Well I got Best Buys to replace my Z10 today and wondering if anybody has the best idea how to load it up and see if it's going to work any better then the first one. I'm not going to do the software update it wants to do. My first one was fine for a little over a week when I first got it but then did the OS update and it never worked right after that. Never could back my first one up with link so I guess we will see what happens with this one
    05-23-13 05:00 PM
    Here's the best way to minimise your grief and prolong your life:

1. Take the back cover off the device
    2. Remove the Sim card
    3. Carefully pack your Z10 inside its box
    4. Drive to the store
    5. Find a nice sales person
    6. Ask them to swap your Z10 for one of those nice HTC Ones.

Simple. No battery drain, no random reboots, no data drop-outs, a reliable calendar and contacts program, back-up-able memos, bluetooth that doesn't cut out, Twitter and Facebook that are as steady as a rock and if you happen to want 5 minute email polling, it won't kill your battery.

Life's too short. Good luck!
    05-23-13 05:09 PM
    Saleman had just got himself one of the HTC's. Will give BB one more try before I jump ship. If this one doesn't work right I will be past my 60 days to swap so I will have to do one more so ATT will replace it once I have had 3 bad ones
    05-23-13 05:32 PM

2. Remove the Sim card
    4. Drive to the store

Simple. No battery drain, no random reboots, no data drop-outs, a reliable calendar and contacts program, back-up-able memos, bluetooth that doesn't cut out, Twitter and Facebook that are as steady as a rock and if you happen to want 5 minute email polling, it won't kill your battery.

Exactly! And then you can throw in an sd card and activate it on verizon...oh wait :s

The HTC one has no reported issues right?:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/htc-one-problems/

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    illlya, j21jam6 and ATMJOE like this.
    05-23-13 05:48 PM
    Well I got Best Buys to replace my Z10 today and wondering if anybody has the best idea how to load it up and see if it's going to work any better then the first one. I'm not going to do the software update it wants to do. My first one was fine for a little over a week when I first got it but then did the OS update and it never worked right after that. Never could back my first one up with link so I guess we will see what happens with this one
    I've heard that 1916 contains lots of improvements to the os including battery life... I'm on 1880 personally and it seems to be running great for me...

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 05:53 PM
    Exactly! And then you can throw in an sd card and activate it on verizon...oh wait :s

The HTC one has no reported issues right?:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/htc-one-problems/

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    I wish I had those problems... how about 700 contacts triplicated and interlinked with each other after a link restore, a battery that lasts 5-6 hrs most days and a screen that is separating from the rest of the Z10 body. Its 3 months old so no exchange warranty. And that's just a couple of my gripes

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 06:18 PM
    There are many reports of problems with Link, often associated with Windows 8. If you have access to Win7 or XP that may be more cooperative.

As far as upgrading software goes, without a backup to restore my instinct would be to run it on factory setup for a day or two to check it works, maybe load a few essential contacts. Then do the upgrade and see what happens for another few days. THEN start loading up your third party apps and check again and if all is well you can think about fixing all the other contacts. If it goes bad, you know exactly which step triggered it and we can help you troubleshoot. You also have the option to do a full reload of the OS to factory condition at any point and go back with minimum effort.
    russworman likes this.
    05-23-13 06:23 PM
    I wish I had those problems... how about 700 contacts triplicated and interlinked with each other after a link restore, a battery that lasts 5-6 hrs most days and a screen that is separating from the rest of the Z10 body. Its 3 months old so no exchange warranty. And that's just a couple of my gripes

Posted via CB10
    A screen separating from the chassis after 3 months is a clear warranty claim for defective assembly.
    05-23-13 06:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    Your contact issues weren't resolved with the 10.1 update? Mine were.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    05-23-13 06:34 PM
    Well did the transfer again from my 9900 to the Z. Seemed to go okay. First thing I decided to try was loading password keeper because I use it all the time. No good, goes to install and just stalls and will not load. Tried battery pulls and every thing. Nothing seems to want to fix it. Looks like this one is worse then my first one. Might be time to dump balckberry. Using link with windows 7
    05-23-13 08:44 PM
    well they do load but it takes about 5 mins to install, they download quick but take forever to install
    05-23-13 09:16 PM
    well they do load but it takes about 5 mins to install, they download quick but take forever to install
    The "installing" progress bar is a bit misleading because it always seems to be stalled, but it is installing, the progress bar just isn't very good a showing the progress. This may make it seem like apps take a long time to install, but I rarely sit and wait for the apps to install or update anyways, so I don't usually notice.

As for how to "start right".

1) Install microSIM and microSD card. Turn on the device and set up WiFi, BlackBerry ID, and anything else through the startup setup screens
    2) Check for and install updates. (Optional if you think it might cause problems, maybe wait till more updates get released. But it does come with a lot of bug fixes and other features.) **
    3) Add all your email, linked in, facebook, twitter accounts so they appear in the HUB. And also set up your notification preferences.
    4) All your account contacts should be linked up nicely in the Contacts app. (The most recent update fixed some duplication and misc issues.) If not, clean them up by linking, unlinking, setting profile pictures, etc.
    5) Look for apps you need and download them from BlackBerry World
    6) Have fun!

