He didn't say that it's the "norm" Re method of payment. He said having it on credit cards is the "norm", which is true, most cards now have the nfc chip. There's a good chance it will become the "norm".

Posted via CB10
    WRONG. He said a year from now it will be the preferred method of payment. Stop trying to defind wild and unsubstantiated lunical statements.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 04:09 PM
    On a related note, if Apple doesn't get on board with NFC, they're idiots. A year from now this will be a common and preferred method of payment.

Apple has been trash-talking NFC and pushing their own, proprietary solution.

I know - big surprise, right?
    12-15-13 04:10 PM
    He didn't say that it's the "norm" Re method of payment. He said having it on credit cards is the "norm", which is true, most cards now have the nfc chip. There's a good chance it will become the "norm".

Posted via CB10
    Indeed. I have been using tap to pay more and more frequently. I love it at the grocery store, so fast to just tap my card. Can't wait till my phone does it. My phone is always in hand, my credit cards I have to dig for in my wallet.

I've been kind of surprised the last few trips I've gone to the US to actually have to swipe my card and sign the receipt. So used to either chip and pin or tapping here in Canada.

Posted via CB10
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    So is this app side loaded or something? I can't seem to find it in blackberry world.. or maybe because I'm with Fido? Wonder if it's restricted completely to rogers. This exclusive sheet is bs.

Posted via CB10 on the Z10
    No I'm on TMO in the USA and downloaded it once.

BBW search sucks. Try finding the TMO Wifi Calling App.

Posted via CB10
    Stop trying to defind wild and unsubstantiated lunical statements.

I prefer Lunar statements.
    It would be nice if we youtube and amature video. I just orderd a new video camera that will arrive next week and will pick up the new Z30. hmmm
    12-15-13 04:32 PM
    My point of view is that NFC will not be the norm for payment in a year. That is my only point. Others are falling all over themselves to tell me I'm wrong, yet my only point was that it was pure idiocy to think that NFC will be THE NORM for payments in a year.

So I ask you, do you believe that NFC will be the predominant method of payment in one year. If you do not, then you agree with my original point.

Thank you for your agreement and ceasation of pointless argumentative posts when, in the end, you know what I know: that I'm right.

Posted via CB10
    I suppose it depends on the definition of norm you are using: "Something that is usual, typical or standard". I would say that it is the norm now.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 04:57 PM
    Is the CIBC mobile payment a paid service? That would suck because I don't want to get 1% cut every time I have to pay with my phone. On the other hand with AMEX card I got 2% back...
    it is free but has to be with a CIBC credit card (visa or mastercard) and with Rogers only.

Can anyone confirm this works with Z30? App isn't available for it, buy side loading the Z10 bar should work fine though right?

Posted via CB10
    doesnt work with Z30 because you have to call up CIBC after to activate and they wont activate with a Z30 unless you try to lie to them... also you need to be on Rogers

So is this app side loaded or something? I can't seem to find it in blackberry world.. or maybe because I'm with Fido? Wonder if it's restricted completely to rogers. This exclusive sheet is bs.

Posted via CB10 on the Z10
    Rogers only, for now maybe
    12-15-13 04:59 PM
    I live in a fourth world country. Mars

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.1055 O2 UK
    How's the coverage there?

Posted via CB10
    Omnitech and wyrdfool like this.
    12-15-13 05:01 PM
    I am a POS (Point of Sale) retailer here in Canada.

Everything we have installed in the last two years has been NFC (Tap to Pay) capable. I've never had anyone install any other proprietary systems. The USA was way behind the curve with debit, and it's not a surprise to see them late coming onstream with NFC.
    ibpluto and blackmoe like this.
    12-15-13 05:08 PM
    Arghh, I'm waiting for my bank to support nfc payments through an app. Today I did 4 payments, two through nfc and the other two swiped/pinned - gas station doesn't have nfc reader and the other purchase was over 50 bucks. I would say I make around 50% payments through nfc on average.

