Ok, in a previous post (before I was banned for calling someone Commander Cornflakes), I had posted about my experience with the Z10 coming from the iphone 5 and then returning the Z10 the next day because I wasn't happy with it.

Well, I decided to give it a second try and have had it for about a week now. I thought I would give an update about how I feel about the device having owned it for a week now.

Overall, my second time around was a much better experience than the first. I think my issue the first time was I was so used to using IOS for the last 6 years that it was frustrating trying to learn the little tips and tricks with BB 10. Once I got a handle on the gesturing, typing, using the HUB, the experience became much more gratifying. Here are some key observations I have about the Z10 vs the Iphone 5.

1) Hardware: I think the Z10 is vastly superior to the iphone 5 in terms of the actual device. It's faster. I like the screen size better. It feels lighter. Although, in terms of build quality, I think the iphone feels a bit more durable than the Z10. The Z10 feels plasticky while the iphone is built with aluminum and glass.

2) Battery life: I feel they are both about the same. Maybe iphone 5 has a slight edge in longer lasting power, but I'm always near a power source so that hasn't really been an issue for me.

3) The desktop software: Plain and simple, Blackberry Link is garbage. I have an Macbook so I use itunes and iphotos to organize my music and photos. With my iphone, those two programs did a great job syncing my media. Blackberry Link simply does not work well with the Z10. With my music, is doubling, sometimes tripling my songs and photos. I finally figured out it had something to do with playlists and albums. In the end, I just ended up disabling auto sync. I don't like to do this because now I have to manually drag new songs/photos to my BB. I would prefer for it to do it automatically.

4) App selection and sideloading: Again, as I mentioned before, the selection of apps available is not good. Only about 10% of the apps I used for iphone is available on Z10. Hopefully this improves over time. And with sideloading, I just found it to be too buggy. Half the apps I sideloaded don't even work. And these are converted apps I took from the Goodreader site.

5) Browsing: Hands down, the Z10 browser is way better than the iphone. Its way faster and flash capable. However, that's where the benefit ends. Because there are many apps not available on BB, I'm forced to use the mobile sites in place of the apps (Best Buy, Toronto Star, ebay, etc). The problem is I find many mobile sites don't work on the BB. For example, Toronto Star and Red Flag Deals. These are two apps I used religiously on the iphone. Because they don't exist for BB 10, I had to use the mobile site. However, the mobile sites don't work! I think it has to do with browser recognition from the websites. I know this isn't Blackberry's fault, but to an end user, I don't care whose fault it is. I just want to be able to read news from the Toronto Star or look for deals on RFD without having to go to the full site using my smartphone.

6) Another thing I'm going to mention. Not a huge deal, but what's up with the cheap headphones that doesn't have volume control or track forward/rewind? If I'm paying $650 for a phone, this should not have been omitted.

Overall, I decided I'm going to keep the Z10 and get rid of my iphone 5. The way I look at it, I do like the Z10 better, I'm getting sick of being dependent on Apple's ecosystem and I was just getting bored with the iphone in general. I do hope they really improve the app situation with BB. Worst case scenario if it doesn't improve, I can probably hold out for iphone 6 next year.
    Last edited by Mister Sir; 02-20-13 at 11:42 AM.
    02-20-13 11:26 AM
    LOL. Kind of shows anyone has to give anything a little time. BTW I can't believe you got banned for calling someone captain cornflakes lol.
    alan510 likes this.
    02-20-13 11:32 AM
    Great that you gave the Z10 another shot. Link is, indeed the "weakest link" at this point, though I hope yesterday's update addresses some of the issues you bring up.

Also, here's hoping the apps situation improves soon.
    meganVee likes this.
    02-20-13 11:36 AM
    Hi well I have been an iphone user as well as a blackberry user. I have started out with the iPhone and as for the BB is started out with the curve - 9000 - 9700 and then held out for the Z10.

I agree the phone is good.... but yet I would not give up my iphone for the BB. You can try a test if you have both of them around.... its just the hardware for certain stuff like call quality is way better on the iPhone.

Make a call from both phones to the same person... also USE the speaker phone and ask them... and you will know. I have done some research on this as well and the first thing for me is the sound quality, build quality, apps etc.

I have been trying to wean off the BBM world and I have finally done it today... I do keep 2 phones with me anyways..... but i think I will get another iPhone or a galaxy 4.

Back the Z10 goes... the app selection is rubbish... The phone is buggy too and apart from all that I dont want to a PIN associated with the phone as I have jsut about had it switching devices this weekend :P
    alpha beta gaga likes this.
    02-20-13 11:37 AM
    As far as the websites go, can you access them by going into the browser settings and switching on "Desktop Mode"?
    02-20-13 11:40 AM
    LOL...I remember that thread. Glad to see you gave it a chance and are overall pleased with it.

