One of the major negative remarks within many of the reviews was the lack of Gorilla glass in the Z10. Now I have two nieces who have broken their iPhones screens within weeks of getting their device, but I haven’t seen one comment on here yet of one that has cracked.

I was just wondering if anyone has managed to break their Z10 yet and if the lack of this ‘magic glass’ is all its made up to be?
    02-08-13 06:22 AM
    Does the iPhone use Gorilla Glass? I don't think so.
    02-08-13 06:24 AM
    That makes some sense then. It does not explain though why it was such a big deal in many of the reviews.
    02-08-13 06:26 AM
    Gorilla glass isn't needed, the average consumer knows what it is.
    However, when searching for a smartphone the question of "Does this use gorilla glass" evades their mind.
    The Z10 uses strong and durable type of glass which the name of has escaped my mind, unless you are making a phone call and drop it on concrete....
    02-08-13 06:27 AM
    It isn't gorilla glass because they went with a tech that allows the touch panel to be inside the main pane rather then a separate pane of glass. This was done for two reasons. One, it allows the phone over all to be thinner and lighter then it otherwise would have. Two, it allows for the gesture based UI to function better as all 4 bezels just like on the playbook are touch sensitive. It's still hardened and scratch resistant glass, it's just not Corning Gorilla Glass.
    02-08-13 06:31 AM
    Is it just me or do u guys also notice that Z10's glass glares quite a bit?
    02-08-13 05:46 PM
    I don't understand the obsession with gorilla glass. It's just branding, not some breakthrough technology that makes glass immune from breaking. It's as if people think all other glass is inferior or worthless without the gorilla glass brand label. My friend has a GS3 that has a broken screen from a four inch fall.
    NightSlayer likes this.
    02-08-13 05:55 PM
    I watched the "famous" YouTube Z10 drop test. My only problem with this glass is how it didnt function after it cracked.. I have seen many people with cracked iPhones screens (including my daughter) that still function 100% with the crack. And saves a repair bill as long as it isn't bothering them. We will have to get it fixed immediately
    Oh well
    Keith.

It isn't gorilla glass because they went with a tech that allows the touch panel to be inside the main pane rather then a separate pane of glass. This was done for two reasons. One, it allows the phone over all to be thinner and lighter then it otherwise would have. Two, it allows for the gesture based UI to function better as all 4 bezels just like on the playbook are touch sensitive. It's still hardened and scratch resistant glass, it's just not Corning Gorilla Glass.
    02-08-13 06:36 PM
    Okay, what people need to understand is that Gorilla Glass does not protect against minute scratches caused by dust and such. It only protects against hard impact. Sure, the Z10 doesn't have GG, but it does have a little lip that extends all the way around the screen. That should be enough for most users. Hopefully the next one will have Gorilla Glass.
    02-08-13 06:40 PM
    Im pretty sure iphone 5 and galaxy note 2 use gorilla glass
    02-08-13 06:41 PM
    if this glass is anythign like whats on the 9900 and playbook i seriously am not worried, i've dropped my 9900 from 18 feet up and its still in perfect condition, its taken so many bangs and drops and the glass looks as good as the day i bought it.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-08-13 06:46 PM
    I watched the "famous" YouTube Z10 drop test. My only problem with this glass is how it didnt function after it cracked.. I have seen many people with cracked iPhones screens (including my daughter) that still function 100% with the crack. And saves a repair bill as long as it isn't bothering them. We will have to get it fixed immediately
    Oh well
    Keith.
    its somethign new that BB is useing to make the screen assembly thinner and lighter the glass does not sit on the digitizer liek other glass does its a think layer that is part of the glass
    02-08-13 06:49 PM
    Oh well
    Keith.
    This might be due to the touch on lens technology where they touchscreen and the glass is integrated.
    On other phones, the touchscreen/digitizer is a piece of glass that sits under another piece of glass, so even if the glass cracks, you can use the touchscreen which is under it.
    WIth touch on lens, the two are one, so when the glass cracks, so does the touch portion and hence the touch becomes non responsive.