**Personally I had one instance of a reboot since March, prior to updating, and 2 in the last 2 weeks after updating. So there does seem to be some rebooting issues with certain OS versions. But it is really spotty. Some people never have them. Some people always have them. Others are in between. At this point it seems to be all chance. So if you can live with whatever minor bugs you encounter with the current OS, you can refrain from updating. Otherwise, go for an update. (Following the frequency of updates thus far, you'll likely have to wait at least another month or more for another update.)
    05-23-13 09:42 PM
    On the first one it would download and install on wifi in maybe a min for most any of the bigger downloads this one takes for ever. Opening maps take too much time even. Maybe the update won't hurt this one and maybe help. I don't think it can get worse. Did start looking at review on the S4 so it might be my new phone after I get back into Best Buys today
    05-24-13 09:04 AM
    I have had a Blackberry since 2005 and at one time I ran my own BES and Exchange server. When I have trouble, I (maybe mistakenly) worry that less experienced users would be completely out of luck. I'm using AppRiver hosted Exchange 2007. I have 3,000 contacts, 10,000 email messages in my inbox and probably close to 10,000 calendar entries in the past year alone. Sometimes programs don't expect these numbers, but I ran into a BB user with 30,000 contacts on her BB.

I have had trouble with duplicating contacts and calendar entries with my new Z10. I followed the directions and connected to the Exchange Server via ActiveSync (BES 10 not yet available at my provider), then used the Link software to port over the "other" information. I first could not get the Z10 to download the legacy data so I called Blackberry. Blackberry provides complimentary tech support for the first 14 days after you purchase a new Z10.

Day 1 - Level I Support

Tech support provided a key instruction that differed from the instructions on the Link--never have both devices (old and new) plugged into the computer at the same time. Also, I advise you to disable the passwords on the devices during this process. The query for the password seems to interrupt the steps. Of course with the snippy person on the phone who probably thought I had a mental health condition, the process APPEARED to go flawlessly. She smugly sent me on my way having taught me to read the damn screen. However a couple hours later I figured out how to turn off the twitter "contacts" in the contacts. When I did so, I realized that all the contacts were duplicated when I selected "all" but were not duplicated on the Exchange server nor when I selected just the Exchange account.

Day 1 - Level I Support (Call 2)

I called with the problem and was given some busy work to do that made the problem worse. You know what busy work is. Me: What do you want me to do. Them: Take the computer apart and name each of the parts after your favorite nursery rhyme. Then put them back together and call back tomorrow. Or this one: Them: Do you have any software installed on your device? Me: Of course. Them: That is the problem. Please uninstall all of the software from the device and see if that fixes the problem. (Microsoft loves this support dodge.)

Ok, that was hyperbole, but in reality I just deleted and added the Exchange account a bunch of times. Nothing is more fun than typing in a long server address on a phone over and over again. The results is now I now had a "phantom" duplicate Exchange account, duplicate calendar entries and TRIPLICATE contact entries. The ship was sinking so I told the guy that I was going to call back tomorrow morning--when he would not be working. (No, I didn't tell him that.)

Day 2 - Level I Support

I called back and suggested that maybe I just start all over again with the device. However there was one app that had data on my legacy device that I needed. Backup, wipe, selective restore was the plan. Backup worked S L O W L Y. Beware the new backup also backs up the SD card on your Z10. Backup seemed to work (after all you never really know until you restore it, right?) However the backup also defaults to syncing all music, video, and pictures on the computer and Z10--so head that off before you start if you don't want this behavior. I tried to abort the picture import and got a scary message that implied that if I stopped the import it would delete all the pictures on the phone. I'm still holding my breath, having not yet been able to check whether they are still there. However the security wipe tanked and I got sent to Leve II Support. (By the way, NEVER wipe your Z10 unless you have your Blackberry ID handy. They are a brick without one.

Day 2 - Level II Support

Turned out the Z10 just turned itself off after the wipe. Turned right on. Connected to Exchange was the first task. Seemed to work fine. She let the phone cook for an hour and called me back. The Exchange data was where it was supposed to be and in the right quantity, but otherwise the Z10 was in factory reset status. I still wanted the legacy app data. For some reason she wanted it off the legacy BB. Turns out you can't selectively restore from the mac version of the Link software so I had to go to a different computer to complete the task. After installing both Blackberry Desktop AND Blackberry Link on the Windows PC which required some software updates, I was able to back up the legacy data and restore JUST that data to the Z10. Size of the file: 26kb. Time to successfully import into the Z10 and get it set up: 6 hours. The last person Liz was awesome, so I worked my way to the 25% support person.

However, what I was asking was NOT difficult. It was not something odd or unusual. I'm not the only person who needs to do this. Therefore I rate this transition as unacceptable. If I moved to android or iOS, it would have taken longer.

Thanks to my girlfriend's observations, I have developed the fifty-fifty theorem of tech support. You get a nice person 50% of the time. You get good advice 50% of the time. If my math is right that means that you get a nice & helpful person 25% of the time. So now when they are not nice, I often hang up and call back. If I feel more patient, I hang on and ask some technical questions to see if they know their *** from a hole in the ground or not, and then hang up and call back. The wait time is worth the effort to get to the 25%.
    05-24-13 03:13 PM

2. Remove the Sim card
    4. Drive to the store

How is the keyboard on the HTC One compared to the Z10?
    05-24-13 03:18 PM
    Bartleby and Capcom are a nice duo at the start , you people should leave it that way

no messages anymore ------------------------ NO stop ============== STOP -------- Enjoy the silence
    05-24-13 03:44 PM

2. Remove the Sim card
    4. Drive to the store

Lmao. This was funny! And exactly what I did a couple weeks ago!

Best. Decision. Ever.
    05-24-13 04:04 PM
    I've never had an android phone but did have a samsung tab 2. Hated it so I would assume I'm not going to like a phone with that operating system in it. Plus it's a hard sell to get me to want a phone that you can't remove the battery
    05-24-13 06:53 PM