View Poll Results: Is your Z10 rebooting randomly? (leave a comment as to how often)

Voters
728. You may not vote on this poll
  • No [Verizon]

43 5.91%
  • No [Non-Verizon, Up-to-date OS (10.0.10.85+)]

276 37.91%
  • No [Non-Verizon, Older OS (less than 10.0.10.85)]

14 1.92%
  • Yes [Verizon]

169 23.21%
  • Yes [Non-Verizon, Up-to-date OS (10.0.10.85+)]

206 28.30%
  • Yes [Non-Verizon, Older OS (less than 10.0.10.85)]

20 2.75%
    This thread is being discontinued. The findings do suggest a downward trend in the number of reboots in newer software releases. I think it's safe to assume that the new releases have partially addressed the issue, and since we have BB's attention, I am sure that they will continue to improve the situation for those affected. Thanks for contributing!

In addition to the survey, please add the following:

How often is your phone rebooting randomly?

Do you have any ported Android apps on your phone?

Are you using an SD Card? If so, is it new or old? Has the phone rebooted when used without the SD card?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Percentage of users experiencing reboots (Last Update: 350 Votes):

Verizon: ~70%
    Non-Verizon (newer OS): ~30%
    Non-Verizon (older OS): ~65%

*Stats seem to indicate that newer OS versions have addressed the majority of rebooting issues. Blackberry is investigating further (see link below).
    *Keep in mind that users with issues are more likely to be on these forums and vote, so this is not meant to represent a real world prevalence figure!

We now have Blackberry's attention! Keep the data coming

Hey guys - Check out this link from the BB Support Forums:

KB34039-BlackBerry Z10 smartphone reboots randomly during normal usage
    A Verizon update has been confirmed, and should be rolling out shortly! I'll make a new poll (if someone hasn't already) in a few days to see whether or not that solves the reboot issues.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...erizon-790918/
    Last edited by BannedForNoReason2; 04-03-13 at 07:06 PM.
    04-02-13 08:53 AM
    No battery issues.

Rebooting stopped after update in February.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 08:55 AM
    Thanks for voting, everyone. Let's get some more data. Hopefully we can see a trend! Also, please do comment as to how often your phone reboots randomly, and if it has impacted your battery life. Thanks
    04-02-13 09:05 AM
    Yes. Verizon. Drives me nuts. Also freezes in the camera screen from time to time.
    04-02-13 09:06 AM
    Wow, I'm really surprised to see that many people who aren't on Verizon, with new software, are also facing this issue. I guess it isn't limited to Verizon or old software afterall. Maybe this isn't the trend though, 9 votes isn't enough to tell. Let's hope for a larger turn out.
    04-02-13 09:08 AM
    T-mobile with. 85, had two reboots within 5 mins yesterday. Battery doesn't seem to be affected by the reboot like on the older devices.
    04-02-13 09:10 AM
    T-mobile with. 85, had two reboots within 5 mins yesterday. Battery doesn't seem to be affected by the reboot like on the older devices.
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I'm starting to think this might be a bad hardware batch or something? I'm also on tmobile with .85 and haven't had a single random reboot since I got the phone. Did you get the small update yesterday, by any chance? Any reboots since then?
    04-02-13 09:11 AM
    Since March 5th my phone has never rebooted on it's own in a crash-like manner. It may have rebooted a few times during OS updates but that is to be expected.

I have a multitude of sideloaded Android apps on the phone and again, no rebooting. Once when I tried about 5 or 6 self converted Android apps that are obviously not compatible with the Z10 the phone froze and I had to do a battery pull. But again, I had just crashed the Android Player about 5 or 6 times in a row.

I don't usually run with Active Frames up and running. I have not bridged my Z10 to my PlayBook. In case it is relevant, I do not have Battery Guru but do have BeWeather installed.

My phone is a STL100-3. With Rogers in a town without LTE. I have LTE enabled but I always get a 4G signal instead. The phone has software release 10.0.10.85.