Here is brief article on the tech: Sony Xperia
    (I believe that is the same tech that BB is using)
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-08-13 07:00 PM
    Oh well
    Keith.
    I've seen cracked Z10s that still function. It is actually based on what part of the digitizer you destroy. If the crack happens to be where the digitizer connects with the phone, then it'll probably break. If not, then you can still use it. I've seen phones with a huge crack all over the screen that still functions, while other phones will get a tiny crack in one corner and will not register touch anymore.

its somethign new that BB is useing to make the screen assembly thinner and lighter the glass does not sit on the digitizer liek other glass does its a think layer that is part of the glass
    No it isn't. Yes, that makes it more prone, but the iPhone 5, Nexus 4, and a few Sony phones also use that technology. It doesn't mean that every screen crack will render the digitizer useless. Please don't answer something you don't understand.
    pcguy514 and NightSlayer like this.
    02-08-13 07:03 PM
    Gorilla Glass... Retmal Displays.... all marketing words to keep selling units.... With the number of cracked or broken Iphone screens I have seen I hope it is not Gorilla glass as it is not a good sign for said company.....
    Masahiro likes this.
    02-08-13 07:09 PM
    Gorilla Glass = Monster Cable

Not really better, just better marketing
    straightshooter and Masahiro like this.
    02-08-13 07:20 PM
    I just changed the back plate of an iPhone 4s that broke from a short drop. The thin bit of glass they used to decorate the phone is stuck to a plastic/metal plate. Not sure what they were expecting from that design except for selling a lot of replacement parts.
    02-08-13 07:23 PM
    I don't understand the obsession with gorilla glass. It's just branding, not some breakthrough technology that makes glass immune from breaking. It's as if people think all other glass is inferior or worthless without the gorilla glass brand label. My friend has a GS3 that has a broken screen from a four inch fall.
    Yea for sure... It's just branding... It did at first give me a comforting feeling knowing that it was gorilla glass on my note (my spare device) but that feeling disappeared after a knee high fall... Cracked screen end result...

As for a posting I saw above regarding the 9900... I totally agree that phone was amazing...the amount of times that phone fell and nothing happened to the screen... Sure a little ding on the bezel but I was very impressed. Didn't even had a screen protector on the device.
    02-09-13 02:04 AM
    Remember guys, over half phone breaks happen when someone is coming out of there car and forget the phone is on there lap lol.. I cant remember one phone I didn't at least scuff from doing that.
    02-09-13 02:09 AM
    Used my 9810 for a long time, naked (the phone, not me...lol) and it is still in good shape. no cracks, it has been dropped numerous times.

The z10 I will be more careful with. I bought the 'full coverage' insurance with it, for 2 years worth peace of mind.

I don't care if it is ape glass or alien crust, it's my z10 baby and it rocks!

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-09-13 02:15 AM
    The next gorilla glass 3 looks promising though
    02-09-13 02:17 AM
    I'm not sure gorilla glass is sold as being resistant to cracking. I believe it claims to be very scratch resistant and, because the surface is super smooth finger grease is easy to wipe away.
    02-09-13 02:23 AM
    One of the major negative remarks within many of the reviews was the lack of Gorilla glass in the Z10. Now I have two nieces who have broken their iPhones screens within weeks of getting their device, but I haven�t seen one comment on here yet of one that has cracked.

I was just wondering if anyone has managed to break their Z10 yet and if the lack of this �magic glass� is all its made up to be?
    BlackBerry made the decision to not use Gorilla Glass but instead to use "Touch On Lens" technology to get a thinner screen by combining the touch and glass layers. The Z10 is quite svelte. That's the choice they made for the Z10. Not having Gorilla Glass has not deterred people from buying iPhones.
    02-09-13 03:45 AM
    Gorilla glass i think is a marketing gimmick!

the Nexus 4 is suppose to have gorilla glass... well let me tell you a story..

i had my nexus 4 on my night stand, which is about 3 feet off the ground.. my son, who is 1, was playing around on the bed and he saw my phone and went for it.. it was too late.. he got his hands on it and when i pulled him away the phone slid across the night stand and dropped between my bed and night stand (on a fabric pad i use for my phone and watch so it doesnt scratch on the stand)

this was the result:

i know there was probably some dust down there or whatever it was.. but for it to scratch up this bad was a joke.. i tried putting a screen protector that "covers scratches" but obviously from the picture it didn't work..

so for those that are complaining about the Z10 not having Gorilla Glass... ur just a sucker for marketing!
    02-11-13 09:28 AM
    Gorilla Glass... Retmal Displays.... all marketing words to keep selling units.... With the number of cracked or broken Iphone screens I have seen I hope it is not Gorilla glass as it is not a good sign for said company.....
    uhh, Iphones do not have gorilla glass.

And Gorilla glass isn't scratch proof, its scratch resistant which means given the right situation it will scratch eventually. It is also harder to break gorilla glass than your typical tempered glass, but it does break. So no the marketing for gorilla glass isn't misleading, its the people that misunderstand what it is that makes it misleading.

But if you don't believe me I dare you to drive a nail in a wooden block with your iphones lol.
    02-11-13 11:29 AM
26 12