barista went home

Went home to clean his/her floors with his/her wet mop.
    12-18-13 09:37 PM
    I try to get gas only at. Costco. They pay employees enough that they don't risk letting some person onside their hardware to install hacking gear.

If you honestly think that you are immune to those card readers getting compromised for that so-called reason...
    12-18-13 09:39 PM
    If I had the option to pay less to not have auto lights I definitely would rather have the money... But they are standard now, so I don't care that it is there, as long as it's an option I can choose to not use, unlike some cars that FORCE the auto-light feature... Looking at you Chevy...

Back parking sensors I like for when I had a big truck, but other than that, never had an issue with parking without sensors in regular cars or small suv's like what I'm driving now (crossover suv). But now I keep my bike rack on the hitch of my little CUV all of the time, so sensors would actually do no good since it'll sense the bike rack and just go nuts all of the time, lol.

So yes, good for some people, not for others. Options are good.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Dont get me started on freaking parking sensors and lane change sensors and other and the stupid ford that parks itself...people cant drive as it is, soon it will be taboo for a human being to be capable of operating an automobile.

There is that BMW that makes engine noise from its speakers because its a muscle car but quite so people dont get disturbed by it. Its below 0* today and my friends mothers car died half way out of the driveway and the door was locked because it does so when she shifts out of park. She called me in a panic cause she couldnt unlock the darn thing with the unlock button or the remote, I had to calm her down and tell her to flip the lock attached to the door handle. I mean that thing rotates left and right everytime the car locks and unlocks...you have got to have noticed it in 5years. Apparently I saved her life as per her...SMH. Ironically I saw the same thing on "Outrageous 911 calls" show tonight except the caller was stuck in a hot car on a summer day and the 911 operator had to tell her to unlock it manually...whiskey tango foxtrot.

Who comes up with this crap? Its fine for older people or handicapped people to have assistance but its doing nothing for the masses, people are getting dumber on the road by the minute.
    12-18-13 09:50 PM
    Who comes up with this crap? Its fine for older people or handicapped people to have assistance but its doing nothing for the masses, people are getting dumber on the road by the minute.
    I totally agree

Squircle device powered by 10.2.1.1733
    12-18-13 09:55 PM

One thing I discovered, to my surprise, in the 20+ yrs I've been doing I.T. consulting: over time, my efforts to make things "easier" for people, often probably do more to handicap them, than to help them.

Because what they typically do as you keep trying to make things "easier", is stop even attempting to learn how to solve problems themselves, to the point where they become functional invalids with technology.

Sad commentary on humanity, and I probably initially missed it for so long because my own brain does not work that way, so I didn't even conceptualize that sort of mindset.
    12-18-13 10:30 PM
    Dont get me started on freaking parking sensors and lane change sensors and other and the stupid ford that parks itself...people cant drive as it is, soon it will be taboo for a human being to be capable of operating an automobile.

There is that BMW that makes engine noise from its speakers because its a muscle car but quite so people dont get disturbed by it. Its below 0* today and my friends mothers car died half way out of the driveway and the door was locked because it does so when she shifts out of park. She called me in a panic cause she couldnt unlock the darn thing with the unlock button or the remote, I had to calm her down and tell her to flip the lock attached to the door handle. I mean that thing rotates left and right everytime the car locks and unlocks...you have got to have noticed it in 5years. Apparently I saved her life as per her...SMH. Ironically I saw the same thing on "Outrageous 911 calls" show tonight except the caller was stuck in a hot car on a summer day and the 911 operator had to tell her to unlock it manually...whiskey tango foxtrot.

LOL, yah, pretty much. I love it when someone is in my backseat. If I don't open my door after shutting off the engine, the automatic door locks don't unlock all of the doors (my front doors unlock automatically whenever you pull the door handle just like every Ford has been doing for decades, and is all mechanical, not electronic). They would sit there and literally will not figure out how to manually unlock the door, they would rather ask me to unlock the doors using the switch. Seriously, there's a little stick sticking out of the door by the window, you pull that up, the door is unlocked, freakin' magic! :-D

Edit: GM cars like Chevy has this ridiculously stupid feature where all of the doors automatically unlock when you put the car in park. Really? So you'll never put your car in park unless you want to unsecure your entire car?? And before someone chimes in here about how unlikely it is that this feature will put someone in harm, it's actually gotten an ICE officer killed in Mexico... Driving a Suburban completely protected by bullet proof panels and windows, he was attacked by cartel members and the vehicle was forced off the road, when he put the car in park, it unlocked all of the doors. Of course with all of the gunfire he didn't hear the doors unlock, but the cartel members were able to open the door and kill him. What a stupidly ******** feature. Another "automatic" feature that does what it wants to do and not what you want it to do. At least Ford's system doesn't do that until you manually open the door yourself, after you show that un-securing your vehicle is your intention... I don't mind automatic features as long as they allow the driver or the user some control over it by having to do something to initiate it. That's why I like a system like NFC more, it is still automating a lot of things, but it first requires you to do something that is unlikely to be done accidentally, like simply passing through an area or close to something...
    12-18-13 11:37 PM
    That's why I like a system like NFC more, it is still automating a lot of things, but it first requires you to do something that is unlikely to be done accidentally, like simply passing through an area or close to something...

Exactly.

