For me, the key motivator for BB10 devices to have super powered specs is that they REALLY multitask: you really can't compare what iOS and Android calls "multitasking" to what BB10 can do... and the underlying architecture of BB10 makes the potential for "cluster" computing on mobile devices a reality which is kind of awesome and mind-boggling if you think about it. I'm sure specific Android or iOS apps could simulate cluster computing but with BB10 it's inate to the OS.

So, a more powerful BB10 device means literally dozens of apps running concurrently multitasking to their hearts content... and when BB10 developers REALLY get their brains around the "invocation framework", sky's the limit. Apps become building-blocks on which other apps can be developed: the software AND business opportunities are really limited only by imagination... and the hardware specs.

I picked up a Nexus 7 FHD yesterday: 1920 x 1200 on a 7" screen? SHARP as print. That Snapdragon S4 800 pushes all those pixels like BUTTAH. So... what's to upgrade after that? Unless Android is rewritten from the ground up, I'm just not sure... well, there's this 802.11ac thing that ramps up wifi speeds substantially but.... WiFi-N is fast enough now, so... what then? I'm sure they'll think of a reason to do a 3rd gen Nexus 7, but you wanna know why tablet sales are flatlining? Because at the top end, like the iPad 4 and Nexus 7, they're as good as human factors need them to be: fast enough, screens are sharp, connectivity is there, all the rest is just apps apps apps.

But with BlackBerry 10 devices and OS, more is better, because BB10 can use it.
    That's the kind of answer I was looking for why better specs are important. You make a very good point!

That being said, BBRY is putting the minimum into their phones hardware wise and it's STILL running the OS smoothly. This is good and bad. It limits the shelf life of current devices but also leaves costs down (though you couldn't tell with the Z10 going for $650 no contract...)

IIRC the OS also limits the amount of simultaneously running apps doesn't it? I would presume this would increase as hardware specs increase.
    shaleem likes this.
    08-08-13 09:47 AM
    1. Specs DON'T matter. Apple already proved this. Advanced users know specs don't matter but unfortunately, most users aren't advanced.
    2. Blackberry should go to developers and put a gun to their heads demanding them to develop. Right. Blackberry now has a phone worthy to develop for. The ball is in the developers court. Can't force the unwilling.
    3. At this point, seems marketing is key. Maybe a commercial showing a competitor phone hooked up to a V8 engine displaying the smoothness of the phone, then a BB10 next to it running just as smooth...........marketing, marketing, marketing. BB has a wonderful phone........just the world isn't aware of how wonderful it is.

Well, "in theory" specs don't matter. Especially IF your ONLY criteria is the current release of all software that's expected to be run on it.

HOWEVER - a.k.a. the "BIG BUT" - HARDWARE SPECS DO MATTER for any and all future releases of everything from the "O/S" to "Information Storage (file sizes keep increasing - i.e. photo, video, etc.)," "Data flow/throughput/bandwidth" (etc.) and "Device Applications," but probably less-so to 'apps.'
    That doesn't mean overdesign specs til the end of time; but it DOES mean "plangineer" the crucial elements to go beyond anticipated S/W upgrade cycle.

For some reason and unlike Apple, BBRY seems especially prone to current specs NOT being able to handle even the next O/S iteration; my 8820 couldn't, neither could my Torch 9800, nor could any OS7 device (nor, for that matter, can many Android devices).

For absolute, irrefutable proof, I offer up just one more: "PlayBook" ... so I don't expect any future BBs to WOW! with release-date specs OR with future S/W upgradeability.

Just my 2 cents from our penny-less country.

Cheers & Keep Moving!
    Last edited by bpmg4u; 08-08-13 at 11:32 AM.
    08-08-13 10:49 AM
    I think i've said this in pretty much every "Specs are key" thread I've seen on here.

