Although BB10 is fantastic, I must say that I do mish the instant push for mail, calendar and contacts with my gmail account. I have a normal gmail account, i.e. the free one. I wanted to check if there is a way (either using paid route with a subscription or otherwise) I can get the push aspect back into gmail. I have seen in various posts in the forum that if one have Google Apps (which is a paid service) then the push / Active sync service is allowed on the account. However, I struggle to find how I as a private person can use Google Apps ? if at all.

Are there any solutions out there that people are using to get the full gmail experience as we all have gotten used to with previous BB devices.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 06:41 PM
    G10 has push gmail built in, there is no need to pay for Google service. Since you already have z10, you should set it up and see for your self.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 06:46 PM
    Thanks for your reply. Indeed it has push email built into it but I see that instant delivery to the device is nor happening. This my question if the sync interval (which is 15 minutes at best) is overriding the push email feature of the phone...

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 06:50 PM
    I would like to know the answer to this as well
    02-18-13 06:55 PM
    i've switched from gmail to outlook.com for my email. the calender and email and notes sync flawlessly and there was no issues at all.
    02-18-13 07:07 PM
    And people said BIS was a bad thing!?!?! Welcome to a BISless e-mail experience where you are at the mercy of the mail provider for protocols. Seen some other things where if your phone loses connection with Google servers for a couple polling periods then the phone throws the mail account into a disabled state and you have to enter your password again.
    02-18-13 07:12 PM
    No, BIS was never a bad thing but perhaps a blocker for BlackBerry in the current market where others are providing subscription free plan. Anyway, this is a separate discussion.

I have had a Gmail account for ages and have email from a decade there. Therefore would like to keep both my address and PIM. Is there a way to setup an exchange account and the route Gmail account via it?

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 07:18 PM
    i've switched from gmail to outlook.com for my email. the calender and email and notes sync flawlessly and there was no issues at all.
    Outlook.com lets you create aliases on a single account. Does BB10 support this capability or can you only use your primary outlook address?
    02-18-13 07:19 PM
    Outlook.com lets you create aliases on a single account. Does BB10 support this capability or can you only use your primary outlook address?
    what I did was just setup my gmail to forward to my outlook.com account. The email uses activesync on outlook.com so its almost instant delivery to the device. and the calender is a 2 way sync with multiple calenders natively. I was reluctant to move from Gmail but once I did it was awesome and everything syncs correctly and i can also use outlook 2010 as well and everything is perfectly sync'd with no issues.
    02-18-13 07:26 PM
    These are the kind of decisions you have to make when you use a free mail provider.

Yes, you can switch to outlook.com as others have suggested, but if you like Gmail and want to stay there, consider paying the $5 a month for Google apps. I get real push (EAS) on my devices, including a properly working calendar.

As an aside, I also hooked my own domain to my apps account so that if I should ever choose to leave Gmail, I don't have to set up some forwarding scheme or anything else, I can just set up somewhere else and take down my Apps account.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 07:36 PM
    what are you talking about? I get my emails (Gmail) instantly.
    I tested again before typing this, arrived 3 seconds after sending from my PC.

Thanks for your reply. Indeed it has push email built into it but I see that instant delivery to the device is nor happening. This my question if the sync interval (which is 15 minutes at best) is overriding the push email feature of the phone...

Posted via CB10
    jesse_h likes this.
    02-18-13 07:59 PM
    I don't get this. Don't you just set your email account up as Gmail "pop" & get push?
    02-18-13 08:01 PM
    IMAP is not really a push protocol. It can be push-like, but isn't always reliable. Some people have extremely bad luck with it, like the OP.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 08:06 PM
    My gmail is pushed on my Z10 with activesync, i get it instantaneously. If you have an existing gmail account you can STILL use it as ativesync and it will push to your BB10 device right away. When you are adding a new email account, go into the advanced settings and add the gmail activesync from there.