I typically run my phone with default network settings, default brightness, NFC off, Bluetooth off and I am connected to a Wifi access point at least 80% of the day.

My BlackBerry Hub is connected to BBM, a personal POP account hosted by GoDaddy, my Gmail account using IMAP, a business POP account connected to a local Internet provider (Nexicom), my corporate Exchange 2003 server using ActiveSync, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
    04-02-13 09:14 AM
    The frequency is increasing. At first it was every 2-3 days. Now it is more than once per day. I use a bluetooth headset almost constantly, so every time it reboots I get the "Phone is disconnected" warning in my ear. Take my phone out of my pocket and see the BB logo and reboot in progress.

Most times it happens when i'm not using it, but many times it has rebooted while in use - even during a phone call once.

Edit:

Battery life is poor. If I use an app like BB Maps, a thirty minute trip will use almost half of my battery's charge, if not plugged into a charger. Typical heavy use (browsing, email, tasks, evernote, etc.) and I'll get about 5-6 hours. Moderate use gives me 7-8 hours. I don't usually dip below moderate use.

I live in a larger city, so 4G LTE is almost always available. I haven't done any of the scaling back to promote longer battery life. I don't leave apps running, but I download and use any app that I see fit.

This is also how I operate my 9900. The 9900 will make it for about 12 hours before the battery is depleted. Under the similar conditions the Z10 will make it 6 hours.

Edit 2:

Yes, I have ported android apps. I also have side loaded apps. The reboots did occur prior to the side loaded apps, but not sure about the ported apps.

Yes, I have an old SD card (32 G) that I've transferred from my Bold 9900 (that's how I installed contacts, calendar, etc., onto the Z10). I have not formatted this card after installing it in the Z10.

I never have used the Z10 without the SD card installed.
    Last edited by niss63; 04-02-13 at 09:32 AM.
    JPB23 likes this.
    04-02-13 09:14 AM
    I'm on Verizon. I've had two random reboots. I pulled all the music off my sd card, put it on the device itself, backed up the sd card, then used the z10 to format the media card. I usually leave the browser or something open so I'll know if it reboots, and so far, so good.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 09:15 AM
    The frequency is increasing. At first it was every 2-3 days. Now it is more than once per day. I use a bluetooth headset almost constantly, so every time it reboots I get the "Phone is disconnected" warning in my ear. Take my phone out of my pocket and see the BB logo and reboot in progress.

Most times it happens when i'm not using it, but many times it has rebooted while in use - even during a phone call once.
    This might be a big clue! Has it ever rebooted when the bluetooth headset isn't connected?
    04-02-13 09:16 AM
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I'm starting to think this might be a bad hardware batch or something? I'm also on tmobile with .85 and haven't had a single random reboot since I got the phone. Did you get the small update yesterday, by any chance? Any reboots since then?
    Both reboots were a few hours after installing the update. 1st reboot happened on launch day, 7-8 more random ones that I've noticed since then. Unless you are actively using the phone when it happens, it is easy to miss since reboots are so fast now.
    04-02-13 09:18 AM
    I'm on Verizon. I've had two random reboots. I pulled all the music off my sd card, put it on the device itself, backed up the sd card, then used the z10 to format the media card. I usually leave the browser or something open so I'll know if it reboots, and so far, so good.
    Thanks! I just added information about SD cards in the OP.

Also, it seems that Verizon users definitely do experience more of the rebooting issue than others, but there aren't enough votes just yet to be sure.
    04-02-13 09:19 AM
    This might be a big clue! Has it ever rebooted when the bluetooth headset isn't connected?
    Had it reboot 2 times when connected to my car streaming music. I figured that it was a bluetooth issue, but all of the other crashes occurred with bluetooth off.
    04-02-13 09:20 AM
    Had it reboot 2 times when connected to my car streaming music. I figured that it was a bluetooth issue, but all of the other crashes occurred with bluetooth off.
    Do you have any sideloaded Android apps?
    04-02-13 09:21 AM
    Mine has rebooted just a couple times in the last 5 days (2-3 times). I don't have any sideloaded android apps, and I have a 64 GB micro sd in there which has been there the whole time.

