Does anyone know of a retail kiosk/store in the downtown Toronto/High Park area that is reliably keeping a fully working and connected Z10 available to customers for demo? I went to two malls today, checked maybe 10 places, and all the ones I found were just in that factory demo mode.

I thought maybe I'd get lucky and have an employee offer a personal one to play with but no such luck.

I'm with Telus but about to switch to Rogers. Thanks.
    03-30-13 06:00 PM
    You can break out of demo mode if you search the forum for the procedure.
    03-30-13 06:02 PM
    You can break out of demo mode if you search the forum for the procedure.
    Really? Okay, that's good to know. Not sure how you would go about getting a demo device connected to the internet (I'm pretty sure the demo mode phones aren't) but I'll see if I can find out.

Thanks.
    03-30-13 06:09 PM
    Go to the future shop at McCowan and 14th they have a demo just hold down the top button and restart the phone, once it starts up you'll be out of the demo mode and it's connected to lte so you can browse and try making calls (they work)

Posted via CB10
    mset likes this.
    03-30-13 06:48 PM
    Every Future Shop I've been in since launch has had a fully functional black Z10 as well as a dummy white Z10 beside it. There has been decent support in stores for it here from what I have seen. The sales person at the Rogers store knew what he was talking about and was more than happy to sell me the Z10 on launch day, and despite admitting he preferred android, he told me he liked the interface and walked me through the first steps with it. He also mentioned that it was not his first Z10 sale for the day.

JB

Posted from my brain via CB10
    mset likes this.
    03-30-13 10:00 PM
    Every Future Shop I've been in since launch has had a fully functional black Z10 as well as a dummy white Z10 beside it. There has been decent support in stores for it here from what I have seen.
    Thanks JB and ali1t, I'll head to a FS if I can't get a demo version unlocked and functioning at the place that's near me
    03-30-13 10:17 PM
    I know Best Buy and Future Shop outside the Eatons Center and Dundas square have live demos. Rogers does as well.

Posted via CB10
    mset likes this.
    03-30-13 10:19 PM
    Save yourself the hassle and just buy the phone yeah you'll love that sweet, sweet sugar;:
    03-30-13 10:20 PM
    Save yourself the hassle and just buy the phone yeah you'll love that sweet, sweet sugar;:
    That is true BUT people want to use it a bit before buying it. It's like a mattress or a TV at a store. You are able to see them / use them for a few minutes or such before u buy them.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 10:22 PM
    I know Best Buy and Future Shop outside the Eatons Center and Dundas square have live demos. Rogers does as well.
    Okay, thanks. That's way closer to me, and two tries within a block, so I'll head down there. I tried the Rogers kiosk at Dufferin Mall and the guy looked like he didn't even understand the question. One word answer: 'No'.
    03-30-13 10:25 PM
    I think you can get out of demo mode by swipe down from top and choose exit demo. I remember doing that at a futureshop in toronto and it worked.
    mset likes this.
    03-30-13 10:28 PM
    Believe me, I want to! It's guaranteed that I'll own one at some point.
    03-30-13 10:28 PM
    There is also a easier way to get out of the demo mode. Instead of restarting the phone, just hold down the voice command button. It's the button between the volume buttons on the right.
    That will bring you to the voice command screen, from there you can just press it again, or just swipe up and out of that into the main screen of the Z10.
    I was messing around with a Z10 at Walmart trying to get out of the demo mode when I figured that out.

On a side note though. The demo mode for the Z10 is a complete joke. You don't get to experience any of the great gestures it features of the Z10. If I was a complete newb walking by and began playing with one, I would be like " this isn't anything Special"