Though important, Specs alone DO NOT make a fast-running phone, and here is why:

If you have sufficient specs to run your OS smoothly, every update of said OS for the foreseeable future, why the hell would you pack yourself full of "more specs" when it's completely unnecessary? <--- seriously, someone please answer this.
    For the most part, if we discount games, it is unnecessary. But keep in mind the Playbook - it had half decent specs when it came out, but it wasn't top-of-the-line. When BB10 came out they couldn't upgrade without sacrificing performance. So I don't think your "sufficient specs to run your OS smoothly, every update of said OS for the foreseeable future" is going to be true with BlackBerry.

Second, specs are often what sells a phone. All other things being equal (including price), people will buy either the one with better specs or the one with a brand name they like and trust. With BB, they don't have the brand name, in fact a lot of people wouldn't even consider a BB because "BB is dead" or "their phones can't do anything".

Also, BB doesn't have apps. So what are the reasons people would buy a BB phone? Peek and flow? Don't kid yourself.

This is why, IMO, they need either specs or a low price. History has shown that BB doesn't know what low price means, so they need specs that are up there with the competition.

One of my BIGGEST complaints with my Galaxy Nexus is that it lags like crap sometimes.. but that's because Android is a very bloated OS, which is WHY android phones need quad-core processors and boosted ram just to RUN the damn thing. Apple doesn't need specs because their platform is completely proprietary... it's made to run ONLY on the iPhone, so they've slimmed it down to make it a very efficient device. Presumably, that is BlackBerry's goal as well.
    Have you seen the low-end Android phones running Android 4 with only a single-core processor? You can buy a $150 Android phone that runs reasonably well. Yet BB10 doesn't run on the Playbook.

Shows you how bloated BB10 is.

The ONLY specs on BB10 devices that I would like to see improved is the Battery and the Camera.. I don't care about ram or CPU as long as it runs the OS smoothly. Imagine a BB10 device that would rival the Nokia 1020 for it's Camera, or a Z10 with a 3200mAh battery in a similar form factor. THAT is the phone I want. Long battery life and smooth running, regardless of specs.
    From what I've seen the Z30 won't have any specs that will wow people. It's like they're doing a half-hearted job. I'd love it if they proved me wrong.
    Mady Thiel likes this.
    08-08-13 11:18 AM
    I come from several years of Android. The only app I really miss is my banking app and that us my bank's decision. The biggest thing that bbry could improve is maps. Really blows compared to Google maps on android. The least they could do is make it rotate. I know there are other apps and side loads. Just saying, it makes bbry look bad out of the box.

Posted via CB10
    Good point, that. UNfortunately, "Googlie" have the Maps market VERY well cornered, and they ain't sharin' with BBRY UNlike they are with the fruit company whose iP4 Maps launch was even more embarrassing, but didn't make even a single flinch or Media commentator go negative on the product or company.

You would have thought that, after Apple's "Maps" EFF-UP they'd get working on fixing that ... apparently, Googlie's maps work "just fine, thank you very much," ... at least in iOS.

Lastly, are you sure you don't have "rotate lock" enabled on your device?

Just my 2 cents from our penny-less land.

Cheers & Keep Moving!
    08-08-13 11:27 AM
    I guess maybe we should buy the lastest technology of a tv. Like a 55" plasma tv with 720.
    gosh, who wants a 55" led with 1080p and a lot slimmer.....
    the plasma is good, prob good enough for the average consumer....buy why do they flock and buy the led?
    08-08-13 11:30 AM
    I guess maybe we should buy the lastest technology of a tv. Like a 55" plasma tv with 720.
    gosh, who wants a 55" led with 1080p and a lot slimmer.....
    the plasma is good, prob good enough for the average consumer....buy why do they flock and buy the led?

And I thought I was the only one whose "sarcasm dial" goes ALL the way up to "11" ... hehehe

BTW, who still buys 1080? Isn't it ALL 4K now ...? Even my Betamax plays on that!

Cheers & Keep Moving!
    gitchies and currentodysseys like this.
    08-08-13 11:45 AM
    And I thought I was the only one whose "sarcasm dial" goes ALL the way up to "11" ... hehehe

BTW, who still buys 1080? Isn't it ALL 4K now ...? Even my Betamax plays on that!