Thanks for making this thread!!!
    04-02-13 09:22 AM
    Not 100% sure. One thing I have noticed is that when I put it into sleep mode at night, I haven't had a reboot - so far.
    04-02-13 09:26 AM
    Mine has rebooted just a couple times in the last 5 days (2-3 times). I don't have any sideloaded android apps, and I have a 64 GB micro sd in there which has been there the whole time.

Thanks for making this thread!!!
    You're welcome! Thanks for the feedback

For the record, I'm running .85 on tmobile with a brand new 16gb SD card that has been in there the whole time, and I haven't had a single reboot. It's interesting to see that so many people have.
    04-02-13 09:28 AM
    This Thread is craazzzzyyyyyyy!

I cant believe people are getting so many random reboots! I have been using my Z10 for 2 months and I've never experienced what you guys are. (STL-1003, Rogers 10.0.10.85)

I always have active frames open and i fidget and use my Z10 all the time. It boggles my mind that this is happening so often to you folks.

I think mine rebooted randomly once and that was because of a horrible cheap game from Blackberry World (it was an android port) once my phone booted again i deleted that app right away and have never had an issue since. I have sooo many other games and apps that work perfectly (Native and Ports).

So maybe you guys have something installed that is causing instability...?
    04-02-13 09:29 AM
    I havn't noticed any rebooting during the day but when I leave the phone on charge over nite in the morning I have found it has rebooted itself every day for the 4 days I have had the phone
    Apps that I intentionally left open are gone
    Once I had bedside mode on with an alarm set & it was shut down & alarm never went off
    All the apps I have loaded come from BBW & I have intentionally stayed away from any known android apps for now
    Version 004 vzw 10.0.9.442
    Signal - about 3 bars should be more but need to know actual db to know if this is actually good signal or not & os doesn't give that info that I can find
    04-02-13 09:29 AM
    Do you have any sideloaded Android apps?
    Nope, and no android apps from bb world either
    04-02-13 09:31 AM
    This Thread is craazzzzyyyyyyy!
    Exactly. This is what I don't understand either. I haven't had a single reboot yet, and yet a huge percentage of people have. Obviously those with issues are more likely to join the forum, but still...

Also, it's interesting to note that while about 50% of non-verizon users are experiencing these reboots, an overwhelming majority of Verizon users have the issue!
    04-02-13 09:32 AM
    How often is your phone rebooting randomly?
    Once per morning before I'd wake up, until March 30th

Do you have any ported Android apps on your phone?
    Yes (more on that later)

Are you using an SD Card? If so, is it new or old? Has the phone rebooted when used without the SD card?
    Nope, didn't get a chance to buy a new one yet.

Oddly enough though, the reboots stopped once I uninstalled 2 of my Android Ports. I reinstalled one of them (Pandora), but not the other. No reboots since.
    04-02-13 09:33 AM
    I think one of the only things you guys can try to do it connect your Z10 to BlackBerry Link:

-Backup all your data (if you don't want to start fresh)
    -Reload phone to factory settings (reinstall operating system + any updates)
    -Restore from your backup file
    -Limit your android ports.. try and narrow down what could be causing this issue.

This could clear out some bugs that may be lingering possibly from the version released by your carriers : S
    04-02-13 09:36 AM
    As I stated in another thread, I'm on Verizon with the latest update. My 3 reboots have been at 3 random locations using 3 random apps. None of the issues occurred over wi fi. I was texting the first time, take a pic using time shift the second time and the last was just a random reboots while the phone sat on my desk at work. There is no rhyme or reason to the reboots....they just happen randomly.
    04-02-13 09:36 AM
987 123 ...