• Gmail Exchange ActiveSync server address: m.google.com
    • Gmail Exchange ActiveSync domain: google
    • Gmail Exchange ActiveSync user name: Your full Gmail address ([email protected], e.g.)
    • Gmail Exchange ActiveSync password: Your Gmail password
    • Gmail Exchange ActiveSync TLS/SSL required: yes
    Last edited by jesse_h; 02-18-13 at 08:17 PM. Reason: pizza
    02-18-13 08:14 PM
    Good tip, Jesse. However, it's important to note that that capability IS going away soon for free accounts.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 08:20 PM
    Only your primary address.
    02-18-13 08:50 PM
    Good tip, Jesse. However, it's important to note that that capability IS going away soon for free accounts.

Posted via CB10
    Not existing ones that had it though -- only new sign ups.
    jesse_h likes this.
    02-18-13 08:55 PM
    IMAP is not really a push protocol. It can be push-like, but isn't always reliable. Some people have extremely bad luck with it, like the OP.

Posted via CB10
    Quite right. My personal email account is IMAP with IDLE but there is no consistency in regards to the delivery of email to my BlackBerry Z10. Sometimes the message appears within seconds of arriving in the hosted mailbox and other times it takes in excess of 20 minutes.
    02-18-13 08:58 PM
    Not existing ones that had it though -- only new sign ups.
    That's device based though, not account based. After the deadline, new devices cannot be set up with EAS, including removing and reading an existing account. So this is not a viable long-term strategy.
    02-18-13 09:02 PM
    My gmail is pushed on my Z10 with activesync, i get it instantaneously. If you have an existing gmail account you can STILL use it as ativesync and it will push to your BB10 device right away. When you are adding a new email account, go into the advanced settings and add the gmail activesync from there.

• Gmail Exchange ActiveSync server address: m.google.com
    • Gmail Exchange ActiveSync domain: google
    • Gmail Exchange ActiveSync user name: Your full Gmail address ([email protected], e.g.)
    • Gmail Exchange ActiveSync password: Your Gmail password
    • Gmail Exchange ActiveSync TLS/SSL required: yes
    I tried this, but unfortunately I got a 403 error. I've had a GMail account since late last year. Not a big deal to me, since I've switched most of my stuff to Outlook, but I still intend to keep GMail around for certain purposes, so it would be nice to get it on ActiveSync.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 09:08 PM
    This has been discussed in a lot of threads so far. GMAIL only provides active sync on paid accounts

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 10:30 PM
    Some don't think Gmail IMAP is push but I have been getting my Gmail almost instantly. A test - I purchase a few softwares from BlackBerry World and every time I hit purchase I receive my Gmail payment receipt from BlackBerry World instantly.

Anyway, I'm not sure it is really counted as push or not but I am sure getting all my emails in time and quick. I think z10 email performance is completely acceptable and very well done

I am enjoying my z10. The typing experience is simply fabulous. Coming from Iphone5, I can say its typing execution is at least on par, if not better.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 10:44 PM
    Standard Gmail accounts will be configured with IMAP IDLE. These messages will be instant. Same thing as BIS.
    How do you even think BIS got the emails from Gmail in the first place? IMAP IDLE.

Contacts and Calendar are separate from this with their own protocols.
    02-18-13 10:56 PM
    Some don't think Gmail IMAP is push but I have been getting my Gmail almost instantly. A test - I purchase a few softwares from BlackBerry World and every time I hit purchase I receive my Gmail payment receipt from BlackBerry World instantly.

Anyway, I'm not sure it is really counted as push or not but I am sure getting all my emails in time and quick. I think z10 email performance is completely acceptable and very well done

I am enjoying my z10. The typing experience is simply fabulous. Coming from Iphone5, I can say its typing execution is at least on par, if not better.

Posted via CB10
    Whether it's actually push or not is a technical question, not a perception question. Near-instant delivery doesn't necessarily mean it's being pushed to your phone.

The IMAP performance IS good... except when it's not. The OP obviously isn't getting instant delivery. Before I figured out how to switch mine over to EAS, it was hit-and-miss for me. Sometimes mail would come right away, sometimes not, and sometimes I'd have to manually refresh before I'd get something I knew was sitting there. (all of that is the same experience I've had with every other device using IMAP, neither better nor worse)
    02-18-13 11:01 PM
    I subscribe to Google Drive and I had been able to keep the active sync for my Gmail account.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 11:23 PM
26 12