And let us not forget that in many cases, vendors implement some nannying feature that "seems kewl" without bothering to consider any but the most obvious scenarios, and then simply run with it anyway despite the fact that there will be quite a few cases where it will actually complicate matters (or in the example you gave - potentially endanger you), or waste the owner's time/energy being forced to override it.
    12-19-13 12:47 AM
    I want to do this.
    12-19-13 03:53 AM
    Cool stuff!

Subscribe to my channel @ C003C216D
    12-19-13 08:04 AM
    I would like to add, that I went to a Tims that Ive never been too last night ( yes shocking) and used the Tims app to pay, they were all crowded around watching me pay for my coffees and boston creme . I felt like a star. even customers started asking about it and so I had to buy another doughnut to show them. all the Oooohs were worth the extra purchase.
    niss63 and FF22 like this.
    12-19-13 09:54 AM
    Same experience here, the lady was like wtf is going on!? She had to call over the manager just to confirm that this was legit lol, then the manager confirmed I was the first one to pay this way, then the employees all started asking me how it works lol

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 11:54 AM
    Really? In one year from right now NFC is going to be the preferred method of payment? Really? As in you actually believe this? Okay....

No, you're wrong.

Posted via CB10
    ... way to go with your positive thoughts again huh Benj....

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 12:43 PM
    I would like to add, that I went to a Tims that Ive never been too last night ( yes shocking) and used the Tims app to pay, they were all crowded around watching me pay for my coffees and boston creme . I felt like a star. even customers started asking about it and so I had to buy another doughnut to show them. all the Oooohs were worth the extra purchase.
    Pics of donut or it didn't happen

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 01:37 PM
    If you honestly think that you are immune to those card readers getting compromised for that so-called reason...
    You must not buy gas in the US. Every ethnic mafia has had a shot at skimming, though usually it is the Russians.

The Costco pumped have all sorts of seals on them. On the reader and pump. They were the first to be proactive when skimming started.

So yeah, when I see the same people at the same store for a decade, I have a bit more faith in them than the clown at 7/11. Uh, no offense to clowns.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 04:22 PM
    You must not buy gas in the US. Every ethnic mafia has had a shot at skimming, though usually it is the Russians.

The Costco pumped have all sorts of seals on them. On the reader and pump. They were the first to be proactive when skimming started.

So yeah, when I see the same people at the same store for a decade, I have a bit more faith in them than the clown at 7/11. Uh, no offense to clowns.

Let me remind you about the specific words of yours that I was responding to - which are, as it turns out, quite a different statement than what you are making here:

I try to get gas only at. Costco. They pay employees enough that they don't risk letting some person onside their hardware to install hacking gear.

In other words - your rationale was that solely because Costco reputedly pay some unnamed category of employees more than some other unnamed companies' unnamed category of employees, that means you are safe from credit-card skimming.

And just like I wrote before, that's a silly assertion. At best.
    12-19-13 05:51 PM
    Let me remind you about the specific words of yours that I was responding to - which are, as it turns out, quite a different statement than what you are making here:

In other words - your rationale was that solely because Costco reputedly pay some unnamed category of employees more than some other unnamed companies' unnamed category of employees, that means you are safe from credit-card skimming.

And just like I wrote before, that's a silly assertion. At best.
    Have a nice day, but I suspect you never do.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 06:31 PM
    I'm usually freaked out by Starbucks baristas. I often find them being too nice. Creepy nice.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 07:08 PM
    Have a nice day, but I suspect you never do.

Sure I do.

For example just now, as I read your comment, it made me smile and chuckle.

I have to thank you for that.
    raino likes this.
    12-19-13 07:24 PM
    I'm usually freaked out by Starbucks baristas. I often find them being too nice. Creepy nice.

Posted via CB10
    I live in Seattle and when I order a latte, decafe only (jitters), I have to point to the cup size. I've never gotten use to the lingo. But I do have the MAKE app on my Z10 and it works but no nfc (sniff!).
    12-19-13 07:56 PM
    I live in Seattle and when I order a latte, decafe only (jitters), I have to point to the cup size. I've never gotten use to the lingo. But I do have the MAKE app on my Z10 and it works but no nfc (sniff!).
    I know what you mean. I never bothered with Starbucks lingo. It is all hipster speak to me.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 08:27 PM
    On a related note, if Apple doesn't get on board with NFC, they're idiots. A year from now this will be a common and preferred method of payment.
    Apple currently has the luxury of being very popular. Vendors will adapt to Apple's solution. Arrogance may work for now, but it may not always be a good strategy (Sony).

Posted via Z30
    12-19-13 09:00 PM
    I've been quite surprised by this thread (I know, I ought to be used to these sorts of arguments by now....)

Why I am so surprised? Because some contributors seem to be so incredibly parochial.
    It's just Benjamin. He's from NYC, so he probably has a hard time believing that anything of value could NOT originate from NYC.

Posted via Z30
    12-19-13 11:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    welcome to customer service, you must be a regular at Tim Hortons?

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 11:47 PM
    I know what you mean. I never bothered with Starbucks lingo. It is all hipster speak to me.

Posted via CB10
    At least the phone manufacturers haven't gone down that path yet. Ordering your double shot venti non-fat Z30.
    12-20-13 12:00 AM

Posted via CB10
    Don't think Phil Robertson likes them much.

Posted via my BlackBerry Zeadache
    12-20-13 12:23 PM
272 ... 891011