Gizmodo has done a comparison of low light performance and rated the Z10 camera a hilarious failure. Frankly I hope this is something that can be fixed with software; camera quality matters these days and my next phone will require a good one.

Blackberry Z10 Camera: The Worst Low-Light Performance We�ve Seen in a Long Time

For the old BlackBerry, a handset's camera was an ancillary feature. But the new hip BlackBerry is supposed to be tuned into how regular people�not just suits�use their phones. The BlackBerry Z10's camera has a chance to prove it's better than the rest. And if our initial low-light camera test is any indication, the camera is a complete failure.

When you're in a dark bar or out on the town at night making memories with your co-workers/friends/family you want your smartphone camera to take a nice photo without having to use flash. This is what low-light performance is all about. As we saw the last time we put a series of flagship phones together, handset shooters have come a long way.

To see if the BlackBerry Z10 could keep up with the pack, we tested its low-light performance against the Apple iPhone 5, Nokia Lumia 920, and Samsung Galaxy S III. We put it to a pretty tough test, burying the above novelty statue in the deepest darkest corner of the office. We didn't use any flash, but if a camera came with built-in night or low-light setting we tried it out to see if it worked better than the automatic setting.

The Z10 didn't even hold the dimmest, most-pathetic light to the other cameras in our test. Look at that photo above on the left. It is an abject and miserable failure. Because this is a particularly difficult shooting setting, all of the photos have problems with noise, distortion, and detail, but we've haven't seen something so crummy as the Z10 in a long time. The Z10 even has a "night" setting that was completely useless. This is some four-years-ago crap.

We've still got some more testing to do with the cameras before we crown a winner�and before we write the Z10 off completely�but this initial test doesn't bode well.
    01-30-13 03:08 PM
    Well damn that was pretty harsh. I agree that even on other sites that the low light pix look pretty horrible, but this guy went in on them lol
    01-30-13 03:10 PM
    didnt read the article, but i have to say... that above picture looks pretty damn bad
    01-30-13 03:14 PM
    I'm sorry, but from what you can actually see in the picture, it's not even centred the same as the others. Was the individual taking the picture just trying to get a bad result ??

Si.
    01-30-13 03:14 PM
    I'm sorry, but from what you can actually see in the picture, it's not even centred the same as the others. Was the individual taking the picture just trying to get a bad result ??

Si.
    Might have been attempting to take alot of pictures from different positions, trying to get it to show up or focus.
    01-30-13 03:16 PM
    I wouldn't trust Gizmodo at all.
    The fact is the whole website is made of BB haters. (I was going to say RIM...)
    meganVee and OrangeAstronaut like this.
    01-30-13 03:18 PM
    Darn. I was looking forward to taking photos in terrible lighting conditions without using the flash. Looks like a deal breaker for me.
    01-30-13 03:21 PM
    You don't have to trust Gizmodo on this. Look at the Crackberry review and you can see that the low light pictures are garbage.
    01-30-13 03:29 PM
    who is taking any of those photos without flash... (save for 920 and it's post processing wizardry) this is why I stopped reading gizmodo (well and because of all the liberal political garbage)
    01-30-13 03:52 PM
    Darn. I was looking forward to taking photos in terrible lighting conditions without using the flash. Looks like a deal breaker for me.
    Hello!?

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    01-30-13 03:56 PM
    make your own conclusions
    Gizmodo's Camera  review - low light performance fail-ezcxguf.jpg
    Gizmodo's Camera  review - low light performance fail-wwzsmmo.jpg
    01-30-13 03:58 PM
    who is taking any of those photos without flash... (save for 920 and it's post processing wizardry) this is why I stopped reading gizmodo (well and because of all the liberal political garbage)
    It's not post processing on the 920, it actually takes in more light, by leaving the shutter open longer or something. Least I think so. But I do kinda agree. The example they used to take pictures isn't what people take low light pictures of... They need examples of hanging out in bars or outside cityscapes at night. Nobody is gonna take a low light picture of a statue in a corner in real life.
    meganVee likes this.
    01-30-13 03:58 PM
    They are clearly NOT trying to tip the scales in another direction... Please...
    01-30-13 04:54 PM

Si.
    I noticed that too!
    01-30-13 04:59 PM
    lol this!, I only take pictures of outdoor things (typically landcape scenery), ill do my own reviews on feb 5th. I do want a good camera though, but ill be the judge. Camera reviews are about as usefull as browser reviews.
    01-30-13 05:15 PM
    make your own conclusions
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EZCXgUf.jpg 
Views:	570 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	133210
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wwZSMMo.jpg 
Views:	601 
Size:	143.4 KB 
ID:	133209
    I love how all the angles or shooting positions were the same except on the Z10. Some how this smells fishy. I know its not the best low light performance but for a fact i know it isnt that bad.
    01-30-13 05:50 PM
    who in the right mind will use phone in this type of conditions.this is not like the other 3 phones are acceptable anyways.

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    01-30-13 05:55 PM
    Someone tell this baffoon that there's settings menu on teh phone thsi aint dumbproof just click.I guess this what happens when you think camera phones are superior to digi cams.This numpty never used a proper camera someone point him to settings.

This guys likes contreversy to get hits on his website ignore list trash will always be trash.stop linking his website in these forums.
    01-30-13 05:58 PM
    who in the right mind will use phone in this type of conditions.this is not like the other 3 phones are acceptable anyways.

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    Actually the Lumia is impressive. But you're right about the conditions.
    01-30-13 06:00 PM
    We already know the camera is not that great and lets not sugar coat it. I think this is one of the features that the hardware team should have really worked on just as the Iphone team did with the 4s. If they can do it why can't BlackBerry. I wonder though if they can patch the camera to make it perform better or if this is the hardware.
    01-30-13 06:01 PM
    Actually the Lumia is impressive. But you're right about the conditions.
    Yeah, the Lumia is definitely shining brightly in this test, but it's rocking camera hasn't made it any more popular of a device. I mean, the SG3 and iPhone have both taken totally unusable pictures under the same circumstances, and while the z10 camera is looking worse, if most of your test sample is taking trash then its not a useful test.
    Flexin likes this.
    01-30-13 06:09 PM
    Looking at those four pics, it seems like one of them produced a mediocre pic and the rest all failed, all these phones come with a flash on them for a reason.

If the camera is failing on stuff that should be working then fair enough there is a problem, but this is just stupid even if you ignore the odd inconsistency in the positioning.
    01-30-13 06:12 PM
    Looks like he focused somewhere else in the z10 pic, probably even cranked down the pic quality settings. This test looks like bullcrap to me. I remember someone shot a video with the dev phone in low light and it looked fine. Same lens for the pics too so I think this shot he has deliberately skewed the image to make the z10 camera look worse than it is.
    01-30-13 06:15 PM
    Gizmodo has done a comparison of low light performance and rated the Z10 camera a hilarious failure. Frankly I hope this is something that can be fixed with software; camera quality matters these days and my next phone will require a good one.

Blackberry Z10 Camera: The Worst Low-Light Performance We�ve Seen in a Long Time

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18d4...jpg/xlarge.jpg
    Camera lens opening duration can be tweaked via software, shooting mode etc, no biggie. Most normal ppl use flash in low light, that's what it's there for,lol.

Back to Giz pics, they are staged. Notice the camera angles and DISTANCE to the subject is NOT the same in each pic. Just look at the subject matter head size in all the pics, that clearly shows distances.
    01-30-13 07:01 PM
    Blackberry should take up Apples lead on theses issues , and sue.
    Masahiro likes this.
    01-30-13 07:05 PM
54 123