I received my Z10 yesterday and like it alot so far.

That said, got an email late last night from someone who did not hold back on his experience with it.
    See below for his comments and let me know your thoughts...

Not sure if the hardware or software is responsible (maybe both).

Nothing but problems with this phone. Battery dead after 5 hours of just receiving emails and a handful of texts. Phone stays connected to charger more than it is used.

Phone will freeze and reboot 1-2 times per day.

Sometimes screen will lock in horizontal mode for long periods of time no matter how aggressively or carefully I attempt to bring it back in proper rotation.

Verizon will not release the latest BB update.

Email icons are gone. You must use the hub. Why not offer both options (Text msg still has an icon. But not email - come on). Takes a minimum of 2 swipes and 2 taps to see a new email (due to its forced integration into hub) - very silly design.

Tone/LED/Vibration is set universally for all email messages, can no longer customize notifications if you have multiple accounts - why?

No ability to "hide" email account(s) from hub.

BB way behind the curve in attempt to copy Android, and it appears they released this when it was only 80% done.

Waited for this phone for a year, wanted to like it, but too many problems. Should have waited and done it right. Maybe the Q10 works properly, but won't take that chance. returned phone and went back to my curve until I can decide on a device that doesn't have one foot in the grave.

Been a BB user for 8 years, now being forced to Android due to drastic changes of the OS, lack of customization, and strange issues. RIM may be completely out of business in a couple years if this is their answer to Android's market dominance. Sad.

Thx - J
    07-20-13 08:27 AM
    Phone will freeze and reboot 1-2 times per day.

Sometimes screen will lock in horizontal mode for long periods of time no matter how aggressively or carefully I attempt to bring it back in proper rotation.

Verizon will not release the latest BB update.

Email icons are gone. You must use the hub. Why not offer both options (Text msg still has an icon. But not email - come on). Takes a minimum of 2 swipes and 2 taps to see a new email (due to its forced integration into hub) - very silly design.

Tone/LED/Vibration is set universally for all email messages, can no longer customize notifications if you have multiple accounts - why?

No ability to "hide" email account(s) from hub.
    Most of these problems have been taken care of.
    Reboots are all but gone.
    Not sure about the locked screen.
    Verizon can be worked around with a leaked OS.
    To access HUB Swipe up and then right from any screen.
    You can hide anything from the HUB, just not remove it from the HUB list.
    FMB8900, FSeverino and howarmat like this.
    07-20-13 08:34 AM
    as much as I like my Z10 i can see what they are saying. I think it was released too early and the 10.2 update should have been the OS they released.
    hf199, eldricho, kojisan and 6 others like this.
    07-20-13 08:34 AM
    Why don't you use your phone and decide for yourself ?

Each person's experience will be different, and I must say some of your friend's points are valid, but others are definitely not.
    07-20-13 08:35 AM
    The problems with the hub suggests he just isn't using it properly / doesn't know how to. It certainly does not take 2 swipes and 2 taps to see a new email. And the text icon just takes you to the hub, it is entirely superfluous.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-13 08:38 AM
    I don't want an email icon as I prefer the hub. You can have email accounts not show in the hub. It's simple actually. If his battery is draining that fast and his phone is locking in landscape as described then there is something wrong with the phone. Try it for yourself. Don't worry about him.

I almost forgot. This phone isn't like android at all. I'm guessing he's never used android before.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-13 08:42 AM
    Yeah, your friend doesn't know how to use it, get a new friend.

Posted via CB10
    bradu1, vaioman, DetlevCM and 10 others like this.
    07-20-13 08:44 AM
    While true, most of that is fixed. BlackBerry needs to get the latest OS out the door. I have an extra BlackBerry that I give to people to demo. I always keep it up to date. 4651

Posted via CB10
    07-20-13 08:48 AM
    To each his own!

Posted via CB10
    07-20-13 08:52 AM
    Your friend has some valid points. Some are OS issues. Clearly still on 10.0. Stupid Verizon. Anyway. The only one I would suggest he play around with is the HUB. It is somewhat customizable. You can have your HUB only show emails or, as I do, mail from main account, texts and BBM. That's it. Notifications can't be hidden from the HUB. For me the HUB is efficient. And 2 swipes tells me they are using it inefficiently. I hope they can come back and take the time to adjust to the new OS. Some people can and some people can't. Just saying I hope they can.
    07-20-13 09:02 AM
    Most of these problems have been taken care of.
    Reboots are all but gone.
    Not sure about the locked screen.
    Verizon can be worked around with a leaked OS.
    To access HUB Swipe up and then right from any screen.
    You can hide anything from the HUB, just not remove it from the HUB list.
    couldnt have said it better... quite complaining and use the phone for more than 15 minutes. most of your complaints are baseless
    07-20-13 09:38 AM
    People are intimidated and even offended when presented with new things that don't readily fit into what they are familiar with. That's why grandparents are always so bitter at them darn whippersnappers and their fancy new 'gadgets', and will quickly latch on to whatever shortcommings they initially perceive to defend their disregard for the 'new', regardless of how minor they are relative to the advantages/utility.