Welcome to the Darkside.
    02-20-13 11:40 AM
    Great that you gave the Z10 another shot. Link is, indeed the "weakest link" at this point, though I hope yesterday's update addresses some of the issues you bring up.

Also, here's hoping the apps situation improves soon.
    Love it!
    I propose our Forums shorthand for Link be WL.

Posted via CB10
    meganVee likes this.
    02-20-13 11:43 AM
    I have had a hard time finding mobile sites on this phone too. I spent an hour trying to find google Reader and then gave up. I finally stumbled upon it accidentally and put it on my home screen. I actually like using Mobile sites, so lack of apps does not bother me, but there is a long way to go.

As for synching, I have never been into auto synching music and photos, but Link works perfectly for this. I had to turn off music synching though as I prefer good old drag-and-drop.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 11:47 AM
    HAHA, who did you call Commander Cornflakes? That's funny.
    02-20-13 11:47 AM
    Mister Sir, I'm curious why you don't just browse the normal web site? Mobile sites are terrible at the best of times and with the Z10 you can disable the mobile browser webpage loads and view AND navigate the full on website.

This is the part where I always drop this comment when going head to head with iOS...........the Z10 doesn't need an app to work. It'll do the full on website just fine. In fact it loads CB faster than my Laptop.

I haven't really used Link all that much so I'm not aware of the issue you raised. I prefer to 'sync' everything using Box now.

I truly believe you won't regret staying with the 10. I've had to work on my share of iOS and a couple of Droid variants and BB is just simply it for me.
    02-20-13 11:49 AM
    5) Browsing: Hands down, the Z10 browser is way better than the iphone. Its way faster and flash capable. However, that's where the benefit ends. Because there are many apps not available on BB, I'm forced to use the mobile sites in place of the apps (Best Buy, Toronto Star, ebay, etc). The problem is I find many mobile sites don't work on the BB. For example, Toronto Star and Red Flag Deals. These are two apps I used religiously on the iphone. Because they don't exist for BB 10, I had to use the mobile site. However, the mobile sites don't work! I think it has to do with browser recognition from the websites. I know this isn't Blackberry's fault, but to an end user, I don't care whose fault it is. I just want to be able to read news from the Toronto Star or look for deals on RFD without having to go to the full site using my smartphone.
    It's nice to see you giving the Z10 another try. Some of my friends have been impressed by the Z10, others are just too accustomed to iOS to bother tyring a different OS.

As for browsing, I'm just curious, what part of RedFlagDeals website doesn't work for you? I haven't used it too heavily thus far but the site seems to be working fine for me.
    02-20-13 12:02 PM
    Hmm, glad to have you back. I was wondering about your comments regarding the Toronto Star. I find the site works great on my Z10 browser. It's fast, clean and reactive. Sorry to hear you are having problems, perhaps you can bookmark the site on your desktop and try viewing it that way.
    02-20-13 12:15 PM
    6) Another thing I'm going to mention. Not a huge deal, but what's up with the cheap headphones that doesn't have volume control or track forward/rewind? If I'm paying $650 for a phone, this should not have been omitted.
    while i do agree, anyone that loves music most likely wont use any standard headphones. doesnt make em right for putting cheappy ones in the box, but guess it depends on your viewpoint.
    02-20-13 12:22 PM
    How are all these people buying and returning and then re buying devices. I bought a device from a cityfone and I think they gave me 15 days with no more than X number of days and a very small a month of data to use. I guess I'm not the type of person that would buy a device for evaluating purposes knowing that there is a food chance that I am going to have to return it. Seems like a colossal waste of time. My 2cents

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 12:23 PM
    LOL @ Commander Cornflakes... that made my morning.

Re: the headphones... be happy you got some. I remember when headphones, leather cases and SD cards were included in smartphones. Not to say it's bad to want extras, but they do increase the price.
    02-20-13 12:28 PM
    HAHA, who did you call Commander Cornflakes? That's funny.
    LOL...I remember that thread. Glad to see you gave it a chance and are overall pleased with it.

Welcome to the Darkside.

There is more to that but the user will not say it. He called me that name & about 50 users attacked him for making false claims & such on the Z10. Also the mods banned him for another reason not the reason he claims.

Anyways good to see Mister Sir giving it another try & liking it. Welcome back!.

