Hello,

First--I am planning on getting a Z10 whenever I can (USA), but I'm eager to hear from anyone who can compare the Gestures to those of the Palm Pre.

I LOVED my Palm Pre, and my wife still clings to hers, but it is wildly outdated. I moved to an HTC EVO, and then after my disgust with that I switched to a Bold 9930. While I like the 9930, the interface is really outdated by my way of thinking.

But that's the exact reason I'm so looking forward to the Z10. In my opinion, the Pre RULED the smartphone interface, and that was largely due to its very intuitive and functional Gesture-based UI. From what I've seen and read, it seems like the Z10 is the only system that even comes close.

So, I was hoping that someone who has used the Pre in the past, and has gotten a chance to try the Z10 can make a comparison.

The other issue...keyboard. That's one of the reasons I went to the Bold--was that the EVO's on-screen keyboard sucked. I enjoyed the Pre keyboard, and wanted to get back to that--so I went to the Bold. That being said (and the reason I am not considering the Q10) is that I HATE that the BB physical keyboard requires a 'Shift' to use a comma or period. I just can't get used to that.

KAM
    02-08-13 10:02 AM
    Wow, maybe there aren't any users of the Pre who haven't sunk into a deep depression, and are able to function...

Anyone?
    02-08-13 10:33 AM
    If you like the pre and need a real keyboard I would wait for the Q. Should be very close to what you desire. I had a playbook, and yes the qnx bb10 is very similar to my pre experience.
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    02-08-13 11:19 AM
    If you like the pre and need a real keyboard I would wait for the Q. Should be very close to what you desire. I had a playbook, and yes the qnx bb10 is very similar to my pre experience.
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    Thanks for the Reply.

I don't need a physical keyboard, I just don't want a horrible touchscreen. By all accounts the Z10 has a great touchscreen keyboard.

As I mentioned, the Q10 has the same problem (for me) due to lacking a non-shift period and comma, which really hinders my typing (personal preference). Also, the screen on my Bold 9930 has proven to be a bit small and hard for me to read anything more than a quick blurb.

I also have a BB Playbook, and some of the Gestures on that are very similar to WebOS--essentially the Playbook has the "card" system, which is nice.

One of the features I've missed on WebOS was the ability to delete a message (text or e-mail) by simply swiping it to the side. I really find the Press-Hold, Press Delete interface to be really cumbersome on the Bold 9930. Not sure how that works on BB10.

Bottom line for me: Efficient and effective gestures are what's needed in a modern Smart Phone, and I've been disappointed by Android and BB OS7 in that regard. I haven't really tried iphones.

BB10 looks to have taken major steps in that direction with the flow and peek, so that's great.

KAM
    02-08-13 12:08 PM
    I had a Pre 2 long ago. BB10 is a much nicer looking OS. It runs smoother, and the gestures are much more intuitive since you're essentially performing part of them on the screen. No ridiculous small "Gesture area."

I think anyone who has used WebOS in the past will love BB10.

Edit: The delete gesture, sadly, is missing from BB10. However, that's a pretty small issue, to be honest.
    02-08-13 12:18 PM
    I had a Pre 2 long ago. BB10 is a much nicer looking OS. It runs smoother, and the gestures are much more intuitive since you're essentially performing part of them on the screen. No ridiculous small "Gesture area."

I think anyone who has used WebOS in the past will love BB10.

Edit: The delete gesture, sadly, is missing from BB10. However, that's a pretty small issue, to be honest.
    Well, there was a small gesture area for controls, but the rest of the screen allowed for various gestures--like flipping between cards or deleting things.

On that...it isn't a small issue for me. Well, I should say, that the way it works on my Bold is a problem. If there is a quick and efficient, but different way it works on BB10, I'd be satisfied with that. My point is--when I'm done with something (a message), I want it gone, and I certainly don't want to take multiple steps to delete it.

That being said, deleting multiple messages on the Pre (as I recall) was quite repetitive.

But, I'm sure that all the gesturing that is an inherent part of BB10 will appeal to me.

KAM
    02-08-13 12:25 PM
    Deleting multiple messages on BB10 is much simpler than it was on WebOS. You just hold down a message until the menu comes up. Click "Select multiple" and select all the messages, then just hold down and hit delete on the side. From what I remember on my Pre 2, I had to swipe each message off separately.

Multitasking is also much better on BB10, probably due to the extra RAM.
    02-08-13 12:41 PM
    Deleting multiple messages on BB10 is much simpler than it was on WebOS. You just hold down a message until the menu comes up. Click "Select multiple" and select all the messages, then just hold down and hit delete on the side. From what I remember on my Pre 2, I had to swipe each message off separately.

Multitasking is also much better on BB10, probably due to the extra RAM.
    Yes, the Multi-tasking was a great design in WebOS, but especially with the original Pre, the Hardware was not powerful enough to do a lot of it.

I agree--deleting multiple messages on the Pre did require that many swipes, but for a given message--one quick swipe and it was gone--one step. I think if you could select multiple message and then swipe, that would be great. It doesn't sound like there is the "single action" delete that I'm looking for, but that's just ONE thing.

You said "Hit delete on the side." So, it sounds like there's a "trash" button. That could work.

KAM
    02-08-13 01:08 PM
    Hello,

Ah, I found it in one of Kevin's Videos. You Tap and Hold (not so great) and can drag a message to the trashcan. That's not super-efficient, but not terrible. There are also other options (forward, file, etc). If the Trashcan was positioned to be the first thing you hit, that would replicate the "swipe to delete" fairly well (although still requiring the Tap and Hold.

KAM
    02-08-13 01:25 PM