and once I uninstalled Poynt it was gone!

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 09:17 AM
    Same thing for me. Did a full restart and still I have my gps on. It's very confusing. My phone has had this on since 11pm last night. I have done nothing different or installed anything new.

Go to Settings>Location Services>Permissions. Your culprit is in there somewhere.
    mounsey likes this.
    05-08-13 09:17 AM
    Keeps happening since this morning. Could it be 10.1?
    The leak is leaking?
    05-08-13 09:43 AM
    I just deleted Poynt as well this morning when it's a few times it's done the same for me. This morning it just wouldn't go off even when I opened and closed the app. Don't need that garbage on my z10. Don't care what the app is, I'm picky with performance of apps. Poynt is definitely subpar and an Android port to boot.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 11:47 AM
    Do you guys read the posts or what? Lol. Go into poyin's setting and turn off weather. The weather component is what's causing the gps to run all the time since it follows you around to get the most accurate temp. Turn it off, and all is good. Note; if and when you shut down and restart your phone, the gps turns on remains on again even though you've shut off poynts weather. Simply launch poynt then exit it, this will turn the gps off.
    flyingblackbeard likes this.
    05-08-13 01:06 PM
    The guy said he doesn't have poynt.

Happened to me yesterday. I don't have that app, but a reboot fixed that.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 01:10 PM
    Do you guys read the posts or what? Lol. Go into poyin's setting and turn off weather. The weather component is what's causing the gps to run all the time since it follows you around to get the most accurate temp. Turn it off, and all is good. Note; if and when you shut down and restart your phone, the gps turns on remains on again even though you've shut off poynts weather. Simply launch poynt then exit it, this will turn the gps off.
    launching and then exiting is what I normally do and it works. This morning it didn't. That's why I deleted it, because I don't want to pick up my phone and find a dead battery when I really need over some app I dont even use that much anyway. Risk assessment says that's a no no for me, just not worth it.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 01:33 PM
    Fixed this on my phone by in installing Poynt, yeah. Thanks for the suggestion.

Battery was draining too fast too, but that's fixed now.

Sloppy apps like this are what's keeping us from getting headless apps, I'll bet.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 02:06 PM
    Skype was causing this on my Q10. I have to keep opening it then logging off anytime I restart or battery pull.
    05-21-13 02:00 PM
    Skype was causing this on my Q10. I have to keep opening it then logging off anytime I restart or battery pull.
    That's why we need control of app permissions.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 02:03 PM
    You must have Poynt installed. Open and close it for it to go away, or uninstall if you don't use it.
    worked great! thanks!
    any idea why did this happen? never had this issue with poynt before.
    thanks
    Posted via CB10
    06-06-13 06:48 AM
28 12