Seriously, the browser perfectly renders the Google maps site. Do we even need an app created?? Same goes for Facebook which is basically identical to the app and seems to run better from the mobile browser .
    Attached Thumbnails Google Maps for Z10-img_1642.jpg   Google Maps for Z10-img_1643-1-.jpg  
    Rickster1, zyben, MusicMtl and 4 others like this.
    03-26-13 06:08 PM
    huh? Were you able to save the link so that it looks like an app?
    03-26-13 06:14 PM
    Yes you can add a website directly on to the home screen. When on a Web page go to options and you will see 'Add to home screen '

Posted via CB10
    03-26-13 06:18 PM
    How the heck did you get the Google Maps? Please provide a link.
    03-26-13 06:20 PM
    How the heck did you get the Google Maps? Please provide a link.
    He added the website directly per his post 2 minutes before yours. You were probably typing, and he hit "POST" first.

You can also sideload the Google Maps app. How? Dunno. I'm gonna let you Search the forums.
    03-26-13 06:23 PM
    You guys do know you can side load the Android app as well right?

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    03-26-13 06:26 PM
    I haven't really commented on the map discussions, but I'm right there with you, I could careless if an app comes or not, because the Google Maps website works perfectly for me!

I'm lucky enough to have navigation in my truck, so using it off my Z10 while I'm in my personal vehicle ain't happening anyways
    Wow. That is wicked cool. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    So this shows how the browser can be just as effective as an app. Yes, it doesn't work in all cases but who needs the app. Go to google maps, allow it to access your location and BOOM!! There you have it, working google maps. Thanks to the op for bringing this up. Stuff like this should be a sticky or added to the Z10 owners need to know list. Thanks!!!
    03-26-13 06:43 PM
    So this shows how the browser can be just as effective as an app. Yes, it doesn't work in all cases but who needs the app. Go to google maps, allow it to access your location and BOOM!! There you have it, working google maps. Thanks to the op for bringing this up. Stuff like this should be a sticky or added to the Z10 owners need to know list. Thanks!!!
    How do I do turn by turn directions with the web app?
    How do I have the web app access my contact list so I can map directions to their homes?
    How can I have the web app run in the background and alert me when I need to make a turn?

Its absolute madness that many people here refuse to accept the value of good native apps.
    branflakes and dj_matty_s like this.
    03-26-13 06:50 PM
    I've been using the browser version of Google Maps ever since I got my Z10 and it works flawlessly. No need for an app when you've got this IMO

Posted via CB10
    03-26-13 06:54 PM
    I'm mostly familiar with the google maps app on my 9930.

I can ask it to give me directions from "my present location" to a destination. It doesn't give turn by turn directions, but at least it gives a list of turns I need to make, and shows my path on the map, and shows my position on the map, and if moving shows my position as an arrow showing my direction of travel.

Does the web interface use the gps for those things, too? If so, that's pretty darned handy.
    03-26-13 06:59 PM
    Nice but sometimes there is no substitute for a good app over browser experience. Without turn by turn, contact integration and other gps related features, it's honestly useless. HTML5 apps like Grooveshark can get away with this, not Google Maps.
    03-26-13 06:59 PM
    Added to home screen!

Thanks for the tip. I haven't tried Google maps over the browser until now, and it works flawlessly!

Posted via CB10
    shivaji likes this.
    03-26-13 07:01 PM
    Sideloaded app works great
    03-26-13 07:05 PM
    Hey Nabooy,

It is very similar to the maps app (I have an iPhone, my girlfriend as the Z10)... Just do the following on your Z10:

1. Navigate to maps.google.ca

2. Press on the three dots in the corner to access browser settings, and select 'Add to Home Screen'

By the way, google maps on the iPhone sucks battery like crazy, so not necessarily a perfect solution. And by the way, the map app on the Z10 (default app) is actually not that bad (though not as good as google maps).

EDIT
    Not as good as the iPhone version of google maps.
    03-26-13 07:06 PM
    Native Google maps runs much smoother on an iphone than any side loaded or browser version of Google maps here on BlackBerry 10. Even the native map on BlackBerry runs sluggish.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-13 07:08 PM
    This is decent, but there is a lot of functionality missing. The app is outstanding, wish Google would bring it to BB10

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Z10
    03-26-13 07:09 PM
    I have no problem with the BB map app. Just a bonus to have google maps as well.. BB maps gives turn by turn navigation, use it alot and it works perfectly!! So, no problem as far as I can see. Not sure why someone would need it linked to their contacts unless they had never visited the person before. Does one always need directions to Grandma's house everytime you go there? Guess if you have early onset memory loss or something like that!! LOL!!!
    morgansher and TgeekB like this.
    03-26-13 07:16 PM
    With your Blackberry Z10, or Q10 do the following:

Go to the site called:
    maps.google.ca

Here is another site that I think should work:
    maps.google.com

The com site is the US version. The ca site is the Canadian version.

When in the program, click the three dot menu (ooo) on the lower right. Select Add to Home Screen. You can call it Google Maps.

After saving the icon which is the shortcut to the home screen, you can then move around it to where you want it.

If the Blackberry Maps program is registered (accepted), weather it is operating or not, Google Maps should be able to access the phone's GPS. To register Blackberry Maps you need to only run it once and click (tap) to Accept.

To use the Google Maps to its fullest log in to Google. If you do not have a Google account then join them. They give a lot of free services.
    03-26-13 07:22 PM
    While the website does work fine, it would be nice to have a native app.

Question for those of you that side-loaded the Android app: is it supposed to show up as Navigation? I DL'd a BAR from Goodereader, and that is how the icon is labeled. Just figured I'd double check. Sorry for going off topic OP.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-13 07:27 PM
    Sweet. Good tip.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-13 07:33 PM
    I have no problem with the BB map app. Just a bonus to have google maps as well.. BB maps gives turn by turn navigation, use it alot and it works perfectly!! So, no problem as far as I can see. Not sure why someone would need it linked to their contacts unless they had never visited the person before. Does one always need directions to Grandma's house everytime you go there? Guess if you have early onset memory loss or something like that!! LOL!!!
    Think business contacts.....
    q649 and karmaisreality like this.
    03-26-13 07:53 PM
    Sideloading the best thing about my Z10
    03-26-13 08:02 PM
    isnt there turn by turn navigation on the Z10? I'm waiting for the Q10 to drop, but will be relying on the turn by turn. I don't want to have to switch back to my GS3 just to use Google Maps... c'mon son!
    03-26-13 08:06 PM
64 123