Now this shows you guys how people just judge the first by using it for maybe a day or two. This user came back & used it for a bit longer & look.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...bb-z10-771049/
    meganVee likes this.
    02-20-13 12:29 PM
    Hmm, glad to have you back. I was wondering about your comments regarding the Toronto Star. I find the site works great on my Z10 browser. It's fast, clean and reactive. Sorry to hear you are having problems, perhaps you can bookmark the site on your desktop and try viewing it that way.
    I have trouble using the m.torontostar.com. For me presonally, I liked the mobile version of sites because the text all fit on the screen and it's easy to scroll through looking for articles to read. I don't like using my smartphone for the full browser version because i'm not fan of turning my phone on the side and then magnifying and demagnifying the sites to look around. I prefer the one handed method of browing through a mobile site.

while i do agree, anyone that loves music most likely wont use any standard headphones. doesnt make em right for putting cheappy ones in the box, but guess it depends on your viewpoint.
    I agree and i'm looking at the urbeats headphones. I just find it cheap on BB's part to not include that functionality. When I'm walking the dog in minus 15 degrees weather and I have gloves on, I don't want to fumble into my Canada Goose pocket and take the phone out and take off my gloves just to skip through a Britney Spears track. It was much easier with the iphone. Two clicks of the centre button on the remote, even with gloves on.
    02-20-13 12:31 PM
    I agree and i'm looking at the urbeats headphones. I just find it cheap on BB's part to not include that functionality. When I'm walking the dog in minus 15 degrees weather and I have gloves on, I don't want to fumble into my Canada Goose pocket and take the phone out and take off my gloves just to skip through a Britney Spears track. It was much easier with the iphone. Two clicks of the centre button on the remote, even with gloves on.
    well heres a little good news for you if you still have your iphone headphones, they work perfectly on the Z10, the volume keys even switch tracks like they do on the side of the phone. heck you can even activate voice control with a long middle press on the inline controls!

for reference i have the inner ear style app headphones from `last years` range
    02-20-13 12:48 PM
    I have trouble using the m.torontostar.com. For me presonally, I liked the mobile version of sites because the text all fit on the screen and it's easy to scroll through looking for articles to read. I don't like using my smartphone for the full browser version because i'm not fan of turning my phone on the side and then magnifying and demagnifying the sites to look around. I prefer the one handed method of browing through a mobile site.

In regards to the mobile site I agree but there is a work around at least for news based sites. You can go to the full desktop version and once you load the article you want to read you have the option to turn reader mode on the browser and only the text will appear. Reader mode can be found in the ellipsis (three dots in bottom right corner of the browser) .

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 12:56 PM
    I completely disagree. I prefer mobile sites on a mobile device, if they are done well. the desktop sites are a pain to navigate and they have so many ads. I personally wish companies would stop making apps all together and just focus on making a solid mobile web experience.
    02-20-13 01:04 PM
    Patience is sometimes a virtue. Glad you perce?,....perca?,.....purce?,........ stuck with it. Lol! ; )

Posted via CB10
    Revampd likes this.
    02-20-13 01:07 PM
    Hi OP, thanks for giving the Z10 a second chance and it is great to hear your opinions. I think that moving to a different platform is always going to be a bit of a culture shock so we all need to be prepared to give it time. Also, many of us are complaining about Link shortcomings and I am sure that BB will be working to improve this. I quickly found out that switching to Desktop Mode in the browser makes for a better and fuller experience on websites, and as has been said above, I find that the Z10 beats my PC hands down for page uploading. So many apps that are necessary to interract with sites on iPhone are simply not needed on the Z10. However I think we all agree that apps generally are in short supply and hope that the situation will change once the new BB10 devices gain headway in the marketplace.
    02-20-13 01:12 PM
    As far as the websites go, can you access them by going into the browser settings and switching on "Desktop Mode"?
    Desktop gets you the full PC version of a site. OP is looking for the mobile versions to replace his missing apps, but the mobile sites aren't rendering properly on his Z10.

I was actually going to ask the opposite to the OP: do you have desktop mode enabled? Try disabling it and see if you have better luck.
    If you have no idea what we're talking about, nevermind! It's disabled by default anyway.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 01:30 PM
    First to the OP....thanks for detailing your experiences and not making a users preferences the phones issue.... There are definately deficienies in the OS.....anyone moving to a BB10 device needs to remember that is is a first gen device... that being said there are bound to be shortcomings....it goes with the territory...so why do many users seem to have issue that there are bugs with it is beyond me.... If this were a 3 or 4th gen phone I would say there would be reason for complaints....
    02-20-13 01:55 PM
    As for browsing, I'm just curious, what part of RedFlagDeals website doesn't work for you? I haven't used it too heavily thus far but the site seems to be working fine for me.
    I think the OP wanted the mobile site specifically.

I'm curious... http://m.redflagdeals.com/ ?
    02-20-13 02:23 PM
31 12