Posted via CB10
    mset likes this.
    03-30-13 10:30 PM
    I think you can get out of demo mode by swipe down from top and choose exit demo. I remember doing that at a futureshop in toronto and it worked.
    Yes, there's a thread here that outlines a couple of different ways to try, including the one you mentioned. Again, it's not clear to me that the phone would get connected to WiFi/cell network if you get it out of demo mode, and I really want one that's connected. Worth a try though. FS or Best Buy seem like a good place to start.
    03-30-13 10:32 PM
    There is also a easier way to get out of the demo mode. Instead of restarting the phone, just hold down the voice command button. It's the button between the volume buttons on the right.
    That will bring you to the voice command screen, from there you can just press it again, or just swipe up and out of that into the main screen of the Z10.
    Thanks, I'll bring all these tries along when I go tomorrow. You're right, the demo mode doesn't show you much compared to what I've heard the phone can do. Today I also experienced a bit of what so many others have talked about here - that is, reps who either hate their job or don't know or care enough to show the slightest interest when a customer asks about the Z10. Lord CP said in his post above that a Rogers guy seemed informed so I guess it's all about who you get.
    03-30-13 10:36 PM
    Yeah there are way too many reps like that. I also see a lot of personal feelings brought into those jobs.
    "This is the device I use, so you should buy this one."

Not the best way to sell a phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 10:40 PM
    Really? Okay, that's good to know. Not sure how you would go about getting a demo device connected to the internet (I'm pretty sure the demo mode phones aren't) but I'll see if I can find out.

Thanks.
    Could be wrong but I thought it was supposed to have an internet connection for demo to run
    03-30-13 11:38 PM
    Could be wrong but I thought it was supposed to have an internet connection for demo to run
    I didn't see anything that would need an internet connection. The browser demo was just a bunch of screenshots of the landing page of ArsTechnica, BBC, BBRY, and a few others, with a message which basically said 'don't try to browse'. There was no way to navigate to a webpage. All the rest of the demo functions were just stored screens as far as I could tell. I could be wrong.
    03-30-13 11:49 PM
    I didn't see anything that would need an internet connection. The browser demo was just a bunch of screenshots of the landing page of ArsTechnica, BBC, BBRY, and a few others, with a message which basically said 'don't try to browse'. There was no way to navigate to a webpage. All the rest of the demo functions were just stored screens as far as I could tell. I could be wrong.
    Only speaking for Canada, but all demos are sent out with working SIM cards.

Posted via CB10
    mset likes this.
    03-30-13 11:54 PM
    Only speaking for Canada, but all demos are sent out with working SIM cards.
    Okay, this is good to know. I don't know enough about the phone to know if the simple presence of a SIM in the phone means that I'm connected if I manage to get it out of demo mode, but it will be obvious I guess. If anything it's going to be WiFi and not 3G/4G/LTE, right? Or do they provision each SIM card before putting the demo out? Is SIM 'provisioning' even necessary?

Sorry, I'm not tech savvy enough to know this. In any case, I'll just go down and check. If they have one that's fully functional, it will obviously be connected to WiFi. If I have to un-demo one, I'll see what happens.
    03-31-13 12:07 AM
    Okay, this is good to know. I don't know enough about the phone to know if the simple presence of a SIM in the phone means that I'm connected if I manage to get it out of demo mode, but it will be obvious I guess. If anything it's going to be WiFi and not 3G/4G/LTE, right? Or do they provision each SIM card before putting the demo out? Is SIM 'provisioning' even necessary?

Sorry, I'm not tech savvy enough to know this. In any case, I'll just go down and check. If they have one that's fully functional, it will obviously be connected to WiFi. If I have to un-demo one, I'll see what happens.
    The carrier that ships the demo phone will send out what's called a demo/test/promo (endless names) SIM card. It's fully active and is delivered with the Z10 intended for demo. The carrier absorbs 100% of the cost for this.

It will give the demo Z10 full access to the cellular network, so yes, LTE will work. You can pick it up and make calls.

If for some reason there's no SIM card, ask a rep to put the phone on WiFi or to put a SIM card in it. It's your right as a customer to be able to test it as you deem necessary

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 12:17 AM
    It will give the demo Z10 full access to the cellular network, so yes, LTE will work. You can pick it up and make calls.

If for some reason there's no SIM card, ask a rep to put the phone on WiFi or to put a SIM card in it. It's your right as a customer to be able to test it as you deem necessary
    Very good to know. I only asked one place (Best Buy Mobile) whether they'd activate one fully and he said no. I didn't ask again. I'm usually pretty good at getting through the initial 'no' but in this case I just wasn't sure where I stood.

Thanks again for the specific info. As a result of this thread, I'll get a working one in my hands next time.
    03-31-13 12:28 AM