Cheers & Keep Moving!
    I'm glad someone understood. I've been called a troll for saying such things, and maybe sarcasm had to do with....
    Good to see fellow Canadian understand it!
    anon(4268859) likes this.
    08-08-13 12:39 PM
    I would recommend people to check out reviews, look at devices and learn what is available in terms of apps etc and then make a purchase. This will save a lot of people a lot of grief and the feeling of regret and others time to read your frustrations.
    All is am saying is that if you did not do your homework, there is no one else to blame.....but your dog :-)
    Have a great weekend everyone !
    08-08-13 11:47 PM
    I love the gestures on BB10 but do the math.. in a corporate world when users can get 50-100 emails a day easy and try to swipe back daily just to find out the massage wasnt important. Corporate is one of the strong hold of BlackBerry and they rely heavily on email and BlackBerry took a step back. We are not talking about high school kid here that may get a handful of emails. Like I said i expect Blackberry to at least dominates the email client side because if its strong/long history on providing emails to mobile users.
    I am sorry but you seriously are off with your comment, at least if you pretend to generalize it. I am a heavy corporate user and I get many more than 100+ emails daily. My z10 is exceptionally efficient in managing my emails, so much so that I some times use it for certain email types more than my PC.

Especially now on the 10.2 it is just Superb. Priority hub, color code for different accounts, interactive toasts, lock screen interactive notifications... The only thing I would like more developed on bb10 mail would be distribution lists for which now I use template emails and a little polishing on search filtering of messages would make it even better. Still universal.searxh of emails and.contact history integration are great ways to make mailing even more productive.

Tie to this the integration of contacts communications online social media integration and calendar - remember with all previous and I really can say my z10 rocks. Not to mention how a great keyboard affects positively time and quality wise the processing and writing of emails and productivity. I could go on like remote file access on my PC through my phone etc. That is important for my emailing using files and info stored on my pc while on the move.

As far as I am concerned, my daily corporate experience contrasts your opinion in practice.

That is my experience and my personal opinion as a result of it, using the z10 for months now on business development corporate capacity.

Another thing I would love to see on BlackBerry mail would be mails filtering rules for automatic filing... I know ow.i am dreaming.though but if they pulled that one off as well... :-o
    Last edited by currentodysseys; 08-09-13 at 05:13 PM.
    bradu1 likes this.
    08-09-13 05:00 PM
    Apps.
    Iphone for the win. First, they work well. 2nd, they get them before everyone else. 3rd, they get them all. 4th, I trust the source. (naive maybe a bit)

Battery Life.
    Win for Galaxy. The S4 delivers battery life to match or better most other phones, even those with lesser specs and smaller screens. (don't turn off every feature on your Z and tell me you get 3 weeks between charges - buy a pager ffs!) Plus, it is removable as well...

UI.
    Z10, hands down. I don't believe any other OS out right now can be navigated as smoothly as the Z. It really does flow and will only improve.

Feel.
    Nothing fits quite as well in my hand as a Z. S4 is a bit clumsy feeling, iPhone feels a bit small and slippery. Even the Q doesn't do it for me.

Overall - give me some of the S4 customization, the Apple store, and BB10 on a Zed built by HTC and it would be pretty close to perfect.

BTW this thread is pointless until Thor starts replying here.
    Unhappy? Start by chirping here http://twitter.com/#!/blackberryhelp
    08-09-13 08:21 PM
    And Apple is doing what exactly?

Posted via BlackBerry Z10
    Selling a cr@pload of phones.

Their phones can use skype, play netflix movies, actually has kindle (no port), and the apple store is without match in the library of apps available.

Oh, and did I mention selling a cr@pload of phones? yea. They are. And they are taking blackberry's place in the business world.

And they are selling a cr@pload of phones, wanted to throw that in.
    08-09-13 09:44 PM
    Yup I agree 100%

Posted Via BlackBerry Q10
    08-11-13 11:55 AM
187 ... 678