Posted via CB10
    rai187 likes this.
    12-15-13 05:10 PM
    So what major retailers are equipped with iBeacon. Most of them are already set up with NFC tap to pay. I have high hopes for BBM Money and hope that it's on John Chen's radar as a potential huuuuge, game changing moneymaker.
    Any one who happens to have any recent-ish iDevice in their stores, apparently. They all have Low Power Bluetooth, and from there on it's supposed to be no more than a software and server matter -- configure any aye-paddy or phone as a point of sale beacon and you're done; payments accepted from any nearby compatible device.

Quite sneaky of them.
    12-15-13 05:32 PM
    I live in a fourth world country. Mars

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.1055 O2 UK

Oa??

Squircle device powered by 10.2.1.1055
    12-15-13 05:34 PM
    If it was the norm then the batista wouldn't have been freaked out! Lol
    anon62607 likes this.
    12-15-13 05:39 PM
    MAKE works fine but, yes, it is a Bar Code based app. I've now used it a number of times.
    Just to update - hit Starbucks today to kind of stock up on Decafe Christmas blend (use it in espresso). They were having a special: you got a $5 gift card for every pound of Christmas you purchased, so I grabbed 4 pounds. I flashed my Z10 with MAKE at the scanner and it added $20 to my "card."

Now, do all US Starbucks have nfc processing or only some? Is there yet another setup or app necessary? Clearly, it has to be tied to some payment system.
    12-15-13 06:31 PM
    I live on Mississippi where we don't have indoor plumbing or electricity. How do you use the nFC at the coffee shop? See what I mean? We are too poor to afford capitalizing letters

Posted via CB10
    Omnitech and ppeters914 like this.
    12-15-13 06:34 PM
    Indeed. I have been using tap to pay more and more frequently. I love it at the grocery store, so fast to just tap my card. Can't wait till my phone does it. My phone is always in hand, my credit cards I have to dig for in my wallet.

I've been kind of surprised the last few trips I've gone to the US to actually have to swipe my card and sign the receipt. So used to either chip and pin or tapping here in Canada.

Posted via CB10
    You folks also seem to have the "swipe card at restaurant table" system in place whereas in the US our cards disappear into the nether worlds of restaurant backrooms!!!!
    12-15-13 06:35 PM
    You folks also seem to have the "swipe card at restaurant table" system in place whereas in the US our cards disappear into the nether worlds of restaurant backrooms!!!!
    Actually the norm is to use the chip or tap. I know if you have a chip you can't swipe at a POS that supports the chip.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 06:38 PM
    They have something called iBeacon which is already been taking off for them.

Posted via CB10
    If NFC also takes off, then Apple will release a new iPhone next year and it will be the "lastest and greatest with NFC!" and everyone would have to upgrade.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    12-15-13 06:45 PM
    Just set up my Tim app today. Trying it tomorrow.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 06:45 PM
    Actually the norm is to use the chip or tap. I know if you have a chip you can't swipe at a POS that supports the chip.

Posted via CB10
    I was at a Home Depot the other day and their chip readers weren't working... the attendant told me to swipe my card. I'd almost forgot how, stripe in or out?

It's also amusing when I host my California friends up here in the summer and we're out at a restaraunt. I pay the bill at the table with the wireless Point of Sale unit and they are impressed every time. :P

Tap & Pay is everywhere here as well, hopefully they get the smartphone end of it more integrated.

Cheers,
    12-15-13 06:49 PM
    I suppose it depends on the definition of norm you are using: "Something that is usual, typical or standard". I would say that it is the norm now.

Posted via CB10
    It's not.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 06:49 PM
    If it was the norm then the batista wouldn't have been freaked out! Lol
    Noooooo...apparently it's not the norm now, but in a year, it will be the only way to pay; no forms of non-NFC will be accepted anywhere.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 06:51 PM

Posted via CB10
    WRONG. I have a chip in my card, and I can choose to swipe or chip it in.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 06:53 PM
    If NFC also takes off, then Apple will release a new iPhone next year and it will be the "lastest and greatest with NFC!" and everyone would have to upgrade.
    It's not going to take off, so don't worry, you're nightmare scenario of Apple having another successful release won't come to fruition for this reason.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 06:55 PM
272 12345 ...