Posted via CB10
    Anubhav Nagpal likes this.
    07-20-13 09:52 AM
    I came, I read, I left. And forgot I was ever here.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-13 10:03 AM
    Verizon's slow updates will kill a significant amount of existing and new Blackberry users; and Blackberry's hardware and OS should just work, and not frustrate and upset new users, most who don't either can't or don't want to be wasting time looking for, uploading or side loading beta and leaked updates, instead of just getting things done with their phone.
    21stNow likes this.
    07-20-13 10:27 AM
    People are intimidated and even offended when presented with new things...

Posted via CB10
    Oh, yeah! Look at the American political landscape... but, that aside: the Z10 is different and that is part of its strength. Unfortunately, part of the Apple "every Homer Simpson can use it", interface is... it better be simple and it better not change.
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    07-20-13 10:39 AM
    Please introduce your friend to CB forum and we'll help him fix his problems

Posted via CB10
    07-20-13 10:42 AM
    Sounds to me like your friend didn't know how to use the phone.

As BlackBerry users we should all be super pissed off at the bull**** Verizon is pulling with not updating the Z10. 10.0.9 wasn't even meant to be used and customers got updated to 10.0.10 right away. The fact that BlackBerry is losing customers and having their perceptions tainted by this crap is complete garbage. If I was a Verizon customer I'd be calling in launching complaints every day until they understood to get their act together.

Now I know there are leaks and the OP's friend should have just loaded a leak and had the amazing phone experience that he thought he was going to get, but that shouldn't be required path. I don't understand Verizon's tactics but it's complete and utter crap and BlackBerry shouldn't allow them to get away with it. Send out emails to customers letting them know it's Verizon that is holding back the update and that BlackBerry has fixed the issues that people are having with their phones.

Something needs to be done and done fast.
    Anubhav Nagpal likes this.
    07-20-13 11:36 AM
    You need to use the phone for a few weeks before it all makes complete sense. People get the phone and don't take the time to relax and set it up the way they want. Instead, they waste time on complaining about things that clear up later.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-13 01:11 PM
    My first suggestion would be to switch carriers...

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    07-20-13 01:18 PM
    I see only one valid issue on that entire list - the lack of custom profiles. The loss of that has been a problem I've just had to live with. I don't know if it will be restored in a future release or not.

As for everything else, it is either the fault of the carrier, has already been fixed, or simply a lack of user understanding. Battery and freezing issues could be unique to that specific device, as I've never had a problem with either.
    yellowhammer likes this.
    07-20-13 01:35 PM
    How did I know as soon as I started reading that list the carrier would end up being Verizon? Seriously, what the heck is wrong with that carrier?

Posted via CB10
    bgregory902 and hazarder like this.
    07-20-13 01:51 PM
    as much as I like my Z10 i can see what they are saying. I think it was released too early and the 10.2 update should have been the OS they released.
    Yea it may have been released too early, but according to them it was meant to be released earlier, and when BlackBerry pushed it back people complained so damn much lol so no. That being said, I do agree that it was released too early. Back to topic, your friend is pretty pessimistic lol those are all the most negative comments on the outcome of his VERIZON provided phone.

Posted via that z10!
    07-20-13 01:52 PM
    That's too bad that their experience with their Z10 was so bad. The OS update issue with the US carriers is terrible. The fact that Verizon still hasn't pushed out 10.1 is crazy. I don't get how this is even possible and why BlackBerry isn't stepping in and doing something about this.

Now about the issue mentioned in the email. As mentioned earlier, many of then have been fixed in updates that have been released (which brings us back to o's update issue with US carriers). As for not having an email icon, it really isn't needed. Also it does not take 2 swipes and 2 taps to get to a new email. From anywhere in the OS it's one swipe to get to the hub where you can see a new email and one tap to read it. An email icon will just bring you to the hub. Not sure why they bothered putting the text icon either.

I find with bb10, that it takes a bit longer to get comfortable with bb10 then it does with other OS's but once people really know how to use bb10, they tend to love it and would not want to go back to the old way of having to hit a home button to get out of an app, then into a new one and so on.

BlackBerry for life. Kick'n it with my Z10.
    07-20-13 02:44 PM
    Hub and email icons! Best of both worlds!

Posted via CB10
    07-20-13 03:26 PM
    At this point I am trying not to be cynical but come on VZW... wth, yes we know your in bed with Apple for a nice chuck of change but to "forget" an entire user base in order to push the iPhone??? BlackBerry should be taking VZW to task on this with some forms of legal activity. They can clearly prove that VZW isn't providing the experience that they've designed and therefor disrupting BlackBerry sales as well as tarnishing brand image. It's slander in sales form...

Posted via CB10
    bradu1 and bgregory902 like this.
    07-20-13 05:13 PM
55 123